PDA

View Full Version : Aternatives to cutting hair out of frustration

akuamoonmaui
March 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Alright, due to a lousy couple days I had the urge to cut my hair. I didn't, I know better. But the thought was still there.

I know a lot of people take out their frustrations by cutting their hair, then regret it. So! As a public service, what suggestions can we give as a support mechanism.

Mine was to weed eat the dickens out of the yard. Ever make a hedge using a weed eater? :luke:That took cutting to a whole 'nother level and I feel much better now!

krissykins
March 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM
A trim might help. Or maybe learn new updos?

Kathie
March 14th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Special hair treatments... clarify and then deep condition.

Kherome
March 14th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Alright, due to a lousy couple days I had the urge to cut my hair. I didn't, I know better. But the thought was still there.

I know a lot of people take out their frustrations by cutting their hair, then regret it. So! As a public service, what suggestions can we give as a support mechanism.

How about a new hair toy?

P.S. Maui is the best!:D

irishlady
March 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Punch a pillow? Or a punchbag?

I do martial arts so sometime that helps hehe :p

I understand though, I have felt like cutting off my hair when I'm frustrated too. I usually just put it up in a bun so I don't have to look at it...

christine1989
March 14th, 2011, 10:30 PM
When I saw the title of this thread on the main page "alternatives to cutting" I thought it meant cutting yourself :laugh:.....which I don't reccomend. When I feel like cutting my hair the first thing I do is go to LHC and browse all of the inspiring profile pics. If that fails to deterr me I like to curl it or try a new updo so it is at least temporarily different.

BlueMuse
March 15th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I go into the closet and stare at my hair stick and hair clip collection and then ask myself again if I really think it's a good idea.

rosek
March 15th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I was having the urge to change my hair - the colour, the cut, something about it! But I knew I would regret it. So I got a nose piercing instead, and my hair remained intact ;) Quite alternative I know, but it really satisfied my urge for a fast change!

didrash
March 15th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I color it. I know its very bad for it, but I am a very intense emotional cutter, I SHAVED it, and coloring it is what let me get to almost APL.

Dina L.
March 15th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I S&D.
Or wash it, I love my freshly washed hair.

cuticom
March 15th, 2011, 04:34 AM
My problem is I adore hair cuts, but I won't have long hair if I went to a hairdresser as often as I'd like to. Normally I'll stick it in a simple bun and do something I love. If i just want to do something I'm working on creating a matching bedroom furniture set from op shop furniture so that lways keeps mind and hands busy. If I just want to pamper I'll wash it and clarify and do a conditioning treatment and do my nails while it's drying....

Wanderer09
March 15th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I braid it...there's something about seeing my hair in a neat braid that makes me go "Now, do you really want to cut that off?"

NouvelleNymphe2
March 15th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I do a lot of the things already mentioned: clarify, deep condition, cassia, any vigorous exercise, stretching, get outside in the fresh air, buy myself something little like a hair toy, or perhaps go to my favorite sushi place. Getting on the LHC also helps. I have committed to challenges like the "Wear your hair up challenge" and the "No Trims." Putting a little oil in my hair and putting it up and shooting for 6 months of no trims has really helped. Other than that, figuring out what is bothering me and positive self encouragement helps with these inner frustrations. That's all I've got for now. Good thread OP :).

maddog_running
March 15th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Long walks in the fresh air are good for all kinds of frustrations :D. But generally just putting my hair up and out of the way helps too.

CarpeDM
March 15th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I second the hair toys. With all the enabling, it is so easy to spend hours drooling over hair toys and trying to decide which ones to get :ponder:

Fairlight63
March 15th, 2011, 07:58 AM
When I think about cutting I look at old pictures of myself with short hair & how awful I looked.

Or: I look at all of my expensive hair toys & think what a waste to not be able to wear all of these pretty hair toys. Think about all of the pretty hairstyle that you could do with them. With short hair you can only wear it one way - short.

Or: Think about if you have short hair how much time you will have to spend in the hairdresser getting it cut - I hate going to the hairdresser - then when you come home have to redo it because you don't like they way that they did your hair.

Panth
March 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
If it's to do with the feel of the ends, clarify.