PDA

View Full Version : People can be so mean!

Siava
June 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I post this because one of my bestest buddies (the one with classic length, of course) almost hates to have her hair down when we go out. It's sexah as all heck, but she gets worried. Why, might you ask? Because vindictive, immature, sourly jealous women will put gum in her hair as she walks by or pulls it. It's gotten to the point where we'll only go to places where we know the employees very well or she'll wear it up even though she doesn't want to. This makes me feel badly for her and also makes me worry about the future for myself. Does anybody else run into catty women that are so insanely jealous of your hair that they do things to damage it on purpose?

DecafJane
June 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Gum???? Where do you live??? Wow, that is horrible.

Fencai
June 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM
that's one of the most HORRIBLE things I have ever heard!!!
What "Grade" are we in?! :steam

Alethia
June 12th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Eeek! That's awful, poor lass.

Sana
June 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Aww that sounds so mean. I do remember this happening to me once in school & it was one stupid guy who for some reason still happens to be my friend. But I never felt like tucking my hair after that. I think you can let your hair lose as long as its not in a group setting like a pub with a bunch of drunk kids.

spidermom
June 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Craziness! Nope, I've never known of a single case of something like that happening anywhere near me.

FrannyG
June 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I've never heard of such a thing--not even in primary school! :bigeyes:

Islandgrrl
June 12th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Oh, that's just horrible!!! How could anyone be so terrible? I've never, ever been targeted like that - not even when my hair was knee length. I'm sad for your friend!

Missie
June 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Sadly that doesn't surprise me. I've read of a young woman who had extremely long hair and she wore it in one long braid down the front of her body (under supervision) because of the threat someone will cut it off.
There are some sad jealous people out there.

Siava
June 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Gum???? Where do you live??? Wow, that is horrible.

When we go out it's in Charleston, SC...so to all of you long haired women, be cautious of your hair if you're ever here!! The worst place this happens to her (happens every single time she goes) is The Music Farm. I don't know why she's such a target, but her getting zeroed in like that makes me so angry!

Quirky&Perky
June 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Gum?!?!! That's terrible!! I've heard, of course, of awful things happening when people with scissors hold grudges but that should never happen just walking down the street! What a mature attitude,huh- I can't have it so I'm going to make sure you don't either, or at least make sure you don't enjoy it.

kwaniesiam
June 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Oh my god, that brings back bad memories. When I was in first grade, I had past BSL hair and a boy in my class thought it would be funny to stick a giant wad of gum in the middle of my hair. I got in so much trouble for hitting him as hard as I possibly could, but to me at the time it sure felt a lot better than just him getting scolded by the teacher :steam

Quirky&Perky
June 12th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Oh my god, that brings back bad memories. When I was in first grade, I had past BSL hair and a boy in my class thought it would be funny to stick a giant wad of gum in the middle of my hair. I got in so much trouble for hitting him as hard as I possibly could, but to me at the time it sure felt a lot better than just him getting scolded by the teacher

Just SCOLDED?! Arg! I would have hit him too...probably in a very sensitive place.

angelthadiva
June 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I post this because one of my bestest buddies (the one with classic length, of course) almost hates to have her hair down when we go out. It's sexah as all heck, but she gets worried. Why, might you ask? Because vindictive, immature, sourly jealous women will put gum in her hair as she walks by or pulls it. It's gotten to the point where we'll only go to places where we know the employees very well or she'll wear it up even though she doesn't want to. This makes me feel badly for her and also makes me worry about the future for myself. Does anybody else run into catty women that are so insanely jealous of your hair that they do things to damage it on purpose?

Ya know, it's not just the catty women your friend needs to worry about...It's apparently the hair f*t!sh dudes too. I have been so creeped out lately as to what lengths people will go through to do what they want...Ahem, or in this case, get what they want.

Demetrue
June 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I was once riding on the schoolbus and a boy sitting in front of me threw his bubblegum out the window and it blew back in through my window into my hair. Thankfully, a kind teacher got some peanut butter and spent about 30 minutes carefully extracting the gum from my hair. The peanut butter acted as a solvent and my hair was not damaged. I had been sure I was going to have to cut the gum out.

AprilElf
June 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I really, truly despair of people sometimes. Where is the common-sense, the manners, the respect ...?! :confused:
I'm so sorry this is happening to your friend, Siava. It must be extremely upsetting when it happens.

I was riding the bus into town exactly a week ago and I got very nervous about my hair. I was wearing it down (freshly washed!) and there were lots of 11-12 year-old school children on the bus. In my head I was chanting, "Please don't put gum in my hair ... please don't put gum in my hair ..."
Such a thing had probably never crossed their minds, but I felt quite uncomfortable.

Alaskanheart
June 12th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Ya know, it's not just the catty women your friend needs to worry about...It's apparently the hair f*t!sh dudes too. I have been so creeped out lately as to what lengths people will go through to do what they want...Ahem, or in this case, get what they want.

Ummm Ewww thats just weird.What do they do?

Thats really sad that she has that happened to so often.Im not very surprised at how mean and nasty some women who are very insecure and jealous can get.I run into it all the time not for hair but for other things.I dont get it, but then again Im not insecure jealous or mean.

ilovelonghair
June 12th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I always wear my hair in front just in case. Not only because of nasty people, but it can get stuck to something: stuck between the car door, stuck on a chair, or on a door handle etc.

SweetPea88
June 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
That's so terrible to hear! I don't understand why people think they have the right to do something like that! Grrr...this makes me really angry and worried.

manderly
June 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Geez. I've never imagined anyone being that evil. That would earn them a bop in the nose from me though. You wanna see catty? I'll show ya catty.....RWAAAWRRRR!!!!

Aisha25
June 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Geez. I've never imagined anyone being that evil. That would earn them a bop in the nose from me though. You wanna see catty? I'll show ya catty.....RWAAAWRRRR!!!!
Haha..:laugh:!!

lazyjayn
June 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Hmmm... Never happened to me in Chuck... then again, I think I went to the Farm all of once.

Try the... rats, I can never remember the name- the gay club just about right next door (toward e. bay)- the one with the drag show. Never had a problem there. Also, Big John's is usually cool. And the tapas place between that and the Market. I think that's still there. Then again, I hang with cooks when I'm in town, and usually avoid weekends, so....

j.

intothemist1999
June 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I think it's more insidious that just jealously or maliciousness, though that might be at the root of it....I really do think these are people that have a basic urge to HURT somebody, and they have enough restraint to hold it in for the most part. HOWEVER, they CAN lash out by inflicting damage on a body part that just AIN'T gonna bleed all over the sidewalk, and they know the victim is a whole lot less likely to gain help from the public.

Curlsgirl
June 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM
A girl once did that to me in Junior high school (Middle school). I thought she was my friend but she came up behind me and said, "Oh your hair is so pretty and touched it in the back". Later I realized what she had done and I was so hurt. My Mom got it out with peanut butter thankfully. I am sure she was making fun because my hair really was ugly then. I had no clue about how to take care of it. It was frizzy and ugly. Still, I have never forgotten it. Kids can be so mean. PEOPLE can be so mean. It's hard to understand how anyone can do something like that. I would wear my hair up ANYWHERE I didn't feel comfortable. It's sad to have to do that but I would rather do that than risk it if I were your friend. Save the down times for the special occasions. It's better for your hair anyway. Sorry this is happening to her!

themostsilly
June 12th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I have a kind of similar story to share- my fiance's younger brother has always worn his hair long, only short once since he was very young, I'm not sure if he likes the long look, or if it's more of a security thing for him since he doesn't take very good care of it, but anyway. His mom I guess wanted him to get a hair cut so he would feel better about his appearance, and thought if she just hacked a big piece off while he was sleeping he would be forced to get it all cut. Needless to say she tried to cut a piece by his face, he flinched, and she cut his ear pretty badly. He did get a trim afterward, but she never really bugged him agian about a hair cut b/c she felt so bad about cutting his ear.
I think it is aweful when people are cruel for no reason really, but I think so many people are so immature they will just act in any way they please with no regard other people feelings. It would be nice if everyone could just be nice and respectful to everyone else-doesn't seem like it would be that hard...

Angellen
June 12th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I think it's more insidious that just jealously or maliciousness, though that might be at the root of it....I really do think these are people that have a basic urge to HURT somebody, and they have enough restraint to hold it in for the most part. HOWEVER, they CAN lash out by inflicting damage on a body part that just AIN'T gonna bleed all over the sidewalk, and they know the victim is a whole lot less likely to gain help from the public.

I definitely agree.

People can be so horrible sometimes, for no real reason. I hope it gets easier for your friend, poor dear...

longhairedfairy
June 13th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I was once riding on the schoolbus and a boy sitting in front of me threw his bubblegum out the window and it blew back in through my window into my hair. Thankfully, a kind teacher got some peanut butter and spent about 30 minutes carefully extracting the gum from my hair. The peanut butter acted as a solvent and my hair was not damaged. I had been sure I was going to have to cut the gum out.

That's horrible.
I don't think I've ever heard of using peanut butter, but it makes sense because it has quite a bit of oil in it (do the other ingredients help as well?). I'd always heard that you could hold ice against the gum (to freeze/solidify it) and chip it (I guess chip off the excess) and use baby oil to detach it from the hair.

paradoxx
June 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I'll I can say is that anyone who grabbed my hair in a club would only do it once. :evil:

I am honestly horrified that grown women would behave in such a manner.

k_hepburn
June 13th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I'm imagining ways of hair self-defence here, that would hurt anybody trying to interfere with it. Chemicals are out, of course, as they might damage the hair. But maybe she could go Medusa - hide a vicious looking (but of course not poisonous) little snake in her hair - next time she goes out to one of those places. I just love to imagine the look on someone's face who's trying to maliciously reaching for your friends hair to see it come to life! :demon:

All right, enough with the wild fantasies

katharine

rapunzhell13
June 13th, 2008, 01:48 AM
To me the worst part is that more often than not they don't get into any sort of trouble for it. Sadly most people just think "Oh, it's just hair... It's not like they hurt you or anything". It makes me furious!!!

morgwn
June 13th, 2008, 02:04 AM
That is absolutely insane. And ridiculous. I'm quite shocked and appalled that grown people would behave in such a manner. Unfortunately for your friend, she probably is better off wearing her hair up when she's around areas such as those and just wearing it down when she's somewhere that she feels comfortable. I do remember that when I was younger and had waist-length hair I wore it up every day in a ponytail at school because the kids were always mean and I never felt comfortable around them. I did wear my hair down though whenever I was on the beach or out hiking or somewhere else outdoors. Perhaps that's the way that it has to be for us long-hairs in some areas. :(

Saranne772
June 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Ouchie!! I get paranoid but the gum hasnt happened to me since primary school when I was 9!!

HotRag
June 13th, 2008, 02:56 AM
In the 90's someone that hate me, cut off a piece of my long hair (about waist or more at the time). I didn't notice at once, but day after, I could see it.

The same woman used to make other do mean things to med, also liked poring a beer over my head, and laugh.

Back in school some liked to pull my hair hard, or drag me in one of my braids, laughing about "haha, she doesn't cry".

I think people behave like this because I have aspergers syndrom/autism. People at once can feel or notice that I'm different. Some people use people like me, to let their anger or frustration out on.

soleluna
June 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM
well that's terrible! thank god it never happened to me

flapjack
June 13th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Ahhh, I'm really sorry to hear this. :( People are just sick in the head, honestly.

When I was in 2nd grade, two girls in my class dragged me into the bathroom by my pigtails (I used to have knee-length hair that my mom would often put into two braids for school), pulled out a pair of scissors and threatened to cut it off. I ended up telling the principal and they both got expelled for it.

Other than that, I've been very very lucky.

Medvssa
June 13th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I've never heard of such a thing--not even in primary school! :bigeyes:
No? I got a lot of **** in kindergarten (yes...) and primary school because of my big, quite long, curly hair. Apart from constant verbal abuse, pulling, putting stuff in it (gum, food, the aluminum paper from the wrapping of their sandwich (wrapped around my own hair)... anything they could think of. And my hair was up in a ponytail or two most of the time, this did of course not stop them. I am glad and kind of surprised nobody ever took scissors to it, especially as I have had people cutting my clothes.

At the time I thought the kids just hated me and I was just their clown. Every class has one. Of course the teachers only said "please stop being noisy", and often blamed me because I was always involved. I must have been doing something wrong, right?

I am very happy I went to art school instead of high school. There nobody made fun of anyone, such a relief you can not imagine!

Siava
June 13th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Hmmm... Never happened to me in Chuck... then again, I think I went to the Farm all of once.

Try the... rats, I can never remember the name- the gay club just about right next door (toward e. bay)- the one with the drag show. Never had a problem there. Also, Big John's is usually cool. And the tapas place between that and the Market. I think that's still there. Then again, I hang with cooks when I'm in town, and usually avoid weekends, so....

j.

The Pantheon. We've never had problems in there either.

Tap Dancer
June 13th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Seriously, adult women put gum in her hair out of jealousy? :eek: I'm glad I don't live there. That sounds like middle school behavior.

Mary <><
June 13th, 2008, 05:40 AM
My SIL had someone at her work put a big long piece of packaging tape in her nearly waist length hair. shudder: I will never understand why people worry so much about what is on someone else's head. STRANGE!

bex487
June 13th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I cannot believe that happens outside of kindergarten! Truly, truly pathetic. Those women must have such sad lives to stoop so low.

Chrissy
June 13th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I think people who get there jollies in mistreating others for any reason are very insecure people. They have to do things to make others miserable in order to make themselves look superior. Ridiculous!! My mantra and my favorite bumper sticker is:

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!!!

KnightsLady
June 13th, 2008, 07:06 AM
It's sad, but I think that some people don't think that far ahead when they act. They think something will be funny and act on it without really stopping to consider what they are doing (or saying). It may just be that they have a twisted and unconsidered idea of what is funny or appropriate. It's still sad though.

angelthadiva
June 13th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Ummm Ewww thats just weird.What do they do?

Thats really sad that she has that happened to so often.Im not very surprised at how mean and nasty some women who are very insecure and jealous can get.I run into it all the time not for hair but for other things.I dont get it, but then again Im not insecure jealous or mean.

See Rule 34 (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rule+34) and Rule 35 (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rule+35) I will send you a PM :flower:

wolf girl
June 13th, 2008, 07:35 AM
When I was young I had classic length hair. In 5th grade, I boy was holding my hair in one hand and :scissors: in the other, predenting he was cutting it. Then, he droped my at the same time he closed the scissors and yep, part of my hair fell on the floor!:angry: I was litterally :wail: and my parents were :steam. He ended up getting suspended from school for a few days.

MissHair
June 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Adults can be so freaking immature and idiotic. Im ashamed of them.

ladykemma
June 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
i have been followed by hair ******ests in shopping malls and the grocery store. be careful out there.

my hair was hip length then. now it's just BSL.

flaming bunny
June 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
People really confuse me, adults acting like children especially!
I wore my hair down in public recently...as a car of guys drove past, they all shouted "Get a hair cut!" out of the window. Bizarre world we live in :rolleyes:

bunnii
June 13th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I had someone put gum in my hair at school, I didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me then some other kids were laughing about how they were going to put more in my hair! I walked out of the school right there because the teachers wouldn't do anything and I stayed home as long as I could. I still think about it and it still makes me angry over 10 years later. I mean how dare they?!? but I refuse to let someones nastyness dictate how I wear my hair. :mad :mad

katiana
June 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Wow..this is really sad to hear..people can be so mean..I know kids can be mean..gosh, this is what I am so scared of for my childrens sake..they have to deal with all of this in school..it really churns my stomach thinking about it.

Sissilonghair
June 14th, 2008, 02:07 AM
This is childs acting,for sure this lady was insane...how did she removed the gum?

Medvssa
June 14th, 2008, 03:14 AM
People really confuse me, adults acting like children especially!
They are one and the same thing.

Riot Crrl
June 14th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I don't understand how a tactic like that could even occur to anyone over the age of 7.

Periwinkle
June 14th, 2008, 04:39 AM
That is despicable.

eresh
June 14th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Sounds familiar, unfortunately..

I've had things whispered to me like "I wish I had brought my scissors with me..." "we should hold our lighter under your hair"
Things like that. (and also not just hair-related remarks)
Only one time some girl put gum into it, luckily not too bad and it could be quickly removed by my friend.
The worst are girlfriends of guys who point you out to them and say "look what long hair"...

At the clubs I go to mostly (goth, industrial) I've never experienced these kinds of things.
People respect eachothers clothes/hair more there it seems.
This was always at mainstreamconcerts or at mainstream clubs.
And then there's the following around of certain f-etishists, I don't mind fet-ish people, just leave it at the clubs/private places and don't follow people around or touch them....

Haith
June 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Maybe I'm a total innocent, but the only thought that crosses my mind when I see someone with longhair is "Wow, that is so beautiful", and if I approach it is only to give the compliment. However, I know all to well the extreme amounts of time and work that go into keeping/maintaining long hair. Perhaps others just don't realize? Perhaps to others it is "just hair" and it will grow back. But to us it is part of ourselves, our identity. I find it sickening that people can be so cruel, selfish and careless.

BJ
June 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM

You know I think that you have a good point, there are some screwy people out there, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is what goes through some minds.

Lady Godiva
June 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I think people who get there jollies in mistreating others for any reason are very insecure people. They have to do things to make others miserable in order to make themselves look superior.I agree. I see this behavior in adults, too.

There are many pompous, self-important adults who ultimately boil down into insecure, immature children. Their insecurity masquerades as importance and puffs up itself in pride, ego and self-entitlement to justify harming or debasing someone else. Jealousy and envy stem from insecurity that's not dealt with by the person who has the problem of insecurity. As they say, grow up and get over yourself.

Eirinn
June 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Well, this is just kinda provocative lenght - let's be honest. And people are ain't angels:shrug: If we lived in the Middle Ages that would be common, but now can bring thoughts about scisors, unfortulnately, and those who grow it that long have to take it under consideration.

In my country there aren't such a problems - there's a lot of long-haired people - you just go down the street and bump into a girls with Hip/TB lenght or on a long-haired guy.

Gum goes away if you put it (with hair) into freezer.

Siava
June 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hmm. I wonder how many times I'm going to have to sit by my refrigerator in the future. :lol:

JessTheMess
June 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM
that disgusts me. I hate jealous people

iluvmy67cuda
June 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM
All i can say, is that if someone tried to f&#% with my hair, i would HURT them, male or female, i would seriously break their nose!!! Or at least make them bleed a little! omfg. That pisses me off even thinking about it!!!

daydreamer
June 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Wow @_@ you would think people would be past that kind of behavior as adults!! But clearly no.
I got gum in my hair when I was 6, and my mom had to rub a bunch of peanut butter in it to get it out. It did work, thankfully!

getoffmyskittle
June 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Really, now. :crazyq:

vidgrl007
June 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
There are alot of mean ppl out there.:(

Teresa9000
June 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I've never heard of the freezer trick, but rubbing peanut butter on the gum will get it out. When I was little I fell asleep with gum in my mouth...Thankfully, my mom knew exactly what to do.

I can't imagine grown adults acting so viciously immature just because they're jealous of a woman's hair. What kind of world do we live in?