PDA

View Full Version : curly hair people, combing

gthlvrmx
March 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
is it better if i comb my curly hair to put it up in a braid or bun?
Im concerned over tangles

ravensinger13
March 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I wait until mine's dry, but that's mostly because it dries faster that way. It also seems like there's less breakage that way.

Copasetic
March 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I almost always comb my hair before I put it up. I haven`t had any issues with it.

Dina L.
March 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I only comb my hair when my tangles are more relaxed. Let's say at day 2 or 3 after washing. And I never comb my hair right after washing it.

lacefrost
March 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I do it wet because I get breakage when I do it dry. You may just have to try both to see what works best.

Madora
March 13th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Always detangle before styling.

Hair is at its most fragile when wet, so wait until it is completely dry.

Also, detangle from the ends up. Work slowly, taking small pieces of hair. Use a wide tooth comb and do it gently.

If you encounter any snarls/mats/tangles, use your fingers to loosen the tangle.

curlychica702
March 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM
as long as you detangle it well after you wash it ur hair shouldnt tangle much.:D

curlychica702
March 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM
oh and if ur hairs curly only comb it when wet and start from the bottom, dont comb it when dry it will cause damage and disrupt the curly pattern.

virgo75
March 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I detangle wet or dry depending on how I'm styling my hair.

But if it's dry, I've started using a spray leave-in that makes it detangle easier and causes less possible damage(though I don't know if I've ever had damage from detangling dry).

Mountaingrrl
March 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I detangle dry, with fingers only.

UltraBella
March 13th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I detangle with a wide toothed comb before washing and again after washing while my hair is damp. I also detangle before I put my hair up, or style my hair, etc.
I can not wait until my hair is dry to detangle, it would be a disaster.

Athena's Owl
March 14th, 2011, 02:54 AM
is it better if i comb my curly hair to put it up in a braid or bun?
Im concerned over tangles

I think I know what you're asking, but confirm for me:

after a wash and air dry with your hair curly and loose, say for a day or even two days, it's time to put it up in a bun or wear braids. is it all right to comb it then, to take out the tangles?

the answer is, yes. I usually start with a gentle finger combing, and then move on to combs and brushes, and then sometimes oiling the ends or an even heavier oiling teratment at the start of "updo days."

when i'm in updo days I usually take my hair down and detangle/comb it every day.

Debra83
March 14th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I cwc almost every day; I comb it with a wide tooth comb while it is soaked in conditioner, then if I towel dry, I comb it again with a different wide tooth comb and either leave it air dry or put it in a braid damp. If I don't towel it, I don't touch it with a comb again until next wash - although I have a large paddle brush that I sometimes run through it if I'm taking pictures or if I've heavily oiled it.

If it is dry and down, and I decide to put it in a braid or bun - I don't comb it at all before hand. Too much breakage ensues.

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I think I know what you're asking, but confirm for me:

after a wash and air dry with your hair curly and loose, say for a day or even two days, it's time to put it up in a bun or wear braids. is it all right to comb it then, to take out the tangles?

the answer is, yes. I usually start with a gentle finger combing, and then move on to combs and brushes, and then sometimes oiling the ends or an even heavier oiling teratment at the start of "updo days."

when i'm in updo days I usually take my hair down and detangle/comb it every day.

Ah ok! Because i love having the curls, my hair is this odd poofy wavy look when i comb it, and it seems to be harder to untangle when its curly. Thank you!

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I cwc almost every day; I comb it with a wide tooth comb while it is soaked in conditioner, then if I towel dry, I comb it again with a different wide tooth comb and either leave it air dry or put it in a braid damp. If I don't towel it, I don't touch it with a comb again until next wash - although I have a large paddle brush that I sometimes run through it if I'm taking pictures or if I've heavily oiled it.

If it is dry and down, and I decide to put it in a braid or bun - I don't comb it at all before hand. Too much breakage ensues.

You get breakage when it's dry?

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I detangle with a wide toothed comb before washing and again after washing while my hair is damp. I also detangle before I put my hair up, or style my hair, etc.
I can not wait until my hair is dry to detangle, it would be a disaster.

So you put your hair up while damp? I don't like the feel of my hair when wet to put in a bun of braid. I have noticed it's really tangled though when it's curly after drying, even if i combed it through when wet smoothly, with fingers and comb. Maybe it's just a curly hair thing

Pierre
March 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I comb my hair in the shower, braid it when damp, and leave it braided for a few days while changing the updo (right now each braid is stretched over my crown and clipped to the other braid's base). Then I take another shower, undo the braids, comb the shed hairs out, and rebraid.

gthlvrmx
March 16th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I comb my hair in the shower, braid it when damp, and leave it braided for a few days while changing the updo (right now each braid is stretched over my crown and clipped to the other braid's base). Then I take another shower, undo the braids, comb the shed hairs out, and rebraid.

oh really? that's really neat :) Are you extra careful with it since it is wet longer?

Firefox7275
March 17th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I had perms in my teens - including too tight and on top of colour - my hair was thick but never much past shoulder so it might not be the same for you. I had a super-wide tooth comb with a pick on the end. Like this one:
http://store.tenderheaded.com/cr6wseco.html
Other than that just finger combing before and during washing. I only ever used that comb when there was conditioner on - I used a cream leave-in and plenty of it. Any sticky or snaggy parts would come loose after wetting or during shampooing because of the cream conditioner: accidental CWC, ha ha! :p