PDA

View Full Version : How to Co-Wash?

baroness727
March 12th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here, and know barely ANYTHING about proper care of long hair that's trying to grow. I'm pretty sick of regular shampoo, and have never had a good experience with "organic" shampoos. So, I'm considering getting into co-washing.
Which I have NO IDEA how to do properly. -__-'
Can anyone share any tips with me? Greatly appreciated! Thanks! ^^
(If this helps, I have bra-strap length, thick, curly/wavy semi-perm color-treated hair that's prone to breakage, tangles and frizz. I also straighten the top and my bangs.)

Dragon
March 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Hi, welcome to LHC. Here are a few links on co washing:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=70

Dragon
March 13th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Here is another link:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

annsue83
March 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I thought you were not supposed to apply CO to your scalp as it would clogg up your follicles but the article says to apply it to the scalp too...*confused*

abribun
January 30th, 2017, 06:27 PM
I tried co-washing tonight for the first time and my hair has NEVER been softer!!! I made a mistake though and did it when I had oils in the front parts of my hair and it didn't wash out but the rest is so nice!!!

Ophidian
January 30th, 2017, 07:37 PM
I thought you were not supposed to apply CO to your scalp as it would clogg up your follicles but the article says to apply it to the scalp too...*confused*

I think it works fine for some people and some have issues. There isn't much hair product or method wise that is always bad/good, what works varies a lot from person to person and you just have to try it out and see :)

mizukitty
January 30th, 2017, 07:50 PM
I have a lot of mostly fine (some medium) hair, and a very oily scalp. I have to wash it every other day with *something* or it looks awful at the roots. I have tried to stretch washes to no avail, I just have oily skin + scalp. Makes sense, since my immediate family has the same problems with skin and scalp.

So, even with fine, oily hair, CO washing works wonderfully for me. I know everywhere says it's best for course, curly, dense hair types, but I find the conditioner you use has more to do with it than hair type. If I were to use a very heavy conditioner like some curlies use and swear by, I'd look like a mess.

But my favorite for my hair/scalp type is hands down Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner. It has quite a bit of surfactants, and the emollients are lightweight. I get a TON of volume, and can usually just use that without any conditioner on length afterwards. Sometimes I can't believe how clean and soft my hair is after using it.

But yes, most cone free conditioners will mildly cleanse your hair. The emulsifiers allow your sebum to be rinsed away with water, and the small amounts of surfactants will further help to remove oil and dirt.

Tips are.. 1. using enough conditioner! Like, a lot more than you think. You want your entire head to feel slippery. If it feels "tight", you need to use more. Diluting it a little will help with spreadability. 3. massage well, for at least a minute, GENTLY. Just use your fingerpads and stimulate your scalp. Since it doesn't lather, you need to rely on mechanical techniques to clean your scalp. 4. RINSE WELL! I made the mistake of rinsing just a bit, like with a final conditioner, and regretted it. Was greasy and weighed down.

The CO washing thread is a great place to start, like linked above. Good luck :flower:

fiords
November 5th, 2020, 11:43 PM
I have a lot of mostly fine (some medium) hair, and a very oily scalp. I have to wash it every other day with *something* or it looks awful at the roots. I have tried to stretch washes to no avail, I just have oily skin + scalp. Makes sense, since my immediate family has the same problems with skin and scalp.

So, even with fine, oily hair, CO washing works wonderfully for me. I know everywhere says it's best for course, curly, dense hair types, but I find the conditioner you use has more to do with it than hair type. If I were to use a very heavy conditioner like some curlies use and swear by, I'd look like a mess.

But my favorite for my hair/scalp type is hands down Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner. It has quite a bit of surfactants, and the emollients are lightweight. I get a TON of volume, and can usually just use that without any conditioner on length afterwards. Sometimes I can't believe how clean and soft my hair is after using it.

But yes, most cone free conditioners will mildly cleanse your hair. The emulsifiers allow your sebum to be rinsed away with water, and the small amounts of surfactants will further help to remove oil and dirt.

Tips are.. 1. using enough conditioner! Like, a lot more than you think. You want your entire head to feel slippery. If it feels "tight", you need to use more. Diluting it a little will help with spreadability. 3. massage well, for at least a minute, GENTLY. Just use your fingerpads and stimulate your scalp. Since it doesn't lather, you need to rely on mechanical techniques to clean your scalp. 4. RINSE WELL! I made the mistake of rinsing just a bit, like with a final conditioner, and regretted it. Was greasy and weighed down.

The CO washing thread is a great place to start, like linked above. Good luck :flower:

Such great advice thank you!! I'm looking at getting the avocado co-wash by Lush. Excited to try this method!

cat11
November 6th, 2020, 08:31 AM
If you're interested in buying a cowash instead of using a conditioner I would highly recommend as I am coconut cowash. This stuff smells like heaven and works very well, it leaves my hair so clean and soft.

YMMV using cowash all the time. Personally I would recommend mixing it up, I rotate between cowash, a sulfate free moisturizing shampoo, and clarifying. I think its important to clarify about once a month or every month or so to keep a healthy scalp. BUT people are different and some cowash all the time without issues, only clarifying if they notice buildup on their hair.

Dark40
November 6th, 2020, 01:00 PM
For me, I just use any type of cheap drug store conditioner. I remember when I first started getting into co-washing myself back in 2008. My first co-washing product was WEN by Chaz Dean. I know a lot of people have complained about how bad the product was to the hair but I've been using the product since 2008, and I've never had any issues with it, and whenever I felt or saw build-up on my hair and scalp I would use a sulfate shampoo or a clarifying shampoo once a week. Or, the clarifying shampoo once a month but I co-wash 6 days out of the week, and use sulfate shampoo once a week. This is what works best for me.

Dark40
November 6th, 2020, 01:03 PM
If you're interested in buying a cowash instead of using a conditioner I would highly recommend as I am coconut cowash. This stuff smells like heaven and works very well, it leaves my hair so clean and soft.

YMMV using cowash all the time. Personally I would recommend mixing it up, I rotate between cowash, a sulfate free moisturizing shampoo, and clarifying. I think its important to clarify about once a month or every month or so to keep a healthy scalp. BUT people are different and some cowash all the time without issues, only clarifying if they notice buildup on their hair.

Hey cat11! I really love your new profile photo! It is beautiful with all of the different colors! :) :Hmm: I see that you are now currently at FTL, huh? Well, congratulations on your new milestone! :D As you may already know, I've started a "TBL thread by Christmas of 2021." I'm hoping to reach that length by the end of next year.

cat11
November 6th, 2020, 01:17 PM
Hey cat11! I really love your new profile photo! It is beautiful with all of the different colors! :) :Hmm: I see that you are now currently at FTL, huh? Well, congratulations on your new milestone! :D As you may already know, I've started a "TBL thread by Christmas of 2021." I'm hoping to reach that length by the end of next year.

Hi Dark :waving: Thank you. I made it on an app on my phone called chromalab I love this app I keep making trippy colorful pictures of my cats and hair. Yes I just made it to fingertip, thanks for the congrats. I hope you make it to your goal of TBL by Christmas!! :cheer:

Dark40
November 6th, 2020, 01:28 PM
Hi Dark :waving: Thank you. I made it on an app on my phone called chromalab I love this app I keep making trippy colorful pictures of my cats and hair. Yes I just made it to fingertip, thanks for the congrats. I hope you make it to your goal of TBL by Christmas!! :cheer:

Hi! :waving: You're welcome. Ohhh, ok cool. I've never heard of such an app for a phone caled chromalab. I bet you do love that app and you keep making trippy colorful pictures of your cats and hair. You're welcome for the congrats on making it to fingertip. Yes, I hope I make it to my goal of TBL by Christmas too!! :cheer:

My long-term goal is mid-thigh length. Or, to just let it grow and see how long it can/will grow. :shrug: