PDA

View Full Version : should I get a trim? part 2 (with pics)

theAnimeway
June 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I AM A GUY FYI

Mom says my ends are getting "scuzzy" and I asked how much would need to be taken off she said "2 inches"

here are some updated pics

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/flyingDagger999/animated%20gifs/002.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/flyingDagger999/animated%20gifs/003.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/flyingDagger999/animated%20gifs/004.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/flyingDagger999/animated%20gifs/005.jpg

Ponytail update

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/flyingDagger999/animated%20gifs/006.jpg

what do you think?

and as you can tell my hair its getting more wavey

jojo
June 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I think it looks really healthy, love the waves and the shine is blinding! keep growing!

Mi-chan
June 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I don't think you need a trim!
And even IF you do, i wouldn't take off 2 inches. an inch at the very most. not more.
Bit it really isn't necessary, it looks thick and healthy!! =)

SHELIAANN1969
June 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Scuzzy is a bit on the ole "harsh" side as a way of describing your hair.

I don't think it's nasty, gross or scuzzy in any way.

If you're permitted to make your own decisions about your hair, I think you should do what feels best/ natural for yourself.

(I am not saying to do against your mothers wishes or to make a debate about it) I am just saying that to ME, it looks fine, actually, it looks pretty darn good! :)

theAnimeway
June 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Scuzzy is a bit on the ole "harsh" side as a way of describing your hair. Mom doesn't hate my hair but at the same time she doesn't like it

shellblue1
June 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I would trim a little bit off only if you want the ends to be more even/blunt all the way across. Even then, I would only trim a half inch or an inch. Certainly not more than that though.

burns_erin
June 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Does not look like it needs a trim to me, maybe if you start braiding the pony tail (and oiling the ends if you are not already) the ends wont bother your mom as much.

theAnimeway
June 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Does not look like it needs a trim to me, maybe if you start braiding the pony tail (and oiling the ends if you are not already) the ends wont bother your mom as much.I don't know how to braid from the back of my head

MissHair
June 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I didnt even read the part ''Im a GUY'', I was wondering why you would take a picture of yourself and not even wear a bra. HAHA IM SORRY. :D Shame on me.

I think your hair looks fantastic, although I have to say they look slightly dry. I would do dusting (mini-trimming) if I was you, dont cut inches.

Mi-chan
June 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
You can learn how to braid your hair quite easil. Just devide your hair into 3 parts and TRY. try it as long as it takes you to learn it ;) it's much easier than it seems.

burns_erin
June 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM
In the time it might take you to learn to braid, you can try my lazy standby if it is long enough. I take it and twist it like I am going to put it into a bun, then I bring the end up to where I typically secure my ponytailer. This way the ends are up and out of the way but it is not a twisted tight bun.

theAnimeway
June 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM
In the time it might take you to learn to braid, you can try my lazy standby if it is long enough. I take it and twist it like I am going to put it into a bun, then I bring the end up to where I typically secure my ponytailer. This way the ends are up and out of the way but it is not a twisted tight bun. thats how I do used to do that I think. but I quit doing that. becuase it was starting to hurt my head

eadwine
June 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I will say the same thing as I said in the other topic: does your mom have straight hair?

She is used to your hair being shorter and straighter most likely. Now that some waves are showing it looks scuzzy to her.

I am sticking with that one ;)

burns_erin
June 12th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Well, you sir are a hard case that's for sure. I for one agree with eadwine. But, to keep it out of your mom's way, maybe try what my dad does, several ponytailers down the length, and then the end tuck up and under the last loop of that last ponytailer.

psvzum
June 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
If your mom is really pressuring you to trim to the point of grounding you (or worse! ) : ) , I'd get a little, tiny trim but definately not 2 inches. You've got beautiful hair!!!

feralnature
June 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I would reach a compromise to keep any resentment of longhair from developing. Your hair is beautiful and looks very nice, but if you trimmed an inch or less, perhaps that would make mom happy. Advice from this old woman: "Pick your battles".

spidermom
June 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Scuzzy is a pretty harsh word. They don't look damaged. Your ends are merely uneven to my eye. If that were my hair, I would probably have one inch taken off the longest strands to bring them more in line with shorter strands. I like a thicker, more even hem. But that's just me. Do what you like.

(2 inches would be too much at this stage, even for me, and I don't mind hair cuts)

Alethia
June 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Your hair looks fine from the back so I guess your ends are OK. The "scuzzy" appearance from the front may be to do with the curly nape hairs showing through which can look a bit like damaged hair simply because they're a different texture to the rest. I'd just have a light trim and maybe oil the ends a bit as has been suggested.

Garnett
June 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I agree with everyone here. I am a hairdresser and I would not take more than a half inch to an inch off, only to help even it up a bit. It looks shiny and healthy and great! Lovely waves, dude.

theAnimeway
June 12th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I will say the same thing as I said in the other topic: does your mom have straight hair? yes she does

kwaniesiam
June 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
If you have the patience, you could always do a Search and Destroy, just go through your ends and barely snip off the splits you come across. A trim doesn't seem needed, especially not one that big. Maybe 1/2" at most.

theAnimeway
June 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think I might just leave it alone.

besides I don't trust my Mom anymore its all thanks to her I am growing out my hair.

and I already have a female friend that likes to style my hair and everything:)

BTW kwaniesiam what band is that in your avatar?

theAnimeway
June 12th, 2008, 06:37 PM
besides I am almost close for my hair to touch my armpits.

maybe in 6 months I will be at APL

Pegasus Marsters
June 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't know how to braid from the back of my head

Then this is a great time to learn!

Tons of guys say they don't know how to braid and won't try to learn... girls arn't born with the natural ability to do braids, we have to learn too :face:

EvaSimone
June 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I agree with others your hair looks healthy... maybe just 1/2" or 1" off certainly not two!!

Scuzzy is such a mom word lol my mom uses it too!

theAnimeway
June 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Then this is a great time to learn!

Tons of guys say they don't know how to braid and won't try to learn... girls arn't born with the natural ability to do braids, we have to learn too :face: I am trying I need to find a vid or something.

the reason why I am growing my hair is to have a nice long braid anyway (midback or waist) not sure yet

rhodochrosite
June 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Have you searched the ends of your hair for splits? If you have a good amount of damage at the bottom of your hair, you might want to trim half an inch to an inch to get rid of any damage. Otherwise, I like the oiling the ends suggestion and see no reason for a trim (unless you would want to).

tameriska
June 13th, 2008, 04:51 AM
If you need to trim anything, I personaly think that a quarter to half inch trim at the most would be sufficient if you also feel that you need one.
About braiding your own hair, Dreamweaver Braiding (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm) has this tutorial (I personally find the righthand set of instructions easier in explaining it)

Pegasus Marsters
June 13th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I am trying I need to find a vid or something.

the reason why I am growing my hair is to have a nice long braid anyway (midback or waist) not sure yet

French braids are complex. Start by learning an english braid. It's FAR more simple than people want you to know.

Seperate your hair into 3 strands. Move the left strand over the middle strand. Now the right strand over the new middle strand. Repeat... look, you has a braid! :)

lora410
June 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Your hair looks fine, and with us wavies our ends are always all over the place :)

Katze
June 13th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I think your hair looks good - nice and thick. In that first pic, the underneath part looks like my hair gets - really wiry and curly at the nape. Misting and oiling help.

If your mom's a straighthair, she might not understand that your hair is wavy, and getting wavier. Also, I think parents are even harsher on sons with long hair. My BF's almost 37 and his parents BOTH still hassle him about his hair being "messy". This is him with his hair brushed and dressed up much nicer than normal - hair still messy!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/2309635087_2f57591110_b.jpg

I agree that you might want to humor her by just trimming a little.

Oh, and braids are easy. I let my BF practice on my hair, so he can do it, but he's lazy and prefers me to braid for him. Lately he's been doing that loop-bun thing to keep the ends tucked up.

bex487
June 13th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I think your ends look fine! You could get a micro-trim to keep everything even, but really the most important thing is to learn how to care for your hair so it grows healthy and strong.

eadwine
June 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM
yes she does

Point made then. She simply isn't used to wavy growing long. As soon as it sticks out from your neck she will say it isn't neat :lol:

theAnimeway
June 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Point made then. She simply isn't used to wavy growing long. As soon as it sticks out from your neck she will say it isn't neat :lol: my Sister who is a year younger then me has long waves

purplebubba
June 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
my Sister who is a year younger then me has long waves

Did your sister have short hair that your mother saw growing out in the awkward stages?
Did your mother ever make comments to her?

theAnimeway
June 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
not really except she need a trim..

thats all

eadwine
June 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
A two inch trim is basically "cut it all off".

Maybe just her way of bringing across she doesn't like longer hair on men maybe.

Whatever reason it is.. follow your own wish in this.

Isilme
June 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I would say take off half an inch, and inch if you have to. Just to keep the peace and to be able to say that you have had it trimmed. And you would have a more blunt hemline too (if you like those) Buy some hair scissors (hair scissors! Not just plain scissors not used for anything but hair. Real hair scissors) and do a self trim. Then learn to braid. If you are a guy and want to keep your hair neat and don't have someone who can braid your hair everyday you have to learn it. Since updos aren't as socially accepted as braids are, braids are almost something you must know. Sad but true. Yeah, I'm aways nagging on my bf to learn how to braid, but I got myself to blame since I don't mind fiddling with his hair;)

theAnimeway
June 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Maybe just her way of bringing across she doesn't like longer hair on men maybe. my Father had long hair for 3 years he had to cut it for a job and keeps it short now.

my Mom loved it she braided it for him all the time.

it maybe becuase i was a long hair hater when I was younger and mom isn't used to the idea of me having long hair or wanting since i am older now

theAnimeway
June 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
learn to braid. If you are a guy and want to keep your hair neat and don't have someone who can braid your hair everyday I am trying and trying

betsala
June 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
what helped me when i was learning to do a simple braid was to practice on a doll (i'm a girl!) or on a long haired friend. once i had that down it was easier to work on my own head.

Deborah
June 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
If your mother is not opposed to long hair on men, she probably honestly thinks you need two inches cut. This would even up your ends and get rid of any dry or damaged hair, and it would do you no harm. As you are 16, I think you should follow your mum's guidance. The hair will grow back quickly (especially at your age,) the ends will be even and healthy, and you will have obeyed your mum. All in all I think that would be a good idea.

Now don't shoot me. I mean well. :couch:

LuXious
August 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
No. Leave it alone. If you neaten up the hem, I think it will look more feminine. Guys' long hair needs to be a bit shaggy in my opinion. You need the ruggedness.

Soniasonia
August 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Your hair doesn't look like it needs a trim. But you should oil the ends. Jojoba oil would work great for you. Actually if you apply it at night all over your hair and wash it out in the morning it will be really soft and smooth. But do this everyday. It will become second nature for you.

danacc
August 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I learned to braid with 3 "strands" of rope tied to a tree branch. It is easier to learn on something you can see. Once you can braid without watching what your fingers are doing, try to translate it to the back of your head.

LadyLongLocks
August 25th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I think it looks great. Nice waves. I even like the slight layers at the bottom. Maybe a little dusting at the longest part IMO, but no more. :)

arylkin
August 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I think it looks nice! You could maybe self trim a tiny bit off the ends, and I'd recommend working a few drops of coconut oil into your ends before bed to add a bit of moisture back in to them.

My husband has long hair, and people were always going on about how he should cut it (especially right before our wedding), so I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say. :)

pdy2kn6
August 25th, 2008, 04:55 PM
hey, naaa dont trim it yet, it luks very shiny n v helthy, dnt worry about dat, most mums hate their childs hair at some point, my mum used 2 hate my hair as it was growing, she would also say when are you cutting your hair, but now everynow and again she sees it down (cos i usually wear it up), she says wow your hair looks really nice. keep at it. wats ur goal?

Speedbump
August 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I don't think you need a trim at all. Sure you are obviously growing out a short cut, but you have gotten past the worst of the awkward phase on that. If your mom insists, I'd go with 1/2 an inch and see what she thinks. Don't TELL her how much you cut unless she demands to know. Just ask her if it looks better. She will probably say yes and leave you alone for a while. :lol:

Bene
August 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM
If your mom insists, I'd go with 1/2 an inch and see what she thinks. Don't TELL her how much you cut unless she demands to know. Just ask her if it looks better. She will probably say yes and leave you alone for a while. :lol:

sound advice....

also, i'm sure you know some girls, have someone teach you how to braid :)

wintersun99
August 25th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Ya'll do realize this thread is over 2 months old, no? I'm betting a decision has been made by now :)