PDA

View Full Version : proof that grey hair can be beautiful

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM
ive got a silver streak sneaking in on my fringe, and i actually like it!

I have just found these pictures of Meryl Steep and i personally think she just gets better with age. Id love her shade of grey.

(Photos have been removed because of possible copyright violations. Please place links instead. ~ harpgal)

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM
That first lady pictured above is Diane Keaton. They both look fabulous for people around my age.

Dulci
March 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The first picture is of Diane Keaton. Both Keaton and Streep are lovely.

Here's my favorite silver picture, this is singer Emmylou Harris.

(Photo has been removed because of possible copyright violations. Please place link instead. ~ harpgal)

Anlbe
March 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
My grandfather has the most beautiful white silver hair. I'm told I get my hair type from him and I'm just praying I'll start going white like he did in his forties. I think grey hair can be lo lovely.

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
pasted wrong picture duh! meant this one!! http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/ms01.jpg
and i agree emmylou Harris, is stunning with grey hair, just proves grey is not aging as a lot of people think.

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm kind of disturbed by the picture of EmmyLou Harris. Her skin is smoother than a baby's butt. Enough with the air-brushing already, somebody! I want to see character lines in sombody her age.

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
she looks like she has had some botox, judging by her brows they are very arched and high for an older woman, probably are airbrushed too, looks good though

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Can we get somebody over here to air-brush me?

Patrycja
March 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Amen Spidermom!! I have recently found a bunch of greys and I'm actually ok with it.Yeah,I'm young but every woman in my family started getting grey real early.I'm not going to cover it up with dye either ;)

maybe henna...:)

mellie
March 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for posting these, they are beautiful women and it is so nice to see women showing off their gorgeous silver/white hair. I'd love to do that myself, but....if only hair would instantly go white! The gray temples and wiry stray grays are just so frustrating:no:.....

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Can we get somebody over here to air-brush me?
join an orderly Que please.. !!

KateMcC
March 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I've been an Emmylou Harris fan for years, and watched her New Year's eve concert from Nashville last year. I don't believe she has had work or airbrushing done. She is simply gorgeous. I've always been jealous of her skin and her amazing hair which she let go naturally gray in front of her fans.

I think she is blessed, and uses good products. I wish she would post here so I could find out what they are.

wintersun99
March 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM

HerbalAnnie
March 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Don't forget model Cindy Joseph. She recently did some Olay ads. I love her hair!

(Photo has been removed because of possible copyright violations. Please place link instead. ~ harpgal)

DragonMommie
March 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Has anyone mentioned Jamie Lee Curtis?

GlassEyes
March 18th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I wil freely admit to wanting silver hair always.

It'd be better than going bald and it'd be pretty. Plus I can dye over it with unnatural colors, which, if I go even the slightest gray, will happen and be awesome. XD

jojo
March 18th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Don't forget model Cindy Joseph. She recently did some Olay ads. I love her hair!

(photo removed)
im from the UK so have never seen this lady before, she is beautiful i would love my hair to go this colour, id even dye it this colour if i could wow, thanks for sharing xx

jojo
March 18th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I wil freely admit to wanting silver hair always.

It'd be better than going bald and it'd be pretty. Plus I can dye over it with unnatural colors, which, if I go even the slightest gray, will happen and be awesome. XD

i totally agree grey rocks!

tiny_teesha
March 18th, 2008, 04:53 AM
My mum could totally do that!!! (she is like at least 50% grey)
She is actually interested in going grey. She looks 10 years younger (mostly coz of hair colouring and her oily skin-which i inhereted! Also eating organic until 30 years old [she lived on a self sufficient farm] )
I hope that one day preferrably when i am 55 all my hairs at once decide to simultaneously go white!....whether or not that actually happens is something else! haha
I agree, they all look beautiful. There was this grey haired lady in a marie clare magazine once, she had matching eyeshadow- it looked stunning.

Advaya
March 18th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I am only 22, but I have noticeable gray strands, I believe it might be possible that most of my new growth is gray. My mom was gray by 30, but dyed her hair until 50.

I LOVE my gray. I honestly adore long gray hair. I am sure sometimes I will miss my black hair, just the same. I won't dye it though.

mellie
March 18th, 2008, 07:35 AM
These photos are so inspiring! If only I had enough gray to let it go natural!

lora410
March 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Yeah, i've gotten some white hairs before (pre-LHC days) and I always plucked them. I kind of regret it now since its a natural part of me and my mom started going gray in her 20's. I will not be doing that anymore.

girlcat36
March 18th, 2008, 08:08 AM
http://www.eileenfisher.com/images/ad7.jpg
Check out this woman's hair! Her growing-out black ends obviously haven't hurt her modelling career!

wintersun99
March 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Elenna
March 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Check out this woman's hair! Her growing-out black ends obviously haven't hurt her modelling career!

I've seen this model in catalogs before. Isn't it something that long silver/gray hair can sell fashion! That's how I want to look;-)

Elenna

artgeek
March 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I once heard a famed stylist say that it was impossible to acheive "natural gray hair" in the salon, it's un-duplicable - is that a word? :)

I'm not sure if that's true! I know someone in Seattle who has her hair dyed grey, and it looks very natural.

Wanderer09
March 18th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I love grey hair, it looks so dignified. Unfortunately no one in my family has gone grey completely , so I don't think it's something I can look forward to...oh well...

puredoxyk
March 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Okay, this makes me feel much better about the Rogue-thick grey streak I got as a 30th birthday present last month...!

I should post my mom's pic -- she stopped dying her hair and it looks *awesome*; I would take that color in a heartbeat.

ole gray mare
March 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I will have to show that photo to my agent, who seems to want me to cut my hair. No way.

Elenna
March 18th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure if that's true! I know someone in Seattle who has her hair dyed grey, and it looks very natural.

Really, can you find out what mfg makes gray dye?

Elenna

Laululintu
March 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Okay, this makes me feel much better about the Rogue-thick grey streak I got as a 30th birthday present last month...!

I should post my mom's pic -- she stopped dying her hair and it looks *awesome*; I would take that color in a heartbeat.

I really want a natural Rogue-stripe :D Also, my mum is over 50% gray and she looks amazing! She's growing her hair out as well. Go mum :cheer: :rockerdud Her mother had the most amazing white hair for several decades before she passed away.

2BThinAgain
March 21st, 2008, 11:28 AM
If you go to my profile and look at my album, you'll see what I look like with short grey hair. That pic was taken June 06.
I'd post it here yet Im not sure how to do so

Deb in UpState NY

Xandergrammy
March 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM

(photo removed)

I love this picture of her!

AutumnLeaves
March 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Man...too bad I'm getting the gray without those beautiful faces underneath it! LOL Ah well...character. Yes...that is what I have...character. Oh wait. Or is it that I am a character? A caricature? Sigh...

I was going to mention Ole Gray Mare is a beautiful gray haired model herself but she has chimed in here. And SpiderMom, you are also quite lovely yourself! And there is Caldonia Sun, PeggyE, SilverLocks, WhateverGirl, TammySue, Xandergrammy and a host of others just as lovely as these women.

Though I have to admit that EmmyLou Harris is simply stunning!

TammySue
March 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Sherry! Thank you for the compliment!

You are one of those lovely ladies too! :flowers:

DavidN
March 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Gray IS beautiful, and I am delighted to see so many of my fellow members celebrating their natural silvers. My grays for now are limited to a few "racing stripes" in my ponytail, but I am sure, as the clock of life marches on, that there will be many more.

biggeorge
March 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM
I really want a natural Rogue-stripe

For some of us all we have are the racing stripes on the sides; mine is readily apparent in a tail. My dad at 70 still had more dark hair than gray.

I call it the "distinguished" look. Sounds better than "hodgepodge"!

Xandergrammy
March 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Sherry! Thank you for the compliment!

You are one of those lovely ladies too! :flowers:

TammySue, I was going to say exactly the same thing.

Sherry, you need to admit that you're gorgeous. Go ahead. I can't HEAR you!!!!!

MadPirateBippy
March 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
ooooh, that's so lovely.

The sexiest woman I know in real life has incredible sparkling silver stripes in black wavy/wurly hair. It's stunning.

I now have seven or eight long silvers. I'm just going to have to stop plucking them and let them do their thing.

Xandergrammy
March 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM

Whoa!!! She and her hair are gorgeous!!!!

bruteforcegrl
March 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM
I love my grey hair which is mostly in the front and mostly on one side. And I love puppies.
BFG

Patrycja
March 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM
I am embracing my greys and tend to continue on that.When I posted my first reply to this thread,I was thinking about using henna but now I decided not to.I want to grow out my natural color and be fine with my greys and my browns.

Xandergrammy
March 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
I love my grey hair which is mostly in the front and mostly on one side. And I love puppies.
BFG

Your grays sound just like mine- all around my face and mostly on the right side of my head.
And I love puppies too.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/01-12-08004.jpg

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
my greys are on my right hand side too, but they are all underneath.

Heres a question for you about greys, how come they grow through a different texture, mine are like cork screws so when my hair is all silver will i have wavier hair ?

and how come the grey hairs which are long are no longer wirey but soft like the rest of my hair? like do they change texture as they grow?

sorry about all the questions!

and how did you get the smallest dog in the picture to smile? they are adorable!

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
I am embracing my greys and tend to continue on that.When I posted my first reply to this thread,I was thinking about using henna but now I decided not to.I want to grow out my natural color and be fine with my greys and my browns.

good for you, this is my plan, i used to dye my hair but now its all natural and just over 2 years since i dyed it, i love the greys and cannot wait to be a silver fox.

Xandergrammy
March 21st, 2008, 08:10 PM
my greys are on my right hand side too, but they are all underneath.

Heres a question for you about greys, how come they grow through a different texture, mine are like cork screws so when my hair is all silver will i have wavier hair ?

and how come the grey hairs which are long are no longer wirey but soft like the rest of my hair? like do they change texture as they grow?

sorry about all the questions!

and how did you get the smallest dog in the picture to smile? they are adorable!

jojo, if I have my hair loose and parted down the middle, you can hardly see any grays, but as soon as I pull my hair back, my face is framed in white. And I prefer to wear my hair off my face.
I don't know why the textures vary so much. I have some that come in wiry and stick straight up and I have others that are as soft as can be. It's a mystery, I'm afraid.

Isn't that funny that Topo looks like she's smiling? She's a silly little dog. The bigger dog is older and more emotionally stable. I'm glad you like them.

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
jojo, if I have my hair loose and parted down the middle, you can hardly see any grays, but as soon as I pull my hair back, my face is framed in white. And I prefer to wear my hair off my face.
I don't know why the textures vary so much. I have some that come in wiry and stick straight up and I have others that are as soft as can be. It's a mystery, I'm afraid.

Isn't that funny that Topo looks like she's smiling? She's a silly little dog. The bigger dog is older and more emotionally stable. I'm glad you like them.

your hair sounds just like mine :happydance:i cant wait to get more, my mums only just going grey at 65, i actually have more grey than her! but my dad was totally grey in his mid 40's so another 7 years or so!

That photo is sweet, ive tried to make maisie smile but she looks at me daft, they look really humanised with their expressions!!

hope you dont mind, but ive got your doggies as my desktop picture! that picture makes me smile!

paper
March 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
This thread is very inspiring. Not only to see older women with long hair, grey as well. And, they look beautiful! I have been pointing out older women with long grey hair to my husband and asked him what he thinks. He loves it and says they look very pretty. I said good, that might be me some day lol. He said he hopes so. :) The problem with my hair now, is it's very dark and I don't like the salt and pepper look. I would rather be all grey.

Xandergrammy
March 22nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
This thread is very inspiring. Not only to see older women with long hair, grey as well. And, they look beautiful! I have been pointing out older women with long grey hair to my husband and asked him what he thinks. He loves it and says they look very pretty. I said good, that might be me some day lol. He said he hopes so. :) The problem with my hair now, is it's very dark and I don't like the salt and pepper look. I would rather be all grey.

I think the salt and pepper look is so beautiful. My aunt's hair was like that for many years and I always wanted her hair. I'll bet it'll look great.

Xandergrammy
March 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
your hair sounds just like mine :happydance:i cant wait to get more, my mums only just going grey at 65, i actually have more grey than her! but my dad was totally grey in his mid 40's so another 7 years or so!

That photo is sweet, ive tried to make maisie smile but she looks at me daft, they look really humanised with their expressions!!

hope you dont mind, but ive got your doggies as my desktop picture! that picture makes me smile!

My mother and grandmother both started graying in their late teens, early 20's, but I didn't really start to see grays until I hit 40.

I'm delighted that you're using the picture of our girls as your desktop picture!!! They are great little dogs and I agree that they look humanised in that photo. The bigger dog is thinking "Oh no, Mom's got the camera pointed at us again!" :gabigrin:

paper
March 22nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
I started coloring my hair in Nov. 07. It would be nice to be natural. We will see.

Xandergrammy
March 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
I will have to show that photo to my agent, who seems to want me to cut my hair. No way.

Definitely show that photo to your agent, OGM.

Xandergrammy
March 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
I started coloring my hair in Nov. 07. It would be nice to be natural. We will see.

paper, what is your natural color?

ETA: nevermind, paper. I just read your post about your hair being very dark and would be salt and pepper. I love salt and pepper hair.

C_Bookworm
May 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
my mother in law has bsl curly gray hair. its beautiful. But she says she only gets guys who are old that tell her that

Saranne772
May 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Ahh I love silver hair :D Its a good think too because my mother went grey at 35 and is now 54 and WHITE.

I would like to wait a bit before going silver but I love the silver if I dont

AshleyP
May 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I love long grey hair. I've never seen long grey hair that looked bad. Theres a woman that works at the WinnDixie down the road - classic length grey hair and straight and smooth as anything. That's how I want to look when I get older. :)

Haith
May 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
My mom dyes her grey hairs, but I'm going to leave mine natural when they come. I think that silver hair is very beautiful!

flapjack
May 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Adding another babe to this thread.

She is stunning. I think Cate Blanchett is another woman who I think is going to look great with gray hair, I've noticed in photos that she has a few of them and she seems to be leaving them be. That is rad. I've always thought gray hair was pretty, I remember actually wanting gray hair when I was a little kid. Screw culture's view on this, honestly. They're nuts.

Oberon88
May 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM
My grandma went white white white at 22, but sadly, she has dyed it ever since. I have seen one photo of her with her white hair, and I think it looked really amazing.

silverwoods
May 30th, 2008, 03:15 AM
What about actresses Julie Christie (Billy Liar, Away From Her), Claire Bloom (A Doll's House), and Charlotte Rampling (Stardust Memories, Wings of the Dove)?

Helen Mirren looks wonderful with gray hair!

As for males (alas, none with long hair) what about George Clooney and Anderson Cooper?

jojo
May 31st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Philip Schofield *drool* need I say more?

Speedbump
May 31st, 2008, 09:29 AM
I'm kind of disturbed by the picture of EmmyLou Harris. Her skin is smoother than a baby's butt. Enough with the air-brushing already, somebody! I want to see character lines in sombody her age.
Here ya go, Spidermom. (http://www.roguefolk.bc.ca/gallery/montreal05/images/P2240089_jpg.jpg) Now that's more like it!

MemSahib
May 31st, 2008, 09:49 AM
I love seeing these pictures of lovely grey-haired women. Now if only my face and body looked as great as theirs...
:rolleyes:

Toadstool
May 31st, 2008, 10:03 AM
I need to change my sig cos my goals are different now. I'd been dyeing my hair for twenty years, had my first grey hair ten years ago. The damage has always prevented my growing it long, last December I had most cut off to a bob due to damage.For three months now I haven't dyed it. It is short with an inch and a half of grey and brown on top and the rest is dyed red. It doesn't looik so great but am persevering cos I too would love long grey hair.All my family think I am mad when I say I want a long grey plait!

Dulci
May 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Here ya go, Spidermom. (http://www.roguefolk.bc.ca/gallery/montreal05/images/P2240089_jpg.jpg) Now that's more like it!

She looks great in that photo too, she's got great cheekbones.

MemSahib
May 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM
It doesn't looik so great but am persevering cos I too would love long grey hair.All my family think I am mad when I say I want a long grey plait!Ah, Toadstool, you are a free spirit, not mad! Or let's put it this way, if you are mad then so am I. We must stick together.

Toadstool
June 1st, 2008, 03:11 AM
Memsahib - i might find it easier to be a free spirit if I had hair as long and glorious as yours! But am happy to stick together :-)

Katze
June 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM
I once heard a famed stylist say that it was impossible to acheive "natural gray hair" in the salon, it's un-duplicable - is that a word? :) The only way to acheive it, is to let it come....

I tried SO hard to bleach my hair then dye it silver...the problem is that the grey, silver, lavender dyes wash out very quickly. I tried everything from full head white to silver streaks...all of which ended up in yellow-blonde sooner or later.

However, I have some lovely streaks coming in on their own, and they are not white or grey, but SILVER. Shiny and bright. Can't wait until I have more - it gives me "natural" highlights and goes with my eye color very well.

Every time I see a grey, silver, white haired woman I have to smile.

MemSahib
June 1st, 2008, 07:35 AM
Memsahib - i might find it easier to be a free spirit if I had hair as long and glorious as yours! But am happy to stick together :-)Stick together we will! And thank you! :flower:

Katze, congratulations on your genuine, Katze-grown, silver streaks. Enjoy them!

sahiba
June 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Actually ,for me the proof that gray hair is beautiful is Peggy E. After seeing her hair in April hair toy challange I'm looking forward to my hair becoming gray.

LadyMoon11
June 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
MemSahib: Your hair is wonderful.

I think gray hair is gorgeous. I was so happy when my mother decided to stop coloring her dark brown hair and let it go/show gray. It is beautiful. I look forward to embracing my grays someday.

Ruadh
June 1st, 2008, 03:36 PM

I've seen her in some recent performances and even with lines she has incredible skin. That photo prompted me to dig out my "Luxury Liner" album I always liked the photos on the front & back but like you said the air-brush can cover up a lot. At any rate her hair is gorgeous.

daydreamer
June 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
Beautiful silvers! I intend to let mine alone when they come in too :)
I saw this woman the other day at the post office with waist length silvery white hair and it was SO beautiful. I can only hope mine will look as good when I am older.

MemSahib
June 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Thank you, LadyMoon.

TheBlondeApple
June 2nd, 2008, 05:54 AM
Got living proof right here - or in my profile while he's at work :D
Anja

AutumnLeaves
June 2nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0351.jpg

Yeesh. I'm largely gray on top of my head, but the back isn't even close to the same amount of gray. I'm kind of wishing it was all silver now. It seems to have lost some shine with the turning to gray...or the stopping of hair dye. Not sure which. But I'm so happy to be out of the dying my hair rut. Never again!

Marysmirth
June 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
I just love the freedom of not worrying about my roots!

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0351.jpg

Yeesh. I'm largely gray on top of my head, but the back isn't even close to the same amount of gray. I'm kind of wishing it was all silver now. It seems to have lost some shine with the turning to gray...or the stopping of hair dye. Not sure which. But I'm so happy to be out of the dying my hair rut. Never again!

Sherry, I told you in your blog, but I'll tell you here too- your hair looks so beautiful. Your graying pattern is very similar to mine and I find myself wishing that I was all silver/white/gray too!

MemSahib
June 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Sherry, it's beautiful. And similar to mine, too. I started with a few greys on the top. Now if I part in the center it's mainly silver but is still quite brown underneath. Can you see the mix in my relatively recent Chinese bun?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/ChineseBun.jpg

Amoretti
June 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
I have a nice batch of silvers around my hairline. I love them!

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Sherry, it's beautiful. And similar to mine, too. I started with a few greys on the top. Now if I part in the center it's mainly silver but is still quite brown underneath. Can you see the mix in my relatively recent Chinese bun?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/ChineseBun.jpg

Oooooooh, very pretty! I can't wait til I have more silvers!!!

shrare
June 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
I like gray hair, too.

shrare
June 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Also meant to say that my grandmother has beautiful white hair. I'm hoping the same. Is there anything you can do to hair to make sure the gray stays beautiful?

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM

Oh thank you; much better! The other one was kind of alien looking (for the age, that is).

Dulci
June 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
LOL spidermom, now that I know the Emmylou portrait freaks you out, I'll quit posting it in every 'Silver Hair Can Be Beautiful' thread that comes along. :flower:

Oh thank you; much better! The other one was kind of alien looking (for the age, that is).

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Oh please don't do that, Dulci. Freaking me out is good for my heart.

Silver rainbow
June 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
As my hair has grown, I am loving being silver. I wasn't so sure in my 30s.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/silverrainbow/hair%20gallery/Library-235.jpg

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
SB, that is just lovely!

Xandergrammy
June 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/silverrainbow/hair%20gallery/Library-235.jpg

Wow!!! What's not to love!?!?!? Beautiful!

burns_erin
June 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah there is a lot of beautiful silver hair out there. Mine unfortunately just looks dirty when I let the grey grow out.

MemSahib
June 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Breathes... it's beautiful, Silver rainbow. Would that mine looked as lovely as yours!

LadyMoon11
June 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM

Breathtaking! :thud::inlove:

Toadstool
June 3rd, 2008, 02:09 AM
Wow Silver Rainbow - your hair is truly beautiful!

morgwn
June 3rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
I would definitely agree; your hair looks gorgeous, Silver Rainbow!

I showed grey hair back when I was about 8 or 9 in a patch that's mostly buried in the centre of my head but it shows sometimes when pulled back into a braid. Hairdressers used to ask me if I knew I was already turning grey back when I was a teenager. I didn't really care back then and now am just liking the fact that I've got a nice streak! :) Although no further grey/silver hairs have showed up yet, so it may just be that early-comer patch for a while yet.

Silver rainbow
June 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your kind comments. I'm quite pleased with the condition of my hair now. I've been following various tips since joining LHC and the condition of my hair has improved quite a bit and so the colour looks better. Mind you, the flash on the camera probably is flattering too as it makes the silvery hairs reflect and I'm not sure they do normally.

Loviatar
June 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
I think LHC showed me silver/grey can be beautiful a long time ago. Silverlady, Silver Rainbow, Ole Gray Mare, Spidermom and Siamese among many others. More recently I have noticed gorgeous silvers on TammySue, Xandergrammy and DavidN. We have a real 'silver rainbow' going on here!

I think I will stop dyeing when I start getting greys. I love silver hair. My mom's is all silver but she colours it, and she has said maybe in the next 10 years she will let it grow out. :cloud9:

And on screen, I upset all the girls eyeing up Daniel Craig as James Bond by totally crushing on the Japanese guy with the tailbone length grey ponytail in the casino scene! :D

jojo
June 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM

WOW! your hair is beautiful!

az_sweetie01
June 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
I love these threads more than any other. I think that the long, silver and white hair ladies are phenomenaly beautiful...the look is so otherworldly...and dare I say faery-ish? All of you silvery men and women- you have remarkably beautiful locks. At 23, I started to notice the first white hairs in one spot a few inches up my hair line from my left temple...right, of course, where I like to part my hair :) I've been dying but, every time I see threads like this, I begin wish I had never dyed so that the streak would be more visible! In fact, I was discussing it with a few co-workers today and they all thought it was "the coolest thing ever" and encouraged me to grow, grow, grow. Thanks for all the beautiful photos, they are incredible!

skay
July 1st, 2008, 08:47 PM
Here's a photo from of a relatively young woman with silver hair.

I think she carries it well. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53674854@N00/144943704/in/set-72057594135729438/

(removed photo)

Katze
July 2nd, 2008, 06:00 AM

I knew someone in Seattle who *powdered* her bleached-then-toner-colored hair so that it looked greyish white. That was a long time ago though.

From what I always understood, true grey or silver is still not possible with chemical dye. I tried, believe me, for years, with varying results: lavender, yellow, etc. but never got the color I wanted. Now it's coming in naturally, yay! I want to look like that woman with the black ends, she's got a similar hairtype to mine.

mellie
July 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Skay, thanks for posting! Her hair is lovely!

LaurelSpring
July 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
I absolutely love my boyfriends white hair. It is very distinctive and everyone remembers him because of it. Its is like his signature mark. Here is a picture link to his band.

http://thewhiteoakband.com/

LaurelSpring
July 2nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
WOW after reading through the whole thread I am so encouraged now to let go of the henna. I dyed and then hennaed to highlight the grays and now Im backing down my mix to more cassia but after seeing all of the beautiful pictures I think Im ready to embace the gray!

Thanks everyone for all of the encouraging pictures and posts. I have subscribed to this thread because when the new growth shows up Im going to need to look at it again for encouragement.

girlcat36
July 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
All this silver hair is gorgeous! Okay, I'm letting mine go natural after my wedding(2010); until then, I will continue semi-permanent dye.

Eireann
July 2nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Whoa!!! She and her hair are gorgeous!!!!

and Steve Martin. I always thought he was handsome

mellie
July 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM
This girl is very cute - although I think the gray is not natural:

Barca
July 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
my grandmother had a gray streak since she was 20. after a hair disaster when she tried to dye it black but it turned green, she just let it be natural. i'm now getting a few gray strands in the front where she had hers and i LOVE it. I think it looks sooo awesome! i'm thinking about getting a toner to make it shiny silver when/if it ever comes all the way in like hers.

Bucatini
July 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm glad this thread is still going strong- at the MAC makeup counter last weekend I saw waist-length naturally silver/white hair- or so I thought. When I got close enough, the woman turned around and she was in her early 20's!

I asked how she did it-- mouth engaged before brain, with my luck it was something medical!! But luckily not, she said she's was nearly white-blonde to begin with, and that she just bleached it. It didn't look that damaged, either. Lucky girl.

mellie
July 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM
I hope mom doesn't mind - but here is her beautiful silver hair! :-) In the sun, it sparkled like mad and she got so much attention! She has since dyed it though...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1454&pictureid=17305

sexyjacksparrow
July 21st, 2008, 06:32 AM
It's so lovely to see all these pictures. I've not started getting any greys yet, but it's great to see how grey hair can look so fab.

Kerry xx

Monsterkitti
July 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM
My grandmother has amazing white hair she has had since her 20's, she keeps its pretty short not but its beautiful and she wows the hairdresser every time she goes :)

I havent got any grey through yet but seeing all the wonderful photos here dioes make me think about not dying them wehen they do :)

egg99
July 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
Here's a photo from of a relatively young woman with silver hair.

I think she carries it well. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53674854@N00/144943704/in/set-72057594135729438/

(photo removed)

That is simply beautiful!

ole gray mare
July 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Before LHC, I was the only chick I knew with hair like mine. Now I have a whole sisterhood! AND my hair is longer since I've really learned how to care for it. I truly like it, I'm unashamed to admit, I like my silver hair! ;)

enitsirk
July 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
I love long gray/white/silver hair.

Honestly I don't know what happens to so many women that they reach a certain age and suddenly chop all of their hair off and dye it red :run:

Definitely going to keep my grays whenever I get them!

mellie
July 22nd, 2008, 05:27 AM
More photos!! :-) It is such great motivation!!!

mellie
August 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Came across a beautiful silver mane in a magazine today, had to share!

http://blstb.msn.com/i/E2/799C44B1E7ED35714F1D5748A41D9.jpg

JKRBeloved
August 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks to LHC I started growing out my silvers almost exactly 2 years ago. I had dyed it for over 20 years. Now I LOVE the freedom it gives me.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/7308x325.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/DSCF4877x300.jpg

kissedbyfyre
August 6th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Grey hair is beautiful!!! I'm sorry but I haven't read the full thread (attention span of a gnat on speed here) but men AND women that let their hair go grey naturally I have gobs of respect for. I adore seeing long grey hair. It's so elegant and so refreshing. I've been trying to tell my mother for YEARS to stop dying her hair and let it grow out. Sadly she continues listening to her hair dresser.

I think what I love most about grey hair is that it's not just one solid shade. There's so many different shades within one head and the unique streaks are so awesome. I personally, hope to be an older woman with grey hair to her bum and beyond! Even my SO admitted to looking forward to seeing that.

To the men and women that keep their hair natural when it starts greying, please never even consider dying it!! It's beautiful. :) And to both sexes, if you carry it off well, yes it can be VERY sexy so never think otherwise. It kills me when I see a person with beautiful, sexy (yes I said sexy) grey hair dye it. :(

Dulci
August 6th, 2008, 10:04 PM
JKRBeloved, you look fantastic! :applause I wish mine would hurry up and turn silver...

spidermom
August 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks to LHC I started growing out my silvers almost exactly 2 years ago. I had dyed it for over 20 years. Now I LOVE the freedom it gives me.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/7308x325.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/DSCF4877x300.jpg

And it looks so beautiful, too! I think if the color were not associated with aging, more people would embrace it.

Nevermore
August 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM
To everyone who asked about gray dye: I believe a common (in the US) company, possibly Clairol, makes a line of gray/silver dye, for women who're already grey or headed there and want a different shade. Unless I'm going nuts, I think I've seen boxes of gray dye at walmart, with the rest of the chemical color.

silver rainbow: Your hair is beautiful. I want hair like that when mine goes gray/white. I'm really looking forward to that and I think I can expect it by the time I'm 40. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the non-gray/white hair when I end up significantly two tone. I guess microtrims until I have entirely white/gray hair.

egryphon
August 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I love these pictures of gorgeous grey/silver/white hair. Makes me feel very good about my white hair.
As soon as it gets a little longer and I am allowed to post photos I shall.

Andromeda
August 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM
My hair is sort of salt and pepper-ish with a solid streak of silver on the front. I wish it was more of a solid silver. I am not fond of the salt and pepper look at all. So for now it is kept under haircoloring stuff. I guess I am not ready for the grey yet.

mellie
August 7th, 2008, 12:49 AM
JKRBeloved, you have beautiful hair! Thanks for posting pics! :-)

mellie
August 7th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Here's another really gorgeous photo of Emmylou Harris:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Emmylou_Harris.jpg/400px-Emmylou_Harris.jpg

And just one more...

http://vegetarianstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/emmylou-harris.jpg

Semiramis
August 7th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Another pic. She is the ex-vocalist of the band Nightwish. Her natural color is dark (if you want to Google her - Tarja Turunen), but in this cover it is either a wig or Photoshop magic... Anyway, although it is fake and she is young, it looks stunning and she looks like a Snow Queen or Ice Queen or something!

Lady Evenstar of the Moolnit Black Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

mellie
August 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM
That's really cool!

Here's another:

http://www.refinery29.com/editorial/img/kateyoung_whitehair.jpg

Forest
August 7th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I agree with everyone else that grey/white hair often is really really beautiful. Many people fit much better in their natural silver than in the often redish or strong colours they dye it with. :(

I have quit removing greys that turn up in my hair, some of them are obvious because they are short and kind of stick up, oh well, hopefully they will grow and settle down.:cool:

Siava
August 7th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I've got an acquintance I bump into a few times a year. I ran into her about two months ago and she hadn't dyed her hair for awhile (it's very short). She looks 20 years YOUNGER with silver hair. I don't know if it's light reflecting from the lighter color or just the color of the hair against her skin tone, or maybe both, but wow...it makes a huge difference with some people I suppose.

WavyGirl
August 7th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I think people of middle age often look younger with grey or silver hair because we all associate it with getting old. People have been dying hair for so long that we forget how early it can happen to some of us. Most of the time the only women we see with that colour are 60 or older (much older around here)and it's only very recently it's becoming fashionable to be silver. So if someone commits to silver at a young age it's shocking. How nice that something natural can turn heads.

Teazel
September 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Okay, this is a little bizarre; here's Pink with grey hair:

I don't really know what to make of that, but apparently Pink thinks grey hair is cool! :D

mellie
September 11th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Wow, amazing! I wonder if it's just bleached then dyed?

Teazel
September 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I wonder! Maybe she used that grey/silver dye that Nevermore mentioned.

mellie
December 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM
This model has a wonderful gallery on her website of her beautiful silver hair:

http://web.me.com/yasminarossi/Site_11/Book.html#grid
http://web.me.com/yasminarossi/Site_11/Book.html#1

Xandergrammy
December 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
[/IMG]

:thud: She and her hair are so beautiful! :crush:

mellie
December 13th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I agree, she is stunning. I look forward to having gray hair if it will look like that!! :-)

Alana2000
December 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I really love this thread! I have noticed that I am starting to get the odd grey hair, so I may only get a salt and pepper effect, anyway, I am keeping it virgin for now. I have already told my family and friends to expect me to keep it grey, they didn't know what to think.

Addy
December 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Here is my gray/silver hairs. It seems to be coming in pretty good and it started in my 20's. My mom and dad are pretty gray and my mom's mom was white for as long as I can remember.
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4307/121008checkoutthegrayjf9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Side pic...
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9229/121008sidehairlinegraysgu4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I can't wait to see the grays splash through the length!

girlcat36
December 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM

http://web.me.com/yasminarossi/Site_11/Book.html#grid
http://web.me.com/yasminarossi/Site_11/Book.html#1

I just love her!

Demetrue
December 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Wow - Yasmina Rossi looks absolutely amazing - but she has the perfect skin tone for white hair - with her dark eyes and brows and olive complexion, she does not look washed out. And her facial bone structure is classically beautifully and the white hair just highlights it. Sigh - I wish I had inherited good bone structure and a tall thin body type, but I didn't :>(

AutumnSky
December 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I love the look of long silver hair....just beautiful!
SilverRainbow, Ole gray mare, you both have gorgeous, envialble silver tresses!

Sadly, I'd have to give my henna up NOW if I'm going to have hair that long and silver...and I'm just not ready yet...someday!

sahiba
December 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I checked out this thread after a long while and have found extremely gorgeous gray and white hair here. I'm really impressed :bowtome: Here's a thud for all you beautiful haired girls :thudpile: :)

mellie
December 14th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Here's another lovely lady and more about her story (allergy to PPD dyes):
http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/index.php/great_grays/article/elizabeths_story/

mellie
December 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
And another one - WOW!

http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/index.php/gray_today/article/reality_check/

Scroll down to see Carmen...

Carmen, the white-haired model who really started it all, has become a classic icon of sophisticated silver-ness. But look at her now in a new Rolex campaign. Sexy, glam, and over seventy!

harpgal
December 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Folks, I have removed many photos from this thread that could have gotten the LHC into trouble. Please remember that big celebrities have big-time lawyers and because we are such a well known website, we could well be in harm's way.

When you edited your post and place a link instead of the photo, please feel free to remove my little reminder.

Thank you so much for your cooperation. With all of your help, we can keep this site running smoothly. :flowers:

Fireweed
December 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Thank you so much.

Hedera
December 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM
That site with picture of Yasmina Rossi is great, and very inspirational, but I just love that Going Grey Looking Great site, even though it's in the end mostly an ad for the book.

I can't believe I haven't found that site earlier!
It's so great to find a place where going grey (or silver, pewter, etc) is considered a good thing, and where there are so many examples of non-models with grey hair, with all kinds of different looks, styles, ages, attitudes etc.
It just makes the whole non-dyeing thing feel a bit more 'normal' and accepted.

I only have relatively few silvers so far (10% at most, mostly at the front) and I already have to defend myself often for not colouring it.

In a way, it feels like a (more commercial) sister-site to the LHC.

Thank you for linking to it! :cheese:

RetroKitten
December 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Oh, I ADORE Carmen Dell'Orefice!

1 (http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Katie+Ford+Ross+Bleckner+Ford+Models+Host+gqyQ5NLV UM0l.jpg)
2 (http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/partypictures/2003/11.12.03/images/Tiffany/HarlowSelleckDellOrefice_03.jpg)
3 (http://img9.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-11938/loc1040/03041_Carmen-9_122_1040lo.jpg)
4 (http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/i/partypictures/07_14_08/P1010030.jpg)

mellie
December 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, she is a very inspirational beauty!!