PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Style

LisaB234
March 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hi LHC'ers-

I'm growing out fringe and have found that if I twist my hair on the sides it softens updos AND keeps those growing out pieces neatly contained. But the problem is how to "anchor" the sides twists. I've tried little jaw clips, but I have a tender head and the edges poke my scalp. . . My twists are too big to clip a bobby pin across.

I'd love to twist both sides and join them in the back like I sometimes do braids, but how do you hold a twist while you twist the other side and get them both together in the back. . . Dang slippery hair.

Do any of you know how to anchor twists or bring them together in the back with one clip? I'm at the point where if I see a person with this style I'm going to stop them and ask!

Hoping you can help first! ;-)

skyblue
March 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
You tube lol! There are some really good tutorials you can look at to get ideas or maybe even find something similar to what your thinking of to try out do a search for Torrin Paige she had great tuts to play with

enfys
March 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Side combs are good for this. I used to be able to just use bobby pins, but had combs for when I was feeling a little bit vintage.

ETA: May be thinking of different twists. I'm thinking of the 40s-esque ones, running along the whole of the front of the hair. I would pin the pleat as if it were a mini French roll.

lapushka
March 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Clip the one twist to your head with a (French) barrette, then do the other side. Easy, just clicks into place. I was going to suggest a claw clip first, but then you already tried that.

selderon
March 12th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Oddly enough, bobby pins are exactly the answer for me!

I twist the hair from front to back, adding more to the twist as I reach it. Every so often, I add a bobby pin in the opposite direction (open ends toward the front of the head) and angle it so the whole thing stays hidden under the twist. When you get to the center back of your head, temporarily secure the twist with a hair elastic, barrette or tiny claw. The twist is already held in place by the bobby pins. This just keeps the end hair from getting mixed in with other hair.

Repeat the process on the other side. Secure the twists together with a strong barrette or a small hair elastic.

ScarlettAdelle
March 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Good old fashioned hair pins might work nicely for you. You know, the ones they used in the 40s? They look something like Amish pins, except smaller and they don't bend.

There are youtube tutorials to teach how to use them. It took me a good few tries to get it right, but now I'll never go back to bobbys. Hair pins are so much gentler on my hair and scalp. 4 can hold up my bun

http://www.kellymariesdancewear.co.uk/images/Hair%20Pins.jpg

Phexlyn
March 13th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Maybe do a two-strand rope braid instead of just a single roll? That should be more secure on slippery hair.

Blandine
March 13th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Barrettes break hair easily - they are not what I'd use to grow out shorter layers/bangs.

Combs. Small claw clips. Mini or small Flexi8's.

QMacrocarpa
March 13th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Anne Akers Johnson's book "Hair: A Book of Braiding and Styles" has instructions for twists that start at the front and meet at the back as you describe. Maybe your public library has the book (I have it checked out from mine right now).

HintOfMint
March 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Oddly enough, bobby pins are exactly the answer for me!

I twist the hair from front to back, adding more to the twist as I reach it. Every so often, I add a bobby pin in the opposite direction (open ends toward the front of the head) and angle it so the whole thing stays hidden under the twist. When you get to the center back of your head, temporarily secure the twist with a hair elastic, barrette or tiny claw. The twist is already held in place by the bobby pins. This just keeps the end hair from getting mixed in with other hair.

Repeat the process on the other side. Secure the twists together with a strong barrette or a small hair elastic.

I second this. I still use bobby pins but I don't pin them across the twist. I anchor the bottom loop of the twist and insert the pin along the twist going up, if that makes any sense.

selderon
March 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Anne Akers Johnson's book "Hair: A Book of Braiding and Styles" has instructions for twists that start at the front and meet at the back as you describe. Maybe your public library has the book (I have it checked out from mine right now).

Actually, you can PM me for instructions on that one.

GRU
March 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I know you tried claw clips, but have you tried OCTOPUS claw clips?

I find these to be soooooo comfortable because the ends of the claws are horizontal to the scalp, rather than vertical, so they don't poke.

If you're not sure what the difference is, here's a page with pictures of octopus clips:

Octopus Hair Clips (http://blogs.hairboutique.com/index.php/2009/01/07/octopus-hair-clips/)

selderon
March 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I heart octopus claw clips.

danceri110
March 13th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Personally I would probably enlist the help of someone else to hold my twist(: