PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle for drag?

AlleyKitten
March 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm planning to go to a Drag Ball this evening, dressed as a man. I have a suit and all, which I am very excited about, but my hair is presenting a small problem.

What is the manliest way to wear past-classic hair? I don't think I'm going to be wearing a hat to hide it under, so I'm looking at either some kind of bun, or a braid of some kind, I guess. A cable braid might be good... I'm trying to come up with an idea that could be part of my costume, actively manly hair, rather than just being sort of the least girly way I can wear it, if that makes sense.

Any men or women who dress as men have input for me? Thanks!

QMacrocarpa
March 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I like your idea of a cable braid (two hawsers twisted together, I think?). Bunned hair can look great on a guy, but for your purposes I would go with a braid. Have fun!

jaine
March 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I have seen guys with long hair wearing it either in a low ponytail, or loose, or hidden under a knit hat.

enfys
March 12th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I wonder if you could accomodate all your hair into a quiff with a DA in the back? Like a rockabilly 'do.

If not, I'd go for a very slicked down, pulled back style with a deep side part then a braid at the back.

rena
March 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM
My dad's friend has pretty long hair which he wears in a regular ponytail. In fact, all the guys with longer hair I've seen just wear simple, quickly tied ponytails. Maybe if you don some type of mustache, and just kind of quickly throw your hair into a regular ponytail without thinking about it, like as if you're about to run out the door, and leave it at that. Use a black, brown, gray or dark colored, simple hairband, (but one that is good for your hair). Leave some bits just hanging out and give it a tussled sort of look. Sorry If I couldn't be more help.

ScarlettAdelle
March 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I had a boyfriend with waist length hair and when he got "tarted up" as he called it, he wore it in a ponytail with a black satin ribbon tied in a simple square knot at his shoulders.

... But then again, he was active in the "goth" scene and wore this with a decorated trench coat and a top hat. Think Interview with the Vampire, and you've pretty much got it XD

rena
March 12th, 2011, 06:01 PM
... But then again, he was active in the "goth" scene and wore this with a decorated trench coat and a top hat. Think Interview with the Vampire, and you've pretty much got it XD

Haha, cool!

sweet&sourkiwi
March 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
What about just slick it back, braid it, and put the braid down the back of your jacket?

RadiantNeedle
March 12th, 2011, 06:22 PM
My dad's friend has pretty long hair which he wears in a regular ponytail. In fact, all the guys with longer hair I've seen just wear simple, quickly tied ponytails. Maybe if you don some type of mustache, and just kind of quickly throw your hair into a regular ponytail without thinking about it, like as if you're about to run out the door, and leave it at that. Use a black, brown, gray or dark colored, simple hairband, (but one that is good for your hair). Leave some bits just hanging out and give it a tussled sort of look. Sorry If I couldn't be more help.

I was going to suggest something similar!
Goth yourself up, draw on a Van D(y)ke* (http://www.wahlnation.com/Content/images/encyclopedia/vanDyke-large.gif), have your hair back in a low pony tail, or 'club' the ponytail. I wish I could find reference pics for what I mean by clubbing. It seems to be like... Wrapping the length with ribbon after pulling the hair back in a low ponytail, and is used to describe warrior or noblemen's hairstyle worn when anticipating combat. I think it's similar to how people wrap up horse's tails.

Last time I did drag I slicked my hair back and hid it under a bowler hat. Went for a Charlie Chaplain look xD My hair was much shorter then, however!

*It's kinda sad that surnames are censored... I understand why with this particular word, but yeah. So, added some parentheses so people know what I mean. It's not an offensive link, though some people get very offended by beards!

ravenreed
March 12th, 2011, 07:05 PM
A beard! I am totally offended. :p

I like the idea of clubbing, but I also like the caterpillar braid look. I see a lot of long haired guys wearing that around here.

I was going to suggest something similar!
Goth yourself up, draw on a Van D(y)ke* (http://www.wahlnation.com/Content/images/encyclopedia/vanDyke-large.gif), have your hair back in a low pony tail, or 'club' the ponytail. I wish I could find reference pics for what I mean by clubbing. It seems to be like... Wrapping the length with ribbon after pulling the hair back in a low ponytail, and is used to describe warrior or noblemen's hairstyle worn when anticipating combat. I think it's similar to how people wrap up horse's tails.

Last time I did drag I slicked my hair back and hid it under a bowler hat. Went for a Charlie Chaplain look xD My hair was much shorter then, however!

*It's kinda sad that surnames are censored... I understand why with this particular word, but yeah. So, added some parentheses so people know what I mean. It's not an offensive link, though some people get very offended by beards!

Sundial
March 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Suggestion to bun it up and hide it under a hat - fedora, etc depending on what you are wearing. That way you can keep your hair protected while you're out having fun

dmitri
March 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM
A low pony tail could work (it is the "standard" guy look after all). Or a rope braid, fishtail braid, even a French braid. Caterpillar and scorpion tails seem too casual for this. If you want something fancy, but easy... maybe a topsy tail with an English braid? If you want to get really fancy... go Legolas: put your hair half-up in a fishtail braid, with a small English braid tucked behind each ear.

trolleypup
March 13th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Well, not much to add to the suggestions, although I spent a fair chunk of today, at work and at the sushi bar with my past classic hair preened and combed, down.