PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on your hair each month?

selderon
March 12th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I'm very curious about how our hair habits compare with those of our shorter-haired brothers and sisters.

How long is your hair today?
*About how much do you spend on your hair each month?
*How much of that is hair toys?
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer?
*On what do you spend the most for your hair?
*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter?

My hair is currently 19" inches long. (That's about T1 or T2 for the medical types.) I figure I spend about $15-20 monthly on my hair, with 10-15% of that being hair toys. If you can call hair elastics and bobby pins in the most basic colors "hair toys".

I have the occasional professional trim. The last one was four months ago and cost about $15. I will probably not get another until I see damage or my ends become uneven enough to bother me.

The greatest expense for my hair now is color. I use permanent box color to cover grays.

When my hair was shorter, I used more styling products, more expensive hair care products, got my hair cut every 6 weeks and colored every 8 weeks. Approximate total (at full retail price): $175 before tips. Because I worked at a salon at the time, my cost was closer to $50 a month (and a lot of referrals) before tips.

I hadn't calculated this before. I'm quite surprised at the savings!

enfys
March 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
40"

About how much do you spend on your hair each month?
£40ish recently, which I can't afford to keep up

How much of that is hair toys?
£20+ :o

Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer?
DIY trims occasionally, no colour

On what do you spend the most for your hair?
Other than toys, it's pretty cheap for me. I get though a fair bit of Aussie 3MM so I buy in bulk when it's on offer for £3 a bottle.

How does that differ from when your hair was shorter?
At BSLish I didn't buy toys so it's more expensive. The rest is the same.

To compare that to DH who has short hair: including haircuts and quality styling products, he has spent less than £20 all year. Even if I didn't buy any accessories it would be more than that for my hair.

emma907
March 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM
How long is your hair today? - Just shy of 30"

About how much do you spend on your hair each month? around £5 if that... (35p conditioner is fantastic!)

How much of that is hair toys? - Erm... None :S

Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? -DIY'er, since 2009!

On what do you spend the most for your hair? - Conditioner (coconut oil is my more expensive purchase but it last for AGES)

How does that differ from when your hair was shorter - Considerably, I used to buy all sorts of Shampoo/conditioners hairspray, serums, gels, curling cream..... ect.. not to mention the twice-yearly Cuts (that I never really liked anyway!)

elbow chic
March 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM
How long: about 25 inches:

How much do you spend/month: Maybe five dollars?

How much of that is hair toys: 2.50 per month? I have not yet bought any really cool hairtoys. I've tried all manner of bobby and hair pins... mostly money wasted, though. :(

I get a new package of elastics whenever my old ones disappear. Probably once or twice a year, tops.

Professional hair services: Not in the last year.

Biggest expenditure category: conditioner? I use a lot of it.

and I just bought another big thing of coconut oil, but I use that both for cooking and hair and it's hard to break down how much is going in the skillet vs. my hair.

How does that differ from shorter? When my hair was short I got it cut every two months, at 35 dollars or so? So that would be what, fifteen or sixteen bucks a month?

So long hair is probably cheaper for me right now. But not by a huge amount. I've just never spent a lot on my hair.

If I start a serious hair toy habit, it will wipe out my savings in no time. But that's okay-- I'm not growing my hair out specifically to save a few dollars a month. :D

Red_Wednesday
March 12th, 2011, 10:53 AM
*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? About $40
*How much of that is hair toys? $0 - I still have a few hair toys from when my hair was longer, but my hair is still too short right now to use any of them or to order any new ones.
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? I do self-trims when necessary.
*On what do you spend the most for your hair? Definitely conditioners. I'm always interested in trying out the latest and greatest conditioner, and if people give rave reviews on a particular product then I'm not above spending large sums of money to get it.:)
*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? Well, my hair is still technically short - it's a little past shoulder, but still relatively short compared to lengths around here:p. I'm not sure how it will change the longer it gets. Before when my hair was waist length, I started sampling all kinds of different products and tended to follow the trends. This time though, I think I just want to find a good routine and stick with it. I'm getting really close now, so hopefully by APL, I'll be good to go and have a routine that will take me through to my goal length:).

UltraBella
March 12th, 2011, 11:11 AM
*How long is your hair today?
My hair is hip length.

It really depends on the month. If it's a month I left my hair alone, then I am only buying conditioner so I probably spend $10. If I visit my stylist or buy hairtoys, oh boy, watch out. Stylist is typically about $100 for cut, color and highlights.

I just spent $82 on Ketylos two days ago but I don't buy hair toys often.

*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer ?
Since I own two salons - I definitely take advantage of the services. I do usually cut my own bangs and face framing layers though.

Getting rid of my copper red chemical color and transitioning back to a more natural color. I have been foiling in a color that matches my root growth and getting some thin highlights to make sure it all blends. It's time consuming, so that equals expensive.

It really doesn't. I have had long hair for many years. However, I used to use much more expensive conditioner.

CAPA7
March 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I have spent a LOT of money on my hair since December, largely on hair toys (I'm a little emabarassed to admit how much exactly... let's just say I have discovered Ketylos, Ficcare, Flexi 8, Quecrafts and 60th Street), but that's because I basically started from scratch. Now that I do have hair toys, I suppose I'll "calm down" and be able to have a routine of how much I spend each month.
I don't normally spend that much on hair products unless I want to treat myself, then I might go for a nice conditioner of something.

jaine
March 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Here's mine ... average since January 2010 is $52 / month.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/5519882269_634d05469d_b.jpg

December was high because I got a haircut and also bought two 32-ounce bottles of John Masters shampoo & conditioner, which is pretty expensive.

jaine
March 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Oh my ... I forgot to answer the questions.

shoulder

Averaged $52/month for the past year or so

Not much ... I usually use claw clips and oversized bobby pins from CVS

Professional

John Masters Organics products

I was spending more on haircuts (getting one every 3 months instead of once a year), but I had less hair to wash so I was also spending a lot less on conditioner ... overall about the same since my favorite conditioner is expensive

Vorvolaka
March 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM
- I have no idea, I don't measure. 1-2 inches above BSL though.

- Averaged throughout the year, probably less than £10.

- About half. I would buy more but I don't have the spare cash.

- A bit of both. Although, I'm going DIY alone as of this year due to lack of money.

- Hair toys probably. Coconut oil second.

- About the same. I didn't use coconut oil then but I bought and used a lot more styling aids.

FluffSpider
March 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Waist

...6 euros? In the wealthy months.

Almost none. I buy rather cheap hair toys, or DIY them

I do tims every 3-4 months, which set me back for about 4-5 euros.

Conditioner, and trims.

When having short hair, I didn't use condish, so that's minus one cost. BUT I washed way more often so that kind of compensates in shampoo cost.

I think, all considered, longer hair isn't much more expensive than short hair...

krissykins
March 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Waist length-ish
maybe $20?
depends on the month... if hair toy purchases are involved, I usually spend about $30-$40 on them :p
DIY/get my girlfriends to do it :D
Conditioner
It's always in my face when it's down. grr. Plus I can actually do updos, sort of.

princessp
March 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM
37"

This really varies, my guess is $120

Maybe $75-$100

I do it myself

Hairtoys

My hair has only been short once. But LHC has definitely made me addicted to certain hairtoy makers. So I am spending way more on hairtoys now and less on the salon (since I no longer trim and highlight, I have dropped trimming and I simply henna myself).

GrowingGlory
March 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
There are months when I don't spend any money on my hair at all. Usually I buy shampoo and conditioner seasonally at about $20 or less (lasts two seasons). I am not planning a haircut in 2011 instead of an annual or seasonal haircut, saving $20 - $80.

Last year, I spent $2 on hair safe bands, $17.98 on Goody Spin Pins and a Modern Updo Pin, $18 on organic jojoba oil, $15 on Triple Moon Anointing Oil, and $13.50 on Panacea's Hair Salve - Winter Blend. I also spent almost $20 on a Fuller LustreBrush Professional and $200 on a Mason Pearson Large Extra BBB.

They were worthy purchases but that was more than I spent on my hair over the previous five years, and likely more than I will spend over the next five years.

Ishje
March 12th, 2011, 12:08 PM
How long is your hair today? 36.2 inch

About how much do you spend on your hair each month? I think between 20 - 30 euro's

How much of that is hair toys? 85% is hair toy's XD

Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? I ask my BF to cut my hair :)

On what do you spend the most for your hair? Hairtoy's for sure, but that is because I have a tiny collection and I want more XD as soon as my collection gets bigger I will spend less...maybe.

How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? I spend more money on hairtoy's now, but since my hair is longer I have used more expensive shampoos and conditioners. on the other hand I don't wash my hair as often anymore, so I think it evens out.

pepperminttea
March 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM
A little past waist.

Let's see. Shampoo is about £1.50 a year, conditioner's £51-ish a year, oils and serums around £50 a year. Hair toys and tools I'd hate to think, but my honest guess would be around £300. So per month, that's £33.54.

£25, ish.

I self-trim, using Feye's method. For a blunt straight-across hemline it seems silly to pay for it when it's so simple, and I have the scissors for S&D already.

Hairtoys and tools, by the looks of it. (Tools covers things like hair brushes and scissors, since they're not really toys, but the vast majority is toys.)

Quite a lot, but I didn't care about my hair when it was shorter. I would've saved on some hairtoys, but I think if I'd cared for my hair in the same way the product costs wouldn't be that different, just ever so slightly lower since they'd last longer being used on less length.

luxepiggy
March 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
A few years ago, I made a bet with my coworkers that my annual hair-related expenditures were the lowest in our entire office. The gender ratio was around 70% men, 30% women and my hair was just past hip.

I won (^(oo)^)v

At that time, I was still using Pantene, so I was only spending ~$120 per year, since I self trim. These days I use somewhat pricier products, so my expenditures are higher, but I still spend less than all of my female friends.

Hip length

$30

I don't purchase hair toys on a monthly basis.

DIY

Conditioner

How does that differ from when your hair was shorter
I've never had short hair that I can remember - I've been waist or longer since I was about 5 years old (^(oo)^)v

lapushka
March 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM

WL

Differs from month to month. The biggest expenditure would be hairtoys, but even that differs from month to month, and once you have your basics (Ficcares, Flexi8s, Quattros, ...), you're set. It would be hard to estimate as it largely depends on the season, on the items available, the sellers, whether or not I find something to my liking and more importantly on whether or not I can afford said item(s). I have product to last me a few years, so I don't have to buy anything in that regard.

Currently? I'd say almost all, since I don't have to buy anything else for the time being.

It's been over 2 years since I had a professional service (perm). Not going to the hair dresser regularly has been the trend since my teens; I would go to the hairdresser, and then maintain it myself for years. It was mostly home cut then, and it still is now, though my mother now trims for me. No, or almost no money spent there.

Hairtoys, various styling products (as they are the more expensive items; I use cheap shampoo and conditioner)

It does in the sense that short hair, as well as a (trendy) precise cut, needs to be maintained by a professional and that is expensive (€40-50 every few months at least, without color service; full service is more like €100 every few months). And even with short hair, on top of the professional service, you still need product, and depending on hair length --if you go to a hairdresser-- you might even also need hairtoys. I think it's not so much short hair that is the costliest, I'd say, long, fully serviced hair would rank highest on the expenditure list.

leandrahime
March 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
- 36"

- Varies widely depending on how much money I have and if I find something I want. Usually a minimum of $5, but have spent as much as $150

- Also varies widely. This past month was 100% (a set of goody spin pins!)

-DIY as much as possible. Going to attempt Feye's trim soon!

- On a single item, probably oils or EOs

- WAY fewer pro services, many more homemade/natural products

skyblue
March 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
How long is your hair today? 38 inches
*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? Well I spent 2.50 on honey and thats about it so far this month, I still have plenty of everything right now ;)
*How much of that is hair toys? None
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? do-it-yourselfer
*On what do you spend the most for your hair? about 4 bucks if I see a more pricey conditioner usually I get dollar store condish and shampoo

I'm trying really hard not to get carried away with buying all kinds of stuff right now lol
I spent almost $10 on coconut oil last month and that was just crazy for me! eekkk!
*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? Well when my hair was shorter I just used my bar soap on it which was fine with some conditioner, so I hardly spent a thing then

Athena's Owl
March 12th, 2011, 02:16 PM

it really varies from month to month. so far this month I have spent $10, and every penny of that was on fabric flowers for my hair. I don't need to buy any shampoo or conditioner this month as I have plenty.

But next month i'll need to buy another container of coconut oil, which is $25. I still won't need to buy any shampoo or conditioner, as I will have plenty, but if stuff I like goes on sale anywhere for a dollar a bottle then I will buy to the limit (usually $10)

sometimes I decide to try new products. I don't have any firm commttment to salon products or grocery store ones, as I only care about results.

I haven't set foot inside a hair salon for 6 years. I got sick and tired of people who didn't know anything about curly hair or particularly cared about what I wanted for my hair. so I let it grow and trim it myself. I would go to a hairstylist if I knew that I was getting a curly hair expert who wouldn't hack off all my hair, and I would be willing to pay a hundred dollars - this is without any chemical services, mind you. just a haircut. I don't believe in not paying people for skill and expertise and honestly I don't think my hair could be trusted to anyone who wasn't *extremely* skilled.

I don't buy a lot of hair toys. Maybe I should, but I'm mostly concerned with conditioners and stylers and the like, so that's where I spend the bulk of my money.

When I had short hair I spent a lot of money on haircuts and relaxers and aveda products. I was constantly buying things. new things. trying to control my hair without any wisdom. I haven't tried to calculate it but I spend less money now than I did back then, even if I tried calculating it into 2011 dollars.

Hiriel
March 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM
*How long is your hair today? About 34 inches, past hip, not yet at tailbone.
*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? I don't really know, it might average to about $10 or something, but most months I spend nothing on my hair. And then one month I go and buy ficcares :rolleyes:
*How much of that is hair toys? Almost all of it. My shampoo is less than $2 for a bottle which lasts me for months. I buy oils etc less than once a year, I think. It lasts a long time!
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? DIY. I haven't been to a hairdresser since elementary school :p
*On what do you spend the most for your hair? Expensive hairtoys, like Ficcares and nice hairsticks.
*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? My hair hasn't really been short since I was a little kid--my expenses are divided into the "pre-LHC" and "post-LHC" categories. And yes, the change is dramatic. Enablers! ;)

sunnyhope
March 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
BLS length

- Varies widely depending on how much money I have and if I find something I want.
And since joining here I use more money on hair toys: this month i have bought a flexi, a fikkarei and some spiral twists( for me and my mum) and some goody elastic.
I also am waiting for some sticks and have bought but not yet payed for another set of sticks and are thinking of getting one more flexi.I love them, they are really pretty:D
Last month when i joined I bought coconut oil and some Indian oil and Shea butter.
That will last me a long time though.
Same with the shampoo and conditioner is always bought in large sizes so its not a monthly expense.
I have no idea how much I have spent the last 2 months but probably more than I have spent the last years.

- Also varies widely.
I am sure when I get a variety of toys I will only get something new every now and then.
I wouldn't be able to afford to keep up with the 2 last months purchases anyway.

Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourself?

Both, I will do my self trims since I am a hairdresser and I will try getting a hairdresser friend to do some tidy ups every now and then but only if she gets that she is only allowed to cut WHAT I SAY not what she thinks like last time.
Again that was her first time doing my hair so I think she misunderstood too but if she is gonna continue doing it I will save money on it.
If I go to the salon I was last which i was very happy and also got a nice blow dry which is a treat for me to have and will only do once in a blue moon for special occasions.

- On a single item, will def say toys for now but in the time coming it will be a mixture of oils and toys

- WAY fewer pro services, many more homemade/natural products.

Actually when it was shorter I worked in a salon(my health hadn't deteriorated so bad then) so back then i cut it more often, coloured it a lot more and in stranger combinations.
I m sure it was more expensive being shorter if I had to pay for it all.
When i calm down with the toys and oils and things I know this will be cheaper.

Hiriel
March 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer ?
Since I own two salons - I definitely take advantage of the services. I do usually cut my own bangs and face framing layers though.

But even if you do it yourself, it's still professional, isn't it? ;)

sunnyhope
March 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM
it really varies from month to month. so far this month I have spent $10, and every penny of that was on fabric flowers for my hair. I don't need to buy any shampoo or conditioner this month as I have plenty.

But next month i'll need to buy another container of coconut oil, which is $25. I still won't need to buy any shampoo or conditioner, as I will have plenty, but if stuff I like goes on sale anywhere for a dollar a bottle then I will buy to the limit (usually $10)

sometimes I decide to try new products. I don't have any firm commttment to salon products or grocery store ones, as I only care about results.

I haven't set foot inside a hair salon for 6 years. I got sick and tired of people who didn't know anything about curly hair or particularly cared about what I wanted for my hair. so I let it grow and trim it myself. I would go to a hairstylist if I knew that I was getting a curly hair expert who wouldn't hack off all my hair, and I would be willing to pay a hundred dollars - this is without any chemical services, mind you. just a haircut. I don't believe in not paying people for skill and expertise and honestly I don't think my hair could be trusted to anyone who wasn't *extremely* skilled.

I don't buy a lot of hair toys. Maybe I should, but I'm mostly concerned with conditioners and stylers and the like, so that's where I spend the bulk of my money.

When I had short hair I spent a lot of money on haircuts and relaxers and aveda products. I was constantly buying things. new things. trying to control my hair without any wisdom. I haven't tried to calculate it but I spend less money now than I did back then, even if I tried calculating it into 2011 dollars.

I dont have curly hair but I know what you mean about some stylist just dont have a brain when it comes to cutting curly hair.
You have to be so careful cause if you cut a milimeter wrong you can really damage those lovely curls.
Not to make it look meters shorter than it really is.

I v found kerastase proucts to work amazingly on really curly hair, I used to have this client coming in buying a kerastase creme leave in kind like she was geting a bible.
It worked wonders for her and she was terrified to run out as it was the one thing that controlled her curls.

I want curls too...............................:p

cuddledumplin
March 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
35 ish inches which is waist on me because I'm only 5'2".

About £10 at most.

I don't buy many hairtoys because I have so many already, but I do occasionally buy a headband or something for £3 or so.

I do my own trims, and I don't colour.

I spend about £5 on shampoo and conditioner.

It's cheaper because I don't go to the salon at all. I haven't been since my wedding day, and that was 3 1/2 years ago.

pink.sara
March 12th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I'm at shoulder so it's very short by LHC standards.
I spend about £20- £30 a month on hair and as it's short I only buy hairclips/flowers once every couple of months.
I DIY cut and colour or it would cost about £120 every 6weeks!
I spend the most on my dyes about £8 a month. I use alot of vegetable colours.

jeanniet
March 12th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I'm at BSL. I don't know how much I spend each month because I try to avoid knowing. :D I'd say 75-90% of what I spend is on hair toys. Product costs are minimal because I do a herbal routine. I'd guess the costs for a year would be maybe $30 or so. I henna/indigo, so that's maybe $15 a month? I'm DIY for trims. Compared to before, I spend more on hair toys but less on salon visits and product. I figure the hair toy expenditures aren't as much as they seem because I recycle toys on the swap board. It's not a wash, but not as much of a financial outlay as it may seem month to month.

Jaine, my husband is an accountant and he would be very impressed with your nice neat chart. Needless to say, I'm not showing it to him. :p

Fufu
March 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
- How long is your hair today?
Between APL and BSL, some longer layers has touched the top of the bra strap.

- About how much do you spend on your hair each month?
I don't spend on hair products or hair toys every month. I do go for hair colouring and treatment twice a year. That will be about S$500 for 2 times, adding on maybe spending S$300 worth of flexi 8s. Per month hair spending will be estimated at S$66.

- How much of that is hair toys?
Oops I kind of answered this question as above.

- Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer ?
For fringe, I maintain myself until I visit my regular hairstylist she will then do a proper fringe cut/trim for me. For hair colouring, definitely look for my hairstylist :)

- On what do you spend the most for your hair?
I will say flexi 8s for now. I'm using Oshima Tsubaki camelia oil as well and I find the price reasonable, which I think a small bottle can last at least 3 to 6 months for me, and I share the oil with my mum.

- How does that differ from when your hair was shorter?
Differ alot, when my hair is short, I totally hack care my hair, shampoo and condition whenever I needed and basically do nothing to it. Only when my hair was getting near to APL i began to take care of my hair.

silverstars
March 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Its about 18in or so

This month has been more because I just started oiling my hair and I bought a few different kinds to mix together. Usually its somewhere around $5.

Unless I need to buy more elastic or pins (I tend to lose a lot of them) its none. My hair isn't quite long enough to merit buying more toys

I have been getting it trimmed at a salon. I don't trust myself in cutting a straight line

Recently its been the different kinds of oils

I used to buy mouse and other things. I used to have it in a bob.

christine1989
March 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM
My hair is around 21 inches long.
My shampoo and hair oil lasts a long time so my monthly expenses are mostly on conditioner and vitamins (around $20 per month give or take).
I haven't bought a hair toy in over a year!
I usually trim myself so no salon trips recently.
I spend the most money on hair vitamins. The small ones are the only ones I can swallow and they seem to be the most expensive type :(.
When my hair was shorter I never spent money on "quality" conditioners, oils or hair vitamins but the electricity I racked up with my blowdryer and flat iron was probobly costly. I also broke flat irons regularly and was always buying new ones. The biggest money saver has been not getting my hair cut every few months. It costs $60 for a hair cut where I go (and thats the special reduced "friend price"!)

ladylovecraft
March 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
How long is your hair today? About 24"
*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? Err, that depends. I've bought quite a few hair toys recently as I've realized I can use them now! But I'll stop now that I have a little collection. For my dyes, I don't dye monthly, I dye every three months, so... roughly 35$ a dye session.
*How much of that is hair toys? I've lost track : P
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? DIY all the way! Even when I was bleaching my hair every three months (oops), I did it myself. Way more efficient.
*On what do you spend the most for your hair? Lately, hairtoys, but now that I have a small collection I'll just use those for a while. Otherwise, sfx hair dye comes out slightly more expensive than my henna.
*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? Way less expensive. I would do a full head bleach every three months, buy a variety of sfx dyes, wash it way more often and use more product... once I cool down on the hair toy spending it will be way cheaper. I've also started self-trimming and haven't wasted money on a hair stylist in almost two years. : D

RocketDog
March 13th, 2011, 07:37 PM
There are months where I spend nothing on my hair, then others where I make up for the previous month's savings by buying a Ficcare. I henna my hair monthly, but I spent about $100 on enough henna to last me two years so that's not too bad at all, considering I used to drop more than that for ONE cut and color/highlights visit to the salon! I don't spend a ton on products, under $10 for shampoo and conditioner that last me 2 months or so, plus coconut oil at under $10 that lasts about 6 months. Even counting $40 a pop for Ficcares, I save tons of money by avoiding routine visits to the salon!!

Adamia
March 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
How long is your hair today? About 49 inches (mid thigh for me).
*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? Maybe 3-4 dollars.
*How much of that is hair toys? None.
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? Do it myselfer. I have never even been inside a hair salon.
*On what do you spend the most for your hair? The biggest amount I chunked out was probably a silk sleep cap, but conditioner really builds up over time.
*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? When my hair was shorter, my mom still payed for everything.

embee
March 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
How long is your hair today? 44-45 inches +-

About how much do you spend on your hair each month? $0 this winter

How much of that is hair toys? Have not bought any hairtoys lately.

Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? Neither. I have not been to a salon in - oh, a decade or three. Last trim/cut was at home in 2005. What a mistake!

On what do you spend the most for your hair? Hairtoys, as I don't buy shampoo or conditioner.

How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? When my hair was short I washed/conditioned every day. No hairtoys though.

Long is *way* cheaper for me! :D

SurprisingWoman
March 13th, 2011, 11:32 PM
How long is your hair today? Just past classic
*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? under 5 a month
*How much of that is hair toys? My last brush came from the dollar store, my claw clips come from the dollar store and my chopsticks come from the Asian market, $2.50 a pair
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? I have been a do it yourselfer for many, many, many years
*On what do you spend the most for your hair? Probably shampoo and conditioner, because they are constants
*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? I don't buy color anymore :)

I don't do fancy/expensive hair toys. I buy shampoo at Costco with a coupon or at the grocery store on sale. My local dollar store provides most of my other things and my husband cuts my hair.

Easy Peasy

jasper
March 14th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I think the amount I spend now is probably close to what I spent with shorter hair, but with different distribution.

Hair toys are my big expense. I will pay $25 to $35 for sticks and forks when the mood strikes me, but that is not monthly. I spent more than that last month because it was my birthday. I think the rest of my hair routine is cheap enough to justify the toys, which I buy from artists- support the arts!

I am a do it yourself trimmer and have been for several years.

I buy Suave products, so that's about $3.00 for a couple of months worth.

I mix up deep treatments in the kitchen about once a month, and might use as much as $2.00 worth of ingredients like oils, bananas, honey, yogurt or eggs, but I think if I did the math, the average figure probably would be less than $1.00.

When my hair was shorter, I bought more expensive hair products, and paid for some hair cuts- but self trimmed too- and bought cheap hair toys at the grocery store.

virgo75
March 14th, 2011, 05:51 AM
APL

Depends on what I'm experimenting with. I very seldom actually 'need' anything. I'm usually just buying some new products to try out. Anywhere from $5 to $50.

Usually $0. I only have 1 or 2 bought locally. Don't care about hair toys as much as I care about the length and condition of my hair.

I haven't used professional hair services in about 20 years. Every experience I've had with professionals has been BAD! :nono: So I do everything myself and it's working out better for me.

Trying out new products - mainly conditioners and deep conditioners. I always think there will be one that will work like "magic" in my hair. :rolleyes:

My hair isn't that long now, but when it was shorter I spent even MORE money trying things out. Now I've tried just about everything so I'm spending less. Plus, half the time if I read about some "wonderful" product I already have it in my closet. :lol:

hayesa
March 14th, 2011, 11:16 AM
About 28'' or so? I've not measured for a few months- saving it for after the big (small! Please, small!) trim on Thursday.

It varies. This month, it's going to be in the £40 range, with coconut oil and a trim.

Hardly any, except hair pins and basic scrunchie things.

I S&D myself, but on occasion, like now, all the ends need to come off in order to minimise damage. I pay nearly £30 for a trim (literally quarter to half an inch off the ends), but it's worth every penny, as I know the man that cuts it for me listens and won't take a mm more than we agree on!

Conditioner. My skin is very finnicky about what it'll tolerate anywhere near it, and it's not unheard of for me to get blisters from shampoos.

So much time in the hairdresser's! When I was little, I hated having my hair cut, because it was shaved into a bob. It took a visit every four weeks to keep it like that (although to my younger self, it seemed like a lot less time between visits!)

Safira
March 14th, 2011, 11:18 AM

27,5 inches

Cannot say, sometimes over 70 $, sometimes none.

Last month 30-40 $

I dont trust professional hair services :)

Deep-conditioning and leave-ins.

I´m much more patient with my hair, I treat it better and pamper it.

RitaPG
March 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
27.2 inches

Couldn't say.
My stash doesn't get all used up in a month xD
I don't buy shampoo/conditioner every month. The bottles all cost around 3€ each, and they last more than a month (I use both Herbal Essences and Garnier Ultra Mild) except for the Body Shop Ginger Scalp poo, that one was a little more pricey, but is also bigger and lasts longer.
I have coconut oil (7€) and jojoba oil (9€), they last almost a year.
I don't go to salons, I cut it myself, and color it at home once or twice a year.

I can stay for several months without wasting any money on hair products, and spend 20 or 30€ on another.

Surprisingly, I don't have a lot of them either: A pair of scrunchies, three cheap hairsticks, some claws, hair clips, and a decorated bobby pin.
My most expensive buy were my satin ribbons, and they really aren't that expensive either.

All by me onesies :D

I think the oils are my most expensive products.

I'm not sure what this question means, English is not my first language :o
But when my hair was shorter (meaning: I didn't care about it nor was I interested in growing it) I used whatever we had around the house to wash it, usually Johnson's baby shampoo or H&S, and some random drugstore conditioner. I didn't spend a cent because my mom took care of those things.
Now I buy my own hair (and body) products. I don't think I spend that much money though, I don't use styling products at all, just my good ol' shampoo, conditioner and oil :)

RitaCeleste
March 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
My hair is just past brastrap length.
I generally spend about $30 per month on haircare.
I am cutting it myself.
My hair barrettes were bought at Walmart or a Drugstore. I clamp it at the base of my neck or put up everything above the ears in a barrette occasionally.
I color it and recently went way over budget doing serious hair repair. The expense of having long hair climbed, I'll average about $40 per month now that I've added oils and a more expensive conditioner and protein treatments.
I didn't spend as much on shampoo and conditioner when my hair was shorter. Coloring would be half the price but I didn't color as much when it was shorter. I never had to do a protein treatment. I can cut my own hair even when I wear it shorter. I've only been to salons about once every 2 years as it takes about that long to undo the cuts they give me. If I would stop coloring, my long hair would be cheap to keep, I'd just spend twice as much on shampoo and conditioner.

wendyg
March 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
More or less tailbone. Other than hair toys, I spend very little and most of it I'd have to spend anyway: replacement cartridges for the shower filter run about $6 a month; Aveeno bars last me about a month and I use them for both skin and hair, and they're about $3.50 each. The only really hair-only thing I use is Phyto 9, which admittedly is expensive, but a $20 tube lasts me at least three or four months. All in, under $15.

And no professional services at all.

wg

anthonyswife
March 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
This is a fun survey. :)

How long is your hair today? Tailbone.
*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? $4-10, actually closer to every other month.
*How much of that is hair toys? $0 lol. I buy a hair toy maybe once a year. Last year it was a grahtoe fork for $30, this year it will be a ficcare.
*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? I used to go to the same hairdresser I've gone to most of my life about once or twice a year, however I recently realized it's kind of pointless and a waste of money, I get so little trimmed off. And I cut my husband's hair myself since it's just a buzz, so...I've started doing my own trims, too. I just trimmed my own fringe last week and I'm really happy with the results. :)
*On what do you spend the most for your hair? Shampoo & conditioner and other ingredients, like oils. I always get the same conditioner (Garnier Triple Nutrition) and oil (coconut) but I've been experimenting with shampoos. I also really want to try Indian herbs this month.
*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? I experimented just as much with s&c (although more often than not I just used VO5), but I also got trimmed way more often (probably every four months) and dyed on occasion. I haven't dyed in years.

HairColoredHair
March 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Knee.
Counting conditioner, partial shampoo (since it lasts me more than a month unless my roomies nick it)... Um... Ten bucks?
Haven't bought toys (including bands) in months... When I do it'd be a pack of bands, generally because the cat has stolen all of them.
What are these 'professional hair services' of which you speak? :confused: :lol:
Conditioner. Henna, when I feel like doing henna, but usually conditioner (not that THAT amounts to much.)
Does waist count as shorter? I bought more toys then. But most of them (except the cheap ones I've broken) are still around.

mrs_coffee
March 14th, 2011, 04:58 PM
How long is your hair today? Between chin and shoulder

*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? As much as a bottle of shampoo and conditioner cost...plus 100g of henna, although I don't go through a whole bottle of shampoo or conditioner a month.

*How much of that is hair toys? None.

*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? I do it myself.

*On what do you spend the most for your hair? Conditioner

*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? It doesn't. I've cut and styled my own hair since I was 17.

adiapalic
March 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
47"+/classic+

Just got conditioner for about $11, AO Honeysuckle Rose. Ouchless brown rubberbands for less than $4. That's it for this month. Last expensive thing I bought was $45 GrahtoeStudio hair fork Summer 2010. Got some jojoba oil and hair sticks for Christmas.
Excluding shampoo, conditioner, and oil, spending money on hair supplies is a rare treat for me.

Throughout the year, I'd say hairtoys vs. shampoo/conditioner is maybe 50/50.

I've actually never been to a hair stylist. It's not a family or cultural thing either--mama and sister go semi-regularly. I'm just the oddball.

Hairtoys are the most expensive items for my hair, especially Ketylo, GrahtoeStudio, and 60th Street. They are top quality hair toys though. You get what you pay for.

Shorter for me was waist length, and I'd definitely say that hair toys are a must for my longer hair now if I want to get things done in the garden or at school/work. However, if I had known about the techniques of using hair forks and hair sticks at the time I had waist length, I would have bought them anyway.

LHC is largely an enabler on these discoveries and experimentations :laugh: :flower:

Sophiawavyhair
March 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
APL

20 Dollars (15 for Microtrims, 5 for hair products)

Zero! My hair is way too short for hair toys ... It's either loose or in a ponytail.

I see a stylist every month for microtrims. (Getting rid of damage) No blowdry or flat iron, just the trim.

Microtrims

No difference, it's still short! :(

Nae
March 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Zero! My hair is way too short for hair toys ... It's either loose or in a ponytail.

Not to be an enabler or anything but I do believe that your hair is longer than mine and I have a crazy amount of hairtoys and I can use them all!

As far as how much I spend on my hair every month. I will just have to mumble a number incoherently under my breath and make a quick exit.

slythwolf
March 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
About 2.5" short of classic.

$3-5 or so.

None; I only get hair toys once in a great while with birthday or Christmas money. Unless you count, like, quarterly purchases of those little clear elastics as "hair toys".

I do it all myself.

Conditioner.

I used to buy mousse and spray and highlighting kits.

Sophiawavyhair
March 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I guess I tried hair sticks not too long ago and my bangs and layers started sticking out ! I got frustrated and just put them aside and told myself I'll get new hair toys when my hair is even and longer ... but you are right... :)

rosek
March 15th, 2011, 03:59 AM
45.5''

Around $50?
70%
I cut my hair myself.
Hair toys, closely followed by conditioner!
I was getting my hair coloured, but I did it maybe six times in total. I didn't buy nearly as many hair toys mostly!

Nae
March 15th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I guess I tried hair sticks not too long ago and my bangs and layers started sticking out ! I got frustrated and just put them aside and told myself I'll get new hair toys when my hair is even and longer ... but you are right... :)

Oh yes layers can be tricky! I still sometimes have to tame mine down with some bobby pins. Try your sticks out again, you may just need a little practice. ;)

Rivanariko
March 15th, 2011, 06:02 AM
37ish inches? I haven't measured in a few months

less than a dollar, if I had to estimate. Aussie 3mm is not expensive, and because I stretch washes to about once a week and my fine hair doesn't need a ton of shampoo or conditioner, a bottle usually lasts me for months at a time. I maybe buy shampoo twice a year? I spend no other money on my hair.

None. I might splurge once a year or so and buy a new stick or something, but not often enough to call it a "monthly expense"

Totally do it myself. But all I do is a small trim every 3-4 months. My hair is pretty low-maintenance.

Conditioner, I suppose. I go through that faster than shampoo.

Well, my hair was never short... and I never paid for my own professional trims. But before I found LHC I washed my hair every day, so I went through shampoo and conditioner a lot faster... So I'm saving money in that way. It lasts at least 3-4 times longer now I'd say, so that's savings.

jesis
March 15th, 2011, 09:56 AM
23"

On haircuts, shampoo, conditioner, products, and hairtoys it comes to around $30/month

Basically nothing. Maybe $2-5 per month.

I get my hair professionally trimmed about every 4 months, which is $40 each time. I s&d and self-trim the rest of the time.

Hair products (shampoo, conditioner, etc)

My hair has been this length for a really long time!

"I think, all considered, longer hair isn't much more expensive than short hair..."

I would have to agree with that statement!

GRU
March 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Straight: Butt Crack
Curly: Waist-ish

Hard to say, because I tend to stock up when stuff goes on sale. I'd guess maybe $15 on average?

Half-ish. Again, hard to say, because I might get a few items one month and then nothing for three or more months.

Do-it-myselfer for about the past five years, I guess.

Pretty even mix between conditioners, oils, and toys, I think.

I used to buy different leave-ins and styling products, plus shampoo (I'm CO now), and I'd get a haircut every 6-8 weeks to maintain my bangs/layers. Not including my gasoline driving back and forth (about 20 miles each way to my hairdresser), I was averaging $15/month just on haircuts, not including any products at all.

x0h_bother
March 15th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Ohhhh boy *sticks head in the sand* this is why I'm part of the Using up Stash thread.

2in from waist

When I'm not using the stash and being bad, $3-20 per item, I'd say one per month

0.5%. I once in a blue moon buy small claw clips.

Pro service- one haircut every 3or 4 months.

CONDITIONERS. see Stash for more details.

Was not a part of LHC!

oktobergoud
March 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Uhhh I have no idea, I never measure. I think about ehh 5/6 inches? Which has been bleached a lot D:

Uhm well normally not so much, although I like to try out lots of things. Lately I've tried natural stuff and then gone back to SLS & cones again and.. sigh, have tried way too much. I think maybe 40 dollars a month (lately, not normally!)?? Now I'm not buying anything anymore :P

Well I've bought a few clips, that is all (pixie cut eh :P), they were cheap as well so 2 dollars in total? :P

I use professional hair services, yes, but lately not.

Shampoos, conditioners and leave-ins. :x

Nothing since it's still really short haha! Funny fact: since I've had short hair I spent WAY more money and time on my hair than when it was long.. I only used a plain shampoo back then, nothing more!

teela1978
March 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Lets see...

How long is your hair today? A little past waist... 33 inches maybe?

*About how much do you spend on your hair each month? I estimated a bit for the last year or so and ended up around $4-5.

*How much of that is hair toys? None, haven't bought any in the last year (that I can remember anyway... selective memory :))

*Do you use professional hair services or are you a do-it-yourselfer? I trim my own hair, using hair scissors I bought at walmart several years ago.

*On what do you spend the most for your hair? Conditioner takes up the most of my budget, probably followed by coconut oil (a good portion of that goes to making popcorn though).

*How does that differ from when your hair was shorter? Not a whole lot... Maybe double the price of things to keep up with a professional haircut every few months (from cheapo chain salons).

firicia
March 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I don't actually know, with curls it kind of sits on my BSL

Hmm.... depends on if I need more shampoo or not:D

I just bought myself my first set of toys this month, but other then that I really never bought that stuff.

I used to do professional, but the cost is very high and I was not getting what I wanted. Right now I am doing nothing, and hoping some how I can or maybe my mom can give me a small trim next time I really need one.

Shampoo and conditioner, my hair doesn't like the cheaper kinds.

It costs a lot less money. I am no longer dying it red in a salon (saves like $1,200/year), no longer getting forced hair cuts every time I dye it cuz "it needs some taken off when you dye or it won't be healthy and grow" ($90 every trim or cut).... haha wow not being able to afford that anymore actually is the best thing I have ever done for my hair personally in my quest for growth.

Oh I also no longer need hair spray or shiner now that I am embracing my natural curls:cheese:

Messyhair
March 15th, 2011, 07:30 PM
It's 23.75" as of yesterday, so should be about the same today. :p

Not a whole lot, since I'm in the Use Up Your Stash Challenge and have put a ban on buying shampoo and conditioner for a while. When I get buying again, maybe $5-10.

I rarely buy hair toys, but I'm hoping to get some nice ones over time as I grow. Really it's only when I've saved up a bit of money right now.

Nothing professional - it's all me.

Hair toys, when I get them, but conditioner most of the time. I found a nice cheapy shampoo that I love, and now I need an equally cheapy conditioner. :rolleyes:

I use no conditioner when my hair is short!! But then I tend to dye it once a month, so that adds up. Plus the haircuts at the salon... it's WAY cheaper to be a longhair!