PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian blowout danger

Eire
March 11th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I noticed this article from Cosmo and thought I'd pass it along in case anyone was considering the treatment:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/formaldehyde-chemical-in-brazilian-blowout

ScarlettAdelle
March 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM
The only problem I have with this is that so many products have so many things in them that are potentially dangerous in so many ways, it's unfair of them to point the finger at one and not the rest. If they're going to go after one product with formaldehyde in it, they need to go after all the products with formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasing preservatives in them (which is most of them) that may possibly be cocktailed with other products and then used with a form of heat styling.

x0h_bother
March 11th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Eire your hair reminds me of UltraBella's!

Eire
March 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
The only problem I have with this is that so many products have so many things in them that are potentially dangerous in so many ways, it's unfair of them to point the finger at one and not the rest. If they're going to go after one product with formaldehyde in it, they need to go after all the products with formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasing preservatives in them (which is most of them) that may possibly be cocktailed with other products and then used with a form of heat styling.

That's true... I guess the part that jumped out at me is that you might be exposed to toxic chemicals even when in the vicinity of someone who's having the treatment done. Something to keep in mind!

Eire your hair reminds me of UltraBella's!

Wow, thanks! That's quite a compliment, since her hair is very pretty (and a lot thicker than mine, I'm sure!) I think we are both fans of caruso rollers. :)

Allychan
March 11th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Besides the dangerous chemical cocktail of the Brazilian Keratin treatment is the damage it inflicts on your hair. I used this stuff thinking it would get rid of my 'kinks' and improve the texture of my hair. All I got was scraggy rat tail breakage.
But thanks to LHC I have removed it from my hair and it is growing again. The coconut oil has improved it beyond comprehension.
Below are the results from using the Brazilian hair treatment for a year
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=93076&albumid=7039&dl=1297924069&thumb

bubblyredhead
March 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I just want to say that it does not break everyones hair and there are now formaldehyde "free" versions although how free they really are I have no idea.

ScarlettAdelle
March 12th, 2011, 12:30 AM
That's true... I guess the part that jumped out at me is that you might be exposed to toxic chemicals even when in the vicinity of someone who's having the treatment done. Something to keep in mind!

And that's a completely valid worry to have. However, it irked me that the article failed to mention that literally hundreds of thousands of other products ALSO have formaldehyde (under various names) and or formaldehyde releasing preservatives in them. These products are often administered via aerosol sprays and or serums which are then used in conjunction with heat styling, whether it's mandatory for them to work or not. If this treatment is going to be vilanized because of its formaldehyde, then it should've been mentioned that ANY product containing formaldehyde (or FRP's) will give off the same possibly cancer causing fumes when used in conjunction with heat styling.

It always gets to me when one is singled out of the crowd for something many do, be it one car getting singled out on the freeway for speeding when the flow of traffic is over the speed limit or one system getting singled out for a single type of ingredient.

Nae
March 12th, 2011, 06:10 AM
And that's a completely valid worry to have. However, it irked me that the article failed to mention that literally hundreds of thousands of other products ALSO have formaldehyde (under various names) and or formaldehyde releasing preservatives in them. These products are often administered via aerosol sprays and or serums which are then used in conjunction with heat styling, whether it's mandatory for them to work or not. If this treatment is going to be vilanized because of its formaldehyde, then it should've been mentioned that ANY product containing formaldehyde (or FRP's) will give off the same possibly cancer causing fumes when used in conjunction with heat styling.

I would agree totally here. Thankfully I never heatstyle so this isn't a concern for me. I will keep it in mind though for sure. I have teenage daughters you never know what crazy thing they are going to want to try.

Oksana
March 12th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I have previously posted on the subject but if it's gets the message across...

PLEASE DON'T HAVE IT!

I had 2 brazilian Keratin treatments that were 'formaldehyde free'. They may be formaldehyde free but contain 'aldehyde' (sp?) a very similar chemical to formaldehyde.

Everything was perfect for over 6 months, i had hair that behaved, was shiny and could blow-dry pin straight. Then disaster happened, in a space of 3 days the end 2 inches of all my hair became frazzled, as if i had held a straightener on till it burnt. I had to cut 2 inches off my hair and still for a month after damage kept appearing. Finally after cutting 3 inches it has stopped.

Please consider that in this time i didn't bleach or straighten. The worst i treated my hair was blow-drying. I have pretty tough hair, for 7 years i straightened my waist length hair twice a day and all i got was a few splits and some dryness. I am 100% sure it was the Brazilian treatment.

Alongside this 8 months later i still don't have my curls back. I have wavy hair now and have tried everything i can to get this stuff out of my hair. If anyone has suggestions on how to get this treatment out so i can have my curls back....Pleaaaassseeee let me know!

Learn from my mistake. :o:(

CAPA7
March 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I actually seriously considered getting this done in a salon, the price put me off but I was determined to save up until I could afford it, as I thought it would finally help me get rid of my frizzies. Boy, am I glad I stumbled upon LHC instead! My hair certainly isn't straight but it has healthy waves and has never been in a better condition. I'm really glad I didnt go near these chemicals.

rocket_surgeon
March 12th, 2011, 01:11 PM

It always gets to me when one is singled out of the crowd for something many do, be it one car getting singled out on the freeway for speeding when the flow of traffic is over the speed limit or one system getting singled out for a single type of ingredient.
This is true, but what makes Brazilian Blowout stand out is that it's a higher-end salon product (and is therefore supposed to be "better") that contains up to 12% formaldehyde. Health Canada found that it contains more than sixty times the formaldehyde that is allowable by law. The first regulator to start questioning BB's safety was an OHSA; hairdressers in salons where it was used were getting sick and they had to find out why. If there were a lot of products that contain this much formaldehyde, situations like that would be a lot more common.

To me, it looks like there was an initial failure on the safety testing end of things. I'm glad it was caught eventually, and I do hope that the public outcry over this encourages more rigorous testing before these products are made available to the public.

Suzysu
October 20th, 2015, 05:55 AM
I have previously posted on the subject but if it's gets the message across...

PLEASE DON'T HAVE IT!

I had 2 brazilian Keratin treatments that were 'formaldehyde free'. They may be formaldehyde free but contain 'aldehyde' (sp?) a very similar chemical to formaldehyde.

Everything was perfect for over 6 months, i had hair that behaved, was shiny and could blow-dry pin straight. Then disaster happened, in a space of 3 days the end 2 inches of all my hair became frazzled, as if i had held a straightener on till it burnt. I had to cut 2 inches off my hair and still for a month after damage kept appearing. Finally after cutting 3 inches it has stopped.

Please consider that in this time i didn't bleach or straighten. The worst i treated my hair was blow-drying. I have pretty tough hair, for 7 years i straightened my waist length hair twice a day and all i got was a few splits and some dryness. I am 100% sure it was the Brazilian treatment.

Alongside this 8 months later i still don't have my curls back. I have wavy hair now and have tried everything i can to get this stuff out of my hair. If anyone has suggestions on how to get this treatment out so i can have my curls back....Pleaaaassseeee let me know!

Learn from my mistake. :o:(

I have also lost my curls from doing the Brazilian Blowout twice - my hair is wavy now. I actually don't mind that but I do mind the fact that I lost over 50% of my hair and have extended partings and a small bald spot. You are actually really lucky you didn't have hair loss.

I just wondered if you had an update on your hair - any progress? Did you get your curls back?