PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate-free Shampoo with Silicones

CavyQueen
March 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hi! I use deep conditioners and leave-in conditioners with silicones. These silicones include (not all together): trimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, amodimethicone, and worstly dimethicone. These conditioners also include plant oils, plant extracts, and minerals. Thus, they are not just loaded with silicones. I was wondering if I could use sulfate-free shampoos with these conditioners. How much of the silicones would stay on my hair? I do deep oil treatments twice a week and I clarify about twice a month. I want the oil treatments to work well and I am wondering if a sulfate-free shampoo would hinder that by not washing off all of the silicones. Thank you. :)

HintOfMint
March 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I can't remember off the top of my head which builds up and which doesn't, but I would advise you to check out naturallycurly for water soluble silicones and cones that can be removed with sulfate-free or even CO washing. They're pretty obsessive about ingredients over there (more so than even this site, if you can believe it) so there's some great information out there.

From what I've read, only certain cones are compatible with a sulfate-free or limited sulfate routine. Good luck!

DTsgirl
March 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
If you are clarifying with a sulfate shampoo twice a month, I would think you would be good. If you are concerned, time your clarifying with your deep treatments; clarify, then treat, for maximum efficiency.

pariate
March 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM
This thread (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/2532-cones-polyquats-ions-removal-buildup.html) will tell you about the detergents required to remove the silicones you have mentioned. When considering the removal of silicones from hair it is not always enough to consider which are "water soluble".

Hope this helps.

BrightEyes7
March 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I use a sulfate free shampoo (Loreal EverSleek) and I use a coney deep conditioner as my regular every wash conditioner.(Aussie 3 Minute Miracle) I do deep oil treatments on occassion (coconut oil) and I never clarify. Never.

And my hair is better than ever! So I say it is possible for you to use cones and be sulfate free, but your hair has to be able to handle it. Obviously my hair can, as I don't have any build up issues.