PDA

View Full Version : Mean comment about hair

Kherome
March 11th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Overheard: "Long hair is for fat girls, they use it to try to draw attention away from their jello. They think if they have long hair people will think they are pretty and not notice their fat."

I'm not sure if this comment was directed at me or not, but I was the only really "long haired" person nearby, so maybe it was.

:( People are mean. And for the record, I am not fat.

didrash
March 11th, 2011, 05:25 PM
What an idiotic thing to say! Sounds like "the grapes are sour" to me!

RocketDog
March 11th, 2011, 05:25 PM
For the record, I *am* fat and I've never been asked if I'm growing my hair out to 'hide' my chubs. Not that hair would hide the awesomeness that is my 'economy size' badonkadonk anyhow! I am who I am, smooshy bits and frizzy hair and all, and in the famous words of many people here, I'm not around to decorate anyone's world... other than my own of course. And I decorate IT on a massive scale :rolleyes:

didrash
March 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM
We are not fat, there's just more of us than some other people, and that means more of a good thing :).

elbow chic
March 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
fat and pretty not being mutually exclusive, I'd pity them their ignorance.

Ravenne
March 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM
How horrid! Well they just loudly advertised what a bitter person they are. Lovely.

People have long hair... because they have long hair. The end. It has nothing to do with waist size. What a ridiculous comment. -.- I'm sorry you felt like it may have been directed at you. /hug

enfys
March 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Yup.

FWIW, I have had instances where my subject matter has crossed my path at the worst time. I try not to be mean but it can happen with just about any topic.

So can I only have long hair to cover fat, not just because I want it? Better get eating...

MeganE
March 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Overheard: "Long hair is for fat girls, they use it to try to draw attention away from their jello. They think if they have long hair people will think they are pretty and not notice their fat."

I'm not sure if this comment was directed at me or not, but I was the only really "long haired" person nearby, so maybe it was.

Ouch. How completely ridiculous. I hate overhearing comments that make me wonder if they were directed at me. :( She probably never took the time to learn about healthy hair care, had poor results with growing it out herself, and was seriously jealous of long haired beauties. Why else would someone go out of their way to be so rude?

bigeyedgirl829
March 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM
i dislike mean people! Sorry you had to be there to listen to them!

Firefox7275
March 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM
(((hugs))) Some people are nasty, thankfully many are not. Some will be jealous, others will catch your eye and smile. I cannot believe anyone who thinks that is acceptable to make prejudiced comments has a happy and fulfilled life - pity them. I bet there have been many, many more times someone has been complementary about YOUR crowning glory but you haven't overheard. :)

Fingolphin
March 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM
People can be so mean sometimes. Just look at some of the comments on YouTube. The video can be about the most innocent thing, and some idiot will come along and make some stupid or hugely inappropriate comment. Noticed that on some of the Japan tsunami videos.

Copasetic
March 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Body snarking is never cool.

And for the record, there is nothing wrong with being fat :)

vanillabones
March 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Wow.
Well for the record there is a girl in one of my classes with beautiful long virgin hair, probably hip length (but she puts it up in a big messy clip most of the time) and she's really realllly pretty. I stare at her hair from the back of the room! She is big, and I can honestly say I'm jealous of her!

I'm not saying that the girl making this comment was jealous, but just because someone wants to grow their hair long doesn't mean they're hiding something else to make them 'look pretty' as if it's distracting from something else. How about most people with long hair actually just ARE pretty :P

Kherome
March 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM
And for the record, there is nothing wrong with being fat :)

No, but I'm not fat anyway. I'm 6'1" and 180lbs.

Cirafly24
March 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM
People really can be so mean :(

For the record, I *am* fat and I've never been asked if I'm growing my hair out to 'hide' my chubs. Not that hair would hide the awesomeness that is my 'economy size' badonkadonk anyhow! I am who I am, smooshy bits and frizzy hair and all, and in the famous words of many people here, I'm not around to decorate anyone's world... other than my own of course. And I decorate IT on a massive scale :rolleyes:

I love everything in this post!! :crush:

I am overweight, and it has never occurred to me to grow my hair to "hide" anything.

perizade
March 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM
What a mean spirited comment that person made. I've heard similar comments like "she doesn't have anything else" feature-wise. :(

christine1989
March 11th, 2011, 07:17 PM
My cousin said this exact comment almost word for word a few weeks ago. It sounds like good ol' fashioned jealousy to me.

cantom03
March 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Hugs-Kherome, you and your hair are beautiful! I'm sorry someone made such an awful comment, about you or not.

Amraann
March 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Seriously a nasty thing to say.
I probably would have said something nasty right back.
Like "heavy people can lose weight but only a lobotomy can help someone as nasty as you"

CariadA
March 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM

I doubt they were talking about you, as you are not at all fat.
That being said, it is just a cruel thing to say. There is nothing wrong with people who are larger, but I really don't think most people grow out their hair just because they are large.

I am so sorry you had to overhear such ignorant bs.

UltraBella
March 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Okay, to be 100% honest........... I think the "oomph" of my hair does make my butt look smaller ;) I have a biggish butt, I am not hiding the fact that I am chubby, but my hair sure does distract from it !
And to be 100% honest again..... I think for a chubby gal who is the mother of a 15 year old, I've got it going on ! ! ! I am not ashamed of my jiggle.

Lianna
March 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM
It could be worse, they could say fat girls have nice long hair because they're fat (somehow being fat gives you super hair powers).

:grouphug:

As a chubby girl myself, I agree with the distracting factor, though. Longer hair gives more to look at than just my chubs, so people aren't staring at them all the time. It helps specially with double chins after APL. :D Can't wait to get there!

islandboo
March 11th, 2011, 07:56 PM
It could be worse, they could say fat girls have nice long hair because they're fat (somehow being fat gives you super hair powers).

LOL - how I wish this were true! Super powered hair growth would be nice :)

I am fat and I think it makes my hair look scrawnier than if I were thinner but c'est la vie. I am also plain featured, but I figure my weight and looks serve as a very effective screening process to weed out the shallow folk who can't get past it to see how awesome I am :p

(Edit: I am unable to see the term "super hair powers" without thinking of GRU)

selderon
March 11th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I'd rather be unconventionally beautiful than conventionally attractive outside and ugly on the inside.

islandboo
March 11th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'd rather be unconventionally beautiful than conventionally attractive outside and ugly on the inside.

Does anybody else remember "She ain't pretty (she just looks that way)" by the Northern Pikes? I love that line!

BunnyBee
March 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Fat or skinny, you have better hair then them. Get it into a braid and whip 'em!

spidermom
March 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Ridiculous! My bun/braids cover up absolutely no chub.

veganstein
March 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
And SOME short haired people use their mean spirited remarks to cover up their stupidity.

Tia2010
March 11th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Well she was rude wasn't she !! :p

I hate when people try to slide by an insult. Either have the backbone to say it or don't. Don't try to insult me by letting me accidently overhear you thats just childish ! :rolleyes:

HintOfMint
March 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
How horribly obnoxious!

It's amazing what bullhockey people resort to in order to feel superior to others. Schmucks, the lot of them.

ScarlettAdelle
March 11th, 2011, 10:03 PM

I choked on my tea when I read this...

All I have to say is "All my economy size sistahs gimme an economy sized 'WHAT-WHAT!!!'???"

ScarlettAdelle
March 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM

I wish I'd been there next to you when they said that... I would've said "Wow... Sounds like someone's jealous of your boogie" loud enough for them to hear me.

It's amazing to me when people act like because you have an opinion that differs from theirs that you're somehow deaf or immune to negative comments. *sigh* What's wrong with people?

Wanderer09
March 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM
And SOME short haired people use their mean spirited remarks to cover up their stupidity.

Well said. ;)

Fufu
March 11th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Gosh what a horrible thing to say, totally cannot make it.

krissykins
March 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Yea, all those celebrities in Hollywood with extensions are fat. :rolleyes:

myrrhmaiden
March 11th, 2011, 11:07 PM
mean comments are for small people without self confidence

sycamoreboutiqu
March 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Rocketdog - That is some fabulous henna color, just love it !
What is your base shade - light brown , dark blonde ? The intensity is to die for.

walterSCAN
March 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
DH and I just had the same reaction to this: "Wow, what a b****y thing to say..."

And it does sound a lot like envy to me-- that or just plain ugliness of personality. >< I'm very sorry that some people are so emotionally under-developed that they feel comments like that are necessary.

Big hugs to you, and you are correct: no, you are NOT fat. Let them be mean-spirited, ignorant, and eventually QUITE lonely and wondering why, and continue with your life!

Red_Wednesday
March 12th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Yea, all those celebrities in Hollywood with extensions are fat. :rolleyes:

This is exactly what I was going to say!! Sounds to me like long hair envy rearing its ugly head:pumpkin:

Robbi Dehlinger
March 12th, 2011, 01:24 AM
HOW RUDE!

Long hair, especially when well kept is a thing of beauty and wonder, WHATEVER your body size/ shape may be!

Dunno why people have to show their ignorance, especially in public!

jackiesjottings
March 12th, 2011, 03:50 AM
How mean :(( There are so many judgemental people about aren't there :((((

TiaKitty
March 12th, 2011, 03:59 AM
It couldn't have been directed at you! You're my weight and you're a full eight inches taller than I am... that makes me the chubs and you the warrior princess. Next time, you must slay them for all of your long-haired, chubby sisters, who will not tolerate such rudeness, but don't have the physicality that you do, which would allow us to hold them down and tickle them head to toe with a mass of hair, thus causing them to wet their panties in fear and laughter! This is unjust, and I call for revenge!!!

Okay, I better get to bed. This is the last post that I think I can make in a delirious sleep-deprived state. Run-on sentences calling for revenge are pure silliness.

Neneka
March 12th, 2011, 04:27 AM
You are not fat. :)

I still have to say. One of the most attractive women I have ever seen was very big. She had hip lenght reddish blonde thick thick hair. That was also the most awesome hair I have ever seen (I saw once an Indian woman with a knee length shiny black braid. She has the second awesome hair I have ever seen).

marzipanthecat
March 12th, 2011, 04:35 AM
That's a nasty comment. One I haven't heard either. And anyway, you are not fat.

(I really am obese - no kidding, and I know I need to lose it - but that's still not a comment I've heard.)

Possibly I have not heard it because it would be such a racially charged comment here - ladies with long hair tend to be Muslim/Sikh/Hindu (not everyone with long hair, obviously, but a significant number!), and down where I am living now it is again associated with a specific religion (Plymouth Bretheren), so it's almost like saying something against those religions.

But it's still a daft thing to say, no matter what. Hmmm, talk about broad generalisations!

SwordWomanRiona
March 12th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Agreeing with all the posts here.
Some people are SO cruel, insensitive and rude!! :mad: Apparently, they have nothing better to do than hurting other people with their mean comments. As if they were 100% perfect, too!
Big hugs to you. They can't possibly have directed that comment at you, you are absolutely not fat! But even if you were, they have NO business insulting anyone else in such cruel manner! To hell with their stupid notion that 'fat people are necessarily ugly'!

RitaCeleste
March 12th, 2011, 06:12 AM
All some people have going for them is being thin. You can be pretty and fat. Obviously you can also be thin and ugly, inside and out. I wore my hair long when I was 235 pounds, I wear it long at 155 pounds too. I decided to loose weight when my youngest child was going to school and it took me years to do it. Its better to remain nice and sane and plump than go out and find an eating disorder! I struggled against that. People who make comments like that have me wondering how much of their health they are sacrificing just to hit a certain number on the scale. Maybe they are jealous of every bite of good food we get to eat that they refuse? I got jealous of my sister's plate when I was dieting and she wasn't sometimes. She cut her hair because she wanted more volume. Our weight doesn't have a thing to do with how we wear our hair. But I guess if your hair is shedding from improper nutrition, a chubby girl with gorgeous hair would make you go green with envy! lol

Othala
March 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM
As a long-haired fatty, I say there is more of me to love both in flesh and hair!

Nae
March 12th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I think that comment is complete balderdash but I am not suprised that you overheard it. (Probably not directed at you though.) I have learned a lot from a co-worker of mine, she is morbidly obese and really struggles with her weight. She says that she overhears nasty comments daily, she told me once that the average is over 5 a day.

Sometimes she comes into work in tears, just from the comments she gets from the customers while walking from the back to the front of our super large place of employment. And at least she is walking!!!! She could go on disability and just live at home but she wants to be up and working and moving around. I applaud her for that.

It just seems that the overweight in our society are the last "safe" group to insullt in public. Open season on the overweight and it is so sad. I have seen the abuse that my friend has to deal with on a daily basis and I would never want to live with that kind of treatment.

Xandergrammy
March 12th, 2011, 06:48 AM

What elbow chic said.

RitaPG
March 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM
People are cruel sometimes, and I'm sure whoever said that wasn't thinking. That seems the type of thing someone says when jealousy is involved. And I'm not saying this to be nice, I know it because I did the same when I was a teen. Many of us probably did this at least once, we try to make someone's fault bigger than their qualities because we wish we had them too. Jealousy and judgement are very often together, unfortunately.
I'm sure the person who mentioned that just meant to say "I love long hair and wish I could do it too"

Don't worry too much about it. Truth is, you have fabulous hair :)
And you are definitely NOT fat.

RitaPG
March 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM
As a long-haired fatty, I say there is more of me to love both in flesh and hair!

Well said! :D

Fethenwen
March 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM
So, overweight people are not allowed to have long hair? :ponder:

What jerks these days.

Rennire
March 12th, 2011, 07:30 AM
When I first started growing my hair out someone told me that I couldn't have long hair because I wasn't fat enough. He said that only fat people could have really long hair because they got extra nutrients from the extra food that they ate. He said it was science. Seriously, why do some people think that they know everything when they are actually really not that bright?

(p.s. I don't think "fat" is a bad thing)

Firefox7275
March 12th, 2011, 07:59 AM
When I first started growing my hair out someone told me that I couldn't have long hair because I wasn't fat enough. He said that only fat people could have really long hair because they got extra nutrients from the extra food that they ate. He said it was science. Seriously, why do some people think that they know everything when they are actually really not that bright?

(p.s. I don't think "fat" is a bad thing)

Wow with that level of intellect and logic he should have been a consultant doctor or chief of police. He could have fifteen people cured or convicted by 9.05 Monday morning. :rolleyes:

spitfire511
March 12th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Okay - I know it's already been said 50 times on this thread, but that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Agreed that they're just jealous :D

Of the Fae
March 12th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I know lots of big girls that are very very beautiful. I do think long hair looks better than short hair on fat people, because it just accentuates the face better :) Especially if the hair is also big and wavy. It's just gorgeous.
If people are that mean it's probably because they feel uncertain of their self and are trying to hide it. But it is a sad way to do it.

Kherome
March 12th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I still don't know if it was directed at me or not, but none the less I was still irritated. I'm just so tired of mean people.

selderon
March 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
<snip> someone told me that I couldn't have long hair because I wasn't fat enough. He said that only fat people could have really long hair because they got extra nutrients from the extra food that they ate. He said it was science. </snip>
ROFL!
Apparently, scientists on his planet take a tiny part of the big picture and ignore the rest.

3azza
March 12th, 2011, 10:19 AM
:D yes you're right.

skaempfer
March 12th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Oh, man.
Do we need another person to say that's rubbish?
Yes!:cheese:
Let's tip that scale back in reality's favor!

Gorgeous hair is gorgeous hair, and some small people are so small minded that they need people to step on to feel bigger. They would be soooooooo happy if others would fall for their evil plots and hack off their hair (or not buy themselves nice clothes, or always look at the floor, or stay home 'where they belong'- fill in the blank!); in the walnut-brained opinion of these individuals, they would then have less competition. It's hard to pity their obvious insecurity when it manifests itself so cruelly, but we LHCers are a friendly bunch so we try veeeeeeeeeeery hard.

Hip hip hurrah for gorgeous hair and bodacious badonkadonks! (am I spelling that right?)
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

xoxophelia
March 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
No, but I'm not fat anyway. I'm 6'1" and 180lbs.

Fat is also a relative term depending on who you ask. While this person MAY have been directing the comment at you, they could be under the impression that a woman who isn't thin/slender/on the lower end of average BMI is fat.

By said standards I am also fat ^^'
And growing my hair to hide my butt that I get compliments on.. waiiit......

Tressie
March 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hurrah!! Woo-hoo!! I love your attitude! Sorry for the hi-jack! But, we don't have to let someone else's narrow-minded, mean-spirited opinion define us, do we?? Life is too short! (o:

pepperminttea
March 12th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Agreed. It's their loss.

MeganE
March 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
LOL - how I wish this were true! Super powered hair growth would be nice :)

I am fat and I think it makes my hair look scrawnier than if I were thinner but c'est la vie. I am also plain featured, but I figure my weight and looks serve as a very effective screening process to weed out the shallow folk who can't get past it to see how awesome I am :p

(Edit: I am unable to see the term "super hair powers" without thinking of GRU)

I love your mentality on this!! I'm totally borrowing it from here on out, btw.

Everyone on here has the most amazing confidence. Mine has taken blow after blow, and I think hanging out on here will help. :)

selderon
March 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't say we ALL have great confidence. If you look at the "describe your hair in six words" thread, you'll see a mixture of positive and negative self-talk. Practice the positive! ;)

silverstars
March 13th, 2011, 07:27 PM
That's beyond rude to say its just a distraction. The nerve of some people. Long hair is something you can be proud of.

Robbi Dehlinger
March 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
It also makes you unique because you do not consider it a bother to take care of, and even if you do, you still love it:)

Red_Rose
March 14th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Long hair is for fat girls? This is new to me. Most of the people I see with long hair is the model thin girls that strut around wearing practically nothing.

Did this comment come from a woman? If it did, did she have short hair? If you had answered yes to these then maybe she was just jealous at the fact that your hair is long and beautiful. A lot of women simply cannot grow their hair long.

selderon
March 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Good point, Rose. Victoria's Secret models usually have long hair.

Photokissa
March 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
They say that like someone actually cares what they think. :rolleyes:

Toad Squalor
March 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I think that comment is complete balderdash but I am not suprised that you overheard it. (Probably not directed at you though.) I have learned a lot from a co-worker of mine, she is morbidly obese and really struggles with her weight. She says that she overhears nasty comments daily, she told me once that the average is over 5 a day.

Sometimes she comes into work in tears, just from the comments she gets from the customers while walking from the back to the front of our super large place of employment. And at least she is walking!!!! She could go on disability and just live at home but she wants to be up and working and moving around. I applaud her for that.

It just seems that the overweight in our society are the last "safe" group to insullt in public. Open season on the overweight and it is so sad. I have seen the abuse that my friend has to deal with on a daily basis and I would never want to live with that kind of treatment.
That's just awful, and I've seen people do that before to folks. There's a cultural "weight limit" past which most people will engage in at least thinking "wow, they're HUGE!" without thinking about whether judgment of that type is appropriate. I get the "what a freak!" look on occasion for a variety of reasons: I'm 5'10"-ish, built like a Scandinavian Milkmaid*, fathletic**, and I dress myself in a wide variety of colors, shapes and patterns regardless of what's in season. Some people just try to shame others because they're different, and that's sad. Can't we accept that variety is good for society?

*The kind who can pick the cow up and carry them around on their shoulder-- tall, wide shoulders and torso, hourglass figure, and naturally muscular
**Why yes, I did just make a portmanteau out of "fat" and "athletic"

Fat is also a relative term depending on who you ask. While this person MAY have been directing the comment at you, they could be under the impression that a woman who isn't thin/slender/on the lower end of average BMI is fat.

By said standards I am also fat ^^'
And growing my hair to hide my butt that I get compliments on.. waiiit......
I'm on the "just barely obese" end of the BMI, and weigh more than I should, but I'm fit, energetic and able to Get Things Done. Women seem to care a [I]lot more about what other women look like than men do. Maybe we should eat some cheese and ignore those women who want to shame us into looking just like them. :cheese:

Slinks
March 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM

Wow .. what a mean thing to say !! my jaw just dropped when I saw that ..

Igor
March 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
It amuses me when people who make mean and judgmental comments about other peoples appearance cannot handle the same treatment. What comes around, goes around. Never forget that.

adiapalic
March 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I'm a woman of exceptional proportions. I have classic length hair. 95&#37; of the time I wear it in a bun. Not much coverage there, eh? :o

As an individual in the process of reducing my zaftig greatness to a smaller end of that spectrum (a healthier range of curvy/chubby), when I'm there I'll still have no intentions of cutting my hair. So yeah. Maybe I just like long hair? :laugh:

:flower:

CurlyCyndi
March 14th, 2011, 07:08 PM
OMG WHAT *******S> You dontl look fat. and I have not seen many big people with long hair so I dont get that... at all.

fairystar32
March 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I agree :(

How mean :(( There are so many judgemental people about aren't there :((((

Firefox7275
March 14th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I'm on the "just barely obese" end of the BMI, and weigh more than I should, but I'm fit, energetic and able to Get Things Done. Women seem to care a lot more about what other women look like than men do. Maybe we should eat some cheese and ignore those women who want to shame us into looking just like them. :cheese:

I have a vision of LHC'ers with glossy flowing tresses, offering miserable stick bi-atch morsels of the ripest Camembert. I think you may have hit on the perfect advertising campaign; what is sexier than a beautiful woman who appreciates good food? :cheese:

KiwiLiz
March 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Long hair is for fat women? Have they opened up a copy of vogue recently? Seen the Victoria's Secret run way show?

Well maintained long hair is beautiful. end of story.

Envy, now THAT is ugly.

I have a vision of LHC'ers with glossy flowing tresses, offering miserable stick bi-atch morsels of the ripest Camembert. I think you may have hit on the perfect advertising campaign; what is sexier than a beautiful woman who appreciates good food? :cheese:

Um, is this a reference to thin women? Body snarking is not ok in reference to any type of body, it just perpetuates the problem.

LovingLongHair
March 14th, 2011, 08:34 PM
KiwiLiz: Amen! That is seriously the most truthful thing I have seen in a while!

Long hair is beautiful on any size! Whether you are little or plus size! I am personally plus size, so I personally find comments like the one you had to hear offensive! But never fear, you are so much better than those who stoop to such rude comments as that!

selderon
March 14th, 2011, 08:35 PM
*The kind who can pick the cow up and carry them around on their shoulder-- tall, wide shoulders and torso, hourglass figure, and naturally muscular
**Why yes, I did just make a portmanteau out of "fat" and "athletic"

LOL Toad, I might have to marry you for your sense of humor. :D

I have a vision of LHC'ers with glossy flowing tresses, offering miserable stick bi-atch morsels of the ripest Camembert. I think you may have hit on the perfect advertising campaign; what is sexier than a beautiful woman who appreciates good food?

Bwahahahaa! I love it. Your evility is perfectly developed. Join me and we will smite cruel stick people with The Cheese of Beauty and the Truffles of Pulchritude!

selderon
March 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Um, is this a reference to thin women? Body snarking is not ok in reference to any type of body, it just perpetuates the problem.

Naw, it's a reference to that particular skinny and cruel person. Seems like she'd be a bit kinder toward curvier women if she experienced curviness for herself. Once you've experienced what it's like to be [insert whatever people snark about], you don't see it the same way anymore.

KiwiLiz
March 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Naw, it's a reference to that particular skinny and cruel person. Seems like she'd be a bit kinder toward curvier women if she experienced curviness for herself. Once you've experienced what it's like to be [insert whatever people snark about], you don't see it the same way anymore.

Whether it's in reference to an individual, or to an entire group, I don't understand how it is helpful? The idea of "she called me fat so I'm going to call her a stick bitch so she knows how it feels" just doesn't seem to do any thing for any one, except lead to more and more snarkiness.

Earelia
March 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Sounds like someone is jealous of all the long luxuriousness on your head. :)

Darkhorse1
March 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM
People that ignorant will never amount to much in life, or even worse, be happy. So many people focus on 'fat' or people who are thicker in build--what about all those skinny people who smoke? Anyone bugging them about their health risks?

Didn't think so ;)

spidermom
March 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I wonder though, Kherome - since you say that you are not fat, what makes you so sure they were talking about you? (ideally they shouldn't be talking about anybody else like that, of course)

Red_Rose
March 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Bwahahahaa! I love it. Your evility is perfectly developed. Join me and we will smite cruel stick people with The Cheese of Beauty and the Truffles of Pulchritude!

Umm... I'm kind of wondering myself if you really are directing this to all thin women because if you look at the first quote, you did not specify just one person. You directed it towards ALL thin women. Not only that but, no offense, you seem to be quite ignorant as to what real curves are. Thin women can be very curvy because it's not the amount of fat you have that's on your body that makes you curvy but what your genetics has given you and lets face it, people cannot gain an hourglass figure simply by putting on weight. If you are more of a ruler shape and you want that hourglass figure, no matter how much weight you put on, it's just not going to happen because of your genetics.

Marilyn Monroe and Sofia Loren are good examples of this. If they were to whither away down to a very low weight, they would still look curvy because they have very wide hips and a small waist. Those, in my opinion are real curves because no matter how much they weigh, they will always be curvy.

The reason I brought this up is because while I may not be as thin as the women on TV and in magazines, I am slim AND curvy with a lot of muscle tone and if I had a dollar for every time an overweight woman spat out a nasty remark towards me when I have done absolutely nothing to them, I would be richer then Bill Gates yet if I were to do this back to them, they would want me hung for it.

If it's wrong for thin women to put down overweight women then it is equally wrong for overweight women to do the same to thin women.

Red_Rose
March 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Whether it's in reference to an individual, or to an entire group, I don't understand how it is helpful? The idea of "she called me fat so I'm going to call her a stick bitch so she knows how it feels" just doesn't seem to do any thing for any one, except lead to more and more snarkiness.

Agreed! By turning around and throwing the same attitude back at the person who made the first remark is just showing people that you are willing to stoop as low as them by acting the same way and that is never a good thing.

I've been picked on a lot in my life and I never once resorted to behaving the way the tormentors did because if I did that, I would be no better then them.

Neneka
March 15th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I still don't know if it was directed at me or not, but none the less I was still irritated. I'm just so tired of mean people.

I hope that I don't sound like too creepy but I visited your photo album and I think you have awesome hourglass shaped body and your hair is also awesome... If that comment was meant to you that person must have bad eyesight or something...

Kherome
March 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I wonder though, Kherome - since you say that you are not fat, what makes you so sure they were talking about you? (ideally they shouldn't be talking about anybody else like that, of course)

Well, as I mentioned previously, I didn't see anyone else with "long" hair in the vicinity, so I assumed she was snarking at me. I chose not to reply or acknowledge it though so I'll never know for sure I guess.

Kherome
March 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I hope that I don't sound like too creepy but I visited your photo album and I think you have awesome hourglass shaped body and your hair is also awesome... If that comment was meant to you that person must have bad eyesight or something...

Thanks. I guess some might think I am fat because I am not a size 2, but I am, IMO, not fat, nor does my doctor find me overweight.:shrug:

Twarg
March 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
So can I only have long hair to cover fat, not just because I want it? Better get eating...

Haha love it.

Toad Squalor
March 15th, 2011, 04:21 PM
LOL Toad, I might have to marry you for your sense of humor. :D
I'm glad someone appreciated my footnotes. :cheese:

The lady in the OP who'd made the nasty remark probably forgot a little bit about what kindness means and how it's relevant to everyone's life. Nobody's perfect, but she may not be trying.

walterSCAN
March 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM
*snip* I am slim AND curvy with a lot of muscle tone and if I had a dollar for every time an overweight woman spat out a nasty remark towards me when I have done absolutely nothing to them, I would be richer then Bill Gates yet if I were to do this back to them, they would want me hung for it.

If it's wrong for thin women to put down overweight women then it is equally wrong for overweight women to do the same to thin women.

Same here. :( It's not always so much a nasty remark, sometimes they're just angry with me for not being shaped like they are... as if I am somehow 'stealing the thinness' or making them larger somehow by being the shape genetics gave me. Then there are the larger/ heavier women who are convinced that clearly I am starving myself/ hound me about eating/ essentially demand that I stuff myself so that (it seems, who knows what the real reasoning is) they can feel better. It really makes me upset, not a little because most of the women who have done this to me are the same ones who constantly spout the, "your body is beautiful the way it is/ everyone is beautiful and/or worthwhile no matter how heavy they are/ love your body no matter what" message constantly. From them, it is essentially saying to me, "Everyone is beautiful and worthwhile, except you, because you are thin. You should not love your body, you should change it."

...And obviously it's not every heavier woman who reacts like this to me, but it happens with a rather upsetting frequency. I think it's hurtful and unnecessary from whichever side you're on and I really wish that people could learn to keep some opinions to themselves. (I, for one, do not need ANY more negative messages about myself -- about my body or otherwise-- hanging around to be internalized.)

...just realized how off-topic I got there... Sorry! :o

SwordWomanRiona
March 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Same here. :( It's not always so much a nasty remark, sometimes they're just angry with me for not being shaped like they are... as if I am somehow 'stealing the thinness' or making them larger somehow by being the shape genetics gave me. Then there are the larger/ heavier women who are convinced that clearly I am starving myself/ hound me about eating/ essentially demand that I stuff myself so that (it seems, who knows what the real reasoning is) they can feel better. It really makes me upset, not a little because most of the women who have done this to me are the same ones who constantly spout the, "your body is beautiful the way it is/ everyone is beautiful and/or worthwhile no matter how heavy they are/ love your body no matter what" message constantly. From them, it is essentially saying to me, "Everyone is beautiful and worthwhile, except you, because you are thin. You should not love your body, you should change it."

...And obviously it's not every heavier woman who reacts like this to me, but it happens with a rather upsetting frequency. I think it's hurtful and unnecessary from whichever side you're on and I really wish that people could learn to keep some opinions to themselves. (I, for one, do not need ANY more negative messages about myself -- about my body or otherwise-- hanging around to be internalized.)

...just realized how off-topic I got there... Sorry! :o

I agree with you and Red_Rose. The same happens to me -Dunno why, but many people seem to be against a healthy slender body :(. I'm not thin (I mean, in a negative way), I'm slender with rather wide hips and a thin waist. I find that actually beautiful, but many people, some of them practically strangers, comment on 'how thin I am', some clearly spitefully, others unintentionally - in that horrible conventional way - as if it were an unhealthy and unlovely thing.
It's the same thing as insulting people saying they're 'fat'. It's mean and insensitive. Sorry for the rant.

Becky9679
March 16th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I'm another slim person who gets told I'm too thin on occasion - I'm 5'7 and weigh about 135 pounds. I've always had a fairly low BMI, my parents were actually asked a few times by my school what I was eating at home because they didn't think they were feeding me enough. Bizarrely they also told them that my brother whose BMI was slightly higher than it should have been must be getting fed too much... we were always few the same :confused:

These days I exercise a lot and generally eat rather healthily by choice because I genuinely enjoy a lot of healthy food just as much as so called 'bad' food. Several times I've had people say to me that the amount of exercise I do can't be good for me and that I can't be eating enough - trust me I have a rather large appetite and when I was training for my marathon I ate like a horse!

In the end you can't please all the people all the time. There seems to be a myth in society about some ideal with regard to what you weigh, what you wear, (how long your hair is :D) but this is rubbish, everyone has different likes and dislikes and we should celebrate this diversity and not be small minded and make horrible comments about ANYONE!

Red_Rose
March 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM
walterSCAN, SwordWomanRiona and Becky9679. I agree with all of you.:agree: It just so confusing not to mention frustrating that some people are like this.

It really makes me upset, not a little because most of the women who have done this to me are the same ones who constantly spout the, "your body is beautiful the way it is/ everyone is beautiful and/or worthwhile no matter how heavy they are/ love your body no matter what" message constantly. From them, it is essentially saying to me, "Everyone is beautiful and worthwhile, except you, because you are thin. You should not love your body, you should change it."

I immediately related to this because I too have noticed that as well and it makes you shake your head because why do some people think that you can only feel good about yourself if you have a certain amount of weight on you?

The thing that I've come to realize is that many of the women who do say things like this yet turn around and put down others who are different from themselves are still very insecure about themselves who are most likely... dare I say... a bit jealous or envious of those they are putting down. I know that may seem harsh to say but I've seen it all too often because when people are truly happy with themselves and how they look, they are able to accept others who are different. They do not put them down just to boost their own egos.

I'm another slim person who gets told I'm too thin on occasion - I'm 5'7 and weigh about 135 pounds. I've always had a fairly low BMI, my parents were actually asked a few times by my school what I was eating at home because they didn't think they were feeding me enough...

... Several times I've had people say to me that the amount of exercise I do can't be good for me and that I can't be eating enough - trust me I have a rather large appetite and when I was training for my marathon I ate like a horse!

... everyone has different likes and dislikes and we should celebrate this diversity and not be small minded and make horrible comments about ANYONE!

While my parents were never asked by my school if I was eating enough, some of the kids in my home ec. class thought I was anorexic all because I didn't want to eat the pizza that was made in class. I never liked pizza at the time and I don't eat things that I don't like and because of that, I was labeled as anorexic. Huh? I still don't understand that one.:confused:

I think a lot of people automatically think that if you are thin or slender that you eat very little when that is far from true. Becky and I are good examples of that. I don't exercise as much as Becky does(although I probably should!) but I can eat a fair amount of food and my Dad has often said "How can she eat that much and not put on weight?!". I do eat sweets in moderation and I also try not to go overboard with my eating... which is something I could easily do yet because of my size, people think that I'm starving myself when if they actually saw how much I could eat, I probably would get a lot of resentment from them.

I loved what you said about how we should love diversity because it's so true. In this society, you have to be one or the other. You have to be very thin or overweight/obese in order to be accepted when there is so many people that fall in the "in between" category that get left in the dust. We should be accepting all shapes and sizes instead of favoring one or the other.:)

Signe
March 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM

Well what a total knob!
"Insults are for boring arsewipes, they use it to draw attention away from their awful banter. They think if they put others down people will think they are higher-up and not notice their rubbish chat.";)

Don't let the haters get you down! That person is clearly a bit slow anyway, cos unless you are trying to cover up some sort of strange skull-fat, hair won't do a thing to mask jello! How on earth could hair-length and body-circumference have anything to do with each other?:confused:

punkcatknitter
March 16th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Sadly, we all live in a society where it is considered socially acceptable and 'normal' to critique everyone else's body as well as our own. Not to mention the fact that a large percentage consider it all right to be prejudiced against so called fat people, because after all, we're barely human. (sorry, i'm still bitter over something a television weight loss guru was caught saying)

No one had better ever say anything like that around me because one of these days I'm gonna snap. And it's gonna be fun.

KiwiLiz
March 16th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Sadly, we all live in a society where it is considered socially acceptable and 'normal' to critique everyone else's body as well as our own. Not to mention the fact that a large percentage consider it all right to be prejudiced against so called fat people, because after all, we're barely human. (sorry, i'm still bitter over something a television weight loss guru was caught saying).

It's sad but it's so true. People act like gaining weight, or being overweight it the WORST thing that could ever happen to you.

Just the other day at the super market my friend asked me if she should get regular coke or sugar free -she said the regular stuff will make her fat, then I said the sweeteners in the sugar free will give you cancer (I have no idea of that's actually true, it was just something I blurted out) and she said, in all seriousness "I'd rather get cancer than get fat."

Really!?

walterSCAN
March 17th, 2011, 01:36 AM
It's sad but it's so true. People act like gaining weight, or being overweight it the WORST thing that could ever happen to you.

Just the other day at the super market my friend asked me if she should get regular coke or sugar free -she said the regular stuff will make her fat, then I said the sweeteners in the sugar free will give you cancer (I have no idea of that's actually true, it was just something I blurted out) and she said, in all seriousness "I'd rather get cancer than get fat."

Really!?

WTH?!?! Really? Personally, I would much rather put on all kinds of weight than have a life-threatening illness...

:p...But there I go again, putting things that matter ahead of appearances. :rolleyes: