PDA

View Full Version : Wet and spritz hair everyday

Lianna
March 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I know some curlies/wurlies/wavies use the "spritz" with water and conditioner (and maybe oils/others) to "freshen up" the hair in the mornings. This is seen as something healthy for the hair.

However, just plain wetting the hair (everyday) in the shower, either WO or CO still gets some bad looks. What are your thoughts on this?

I'd like to point out I'm only referring to WO or CO, no shampoos/stripping agents involved.

jessie58
March 11th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Not sure what the question here is but I love using just water to rinse my head in between washes and did WO for about 3 months with no ill effects and my hair was never prettier. I also have gone the CO route and it was very nice on my hair. Many many people have effectively used both WO and CO for their hair care routine for great lengths of time without any issues.
Depending on the person, wetting the hair each day is not necessarily a bad thing, nor is using CO a bad thing. Some people's hair loves it, some people's hair hates it. Whatever works.

RocketDog
March 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have never seen a particular washing method frowned upon... perhaps I'm not reading the same threads?

I get my hair pretty damp before I put it up for the day, even if I don't shower. It's really the only way I can get a tidy-looking updo with my hair's texture. I don't use conditioner in my spray bottle, just plain-jane straight tap water. If I don't get it wet before it goes up, I get scalp cleavage and the last 6" just sticks out every which way no matter how I braid/twist it due to layering and good old frizz.

Copasetic
March 11th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I never really understood why some people think that wetting your hair every day is a bad. I once read that wet hair is weaker, so wetting it all the time leaves it weak quite often. I'm not sure how true that is. I wet my hair pretty much every day and haven't noticed any ill effects from it.

Lianna
March 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Not sure what the question here is

It's not really a "question", more like an open discussion. I'm not sure how to phrase it then. Do you (all of you) think is "fair" that spritzing is good while wetting is "bad"? Keeping in mind the key word is everyday.

I have never seen a particular washing method frowned upon...

Well, some kind of are ;) but that's not really the focus here. The focus is the frequency for wetting hair and how spritzing isn't really considered as wetting the hair (more like a styling thing?).

Kaeita
March 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I tend to rinse my hair daily (sometimes several times a day in summer), usually only skipping if the weather is really cool and my bed-head isn't too bad. If I don't rinse my hair at least each morning, I need to wash it more often.

CO is not the same as WO, and it can strip your hair of oils. If I've understood what I've read about CO properly, conditioner does contain cleansing agents (surfactants?), which is why it works so well to clean the hair.

I was just thinking, too, that even WO could be damaging, depending on the water. In the town where I live, they put a LOT of chlorine in the water, every time it rains, and plenty of other chemicals at other times. When I was using that water on a daily basis, it did "clean" my hair overly well, so I barely used any shampoo at all (just used it for the smell, really), and I did notice that the water affected my skin at the time. Clothes tended to fall apart and fade pretty quickly too. Now that I'm using rainwater for showering, I can see where the damage was done to my hair, and where it's growing out. It's almost as if I bleached it, it's a lighter shade, and much dryer than the the new hair. Knowing that now, I'm really reluctant to ever use a town-water shower again! If I had to, I'd make sure I had rainwater to use as a final rinse, and hope that the damage wasn't too severe. About the only times I'd need to use a town shower are after gym, if I ever get back to it, and after swimming, which is damaging enough on its own, hehe.

It's entirely possible that the main reason people don't want to wet their hair every day is because it takes too long to dry and/or gets too cold in winter, so it's purely a comfort thing. For me, I prefer having wet hair - it sits better, and it keeps my head cool in the heat.

Lianna
March 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM
CO is not the same as WO, and it can strip your hair of oils. If I've understood what I've read about CO properly, conditioner does contain cleansing agents (surfactants?), which is why it works so well to clean the hair.

You are right, WO is not the same as CO. Sometimes I did feel my hair stripped with WO, but CO is adding moisture/softness and cleaning excessive sebum. We might have to consider only CO and spritizing then, for comparative reasons (of course anyone can have an opinion on WO too).

Finoriel
March 12th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Do you (all of you) think is "fair" that spritzing is good while wetting is "bad"? Keeping in mind the key word is everyday.

Hmm generalizing it like that is a new thing for me, I don't view the discussions we had about this (or other topics) in that way.
Talking about pros and cons of a method is not a matter of judging a method as bad-in-eneral-for-everybody in my opinion.

Some people prefer to spritze/dampen their hair, because the positive effects of that method work well for their hair and they can live with the downsides of it.
Others prefer to wet their hair, because the positive effects of that method work well for their hair and they can live with the downsides of it.
The next ones do none of that daily.
And everything in between.

It's all about choosing what works for somebody. And we all agree that tastes vary, priorities are different and every head of hair is unique, so choosing a certain method over another one is pure pesonal preference.

Talking and learning about the potential risks of all kinds of methods is why we are on a hair care forum. To mention that something has risks/downsides doesn't mean that something is regarded as bad. It's more to point out the existing risks, so everybody can make an educated decision if it's worth it for them personally or if they want to seek for another method.

Even if the ones taking part in the thread already know about the downsides, there are many many new people on the board or guest readers who don't know about it yet and are glad it was mentioned. So it's even good to mention "well known risks" from time to time, just in case you know.
For us oldtimers this can feel a bit repetitive, like "beating the dead horse" about a method, but it really isn't. It's just passing on what we learned here ourselves, to the new folks on the forum. Everybody of us was new at one point of time and we were all glad for the gurus who discussed their knowledge with us noobs. And now it's our turn to pass on what we learned ... the circle of life hair-care so to say :laugh:

TiaKitty
March 12th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I spritz my bangs to get them to curl back nicely. Otherwise they are kind of ... frazzled and out of form from either bunning back or brushing.

I also spritz about the last 6 to 8 inches of my length, to get my spiral curls to define themselves instead of frizz up.

I think right now my spritzer has some apricot oil, water, patchouli and orange EO, and a small squirt of conditioner. I'm not sure. I just kind of make it up as I go along...

I CO about every other time I clean my hair.

I shampoo roots only and condition the length when I'm not just CO'ing or when my scalp feels really junky.

I hardly ever WO, even though my water is very soft spring water, straight from the source, with no additives. When I do, usually in the summer, outside, like a rinse off with the hose, or caught in a rain storm, or swimming in the creek, my hair feels strange to me afterward. I like the feeling that conditioner gives. I'm not sure that my hair is frankly *weaker* after a wetting, just not... lubricated, if that make sense?

I can't think of any particular method as bad... just as what works for who and why it works for them, because we're all different individuals, living in different environments.

Lianna
March 12th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Talking and learning about the potential risks of all kinds of methods is why we are on a hair care forum.

Maybe I wanted to learn downsides to spritzing, which I guess I don't know! :D

TiaKitty
March 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I can't think of any downside to spritzing... I love it!

Anywhere
March 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I think both are fine, its just that for me if I wet my hair every day thats 3-4 hours of waiting for it to dry, while spritzing dries fairly quickly with similar results.

jaine
March 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I think the only downside would be the drying time ... I don't believe that it would be damaging to my hair. I never get breakage from combing while wet.

Heat + wet every day would be very bad for my hair though ... I noticed during a professional blowout last year that my hair is very stretchy when it's both wet and hot. That was really freaked me out!

Othala
March 13th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I spray my hair with a 50:50 water:conditioner mix every morning and night when my hair is not oiled (I am currently in a non-oiling phase to give my scalp and skin a break).

I know that water, however it is applied to the hair will open the cuticle and that makes hair vulnerable. However, with my waves and coarse texture, I find wetting the hair daily to be beneficial.

I don't see any difference between full -on wetting and spritzing. it is all water landing on the hair shaft.

Mirsha
March 13th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I have this feeling that water on my hair outside of washing makes it incredibly greasy :shrug: I can't imagine spritzing my hair.

Any time my hair gets wet without washing it, it starts looking greasy and dull and generally blah so I avoid that~ and try to keep it as dry as is humanly possible in this country lol.

jojo
March 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I have a spray bottle which has a mixture of rosewater and AVG, i spray my hair with this daily to revive it! and i love it!

HintOfMint
March 13th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I don't know about going WO or CO everyday being referred to as "bad" as in damaging, but I always imagined the aversion to stem from the hairdrying process. Spritzing doesn't get the hair sopping wet the way a full wash does, and many people here don't blowdry so they're possibly looking at 4 hours of drying time per day which sounds like a pain in the you-know-where.

Othala
March 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have a spray bottle which has a mixture of rosewater and AVG, i spray my hair with this daily to revive it! and i love it!

Ooh, that sounds heavenly! I must try this in the summertime. Thanks.

Roseate
March 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I spritz my hair often, usually with some combination of rosewater, aloe, oil and sometimes glycerine (version of Kimberlily's defrizzing spray). I don't see a downside for me personally; it revives waves, smooths braids and is generally good news for my hair.

I wouldn't fully wet my hair every day because of my long drying time, and the fact that I have to handle my hair carefully after a wetting to preserve my wave pattern. My hair is coarse and I've never had a problem with it breaking while combed wet, so I don't worry about that. Daily WO or CO wouldn't be damaging for me, just too much trouble.

furnival
March 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I've been wondering about this too- I love to wet my hair every day but I'm not sure it's good for my fine hair that can feel a bit mushy. I heard the ominous- sounding term "hydral fatigue" on some thread or other- can anyone enlighten me?

Lianna
March 13th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I've been wondering about this too- I love to wet my hair every day but I'm not sure it's good for my fine hair that can feel a bit mushy. I heard the ominous- sounding term "hydral fatigue" on some thread or other- can anyone enlighten me?

I've had overmoisturized hair, but because I was oiling everyday (all day). Just washing everyday isn't a problem for me.

If your hair is too moisturized you can try a protein treatment or maybe just clarify.

Debra83
March 13th, 2011, 03:07 PM
How do you know if your hair is too moisturized? What are the symptoms?

GRU
March 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I've never heard of any kind of "wetting vs spritzing" war here on LHC. :confused:

EVERY method in haircare has its pluses and minuses, and every head of hair is unique. Some people can use shampoo with no bad effects. Some people can bleach their hair and not end up with damage (yeah, ericthegreat, I'm calling you out here! :lol:) -- most others can't. Some people can oil -- others can't. Some can CO -- others can't. Some can use silicones -- others can't.

We're all unique.

Lianna
March 13th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I've never heard of any kind of "wetting vs spritzing" war here on LHC. :confused:

EVERY method in haircare has its pluses and minuses, and every head of hair is unique. Some people can use shampoo with no bad effects. Some people can bleach their hair and not end up with damage (yeah, ericthegreat, I'm calling you out here! :lol:) -- most others can't. Some people can oil -- others can't. Some can CO -- others can't. Some can use silicones -- others can't.

We're all unique.

I understand. I just wanted to know more about the good and bad sides of both. I paired them together, because they are similar, I'm not hating on neither.