PDA

View Full Version : Hair Routines

-Cookiez-
March 10th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm very new again to the hair growing world and I'd like to get some of the basics under my belt and such so I can keep my hair soft and healthy.

I was wondering what you all do for your hair daily and such?

My routine:
Washing: - two or three times a week
Brushing/combing - daily of course. I use a wide toothed comb to detangle. If my hair is very greasy at the top I use a boar bristle brush to evenly spread the oils.
If my hair is very dry or anything alike I spray a bit of my favorite oil onto my hair.

That is basically it...

Any thoughts or suggestions on any ways to make it better in anyway?

Any tips are warmly welcome

tinywife
March 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hmm, I think you're off to a good start by using oil and only washing it a few times a week.
There's no real reason to change your routine unless you aren't completely satisfied with your hair's condition.
If that's the case, I would start by looking up alternate ways to wash. Here are some popular ones here:

Use only sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates dry your hair out bigtime.
Condition-wash-condition, in that order. Conditioning first keeps the shampoo from stripping your hair too much.
Some members avoid conditioners with any form of silicone, because it coats the hair and doesn't allow moisture in, causing your hair to dry out. Others love cones for the shine they give.
Use the Oil Shampoo method by adding a little coconut oil to your shampoo. Talk about some serious shine.
Use the CO (conditioner only) method to avoid any stripping shampoo at all.
If you're brave, you can try the Water Only method!

As far as combing goes, just be gentle. You may want to avoid plastic combs, as they have tiny sharp edges. Many members use horn, wood, or bone combs.

These are just ideas for you. Like I said, if you like how your hair is now, you don't have to worry about any of this. And some tips work better for some people than others, so just experiment and have fun!

-Cookiez-
March 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I will have to try some of them out :)

leandrahime
March 11th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Washing: every 3-4 days, CWC, detangle with seamless wide-toothed comb during first C. After washing, oiling while almost dry.
Sleep: Kept contained in a bun
Brushing: Daily, gently.
Oiling: Daily
Vitamins: Daily!

Aleria
March 11th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Washing: CO w/ dye mixed in 3 times a week
Combing: Only during showers while my hair is covered in conditioner. I sometimes fingercomb. This is because since I cut my hair, my waves disappeared and I have to coax them out.
Leave in after showers: Aloe vera gel. I don't even feel it once my hair dries, but it helps to smooth my waves down so I'm not a frizzy mess.

Copasetic
March 11th, 2011, 05:52 AM
If your hair looks fine, and you are happy with your routine, then there is no reason to change it!

Gabriel
March 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Welcome to LHC!

I agree with Copasetic, if you and your hair are happy with your routine, no need to change things up. If you're curious about other folks routine's, here's a thread for you to peek:

What's your routine? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=64255)

Moon Doggie
March 11th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I'm also new, I shower almost daily because I work out and I take several art classes. By the end of the day I'm sweat and covered in charcoal and paint.

So I condition only, twice a week I'll do water only, and once in a blue moon I will use salt-free shampoos.

I also hand comb it constantly, slightly massaging it. Get's the blood going I suppose, and also keeps me up to dated on whether I have a troubled patch of hair or scalp.