PDA

View Full Version : Do male LHC members oil their hair?And what do you use?

Mamakash
March 10th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I know the guys feel a bit left out of all the female based threads around here, so I'd like to direct a question to them(hopefully, it hasn't been asked before)! I got into a conversation with a male coworker(who, by the way, has has one amazing head of hair) about his inversion table, as he said he planned to go home that night and hang upside down. I asked him if it was helping his hair to grow (it's the kind of thing I would imagine members here might try, just to get see if it worked:D). The next day, we got back into the hair conversation and he told me he oiled his head/scalp with sesame oil and that probably helped him maintain his thick hair. Wow! I don't know if there's anyone else who oils their hair at my work place and I was excited to find this out(although, I'm not shocked . . . he's a vegetarian ex hippy who roasts his own coffee , meditates, and seems to do a lot of the things I do). But it got me thinking. I know many of the Indian oils women use, but I wasn't sure if guys used the same stuff. So, what do you use? Have you tried products that are marketed to women, or are there "male" versions of these traditional products? And have they helped grow longer hair or maintain the hair you have? I'm hoping to share some of this information with him, too. Thanks!

McFearless
March 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
he said he planned to go home that night and hang upside down. I asked him if it was helping his hair to grow (it's the kind of thing I would imagine members here might try, just to get see if it worked:D).

well thank god im not the only one:o

Anywhere
March 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM
This is just my intuition, but I doubt oil will be able to differentiate between a male and female scalp and hair, so they should work fine. :confused:

keepmyhair
March 10th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I lightly oil my hair after a wash with Parachute coconut oil. Sometimes I also use Sesame oil, but it really smells bad, so I usually avoid using it if I have to go out.

I would like to use the Sesame oil more often, if I can figure out how to get rid of the smell.

gthlvrmx
March 10th, 2011, 10:34 PM
im trying castor oil now, its good but really thick and sticky. I used the mayo with egg treatment before with olive oil, it was good i liked it but super greasy. :P I enjoy oiling but i usually never need that much or i start splitting from overapplying

Fingolphin
March 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I use both coconut oil and one called Africa's Best that is a blend of several oils. I alternate them usually, and I do it every night before bed.

Monkey962
March 10th, 2011, 11:04 PM
This is just my intuition, but I doubt oil will be able to differentiate between a male and female scalp and hair, so they should work fine. :confused:

That's kinda what I was thinking.

But anyway, yes I oil my hair, and I usually use Trader Joe's Vitamin E Oil. It's basically soybean and coconut oil with some vitamin E added. It has a nice, subtle scent to it. Otherwise I use Desert Essence Jojoba Oil. Desert Essence also makes little bottles of tea tree oil, though I've only used it a handful of times.

RadiantNeedle
March 11th, 2011, 02:26 AM

I think this thread might have as much to do about men doing something that could be seen as a 'female grooming habit'. Maybe? There's already plenty of stuff about hair products that are gender-biased. I have conditioner that goes on about 'what women deserve', but it's not packaged in an overly feminine manner, nor does it have a typically girly scent.
Or maybe I'm way off base!

Belisarius
March 11th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Yes, as a man I sometimes oil my hair. I usually use olive oil.

DavidN
March 11th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I guess I just stick to shampoo and conditioner in my hair care routine, and haven't used oil in mine.

Mamakash
March 11th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I think this thread might have as much to do about men doing something that could be seen as a 'female grooming habit'. Maybe?

If it's good for the girls, it's good for the guys . . . but I was wondering if products marketed for women would appeal to men. Vatika's marketed for women . . . and so is Parachute (from the ads I've seen). Would you use a product that was targeted for the female consumer if you had good results? Do guys use Vatika?

Razor
March 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM
If it's good for the girls, it's good for the guys . . . but I was wondering if products marketed for women would appeal to men. Vatika's marketed for women . . . and so is Parachute (from the ads I've seen). Would you use a product that was targeted for the female consumer if you had good results? Do guys use Vatika?

I don't see why not, but then I think it goes down to a personal preference type issue, But I would have no problem with that personally, - I actually just looked up that Vatika stuff, is it any good ? or is it gimmicky ?

Pierre
March 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I use jojoba, to which I add some essential oils.

getoffmyskittle
March 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM
It's just oil... it's not like it's scented with feminine perfumes or anything. :shrug: Why does it make a difference?

And Parachute is cooking oil, actually, not even specifically hair oil.

Every vacuum cleaner in existence is marketed to women, do you eschew clean rugs?

Fingolphin
March 11th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I don't care who a product is supposedly "marketed" to, it's just a product; if it works, it works, and I buy it.

Shield31
March 12th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I have a tub of coconut oil I keep and use for both occasional hair care and also for cooking. Once every 2 months or so I oil up and wrap up. Whether it helps my growth, I'm not sure. But I think I shed less for several days after using it. I've also tried EVOO and added a few drops of patchouli to my conditioner from time to time. Great fragrance I think :).

EdG
March 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I got into a conversation with a male coworker(who, by the way, has has one amazing head of hair) about his inversion table, as he said he planned to go home that night and hang upside down. I asked him if it was helping his hair to grow (it's the kind of thing I would imagine members here might try, just to get see if it worked:D).Hanging upside down helps when combing out tangles next to the scalp. I suppose that would qualify as a strange LHC ritual. :o

I know many of the Indian oils women use, but I wasn't sure if guys used the same stuff. So, what do you use? Have you tried products that are marketed to women, or are there "male" versions of these traditional products? And have they helped grow longer hair or maintain the hair you have? I'm hoping to share some of this information with him, too. Thanks!I don't use oils or conditioners because my hair tends to be oily.

Most shampoos seem to be gender-neutral. I haven't had bad experiences with shampoos, but I avoid buying the ones that make one smell like a flower garden. ;)
Ed

dmitri
March 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I don't oil my hair as much as I used to (lately I've had enough trouble keeping my natural oils at bay!) but when I do oil, I tend to use jojoba or olive. I use jojoba in my beard somewhat often. If I want to go deep with my head hair, I use coconut.

As for essential oils, sometimes when I do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse, I add a drop of rosemary. I haven't done one of those in months... I really want to, but my ear piercings are still kinda fresh (a little over 3 weeks old) and I don't think getting vinegar on them would be wise. :(

Shampoos and conditioners... I use the stuff that's marketed for women. There isn't really a choice... most of the "men's" stuff is 2-in-one. Basically if it fits my needs and I like the scent, I use it.

pepperminttea
March 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Admittedly, I'm struggling to see how oils could work better or worse because of the user's gender. I can see why some men would want to avoid monoi oil though, since it smells incredibly sweet, but unblended oils don't have a particularly gender-centric scent do they? :hmm:

Would you use a product that was targeted for the female consumer if you had good results?

A little vice versa; I'm female but I definitely use products advertised towards men from time to time. I used to use a men's deodorant (it was unscented), and most of my shoes are designed for men because shoe companies don't seem to have realised there are some women with large, wide-ish feet, and we're expected to wear shoes at work too. :p A female friend of mine wears mostly men's clothing, and swears it lasts longer than clothes designed for women.

Mamakash
March 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Admittedly, I'm struggling to see how oils could work better or worse because of the user's gender. I can see why some men would want to avoid monoi oil though, since it smells incredibly sweet, but unblended oils don't have a particularly gender-centric scent do they? :hmm:

I figured Parachute oil doesn't smell like anything but smoky coconut, but Vatika's more scented. Would this be a deterrent to trying it out? Maybe. I haven't seen any commercials on YouTube that show guys using these products . . . or maybe I haven't looked hard enough.:confused: Of course, I understand that gender has nothing to do with how a product works . . . and sometimes Vatika's a little strong for me, too. I love scents that both men and women can wear . . . the only sandalwood powder I could find was Casswell and Massey . . . and that's packaged for men.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll pass them on to my co worker . . . and a small jar of Parachute, as well.

Fingolphin
March 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I tend to like scents that smell "natural" or "earthy," but not musky, like a lot of "mens'" scents are; I also like stuff that smells like fruit, especially citrus, but generally not scents that are flowery, at least not to wear, though I rather like some of them for other uses.

IanB
June 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I do soak in coconut oil overnight once a week - I use Vatika - seems to do some good