PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Phase

-Cookiez-
March 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM
My hair is at one of those "awkard fases" in my book, it is about a inchish below my shoulder and it is just awkard because I can't do short hair-dos well nor long dos. I always think about cutting it short again. Any help to get those this awkard fase of hair would be great .

jaine
March 10th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Don't cut! What updos have you tried?
I am at a similar length and the updos I do the most often are a peacock twist, and a French twist, or just mash it up with some claw clips for a messy bun. I can also do a Gibson tuck.

-Cookiez-
March 10th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I'll have to google those do's :)

also does any one have some tips on how to make growing out layers not look so spiky?

Mesmerise
March 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
When I had hair of that length I used to wear a ponytail mostly, or I'd twist it up and clip it in place. It worked pretty well at that length!! I used the sort of clip that you can see in my avatar, or a claw clip type thing. Takes about twenty seconds to do as well!

-Cookiez-
March 10th, 2011, 06:58 PM
haha yes, very easy.

I can do ponytails but I use to have a-line cut ( well the oppose anyway...it was short in the front, long in the back) so the front chunks fall out and it looks horrible.

jaine
March 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I think I have the same spiky-layer frustration. I guess it's fixable if I could find the perfect styling method, but I'm lazy and I usually end up just putting it up when the layers are bothering me, and rocking the wild look when they're not. I'm in search of the perfect bun that will look good when it's up AND look good when I take it down... that would be so dreamy! :) Zero effort ...

Here's a sock bun which is another updo that I like a lot at this length, and it's easy and very hair friendly.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5242812098_1bece3e16e_m.jpg

-Cookiez-
March 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM
that is so pretty :)
I have always loved buns ( specially after being a dancer for 12 years of my life)
I need to get work on learning all these new do's

RocketDog
March 10th, 2011, 09:23 PM
When my hair was at that stage I wore it in a folded-over ponytail 'bun' a lot, with those snappy metal barrettes or bobby pins to keep the strays in check. Don't cut, your hair will be long enough for more interesting updos in just a few months!

schweedie
March 11th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I love that length for pigtail braids! Might be more difficult if you have layers, but French or Dutch could still work.

JJetson
March 11th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Curl your hair into a 50's flip do.

Fufu
March 11th, 2011, 01:32 AM
After you pass this awkward phase, it will no be awkward anymore, bear with it for a while, we all been through this phrase before.

mrs_coffee
March 11th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Hide the scissors. I am at my most dreaded awkward phase right now (between chin and shoulder) and I hate it. This length looks terrible on me. I hate bob styles for my face shape, but it's layered so I really can't put it up yet. I had my girls hide the scissors from me because I am tempted to cut it every time I see myself in a mirror.

-Cookiez-
March 11th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys!

spitfire511
March 11th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I think I have the same spiky-layer frustration. I guess it's fixable if I could find the perfect styling method, but I'm lazy and I usually end up just putting it up when the layers are bothering me, and rocking the wild look when they're not. I'm in search of the perfect bun that will look good when it's up AND look good when I take it down... that would be so dreamy! :) Zero effort ...

Here's a sock bun which is another updo that I like a lot at this length, and it's easy and very hair friendly.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5242812098_1bece3e16e_m.jpg

Oh Jaine! Your sock bun looks so cute! :D

I agree with Jaine as well - sock buns, peacock twists, messy buns etc - most anything with a good claw clip is good at that length. Good luck to you OP!