PDA

View Full Version : Can I color it again?

RitaCeleste
March 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I've been coloring my hair for over 3 years. I tried to dye it from black cherry back to red by using a 30 developer with the red. That turned out bad and I had to strip it and then recolor it. It seemed damaged some from that mess. I tried the Aphogee 2-step and didn't get great results, I must not have dried it enough. I used the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and it seemed better. I've been oiling it about an hour before I deep condition it and wash it. It seems okay now. If I try to color it again, is it going to turn to elastic or break off? I've spent some money on products lately to try and fix my hair. That's something I just haven't done while I was growing it. With the 1 1/2 I trimmed off, I'm about 3 inches from having waist length hair. I don't want to fry it, but I do want to keep taking it from black/brown to red. I have grown my hair out to my waist natural before. I wasn't really impressed with the color and texture because its so coarse naturally. Yes, my hair feels better when its been colored usually. Weird but true. I bought a new brand of color that's suppose to be gentle but color is color. Is it possible for me to keep it long and red?

Dolly
March 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I would suggest doing a pre-oiling with coconut oil prior to dying it again.....

Check out this thread http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10495&highlight=peroxide

Pierre
March 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Welcome to LHC!

I know nothing about branded colors or developers, but I'll tell you what I know. My hair is maybe medium brown with some gray when it's uncolored (I don't know much about naming hair colors either, so take it with a grain of salt from Brittany;)). I've been using henna since before I joined LHC. Henna does not lighten, so my hair is a dark brownish red, but it shines bright red in the sun, and the grays sparkle red. Henna also strengthens it and keeps it from splitting. I love the way it feels.

RitaCeleste
March 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks! I have some Vatika coconut oil. I also went out and bought nexuss hair emergenee because it said it was a good pre chemical treatment for fragile hair. Between the two of them, I think I can do it because my hair doesn't seem too damaged yet. I'm waiting awhile between coloring it too.

Dolly
March 10th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks! I have some Vatika coconut oil. I also went out and bought nexuss hair emergenee because it said it was a good pre chemical treatment for fragile hair. Between the two of them, I think I can do it because my hair doesn't seem too damaged yet. I'm waiting awhile between coloring it too.

Also, depending on how porous your hair is, you may want to consider using a protein filler before coloring......it helps the color take better on damaged hair.......

RitaCeleste
March 10th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I think the nexus emergency is a protein reconstructor. Dolly, I saw on one of the other threads you'd tried Organic Creations conditioner for dry hair and special ordered some. I had ordered the extra rich one just as it was from the site but I'm kinda dieing of curiosity. I've tried KeraCare Humecto and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and liked them. Before that I was just using Suave ColorCare. Have you tried the regular formula and was it descent?

Dolly
March 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I think the nexus emergency is a protein reconstructor. Dolly, I saw on one of the other threads you'd tried Organic Creations conditioner for dry hair and special ordered some. I had ordered the extra rich one just as it was from the site but I'm kinda dieing of curiosity. I've tried KeraCare Humecto and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and liked them. Before that I was just using Suave ColorCare. Have you tried the regular formula and was it descent?

Yes, I did.....I bought their regular formula, not the one for dry hair.....when I ordered it, they only had one formula, as a matter of fact......I loved it for doing deep treatments.....I prefer coney conditioners for regular use, but the Organic Creations stuff was great.....more like a heavy lotion than a conditioner.

RitaCeleste
March 10th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks! It just shipped today. I've spent more on haircare last month than I have in a year. It looked good but I couldn't find many reviews of it. I just console myself with all the money I've saved on cuts plus doing my own color. lol

Dolly
March 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Just be careful with the chemical color.......In the fall of 2009, I had hip-length hair that I had been coloring bright red for about 6-7 years.....it was going fine, until I had ONE disastrous experience with some red L'oreal dye.....Over the next year, I gradually cut off over 8 inches of damaged hair......I am talking serious breakage......and my hair, which was already fine in texture, felt like cobwebs.

I made the decision that I could either have the intense color I wanted, or I could have long healthy hair......I chose my hair.....but, not wanting to embrace my grays just yet, I started using henna......I get intense flaming red in the sun now, but deep brown with a hint of red in most light. I am ok with that though......my hair feels better than it has in years, too!

RitaCeleste
March 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
My hair is so dark naturally, I don't think the red henna would show much on me. I have been considering it or demi-permanent deposit only colors. I'd happily keep it trimmed to the waist if I could keep it colored and that long. Maybe the henna would show more than I think because my hair does lighten up some over time.

Dolly
March 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM
My hair is so dark naturally, I don't think the red henna would show much on me. I have been considering it or demi-permanent deposit only colors. I'd happily keep it trimmed to the waist if I could keep it colored and that long. Maybe the henna would show more than I think because my hair does lighten up some over time.

Well, good luck with whatever you decide! Just try to minimize the damage as much as possible! Pre-dye coconut oiling helps! And, I would steer clear of L'Oreal dyes, if I were you......some people have excellent results with them, but then there are many many more who have had horror stories.

MeganE
March 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM

You can get henna in different colors too. My friend has dark hair and we used a bright red henna mixed equal parts with a dark brown henna, and the red in her hair was visible. Most obvious when it was in the sun, but she got all the benefits of henna use as well (thickening, shining, etc).

Depending on just how dark your hair is, if you got a bright red henna, I think it would show up. I don't think it would turn your hair bright red, but it would be visible. But there's other good posts about henna here, if you're thinking about using it, you should look them over. The most important point about henna is that once you've used henna on your hair, it's permanent and reacts poorly with other chemicals. Shermie Girl said it best:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=864230&highlight=don%27t+flirt+henna+marry#post864230

RitaCeleste
March 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah that's what is so scary about henna, its forever! But I've been red for the better part of three years. Henna is a big commitment though. Still I want waist length hair so I may end up using the henna. I could probably lighten the roots and then henna and still really reduce the damage I'm doing to it with 20% developers now and refreshing the red. Right now I am looking at my new haircare products to maintain this hair. There is AO Honeysuckle Rose ($10 with shipping), Vatika Coconut Oil, Meadowfoam oil, Aphogee 2 min reconstructor($6), Aphogee moisturizing oil sheen($6), and other crap I bought to try on my hair that didn't work for me. I am still kicking myself over all the maintenance and products. I bought a different brand of hair dye and if it damages my hair further, I've decided I'll henna instead.