View Full Version : S&D scissors

Adamia
March 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I am totally ignorant when it comes to trimming scissors. I know that if you trim your hair with dull scissors the ends will be crushed rather than cut, and the splits will return very quickly. I have used my sewing scissors the last few times because they are the sharpest scissors I own. But I am not sure they are sharp enough. Could anyone give me any tips on how sharp they should be, etc.

TIA

CurlyCyndi
March 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hi, I am kind od new here, but I think I would go look for scissor specially for cutting hair, and perhaps sharpen you sisters every few months or as often as you;d like to keep them sharp. I bought some hair scissors from Walmart for under $10. I am not sure if the ones you are using work for this but you can wait and see by checking your strains later on. I think i need to sharpen mines because my split ends came back in a few days!

I am a little obsessed with S&D and perhaps do it way to often.

CurlyCyndi
March 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
here is some at ebay
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=hair+scissors&_sacat=See-All-Categories

OrangeStripe
March 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
On that note: I have a good quality pair of hairdressing scissors, but how do I sharpen them? I know there are different ways of sharpening blades so that they are best at cutting certain materials, but what is the best way for hair?

CurlyCyndi
March 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Good question! i sharpen all my knives and scissors (and the likes) with the knife sharpener that came with my knife set.. but if you don't have one this should work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Macklin-Pocket-Stone-Knive-Blade-Sharpener-/290543100156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a5b7e0fc#ht_500wt_922

but there is also this which is advertised for scissors
http://cgi.ebay.com/BILLY-MAYS-SAMURAI-SHARK-KNIFE-SCISSOR-BLADE-SHARPENER-/230594909294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b087146e#ht_1909wt_907
http://cgi.ebay.com/AccuSharp-ShearSharp-Scissor-Sharpener-Shear-Sharp-NEW-/220507413262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3357441b0e#ht_2420wt_907

I think buying one of these would be well worth it, this way you don't have to keep buying new scissors or damage your hair.

Hope this helps

xo
cyndi

RocketDog
March 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I use a pair of Geib shears that I bought at a dog grooming expo - they were on sale :P

If you are using professional shears, please please PLEASE don't sharpen them using a kitchen knife sharpener!! Shears need to be sharpened by a professional who has the proper and equipment, since they are precision instruments and messing with the wrong tools can totally ruin them. If you don't have a good shear sharpener in your area, there are many places that will sharpen your shears if you mail them. Having them professionally maintained will guarantee you years of happy use!

CurlyCyndi
March 10th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thanx for letting me know, I was told that I could sharpen with a regular knife sharpener... I wont be doing that again. Maybe it's time I go get a new pair and a sharpener.

leandrahime
March 10th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Can anyone tell me if the $60 "high-end" hair shears are really worth that much compared to the $7 ones I bought from Sally Beauty? (from the same display area as $60 ones)

Laurenji
March 11th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I bought a $20 pair of hair scissors. They seem to do the job quite nicely. They're light and small so they fit in my purse, which is also a plus.

OrangeStripe
March 11th, 2011, 02:10 AM
If you are using professional shears, please please PLEASE don't sharpen them using a kitchen knife sharpener!! Shears need to be sharpened by a professional who has the proper and equipment, since they are precision instruments and messing with the wrong tools can totally ruin them. If you don't have a good shear sharpener in your area, there are many places that will sharpen your shears if you mail them. Having them professionally maintained will guarantee you years of happy use!
That's good to know! Thanks. My mother gave me a pair of her hairdressing scissors and I wouldn't want to ruin them after so much use.