PDA

View Full Version : Hot stylers vs flat irons

alwayssmiling
March 10th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hello

I purchased a hot styler last week :eek:, as I heard that it is less damaging for hair than a flat iron. I know all heat will potentially damage my hair, but I just wondered what the general consensus is here - is it a better alternative to the FI?

It basically gives me a nice blowout/straight look. It has 3 heat settings and I used the cool/medium, the hot setting is very hot so I don't think I would ever dare use that.

I used a heat protectant and keep my hair well conditioned. I try and run it through the hair quickly and concentrate on the roots, finishing the ends on cool.

My hair is just past collarbone, fairly healthy and growing well.

Thank you for your opinion.

x0h_bother
March 10th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Is this like the in-styler https://www.instylerhair.com/index.html?linkid=2450&source=adwords&custom=in%20styler ? If so, I personally don't like this tool as much because of the rotating plate, which has added contact to the hair. One swipe with the flat iron is much healthier than constantly rotating plates.
If the tool you're talking about is this one http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Styler-Vibrant-Styling-Flat/dp/B002TY8HFK then I see no reason for vibrating plates? Wouldn't the heat not be evenly distributed on the hair shaft? I see this as a hazzard. Just my 2cents.

Eta: Okay I'm scared:
"The initial idea for these ground-breaking new hair straighteners originally came from the traditional Korean way of ironing clothes! People would beat out a rapid rhythm on their laundry until it was perfectly flat. Hair Tools have now taken this wisdom and used it in the Vib oscillating straighteners.The unique combination of heat and vibration means not only does the hair glide effortlessly between the plates for smooth, straight locks, but hair damage is greatly reduced thanks to the lack of tugging or pulling! These much talked about new irons remove all kinks and creases easier than ever, thanks to their unique vibrating plates! Moreover, results of protecting hair color, natural moisture, and oil by hammering effect on cuticles of hair are inevitable.The variable temperature (250ºF – 400ºF + MAX Entropy Mode) means salon level results can be achieved with ease and you can alter the performance depending on your hair type. The vibration on the plates can be switched on or off as desired and being ceramic tourmaline, they leave hair frizz-free and lustrous, with moisture locked in for a healthy shine.As well as straightening hair, the vib straighteners are also useful for creating flicks and curls and with a fast heat-up time they are ready to use in no time."

Really doubtful that the bolded above would do what the concept claims. And that's being nice. As much as I love flat irons, I dislike the concept of these and fear that hair will be singed unevenly.

UltraBella
March 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I am unsure of what product you are referring to. Perhaps a link might help ? Or a brand name ? Thanks !

alwayssmiling
March 10th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I am unsure of what product you are referring to. Perhaps a link might help ? Or a brand name ? Thanks !

sorry here's a link to the model I bought

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4433817/Trail/searchtext%3ESTYLER.htm

There was the babyliss big hair but I was worried about the spinning brush getting tangled :eek:! So I went for this instead.

alwayssmiling
March 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Is this like the in-styler https://www.instylerhair.com/index.html?linkid=2450&source=adwords&custom=in%20styler ? If so, I personally don't like this tool as much because of the rotating plate, which has added contact to the hair. One swipe with the flat iron is much healthier than constantly rotating plates.
If the tool you're talking about is this one http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Styler-Vibrant-Styling-Flat/dp/B002TY8HFK then I see no reason for vibrating plates? Wouldn't the heat not be evenly distributed on the hair shaft? I see this as a hazzard. Just my 2cents.

Eta: Okay I'm scared:
"The initial idea for these ground-breaking new hair straighteners originally came from the traditional Korean way of ironing clothes! People would beat out a rapid rhythm on their laundry until it was perfectly flat. Hair Tools have now taken this wisdom and used it in the Vib oscillating straighteners.The unique combination of heat and vibration means not only does the hair glide effortlessly between the plates for smooth, straight locks, but hair damage is greatly reduced thanks to the lack of tugging or pulling! These much talked about new irons remove all kinks and creases easier than ever, thanks to their unique vibrating plates! Moreover, results of protecting hair color, natural moisture, and oil by hammering effect on cuticles of hair are inevitable.The variable temperature (250ºF – 400ºF + MAX Entropy Mode) means salon level results can be achieved with ease and you can alter the performance depending on your hair type. The vibration on the plates can be switched on or off as desired and being ceramic tourmaline, they leave hair frizz-free and lustrous, with moisture locked in for a healthy shine.As well as straightening hair, the vib straighteners are also useful for creating flicks and curls and with a fast heat-up time they are ready to use in no time."

Really doubtful that the bolded above would do what the concept claims. And that's being nice. As much as I love flat irons, I dislike the concept of these and fear that hair will be singed unevenly.

Not seen these before - they do look very scarey :eek:!

x0h_bother
March 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
sorry here's a link to the model I bought

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4433817/Trail/searchtext%3ESTYLER.htm

There was the babyliss big hair but I was worried about the spinning brush getting tangled :eek:! So I went for this instead.

So the brush doesn't spin? This looks A LOT better. I would say it would be a lot less damaging, but I've never tried something like this. How does it work? The reviews say it is a hair dryer as well? So does air come out of those holes? :)

lapushka
March 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I've had one of these (different brand). They are as damaging as flat irons, trust me. If it's one with a hot ceramic plate, well... barrel (that pink section), it's as damaging. Make sure you do not use this on wet hair.

alwayssmiling
March 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM
So the brush doesn't spin? This looks A LOT better. I would say it would be a lot less damaging, but I've never tried something like this. How does it work? The reviews say it is a hair dryer as well? So does air come out of those holes? :)

Yes its like a hairdryer with a large round brush on the end. Basically its like having a blowout but without the aching arms :p!

Avital88
March 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
i have this one too and was using it for a month or 2 last year. my hair got really dry so i stopped using it. Also bought it to take over from the Flatiron..

alwayssmiling
March 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Avital88 - That doesn't sound too encouraging. Did you use it on the cooler/medium setting and how often did you use it? My plan is to use it on the lower settings and to perhaps use it once a week.

UltraBella
March 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Ah, got it ! I have something similar in fact. It is exactly the same as having your hair blown dry at the salon. Hot air from a hairdryer combined with a brush. Not hot plates or elements, just hot air flow. It is not as damaging as a flat iron, not by any means. It can dry your hair out, and you can put quite a bit of tension on hair strands while using it, just like a salon blow out can too.

HeatherJenae
March 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I don't own a hot styler but I think it all depends on how you use it. It sounds like you are very careful with your hair and knowledgeable about products. I would give it a shot and see how your hair reacts. We would love to read how your hair turns out! I flat iron and I read lots of reviews and how to's and whatnot but hair is so individual that you'll probably find your own routine naturally. I threw away my round brush because I never got the hang of it and I read all those funny/horrible posts about chicks getting them stuck in their roots so I ditched it. But I hope it works out great for you! Did you have a bad flat iron experience or are you just looking to try something different?

alwayssmiling
March 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Sorry heatherjenae I hadn't noticed your post - didn't mean to ignore you.

I have always got breakage from flatironing (I use GHd's) which has meant it kept needing to be evened up so it was getting shorter and shorter! Since joining LHC I have reduced heat dramatically to just on occassions. My hair is now growing and I have reached the crazy length of just below collarbone!! Sadly without styling my hair in someway shape or form I look like a cavewoman! :p

Will let you know how I get on.

aenflex
March 13th, 2011, 04:56 PM
IMO -heat is heat. Steam or not. Protection or not. We trade condition for looks, most of the time, when it comes to heat.

UltraBella
March 13th, 2011, 10:27 PM
IMO -heat is heat. Steam or not. Protection or not. We trade condition for looks, most of the time, when it comes to heat.

I have to completely disagree. Steam is far more gentle and even moisturizing and I don't think it can be compared to traditional forms of heat at all. My flat iron and curling iron will burn my skin right off if I grab them, my steam rollers will not. It takes about 2 seconds for them to go from hot to warm once I pull them off the steam unit. They are considered a non-heat, non-damaging form of curling.

HintOfMint
March 13th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Seems to be not so bad in theory but from the link you sent there is only one temperature setting and I'm guessing that it could be very hot. Seeing as your hair has to be right up against the surface of the tool in order to work (whereas with a blowdryer and brush you can keep some distance between the tool and the hair), it might be more damaging than you would like.

Perhaps not as much damage as a flat iron or curling iron but perhaps more so than a traditional blowdryer particularly one with multiple temperature settings.

But I do like the concept. I'd like to find one with multiple heat settings, that's all.

alwayssmiling
March 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Seems to be not so bad in theory but from the link you sent there is only one temperature setting and I'm guessing that it could be very hot. Seeing as your hair has to be right up against the surface of the tool in order to work (whereas with a blowdryer and brush you can keep some distance between the tool and the hair), it might be more damaging than you would like.

Perhaps not as much damage as a flat iron or curling iron but perhaps more so than a traditional blowdryer particularly one with multiple temperature settings.

But I do like the concept. I'd like to find one with multiple heat settings, that's all.

There is actually 3 temperatures cool, medium and hot. I think it must be an error with the discription on the site :confused:. The hot is very hot and actually burns my scalp if it gets too close. So I don't use that at all. What I have been doing is waiting for my hair to be 70% dry then using the cooler setting followed by one or two swipes with the medium heat to finish off.

I agree with ultrabella regarding steam rollers, my hair feels very moisturised after using them . I wish my hair was just a couple of inches longer.....