PDA

View Full Version : EV Coconut oil and back acne

Shany
March 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hi :D ,

I've been light oiling my ends at night and using coconut oil as a leave-in on wet hair since 1 month. I noticed acne on my shoulders and my back 2-3 weeks ago. I wear my hair down most of the time. I've been wondering if extra virgin coconut oil can clog pores and cause back acne? When I type '' coconut oil and back acne'' on a search engine, I only see articles about coconut oil as an acne treatment. I always wash my back after rinsing out my conditioner and I didn't change any hair product in the past month. The cause could be something else, but I just want to know if oiling ends with coconut oil could be the culprit.

Thanks

NordicPandi
March 9th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I use coconut oil as a lotion on my body and face and it seems to help my acne. I've read that it has antiviral, antibacterial and anti fungal properties.

I'm sure for some people it wouldn't agree with their systems though.

Perhaps something else has changed as well, like diet or weight. If I eat something I'm allergic to or drink alcohol it causes breakouts. If I gain even a pound or two that also causes breakouts for me.

Good luck :) I know how frustrating it can be to figure out what is causing it.

Yosha
March 10th, 2011, 01:15 AM
For some people coconut oil seems to cause break outs (and for some it helps against break outs), so it is possible it's causing your acne. I used it for my face and body and it made me break out a little, enough to make me switch to another oil. I still use it on my hair though, as a prewash treatment.

Shany
March 10th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Ok, I'll try 1-2 weeks without coconut oil and see what happens. My skin is very sensitive and reactive. Thank you for your answers

Pantsless Amy
March 10th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Everybody's skin will react to things differently, but generally speaking coconut oil is comedogenic, meaning that it is likely to clog pores. It gave me the worst "backne". I was horrified to discover the pussiest crater smack dab in the middle of my back. You could see it from space. Plus lot of other smaller eruptions. It was terrible. But my hair was so lustrous. I was torn. Beautiful hair, or beautiful skin. Now I am just very careful not to let my oiled hair touch my skin, because it will make my back (or face) break out.

nereida
March 10th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hello there (:

So... When I was younger I had acne and I've fought with it for 2 years, but now I conquered it and fortunately it doesn't come back.
But when I started my adventure with pure coconut oil my problems also started again... But I wasn't afraid of it, because like you, I read somewhere that coconut helps with skin problems. So I keep using the oil and the results are breathtaking, because since month I've been putting coconut oil on my face. It helps me with post-acne scars, my skin is moisturised and finally it had a nice glow. And my friends say me that it's incredible that I finally have a "baby face" :)

Angel_099
March 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Everybody's skin will react to things differently, but generally speaking coconut oil is comedogenic, meaning that it is likely to clog pores.

Yes, everyone's skin will react differently to different products. I should point out that the EV coconut oil you are using is non-comedogenic and should not clog your pores...regular coconut oil is comedogenic and will. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2746783/coconut_oil_to_clear_acne.html?cat=69

I have used EVCO for a couple weeks now and love it for my skin and health! It has cleared any breakouts on my face and body and diminished my eczema. If you read up on it you will find that there are numerous benefits and ways to use EVCO. It works to detoxify and that may be causing the breakouts...as it commonly does for some...and then gets better. It's up to you if you want to wait it out and see if that is the case.:)

Anje
March 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Coconut oil causes acne in some and relieves it in others. It's usually listed as comedogenic, but it seems to vary a lot from person to person. So there could definitely be a connection.

Try skipping the oil for a while, or switch to something like olive oil and see if you still have problems.

pixistixx
March 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM
coconut oil always breaks me out on my back and chest. I never have acne there otherwise. I still use it on occasion though :)

Aliya12
April 1st, 2017, 03:30 AM
If you want to get rid of back ance, there're other essencial oil that can do it like green tea oil, olive oil, melaleuca oil.. (you can read them here https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-back-acne/ )
But I think physiological salt treat back acnes best. After bathing, apply it to the back skin and massage for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with warm water. You will recover immediately if using this back acne treatment.
Or lemon juice is effective as well, it's simple just cut a lemon into 2 halves and rub them on your infected skin 2-3 times per week.
Those are my tips to get rid of back acne :)

Flipgirl24
April 2nd, 2017, 11:00 PM
Coconut oil is number 4 on the comedogenic scale so he's it can cause acne. It may help those with acne because it is naturally antibacterial but for others, it causes it. You could try jojoba or grapeseed oil as they are less comedogenic. You could also try washing your back with an oil-free facial or body wash after conditioning. This was a suggestion from someone to one of my posts about back acne. Sometimes I pit benzoyl peroxide on my back as well.

Reyesuela
April 3rd, 2017, 12:23 AM
Coconut oil causes acne on me.

Faustine
April 3rd, 2017, 02:30 AM
Everybody's skin will react to things differently, but generally speaking coconut oil is comedogenic, meaning that it is likely to clog pores. It gave me the worst "backne". I was horrified to discover the pussiest crater smack dab in the middle of my back. You could see it from space. Plus lot of other smaller eruptions. It was terrible. But my hair was so lustrous. I was torn. Beautiful hair, or beautiful skin. Now I am just very careful not to let my oiled hair touch my skin, because it will make my back (or face) break out.

Exactly, coconut oil is part of the list of oils that are comedogenic. When I use it, just like you I make sure that none gets to my face/neck/back, as it also gives me eruptions of spots.

Because of that I only use coconut oil as a hair treatment (I sleep in it 1-2 days a week, with my hair carefully warped).

When it comes to my daily hair care oil, I use virgin organic argan oil (which is non-comedogenic), or virgin organic avocado oil (sometimes I mix them both).