PDA

View Full Version : Updos Using Hairsticks/Forks/Chopsticks Questions

Maelyssa
March 9th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks to some of our generous LHC members I have been watching videos of how to do updos using hairsticks/chopsticks since I would love to do these styles but have no clue.

I've tried practicing some of the buns...for example the lazy wrap...and I have a few questions that came up while experimenting.

*When wrapping your hair around into any of the buns (with the exception of the styles where a portion of hair is intentionally left loose) I'm assuming that the goal should be to have your ends at the top of the bun. Is that correct?
If that is correct then what happens if a nice, tight wrap of the bun keeps landing your ends at the bottom of the bun instead? Would it be better to do the bun looser thus wrapping it around less so ends can be higher up on the head or is it better to pull it super tight so the ends get as far to the top of the head as possible?
When I try it myself I"m doing a pretty tight pull the way it is & my ends keep landing at the bottom of the bun not the top like in the videos I see.

*When putting in hairsticks/forks/chopsticks I want to make sure they securely hold the style. I can see how the videos show the stick going in & out but can anyone elaborate on what's going on that you don't see? To clarify, when I put in a chopstick (practice stick) I suppose that I want the stick to go all the way through the bun to the hair that is lying flat against my head & then somehow I weave the stick through that hair then back up & out. Is that correct?
I guess I'm saying that I have no CLUE how to secure the hairstick properly. I've been looking through some of the styles in our 'articles' section up top but even in those style instructions it's assumed you know how to properly use a hairtoy.
Can someone please help?

Zefyra
March 9th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Okay, Im not expert but Ill attempt to answer your questions.
Firstly, for the bun issue, experiment with wrapping the hair tighter or more loosely. Or if the ends consistently land on the bottom, pin them in place. Likely this issue will resolve itself as your hair continues to grow.

Second, you are mostly correct. To say your are essentially weaving the stick through the hair is right. You pick up hair from both the hair on your head, and the hair from the bun (or whatever style you've created). So yes, you are moving the stick forward and back as you push it through the hair in order to accomplish this. Its not easy to explain, but again, experiment and practice and you'll have it figured out in no time.

Madora
March 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Pulling hair tightly isn't good for your hair.

Aliped
March 9th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I tuck my ends in wherever they are - I don't think it matters if they are at the top or not.

As for the stick. Wherever you decide to insert it that is appropriate for the bun, angle it away from the center of the bun as you insert it. Then when you reach the scalp, reverse the direction so that you are inserting it towards the bun, this is where the weaving up and down through scalp and bun hair takes place.

I think its easier to show this in videos than it is to describe it - watch a lot of videos!

2peasinapod
March 9th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I'm no expert, but when I do a lazy wrap, I wrap, then tuck the ends in before weaving in the hair fork. It's never made a difference for me where the ends are as long as I catch some of them when weaving the hair fork.

frost pattern
March 9th, 2011, 11:03 PM
How long is your hair now? The longer it is, the more unimportant the position is in which the ends are tucked regarding LWBs and cinnabuns. When my hair was shorter and I couldn't do many wraps or loops to secure, a particular position of the ends helped a lot on some bun types. I still watch well for the ends when making a cinnabun and put them in a position where they will be fixed by forks and sticks. You can see that the ends are tucked (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7130&pictureid=95721) on this photo in my album and they are invisibly wrapped around the base once.

The easiest hair stick bun I know is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Meh8Swh38 . It was the first I could do, no tucked ends. This is about the same (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXWch2Sx8Nk), and well described. You can play around with the number of twists and the position.

Keep on practising - you'll learn :)!

Maelyssa
March 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you so much for your responses! My hair is a few inches above waist so I have a decent amount to work with I just wasn't sure if tucking the ends into the bottom would result in them falling out easier or look not as nice.

I think after reading your responses I understand what the hairstick is supposed to do in order to secure the bun. In watching videos I wasn't sure how far down the stick was going but after having it explained that it goes down to the scalp I now realize that my hunch was correct & you're attempting to kind of loop it under some of the hair on the scalp before you bring it back up & out the other side of the bun.

Now on to more practicing & the purchasing of my first official hairstick...yay!