PDA

View Full Version : Triming Times

annabell_leigh
June 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hi I this is my first official post! Hurray
I have been trying to grow my hair out to be lustrously long and wonderful!.... for the past 5 years. And I haven't really gotten very far...but it will get there someday!
I don't get trims very often and I thought that if I really want to grow my hair in the healthiest way I'll probabaly need to start doing that. So when are the best times I should get my hair trimed? Like on new moons or something?

And do you guys trim your hair yourselves? I would like to (to save money) but I'm afraid it'd end up horribly uneven!
Thanks,
annabell

SweetPea88
June 12th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hooray for your first post! :cheer:

I would say that the best time to get your hair trimmed is whenever your ends are not feeling or looking so great. If you start to notice a lot of splits, damage, dryness, things that treatments can't fix, or maybe your hemline is getting a bit uneven or you hit an awkward stage. It's really up to you! A lot of people never trim and their hair is gorgeous beyond belief!

I am personally trimming my hair half an inch each month to get rid of my layers. I use Feye's Trimming Method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) to trim my own hair, it's really simple and works great.

jastark84
June 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Personally, I get an inch cut off every three months. It keeps my ends in great condition. I had to get the "big chop" a while ago to save my hair ( it was horrid after al the chemical damage). I got 6 inches chopped, and now my hair went from a slow .5 inch per month to my normal 1 inch per month growth rate.

spidermom
June 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Some people seem to be able to grow their hair without ever trimming, even if the ends are damaged. I can't. My growth will slow to a crawl and then stall completely. I assume it's because my ends are breaking off. I've experimented a lot and have discovered that a 1/2-inch trim every 3 months keeps my ends in great shape, for the most part. This spring I had to have a bigger cut because of, I assume, my activities in chlorinated pools and the sea last summer, but it grew right back out within 6 weeks.

When growth drastically slows or stalls, I think a 1/2 to 1-inch trim can be of great benefit.

Welcome to the community.

FrannyG
June 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Annabell_leigh, and welcome. I like your name.

I cut and trim my own hair, and although I just had a 5 inch cut, generally I trim about a quarter of my growth every 3 months. This keeps my ends more even, which can be a problem with my fine, straight hair. Everyone's trimming needs are different though. Some people only trim once every 6 months to a year, and others not at all.

I trim my own hair, using Feye's self-trim method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim).

If you like to cut by the astological calendar, by all means do so. For hair that is thicker and fuller, traditionally cut on the Full Moon when it's in Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces. For faster growth, you would trim on the New Moon of those same signs.

Not everyone believes in lunar cutting, but I say, why not? It doesn't hurt to try! :)

ladystar
June 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Welcome!!! You will learn a lot here;).

I trim about every 6 months and try to go as long as I can so I can get more growth. I use to trim every 3 months and saw it growing SLOW!!! I guess everyone is different. You have to try to see what is best for you!!! Good Luck!

zule
June 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Your hair is gorgeous, Franny G! The color looks like cornsilk and it appears to be so sleek and soft.

FrannyG
June 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Thank you so much, Zule! :smooch:

jel
June 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I don't trim my hair at all because I like the irregular shape of my hemline (so-called fairytale ends). Occasionally I will have a close look at my hair and snip off any split ends I find, individually. For me that method (AKA search and destroy, or S&D) works well to keep my hair healthy and undamaged. It would not be enough on its own to maintain a blunt hair hemline, though - for that, trims are a necessity.

If you are interested, have a look at the no-trim club link in my signature, and welcome to the boards!

<hijack> Spidermom, that's a gorgeous new siggy, your hair looks beautiful curled! </hijack>

burns_erin
June 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I do not trim either and I do S&D. Guess i have a new place to go look.