PDA

View Full Version : It happened, I knew it would!

misspriss
March 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Okay so in January, I cut my hair short. Kind of planned, kind of implusively.

I liked it, and I still like some aspects of it. I love how easy it is to wash, how quickly it dries, how little shampoo and conditioner I need, how it stays out of the way all of the time, it is never in my face/backpack/seatbelt/food, etc. It is a really cute style, and I think it looks cute on me, but it is just not me. So I decided to grow it back out again. I kind of knew this would happen at some point, I just didn't know it would be so early! I told my Fiancée, he said he knew it would happen too.

Anyway, I am starting again growing. I actually have virgin hair for the first time in my life since I was 12 or 13, but I have been physically fighting the urge to color so I am guessing it will not stay that way too long. I am irritated with myself for cutting it all off, but really, it was fairly damaged.

I think a lot of the reason was psychological, I had just received some really bad news and I was very upset. I think sometimes very upsetting things or big changes can sometimes cause people to make drastic changes, like cutting off their hair. Oh well, so here goes to start growing back out!

I go to the stylist on the 30th, and I am going to tell him that I want to grow it back out, but I am going to have him cut it anyway. It will look awful if I just grow it out from here, it is way longer in the back and I am willing to sacrifice a little length to avoid the mullet. I am just really irritated with myself for doing this 7 months before my wedding (which is 5 months away now). But, what is done is done. :cool:

HintOfMint
March 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
First off, congratulations on your engagement!

Second, we've ALL been there. The emotional haircut, the impulsiveness, the need for change... etc., everything. It's good that you're handling it well and not beating yourself up over it. And hey, you got rid of all your damage.

Look at it this way though: as you grow your hair out, you get to try every haircut and every hairstyle for every length along the way. I wish I had the cajones to chop my hair into a pixie. Heck, I wish I had the stones to cut up to shoulder length so I could try some 1940s type styles.

Have fun growing out your hair again, and remember that the operative word is "fun."

selderon
March 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Don't worry so much about wedding hair. There are a host of styles you can do with shorter hair. You may also be able to find some "dress up" hair in your color and texture specifically for your wedding day if you want. My hair was a bit below my shoulders when I got married, but nobody knew it wasn't long when it was styled up.

misspriss
March 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
First off, congratulations on your engagement!

Second, we've ALL been there. The emotional haircut, the impulsiveness, the need for change... etc., everything. It's good that you're handling it well and not beating yourself up over it. And hey, you got rid of all your damage.

Look at it this way though: as you grow your hair out, you get to try every haircut and every hairstyle for every length along the way. I wish I had the cajones to chop my hair into a pixie. Heck, I wish I had the stones to cut up to shoulder length so I could try some 1940s type styles.

Have fun growing out your hair again, and remember that the operative word is "fun."

Thanks!

Well, I knew good and well what I was doing when I cut it, and I swore to myself that I wouldn't beat myself up over it. I made a conscious choice to chop it off, and I'm okay with that. I actually got some fairly devastating news about my mom's health, and I just didn't know how to deal with it. I guess cutting off my hair was just one way to deal. I personally feel like I still don't, but having short hair isn't helping!

I hung on to my ponytail that they cut off for a while. I would have donated it (I don't like people pressuring you to cut for donation, but if I cut it off anyway!) but it was severely dyed, so they wouldn't use it anyway. My hair was always shiny and soft, which is still was, but the ends were pretty over-dyed looking. And this was after getting about 5-6" cut off a few months before. I am going to try and take much better care of it this time around.

misspriss
March 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Don't worry so much about wedding hair. There are a host of styles you can do with shorter hair. You may also be able to find some "dress up" hair in your color and texture specifically for your wedding day if you want. My hair was a bit below my shoulders when I got married, but nobody knew it wasn't long when it was styled up.

Well, I am worried about being in the "in between" stage really, but I will be willing to cut it a little bit for the wedding so it looks like a good style (if it is too short to put up). I'm just going to cross that bridge when I get to it! I wasn't planning on a veil but it may work better if I am not completely happy with my hair...who knows I know I'll look great either way though.

spidermom
March 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Not sure of your natural color, but if light enough you can use a deposit-only color from time to time for a change since they fade out.