PDA

View Full Version : Planning to prove my DH wrong!

mama2j&c
March 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
My DH and I have been together for nearly 12 years now, and the longest my hair has been is probably just past shoulder length, with few layers. I don't think I've even made it to APL since we've been together. He's always told me how much he likes long hair, and I've always wanted to grow it, but I lack self discipline. I always seem to come up with some excuse or another to cut layers, or cut it short or whatever. He stopped taking me seriously when I say I am finally going to grow it a long time ago. So, I think I will just grow it for now, without saying much of anything. I wonder how long it will be when he finally says something like "wow, you really are growing it long this time!" Anyone else plotting to prove their hunny wrong, or have similar stories to share? I'd love to hear them!

Nae
March 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Bwahaha, that is funny! This place will definately help you on your journey. I hope you enjoy it here. I am currently proving my hubby wrong that I can stop buying hair toys. I have enough hair sticks and forks to choke a horse. He says I can't hold off until May but so far I am holding strong.

Good luck with your hair growth!!

Bianca
March 9th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Well, no one really believed me, when I said I would stop dying my hair. I understand why, since I was bleaching and dying it every 2 weeks. But nevertheless, today, 2 years later, its all natural :p

Good luck, you can do it :flowers:

EvaSimone
March 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I had a short layered bob when DH and I first started dating. He sort of rolled his eyes when I told him I was going to grow it out. He started taking me serious at BSL and now I am tailbone.

That being said, I grew my hair out because I wanted too. Not for my DH and because of that it didn't really matter to me if he thought I was serious or not because I knew what I wanted. :p

HintOfMint
March 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I was told by a former boyfriend that my hair looked best at collarbone and that I shouldn't grow it long. Then basically every length he saw me at was the "perfect length" and I shouldn't grow it longer.

Those words must have tasted good because he wouldn't stop eating them.:p

Anje
March 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM
There was never really a question of commitment, but my DH was skeptical about me growing my hair past BSL. Didn't think it would look good.

Now he thinks tailbone is his favorite length for my hair. He seems to prefer the longest length he's seen on me, and I keep pushing that.

Now he's not sure about growing past my hiney. I don't know if I'll hit terminal before I get to fingertip, but I'll bet he'd like it there, too.

mama2j&c
March 9th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I had a short layered bob when DH and I first started dating. He sort of rolled his eyes when I told him I was going to grow it out. He started taking me serious at BSL and now I am tailbone.

That being said, I grew my hair out because I wanted too. Not for my DH and because of that it didn't really matter to me if he thought I was serious or not because I knew what I wanted. :p

I'm not planning to grow it out "for him", but knowing that he will appreciate how it looks is a nice, additional motivating factor. Almost as motivating as making him eat his words, lol.... I am not yet 100% sure yet that I will absolutely love having "long" hair, because sometimes it sounds like a lot of work. But, I've always admired it, and I don't want to regret not trying it out in my lifetime...

BrightEyes7
March 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I am not yet 100% sure yet that I will absolutely love having "long" hair, because sometimes it sounds like a lot of work. But, I've always admired it, and I don't want to regret not trying it out in my lifetime...

I kinda grew it to prove myself wrong in a way. I never thought I'd be able to grow my hair long. I was stuck at APL forever not because I was cutting but because it was breaking so much.

I've had short hair most of my life and long hair is so much easier to care for! When your hair is short you have to do something to it to make it look ok. With long hair, it kinda happens on it own. Or you can throw it up and it'll look presentable.

heidihug
March 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I am not yet 100% sure yet that I will absolutely love having "long" hair, because sometimes it sounds like a lot of work.
Short hair was so much more work than long hair is for me. I have straight hair, though, so YMMV.

Zefyra
March 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Well.. Im sort of proving my dad wrong. I used to grow my hair for awhile, then get it cut, then immediately say I was growing it out again. So he doesnt quite believe Ill let it get to TB.. DBF loves the idea of me growing my hair really long, though Im still doing it for myself primarily cuz Ive always loved long hair but never wanted to care for it until now...

Debra83
March 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I started growing out my hair before DF and I started going out. But, he likes long hair too, so ADDED bonus!!!! And, it's really cute when he notices it getting longer, cute and encouraging!!!

aurorabridge
March 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I like the idea of sneaky hair growth, not saying anything until he notices. Good plan!

Kaeita
March 9th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I have to grow sneakily - not so much to prove anyone wrong, but because my son has a hard time dealing with change. If I announce a personal goal of changing my appearance (losing weight, growing hair, even new glasses) he gets very distressed, and worries about it the whole time, and tells me several times a day that he doesn't want me to change X, until I reassure him that I won't. I feel bad lying to him, so I just don't mention it any more. I've had long hair several times during his lifetime (well, long for me, usually around APL to BSL), and went from long to short at least 3 times, and that really freaked him out. I think quietly growing (or slowly shrinking) gives him time to adjust to the new look day by day. He tells me my hair is pretty, which is a nice encouragement.

Kherome
March 9th, 2011, 07:37 PM
My DH would like me to cut my hair off. He complains that it's in the shower drain, clogs the vacuum roller, and ends up in his mouth when we sleep. :rolleyes:

Cirafly24
March 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM
My fiance doesn't think my hair will grow much longer than it is. He even said one day "Your hair hasn't really grown at all in a long time, has it?" *cue devastation* I made sure to point out that my hair was consistently growing at least 1/2" per month and was 5 inches longer than last year, even with 2 trims.

I have to remember that he's not very observant ;)

endtransmission
March 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM
My fiance and I are in a race to see whose hair can grow faster. Obviously I'm winning since I've got about a year's head start on him. We also just finished dreading his hair so he lost a couple of inches in length. I'm glad my other half is also a long hair wannabe :D

shawty
March 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
It will probably actually help your discipline if you keep it a secret from him!
Best of luck!

RocketDog
March 9th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I think the stealth approach is kind of fun - especially if you go into 'benign neglect' mode for a while and ignore it yourself, too! Think of how surprising it will be for both of you when 6, 12, 18 months down the road you let down your hair and WHOOSH, tada, longer hair!!

This is pretty much what I'm doing, although I occasionally ask my husband to help with taking a length shot for my growth gallery. He supports me growing my hair out as long as I'm happy with it, and I know he enjoys it when it's longer as he NEVER ran his hands through it when it was short and choppy and styled with products :)

leslissocool
March 9th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I am proving husband right, total opposite of the thread! He told me I looked better with my natural curls... I have stopped all chemical and heat abuse I used to do to my hair and it does look so much better, even If I liked that honey color I had with the bleach...