PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo & Conditioner Question - All-Natural and Ph-Balanced

WickedLady
March 8th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I need Opinions. I have been trying to find a shampoo and conditioner that is of the only most natural and PH-balanced formulas.

Shampoo: containing chamomile, aloe vera, ginseng, horsetail, rosemry, biotin, silica, and vitamin E.

Conditioner: amino acids, biotin, aloe vera, ginseng and green tea.

I have found 3 types so far but would like some opinions on the matter before i waste more time searching and trying to decide wich one is the right one.

#1: Natures Gate: Shampoo: http://www.shopnatures-gate.com/detail/TCL+41100056
Natures Gate: Conditioner: http://www.shopnatures-gate.com/detail/TCL+42102257

#2: Real Purity: http://www.realpurity.com/shop/index.php?cPath=27

#3 Swanson: Shampoo: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW1189/ItemDetail
Swanson: Conditioner: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWCS003/ItemDetail

I have also choosen a view vitamins to order with what ever i chose which are: Pygeum&Saw Palmetto, Zinc (Gluconate)

I do have caster oil, tea tree oil, sweet almond oil, and grapseed oil to experiment a 50/50 mix with caster oil for a scalp massage oil.

Any opinions would be welcome, if this is another subject in another thread please direct me, and if not please help :)

ericthegreat
March 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Nature's Gate is a favorite among many members here looking for an all natural brand, so that would be a good choice. Another brand you could look into is Aubrey Organics, which is my personal favorite. Aubrey Organics is especially well known for using only all natural plant extracts, without any synthetic preservatives. My personal favorites are the Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner and the White Camellia Tea Conditioner, both of which are super moisturizing.

As for oils, I myself use coconut oil, because coconut has proven to be the most effective in strengthening my hair and at the same time it leaves my hair very flexible. I've also tried both sweet almond oil and olive oil as well, but those oils didn't quite work as well as coconut oil does for me.

WickedLady
March 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Nature's Gate is a favorite among many members here looking for an all natural brand, so that would be a good choice. Another brand you could look into is Aubrey Organics, which is my personal favorite. Aubrey Organics is especially well known for using only all natural plant extracts, without any synthetic preservatives. My personal favorites are the Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner and the White Camellia Tea Conditioner, both of which are super moisturizing.

As for oils, I myself use coconut oil, because coconut has proven to be the most effective in strengthening my hair and at the same time it leaves my hair very flexible. I've also tried both sweet almond oil and olive oil as well, but those oils didn't quite work as well as coconut oil does for me.

I tried looking for coconut oil and all i found was a jar that had the oil but also the actual coconut in it too. Got a link were i can buy teh coconut oil? i just ordered grapeseed oil, and sweet almond oil and caster oil from the swanson site below :)

WickedLady
March 9th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Another thing was i was looking at the aubrey organics and everything im looking for is in the ingredient list :cheese: is horsetail really silica?

WickedLady
March 9th, 2011, 07:08 AM

Ericthegreat, my only concern is that the aubrey organics does not contain in the ingredients biotin and silica as suggested by a list of doctors instructions. any thoughts?

ericthegreat
March 9th, 2011, 01:30 PM
If there is a WholeFoods in your area, they will definitely carry coconut oil in their foods section. WholeFoods also carries both Nature's Gate and Aubrey Organics and also other natural haircare porducts in their beauty aisle. That's where I go for my coconut oil and the hair products.

Silica in itself is not horsetail. Horsetail in itself is a natural plant. However, horsetail does contain a high amount of natural silcon. Silicon has been proven to help re-build connective tissue, so horsetail is often used by arthritis patients. Its also proven to help grow stronger nails, and since both nails and hair are both composed of keratin it should be beneficial to hair as well.

I'm not much for shopping online (I guess I'm still old-fashioned that way), so I don't think I can help you there :).

WickedLady
March 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM
If there is a WholeFoods in your area, they will definitely carry coconut oil in their foods section. WholeFoods also carries both Nature's Gate and Aubrey Organics and also other natural haircare porducts in their beauty aisle. That's where I go for my coconut oil and the hair products.

Silica in itself is not horsetail. Horsetail in itself is a natural plant. However, horsetail does contain a high amount of natural silcon. Silicon has been proven to help re-build connective tissue, so horsetail is often used by arthritis patients. Its also proven to help grow stronger nails, and since both nails and hair are both composed of keratin it should be beneficial to hair as well.

I'm not much for shopping online (I guess I'm still old-fashioned that way), so I don't think I can help you there :).

i dont see that aubrey organics contains biotin unless im missing something?

virgo75
March 9th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Hi lady. :)

2nd ericthegreat's suggestions. Everything is at Whole Foods and Aubrey is a very good natural brand.

A couple more brands at Whole Foods are Jason and Avalon Organics. I believe both have a biotin shampoo and conditioner. Though for the most benefits you might want to take biotin and horsetail/silica internally.

WickedLady
March 9th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hi lady. :)

2nd ericthegreat's suggestions. Everything is at Whole Foods and Aubrey is a very good natural brand.

A couple more brands at Whole Foods are Jason and Avalon Organics. I believe both have a biotin shampoo and conditioner. Though for the most benefits you might want to take biotin and horsetail/silica internally.

What do you think about?

#3 Swanson: Shampoo: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW1189/ItemDetail (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW1189/ItemDetail)
Swanson: Conditioner: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWCS003/ItemDetail (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWCS003/ItemDetail)

WickedLady
March 9th, 2011, 08:54 PM

would it hurt if i rotated between the brands?

WickedLady
March 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM

We do have a WholeFoods Store. I might head there this weekend and see what they have.

WickedLady
March 9th, 2011, 09:03 PM
as i have also found the products from JessiCurl.com also carries products with all natural ingredients to include horsetail, sage, etc.

virgo75
March 10th, 2011, 06:21 AM
What do you think about?

#3 Swanson: Shampoo: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW1189/ItemDetail (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW1189/ItemDetail)
Swanson: Conditioner: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWCS003/ItemDetail (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWCS003/ItemDetail)

I've never seen those, but they seem to have all the ingredients you're looking for. :)

WickedLady
March 10th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I've never seen those, but they seem to have all the ingredients you're looking for. :)

I think im going to rotate betwee Swanson, Aubrey, and Natures Gate. Is it bad for your hair and scalp if you rotate?

virgo75
March 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think im going to rotate betwee Swanson, Aubrey, and Natures Gate. Is it bad for your hair and scalp if you rotate?

No, I don't think it's bad for hair or scalp. A lot of people rotate different lines.

The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you use each line alone for at least a week before rotating.

That way you if you were to experience any irritation you would know which product caused it instead of trying to figure out which of the 6 new products is the culprit.

Best of luck and I hope the new products work out for you. :flower:

WickedLady
March 10th, 2011, 09:26 AM
No, I don't think it's bad for hair or scalp. A lot of people rotate different lines.

The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you use each line alone for at least a week before rotating.

That way you if you were to experience any irritation you would know which product caused it instead of trying to figure out which of the 6 new products is the culprit.

Best of luck and I hope the new products work out for you. :flower:

Virgo75, thank you :) i'm glad these forums are here or else i would never have known the right thing to do for my hair :) i'm going to go to WholeFoods and check out what they have this weekend becuase im almost out of WEN. Although WEN is doing a wonderful job and my shedding has been minimized its still costly so i dont know if i can afford to buy more so thats why im rotating it with some of these other brands. Dont get me wrong i'll still get WEN from time to time just only when i have the funds to do it :)

virgo75
March 10th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Virgo75, thank you :) i'm glad these forums are here or else i would never have known the right thing to do for my hair :) i'm going to go to WholeFoods and check out what they have this weekend becuase im almost out of WEN. Although WEN is doing a wonderful job and my shedding has been minimized its still costly so i dont know if i can afford to buy more so thats why im rotating it with some of these other brands. Dont get me wrong i'll still get WEN from time to time just only when i have the funds to do it :)

You're very welcome. :)

I've heard good things about WEN but never tried it.
If there's a Sally's Beauty Supply near you they have a WEN knockoff. I think it's called "Hair One."

If you really prefer to stick with WEN, maybe you could try the Sally's version?

WickedLady
March 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM
You're very welcome. :)

I've heard good things about WEN but never tried it.
If there's a Sally's Beauty Supply near you they have a WEN knockoff. I think it's called "Hair One."

If you really prefer to stick with WEN, maybe you could try the Sally's version?

I tried the sally's version about a few months ago and it ruined my hair. Had buildup even after clarifying. Made my hair really dry. I'll never try Hair One. But i guess it works for some and not for everyone.

WickedLady
March 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
I think i have found my regimine. Although i have to wait until i use up all of the swanson shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes its not always a good thing to use every product in the same line at the same time in teh same regimine. I'm deciding to use Aubrey organics honey suckle shampoo with Too Shea conditioner from Jessicurl.com and then the biotin shampoo with the aubrey organics conditioner. I will probably swtich it every month just so that each set has a change to wrok in. Going to do the acv rinses every time i wash my hair or 2 times a week along with the casteroil/grapeseed oil mix for massages. the only thing i have left to do is get my vitamins to include - ginkgo biloba, Vitamin D, Iron, and (multivitain) - maybe, going to talk to my aunt first. She is a homeopathic doctor. not sure about a leave in conditioner though any thoughts?

In2wishin
March 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
A couple of thoughts as I read the thread:

The only vitamin proven to be absorbed and utilised by the hair is panthenol (B5). Biotin is relatively useless in shampoo but many have found it helpful to take as a supplement.

The Swanson shampoo is filled with things I personally wouldn't use: propylene glycol, urea, and idopropynyl butylcarbonate among them.

I got my coconut oil from Swanson. They sell over a dozen different brands/types http://www.swansonvitamins.com/Search?keyword=Coconut+Oil&doSearch=true&ntt=coconut&n=0&ntk=Level1

The best all natural shampoo/conditioner I found is Kiss My Face Whenever

(I highlighted a few things. Tocopherol is Vitamin E. Guar is getting a lot of attention as being very conditioning for hair)

Shampoo INGREDIENTS:
Certified Organic Floral Water of Rosemary, Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Water, Infusion of Organic Herbs of Nettle, Olive Leaf, Calendula, Sage, Lavender, Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Olefin Sulfonate, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Sea Salt, Caprylic Acid, Glycine, Lavender Oil, Green Tea Extract, Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Lime Oil, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid

Conditioner INGREDIENTS:
Certified Organic Floral Waters of Lavender, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Water, Infusion of Certified Organic Herbs of Horsetail, Rose Hips, Lemon, Red Raspberry, Thyme, Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Certified Organic Jojoba Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Lavender Oil, Green Tea Extract, Certified Organic Sunflower Oil, Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Panthenol, Lime Oil, Caprylic Acid, Glycine, Guar, Potassium Sorbate,
Citric Acid

WickedLady
March 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
A couple of thoughts as I read the thread:

The only vitamin proven to be absorbed and utilised by the hair is panthenol (B5). Biotin is relatively useless in shampoo but many have found it helpful to take as a supplement.

The Swanson shampoo is filled with things I personally wouldn't use: propylene glycol, urea, and idopropynyl butylcarbonate among them.

I got my coconut oil from Swanson. They sell over a dozen different brands/types http://www.swansonvitamins.com/Search?keyword=Coconut+Oil&doSearch=true&ntt=coconut&n=0&ntk=Level1

The best all natural shampoo/conditioner I found is Kiss My Face Whenever

(I highlighted a few things. Tocopherol is Vitamin E. Guar is getting a lot of attention as being very conditioning for hair)

Shampoo INGREDIENTS:
Certified Organic Floral Water of Rosemary, Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Water, Infusion of Organic Herbs of Nettle, Olive Leaf, Calendula, Sage, Lavender, Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Olefin Sulfonate, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Sea Salt, Caprylic Acid, Glycine, Lavender Oil, Green Tea Extract, Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Lime Oil, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid

Conditioner INGREDIENTS:
Certified Organic Floral Waters of Lavender, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Water, Infusion of Certified Organic Herbs of Horsetail, Rose Hips, Lemon, Red Raspberry, Thyme, Certified Organic Aloe Vera, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Certified Organic Jojoba Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Lavender Oil, Green Tea Extract, Certified Organic Sunflower Oil, Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Panthenol, Lime Oil, Caprylic Acid, Glycine, Guar, Potassium Sorbate,
Citric Acid

what about aubrey organics or http://www.carolsdaughter.com/portal.aspx?CN=D66555B58DC0&BCID=4BA59AE67604 ? i find these have good ingredients

WickedLady
March 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I still planned on taking the biotin suplements as soon as my biotin / silica products are gone and just going to straight aubrey organics and now that i have looked at the ingredients for Kiss my face whenever I'm sold. How to only see how it does on my hair and i'm stoked cause this is one of teh ones at my whole foods store! :D. I have used jessicurl before though it does have the Urea however when i had longer hair my hair loved her products so not sure there and the other one that is my favorite and honestly has done justice for my hair is WEN Lavendar and Cucumber. Yes i know theres a cheaper brand called hair one and i have tried it. I'll never try it again i'll stick with teh actuall brand. however, i only get WEN when i can afford it otherwise i go with the cheaper brands that do just as good of a job.

Does the kiss my face have any ingredients that equal vitamins C, and B5?

In2wishin
March 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Does the kiss my face have any ingredients that equal vitamins C, and B5?

Panthenol IS B5

Lime oil and citric acid do many of the same things as vitaminC

I've never used Aubrey Organics but their ingredients look good. I have used Avalon Organics and really like their Lemon Clarifying shampoo.

My problem with urea is that it can break down into formaldehyde among other things and I am allergic to formaldehyde.

WickedLady
March 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Panthenol IS B5

Lime oil and citric acid do many of the same things as vitaminC

I've never used Aubrey Organics but their ingredients look good. I have used Avalon Organics and really like their Lemon Clarifying shampoo.

My problem with urea is that it can break down into formaldehyde among other things and I am allergic to formaldehyde.

ah ok gotcha. Well i thank you for bringing Kiss My Face to my attention :) as far as the avalon organics i was only goign to use the biotin thickening shampoo but not sure what to do with the swanson biotin w/silica to do with it now. Should i still use it or would it not really benefit me? Im sticking with Aubrey though and goign to try kiss my face. :) wonder if its ok to use the same line together or mix it?

The plus also that sold me on kiss my face was the amount for teh price omg love it.

In2wishin
March 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
ah ok gotcha. Well i thank you for bringing Kiss My Face to my attention :) as far as the avalon organics i was only goign to use the biotin thickening shampoo but not sure what to do with the swanson biotin w/silica to do with it now. Should i still use it or would it not really benefit me? Im sticking with Aubrey though and goign to try kiss my face. :) wonder if its ok to use the same line together or mix it?

The plus also that sold me on kiss my face was the amount for teh price omg love it.

My theory is that if a shampoo/conditioner is not actually harming your hair it would be a waste to not use it. What is bad for one person is wonderful for another so definitely use the Swanson if you like it.

As far as mixing brands and switching around ..... again, do whatever gives you the results you want.

WickedLady
March 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
i tried some of the kiss my face whatever shampoo and conditiioner and i gotta tell ya i want all the flavors its smells so good and my hair really likes it. we will see what it looks like still two months from now when my hair has a chance to get used to it. I still have to try the aubrey and the swanson woot cant wait.