PDA

View Full Version : Highlights

shockinglength
March 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
After alot of thought I have decided to get some highlights! :)
I've never dyed my hair. . . what are the different kinds of highlights I should get? Any tips/adivce will be most appriechiated. TIA

UltraBella
March 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Since you have never had highlights before, I suggest starting with something subtle. Just a shade or two lighter than your natural color maybe ? Foiled highlights are nice and they blend well, I have mine done several times a year. I always ask for them to be foiled very thin, no chunky highlights. That way if you don't want to maintain them, they grow out nicely and blend with your natural hair color well.

bigeyedgirl829
March 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM
How damaging is it to your hair?

shockinglength
March 8th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Since you have never had highlights before, I suggest starting with something subtle. Just a shade or two lighter than your natural color maybe ? Foiled highlights are nice and they blend well, I have mine done several times a year. I always ask for them to be foiled very thin, no chunky highlights. That way if you don't want to maintain them, they grow out nicely and blend with your natural hair color well.

Hmmm Ok, if it's subtle that means it wouldn't be really noticably, right? I want highlights that really add to the beauty of my hair, and are still noticable (but don't scream "Look at me") Does that make any sence?

How damaging is it to your hair?

I'm not sure . . . my hair right now is very healthy so I think it can take the abuse :p By maintaining my highlights I will only get them to touch up the roots.

bigeyedgirl829
March 8th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I've had highlights before (pre-LHC days) and loved the way my hair looked with them. If my damage grows out enough I might try the foil thing. I hope you find a good way to do yours!

Rocket22
March 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hmmm Ok, if it's subtle that means it wouldn't be really noticably, right? I want highlights that really add to the beauty of my hair, and are still noticable (but don't scream "Look at me") Does that make any sence?

I'm not sure . . . my hair right now is very healthy so I think it can take the abuse :p By maintaining my highlights I will only get them to touch up the roots.

No it would show it sounds exactly like what you are looking for. I was going to suggest the same thing but ran out of time, but I I would just go a few shades lighter than your natural hair

kwaniesiam
March 8th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Seconding all of this, except I don't highlight my own hair.

Kat Girl
March 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Not to be negative, but getting hilights was onw of the worst things I have done to my hair and I'm still paying for it. Granted my hair is fine and delicate, so the damage was worse, but still...never again. Anyway, the first time I did it, the stylist did thin subtle highlights. She used foils, did not leave the color in long, and did not use a toner. The result was some damage to my hair and the actual highlights were a really fake yellow (not blonde) color which I hated. (My natural hair is dark blonde so I wanted lighter blonde highlights). I waited a few months and then went again to another stylist. I tols her I wanted more highlights and I wanted them more blonde, not yellow. She gave me more, and she left the dye in much longer, then used a toner. I got the color I wanted, but my hair was way overprocessed and was a fried nightmare that is still waiting to grow out. The only positive thing that came of it was I discovered wen, and that has done wonders to help my hair. I would definitely recommend using that, weather you color or not, but especially if you do. Hopefully you won't have the same trauma I did, and I don't want to be discouraging, but I think you need a warning. If you proceed, do so with caution, and be very very picky about who you have do it. Make sure the stylist is someone you know and trust because it's very easy to mess up. Also if you can live without them, I would recommend that. Best of luck.

Flossy
March 8th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I keep my hair a medium blonde sort of colour with foils every 8 weeks. I love them, I get blonde and chocolate brown alternated to keep it natural.

My hair is in great condition, BTW. I give it heaps of moisture and stay away from the heat.

shockinglength
March 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM
No it would show it sounds exactly like what you are looking for. I was going to suggest the same thing but ran out of time, but I I would just go a few shades lighter than your natural hair

Hmm Ok I think I'll start out with that =) Thanks!

Not to be negative, but getting hilights was onw of the worst things I have done to my hair and I'm still paying for it. Granted my hair is fine and delicate, so the damage was worse, but still...never again. Anyway, the first time I did it, the stylist did thin subtle highlights. She used foils, did not leave the color in long, and did not use a toner. The result was some damage to my hair and the actual highlights were a really fake yellow (not blonde) color which I hated. (My natural hair is dark blonde so I wanted lighter blonde highlights). I waited a few months and then went again to another stylist. I tols her I wanted more highlights and I wanted them more blonde, not yellow. She gave me more, and she left the dye in much longer, then used a toner. I got the color I wanted, but my hair was way overprocessed and was a fried nightmare that is still waiting to grow out. The only positive thing that came of it was I discovered wen, and that has done wonders to help my hair. I would definitely recommend using that, weather you color or not, but especially if you do. Hopefully you won't have the same trauma I did, and I don't want to be discouraging, but I think you need a warning. If you proceed, do so with caution, and be very very picky about who you have do it. Make sure the stylist is someone you know and trust because it's very easy to mess up. Also if you can live without them, I would recommend that. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for the concern, but hair is very thick and healthy right now.....but kinda 'blah' lol I love my hair stylist and all of her work. I trust her!

I keep my hair a medium blonde sort of colour with foils every 8 weeks. I love them, I get blonde and chocolate brown alternated to keep it natural.

My hair is in great condition, BTW. I give it heaps of moisture and stay away from the heat.

It's great to know that some people still can have healthy hair with highlights. I only use heat once in a blue moon, and moister is my best friend ;)

jaine
March 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I used to get my hair highlighted my hair and my favorite was chunky peekaboo highlights...since it's not on the top layer of hair the growout line isn't nearly as noticeable and I liked it because it looked bolder and more contrasty than thin foils - and I also liked still looking like a dark-haired person on the surface of my hair. With overall "lighten everything up" effect I wasn't as happy with it and didn't feel like "me."

I stopped doing it though because after the 3rd time highlighing, my hair felt damaged (the last one was probably too light for what my hair could handle).

Fufu
March 8th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I like highlights :) I think the hair looks much more natural with just hairdye on the whole hair, especially when the natural hair colour grows out.

You can also try lowlights too, some information on lowlights
http://www.essortment.com/hair-coloring-lowlights-59207.html

article on highlights with pics
http://styles101.homestead.com/haircolor5.html

papillion
March 9th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I'm currently growing out highlights. The one important thing, I would say, is to bear in mind that if you don't like them, you need to think of a way to deal with them while you get rid of them. Hopefully, you'll like what you have done, but being stuck with them and not being able to get rid of them easily is really horrible.