PDA

View Full Version : How often do you dust your hair?

MissHair
June 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
How often do you dust your hair for split ends? I think Im obsessed with it, I sleep with a scissor and comb next to my bed (Yeah I know I shouldnt be touching scissors like my signature says, but the mini-dusting trims works fine), I do it as soon as Ive got nothing to do or when I watch TV or before I go to sleep.

One thing Ive noticed though is that dusting really works, my mom said it dosnt work and that if you wanna get rid of split ends then you need big chops, but my hair is so much smoother when I do dusting.

Saranne772
June 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I do it every day. I cant seem to get rid of the splits and they drive me crazy

justgreen
June 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I dust once a year, in October. I very rarely do S&D, I keep diluted conditioner on my ends after every washing. I have few split ends.

ETA: Need to clarify the above statement. To me a dusting is a very minor hair trim. I do this only to softly shape up my 'u'.

FrannyG
June 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Dusting does work. Having said that, you must make sure that you have a good, sharp pair of barber scissors.

I try to keep my sessions down to once a week. I could get really obsessive if I allowed myself :)

ladystar
June 12th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Oh I can get obsessive also lol. I use to this while driving (stopped at a light, Bad bad bad me i know I am nutz) Anyway I stopped that now I do it at work Any better? I think not! I slowed down on that also. I usually do it on the weekends when I am at home.

Delenn
June 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
For dusting or S&D my answer is "rarely to never." I have so much hair that 15-20 clipped ends isn't going to do much for me. I do micro trims every so often as needed, maybe twice a year tops.

HotRag
June 12th, 2008, 09:45 AM
When I had long hair in the 90's I used to S&D through all of my hair 4 times per year.
Took 40 hours per time = 160 h per year.

Now I have just started igain. I have had shoulder to APL since I cut the long, and trimmed rather often made it not need S&D.
But I will try S&D now and then and try to not get as obsessed as before.
I find it rather meditative (right word?) to do, but hours can run away to quick.

Alaskanheart
June 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I do it every couple of months and it takes me a few days to complete. I make like 20 sections and try to search through every hair.Not 24 hours a day, but more like 1-2-3 hours, I can really obsess, and I usually only stop because my arm starts to cramp.

It does help , but it is very important to only cut one hair at a time, straight across, and with very sharp barber scissors.Never use those scissors for anything else.If you use a blunt scissor and cut slanted more harm than help will occur.

jojo
June 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I have started doing a monthly dusting, just taking this much - off. I do the odd s&d but it sends me cross eyed after a while, I now prefer doing a dusting and even with that little teeny bit my hair feel better too!

MissHair
June 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah I only do one hair at a time, with a thin barber scissor. WOW dusting while driving sounds dangerous haha. Thanks for the tips on how to cut.

ladystar
June 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Oh yeah I only do one hair at a time, with a thin barber scissor. WOW dusting while driving sounds dangerous haha. Thanks for the tips on how to cut.

yea my bf would get pissed off at me. I me the car wasn't moving lol but still.

memee1978
June 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
i dust a few times a month:cool:

eadwine
June 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I have it dusted every 21 weeks or so. S&D, when I think about it, maybe once every month?

Islandgrrl
June 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I've never dusted and I don't S&D. I think I don't because I don't see very well close up (need those reading glasses desperately!!!) and I'm also afraid I'll screw things up.

Bamagirl308
February 9th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I am just a newborn in all of this I have been a destroyer of my hair for years. Now at the ripe old age of 61 I feel the need to be good to my hair in hopes it will renew itself and give me long and beautiful hair again.

Islandgrrl
February 9th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I dust whenever my ends don't feel nice...usually a couple times a year. I don't S&D at all, I don't tend to get splits.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 9th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I never dust or S & D, I just don't seem to get split ends. I do a small trim once every 1 or two years. (Usually one or two inches).

ExpectoPatronum
February 9th, 2014, 02:43 PM
This thread reminded me I should do a little dusting :)

I typically do it whenever my ends feel like they need it. They'll start to feel really dry and stick together. If clarifying and chelating a few times doesn't take care of the problem, I dust. This happens every 3-4 months. I'll also dust my layers even though I'm growing them out since I feel giving them a bit of a dusting helps them look better with my hair. That gets done around the same time I dust my length.

Nadine <3
February 9th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I don't get many splits and I've never seen a white dot in my hair...ever. I could count the number of splits I've found on one hand. I trim maybe once a year. When I used to go to the salon to get it done I would say "take off any damage or split ends" and she would look and say "there isn't any" lol

spidermom
February 9th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Another old thread arises from the dead and zombies around the forum.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Doesn't matter if it's an old thread as long as it's helping people here and giving them the info they need :)

kganihanova
February 9th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Every two months/when it needs it. Dusting has helped me cut out my layers slowly and evenly :)