PDA

View Full Version : Cones and moisture (a stupid question)

jenjen10
March 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM
For some reason, my brain cannot wrap around this concept (despite being on this board for however many years!) so I need to ask...

I think my hair likes cones... I seem to get more damage when I cut them out but I don't understand how conditioning and oiling works if I use cones. Since the cones coat the hair, does the moisture still get absorbed??

Example: I wash my hair and apply something with cones in it. I only wash my hair twice per week so the next day I go to style my hair... if I use coconut oil or a leave-in conditioner on my ends, will it do anything?

Could someone clear this up for me?

excentricat
March 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM
As long as you keep the buildup down, it should still help. They don't coat every hair with an impenetrable barrier from root to tip. If you're washing with SLS, and relatively light cones, there's a fair chance that you only have 1 application's worth of cones at any one time anyway.

Remember, do whatever your hair likes best.

Anje
March 8th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I agree with Eccentricat. Cones are semi-permeable to water usually, and they shouldn't form a totally impenetrable coating over your hair. So moisture, oil, all that stuff should still get to the hair and be absorbed. If the silicone builds up too much, well, then they won't absorb and you'll be noting that you don't get any benefit from products any longer and must need to clarify.

spidermom
March 8th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I agree with the above. Something I've found that my hair responds well to is apply oil to damp ends, then follow with my coney serum (CHI Silk Infusion).