PDA

View Full Version : Ugh... hating my hair. Need encouragement

jenjen10
March 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I am in an awkward phase with my hair right now (up-do's aren't working, my bangs look icky, I cut really bad "layers" into my sides... just a general mess! LOL) and am really questioning whether having long hair is worth these phases of feeling like I look like sh!t.

I don't know if that makes sense or not.... I really want to see how long I can get my hair and still have it look healthy. I know that I need to avoid dyes, heat, etc to get there but I don't feel "pretty" at all during some of these phases... it is still worth it? I hope this makes sense. Thanks for letting me rant for a bit!

BusyBeeMommy
March 8th, 2011, 08:03 AM
We're all there at some point or another! I'm deeply regretting my decision to chop my past-shoulder-length hair into a cute flippy just-past-chin length layered mess (don't get me wrong it looked nice at the time, but now its just a pain in the hind end.)

Try looking into a few fun updos you can do to "hide" the parts that are choppy. Or as a worst case, I'd go to a professional and see if he/she can make the layers a little neater and have them blend in.

Big hugs and remember "This too shall pass!"

CarpeDM
March 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Well from your siggy pic, your hair looks awesome. Soooo, with that being said, maybe you just need a little trim from a stylist that can even out your layers and work with your bangs. I wouldn't chop it while you are in a hair funk!

enfys
March 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Are the updos that aren't working ones that used to? Sometimes an inch difference can mean your go-to just doesn't work. I'm at the point where my ends in a nautilus are slipping down and out, so I need to find an alternative everyday style (hello, Gibraltar bun!).

Your bangs and layers...could they be rolled into 1940s style pin curls? When I was growing mine out that was a great look as it seemed intentional. Prettier than just pinning them straight back too. There are some good videos on Youtube.

If you really think hair at X" will look pretty, then yes, it is worth it. I know, having been there, that my hair at classic+ looks and feels preittier than any other length. You don't have that experince as far as I can tell so it is all in your gut. If you think it will be worth it then it is worth it.

Bad hair days and not feeling pretty happen to everyone, regardless of hair health or length.

jenjen10
March 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Bad hair days and not feeling pretty happen to everyone, regardless of hair health or length.

What is so frustrating is I would swear that my hair is getting worse these days... I am finding splits EVERYWHERE and the ends just feel so brittle. I think it is because it is getting long enough to have mechanical damage (despite me trying to put it up... but I think the up-dos are causing damage as well). I feel like I can't win. ((sigh))

spidermom
March 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM
If you really want long hair, it's worth wading through the bad times. It sounds like it's time for a little trim, which can make a world of difference.

I was tempted to cut back so many times, but I'm glad I stuck to trims because I'm so happy with my super-long hair.

knoxkatie
March 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
if that is your hair in your signature pic then i think it looks great! the texture looks similar to mine except yours is longer and healthier.

have you tried deep conditioning or a SMT? if that doesn't work maybe you could do some S&D and just get a trim?

jojo
March 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM
This is the thing with growing long hair but I promise you, just put it up and obsess about something else and in a few months time you will feel happier about your hair. Ive lost count the amount of times ive been disheartened by my hair but I am always glad I stuck it out. Maybe a teeny trim may make you feel differently or a deep conditioning treatment.