PDA

View Full Version : Disney World Hair

Blueneko
June 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I am taking my very first trip to Disney World in 2 weeks! :D

I need some help with Disney hair ideas. I am just past APL and my 3 year old is hip. Are ponytails and braids sufficient? Do people put sunscreen in their hair? Are hats best? I am NOT a sun person, so this will be an experience, to say the least.

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Wear it up. No doubt about that. For the love of god, wear it up. xD

Don't put sunscreen in because I've read they don't do much for hair. OBVIOUSLY wear it yourself; if you're as fair as your photo implies, you're going to need it. Get at least SPF 50. D: But not higher than 75 because they don't work any better according to my reading.

To protect your hair you can add a leave-in or some oil. Braiding would probably be best, or a segmented ponytail.

cindy58
June 12th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Oh, you're gonna have some fun! And while you're taking a break, the people-watching is pretty interesting too.

Be prepared for lots of heat, so however you wear your hair when you're hot and busy will work. Yes, hats are a good idea. Don't forget the sunscreen for your skin. I have never put sunscreen in my hair.

Last time I went, I had a few special hair clips or barrettes that I wore. I like sparkles. It seems to fit the Disney theme too. One of my favorites was a pirate skull and crossbones claw thingy that I fastened over an elastic at the nape. This photo was taken at the Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom (yummy breakfast buffet).
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/hardercy/pirateclipresize.jpg

One Disney thing I'd like to try is the Bibbity-Bobbity (sp?) Boutique at Downtown Disney. You can be made up like a princess (hair and makeup) and have photos taken. I asked the lady the age range they did, and she said, "we prefer them to be at least 3" and I said, no, I wanted to do it! She said they did adults too. The results we saw walking out were fabulous and looked like so much fun. You and your daughter should do it together!

I found the link to the boutique, you can watch someone being done.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/moreMagic/shoppingDetail?id=BibbidiBobbidiBoutiquePage&bhcp=1

lora410
June 12th, 2008, 09:05 AM
You going to the one here in FL? if you are lets just say if you can, braid it and pull it under a hat. The heat and humidy here is insane. I would prob suggest doing a light oiling so the sun won't fry your hair.

k_hepburn
June 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
If you're planning on going on any rides, please be safety conscious about your hair. Make sure it cannot get caught in the machinery. My suggestion would be, for both you and your little one, to french braid, then double up the braid so it's reduced to half in length. If you are planning on wearing hats, make sure they (a) won't fall off on the kind of rides you're planning on going on, (b) don't have any straps or any other attachments that could injure you if the hat gets caught in something (same thing applies to clothing, bags etc.).

Other than that: have loads of fun!

katharine

lulabelle
June 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I'm going to Disney in CA today! :D I'm wearing my hair in 2 braids, with a hat and shea buttered ends. A ponytail might not be contained enough, it could end up in a huge rat's nest after a few rides. I highly recommend a hat, it will help keep you and dd cool and keep the sun out of your eyes, with the added bonus of protecting your scalp. Have fun!

Blueneko
June 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I will oil, french braid and wear a hat.

My 3 year old has an appointment at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique on July 1. :) I will take TONS of phots and share, share, share!

1MegMeg
June 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Welcome to our fun city! I live about 30 minutes (on the other side of Orlando) from Disney. I'll just echo what everyone else said - definitely wear your hair totally up and off your neck. It is *very* hot here. And the sunscreen comments also bear repeating. The UV index is consistently 10+, please get a high SPF photostable sunscreen while you are here. Also, while you are at the parks drink plenty of fluids and be aware of the symptoms of heat exhuastion.

Have tons of fun! Your first trip will be fantastic! :)

Florida Mom
June 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Have fun while you are here!

I actually do put sunscreen on the scalp where the part is in my kids' hair. Otherwise they burn there.

And yes wear your hair and her hair entirely up. Hats are good, but they do get lost on rides, so remember to take them off while riding. But keep your hair secured!

Oberon88
June 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I wish I could find the photo of me at disney land last year. We went for grad night, and like an idiot, I left my hair down (though it was shorter) even here in california the humidity was obnoxious and I had a really awful time with my frizzy hair. We did get some amusing photos out of the deal though.

So I would suggest braiding, and a hat for when you arent on rides.

Sherri
June 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM
you are getting some great advise and i just want to add have tons of fun:)

bex487
June 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I would apply sunscreen on the part of my hair (if you're not brushing it straight back). I always burn there, and scalp peelies are never fun!

centurytoolate
June 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I don't have any advice other than have fun. I haven't been there since I was 8.

I have to ask Cindy58, where did you get the skull and crossbones clip? I love it!

cindy58
June 12th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hi, centurytoolate, I bought the pirate clip in the photo from ebay seller estzone. He doesn't have any listed right now, but check back. It also comes in other colors. He has nice quality items. It was around $13 or so I think.

I also ordered one of these from another seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Pink-Austrian-Crystal-Skull-Hair-Clip-Claw-Cool_W0QQitemZ300231238754QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11062 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

From the photos, it appeared very similar to the one from estzone, but when it arrived, it is definitely a smaller size clip. Still cute considering the price difference.

I didn't have any problems with the shipment coming from China, but it does take some time, around 3 weeks if I remember correctly.

Blueneko, I hope you & daughter have a wonderful time at the BB Boutique! The photos on the site I found don't come close to how great the girls looked when they come out! They really do a marvelous job with the hair and makeup.

shellblue1
June 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Definitely wear it up! Even if you wear it down, it is so hot and humid this time of year in Florida you will end up putting it up anyway! I went last November and it was really hot even then. I just wore mine in a ponytail or twisted it up.

kwaniesiam
June 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM
French braids if you can, that way its up and out of the way, but theres no ponytail bump for when you go on rides. Have fun, and make sure to take tons of pics! I've never been there, it sounds awesome :D