PDA

View Full Version : Updo Reactions

squintinschool
March 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
How do people react to your choice in updos?

I came home tonight, and my mom commented that my hair looked "old fashioned" and that I was "ready for ballet", with the bun below.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6883&pictureid=97755

I don't like my hair messy (even that bun has too many wispies for my taste, but such is life with thick, layered, APL+ hair) but apparently having a neat updo, especially if it is a bun, is not stylish.

My sister loves the messy bun on the crown of your head look (which is apparently in), but I could never stand it, as even the below bun hits my "its not neat" button.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6883&pictureid=97704

On the other hand, non-family members tend to be awed at the fact that I can do braids/complicated looking buns.

jaine
March 7th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I don't usually get reactions on my updos, sadly!!

Except for two people who thought I cut it back to a pixie when they saw me putting it up for the first time since my pixie cut. "Did you cut your hair or is it just up?" and "Nice haircut!! Don't you love having it short again?"

Madora
March 7th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Years ago someone asked me if all the braids in my style were my own.

The standard question is: how long did it take you to do that?!

Lianna
March 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Since my hair is very short, I don't have many options, but I wear updos 90% of the time, on a land 90% of the women wear it down (and long!). Fortunally, nobody comments on my updos. Sometimes my mom says something nice, but I know she prefers it down. I just have so much hair I need to wear it up or I'd melt!

I wear this bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7001&pictureid=94875) a lot, and sock buns as my two main styles.

nliedel
March 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM
You're an oddity in the world of change. Just smile and say you're happy with it, and it's important to be happy. Kiss and mom guilt, "You know mom your love helped me reach goal. Thank you.

My mother in aw clams up right away. She cutes hair, but my careful back with honest compliments woks,so far.

spidermom
March 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I don't remember ever getting a comment, good or bad, on an up-do (other than here, of course). I do like my buns on the messy side, though, to differentiate them from the stereotypical granny bun. I get compliments on braids. I think the style that has gotten the most compliments (other than here) has been a single french braid down the back.

gossamer
March 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
One day, I had double dutch braids held up in a Chinese bun. A friend asked me "Did your boyfriend do your hair for you?" Bahaha.

AnnaJamila
March 7th, 2011, 08:31 PM
DH always compliments me whenever I do something with my hair, but I'm not really sure he likes the hair; he was just raised to know when your wife/sister/mother/daughter does something different with her appearance you need to say something! :p

manderly
March 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM
No one every notices or comments on my updos. One girl in my office compliments my curls every so often.

Sabayon
March 7th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I wear this bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7001&pictureid=94875) a lot, and sock buns as my two main styles.

That bun is awesome! I can't believe how you managed to make a bun for sl hair look like so much hair. When my hair was that length I always thought my buns looked really skimpy.

HintOfMint
March 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Meh, I'm used to being considered uptight and old fashioned, so neat updos are pretty par for the course for me.

Just enjoy standing out.

Fufu
March 7th, 2011, 08:51 PM
As long as you like it, other people opposite comments wont matter. I like your updos. Though for me personally on my own hair, I like my updos a little on the messy side, I cant take neat updos very well.

summerjade
March 7th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Wow!! Both those updos are gorgeous!! Wearing hair up never goes out of style. You could never look bad with hair like that. I am trying to practice and find updos that look good on me right now. I love your hair!! Keep wearing your hair the way you like, its beautiful.

Cirafly24
March 7th, 2011, 08:53 PM
People don't normally comment on my updos unless I do something super intricate. Once in a while someone will compliment my hairtoy, or ask me how I did my bun, but it's rare.

gthlvrmx
March 7th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Everytime i wear my hair differently, people comment. 1)I am a male, 2) I am in high school. I get a range of comments, good or bad, but i usually just listen to my closest friends, even then i wont follow what they tell me :P Mah hair is mah hair. Only my closest best friend can tell me things and i'll be impulsed by her to abide to her suggestions, and she rarely says anything bad about my updos. But yes, i get plenty of comments every week actually, kind of annoying because i just want to wear my hair up neatly and NOT notice it anymore and leave it be instead of thinking about it every 30 minutes.

Lianna
March 8th, 2011, 01:22 AM
That bun is awesome! I can't believe how you managed to make a bun for sl hair look like so much hair.

Oh, dear. :D It's just really a loop spread out with hairsticks. My loop is very thick, so it doesn't look like it's just a loop.

Sundial
March 8th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I have been getting a couple of reactions:

1. Some friends/family asked if I had put on weight when I hadn't. They were too used to seeing me with hair around my face and having my hair out of my face seemed to give them the illusion that I have gained some weight. Not that I mind since that would mean they will quit bugging me to eat more.

2. My sisters and my mum are intrigued by the styles. They spend a couple of minutes looking at my buns whenever they see something new, and my mum has been asking me to help her put her hair up.

3. Not so much the updo as the hairtoys - 2 friends have been asking me where I get my hairtoys from and they have started their own Flexi8 collection :o

lajsa
March 8th, 2011, 02:51 AM
My dear family always comments that my buns look either like I'm a member of the special christian church here called Laestadians (since they apparently wear buns and scarves over their hair or something. I don't know, I'm not interested enough to find out...) or like I'm a cleaning lady. It's so nice to be appreciated by your family. No wonder I have such great self esteem when everything I do is stupid, apparently.

Vorvolaka
March 8th, 2011, 03:05 AM
My mum just tends to moan that I'm wearing my hair in a bun again.

*shrugs* I like it.

Twarg
March 8th, 2011, 03:10 AM
My Dad's always said to me he likes my hair up in a bun. *Shrugs* The general reaction I get around the place is that people find it interesting and.. I dunno how else to put it, but almost like its an artsy skill or something?

Twarg
March 8th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I'm a bit shocked at how many peoples family have kinda less than nice things to say about their hair styles :/

Toadstool
March 8th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Your top bun looks really pretty!

Twarg
March 8th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Everytime i wear my hair differently, people comment. 1)I am a male, 2) I am in high school. I get a range of comments, good or bad, but i usually just listen to my closest friends, even then i wont follow what they tell me :P Mah hair is mah hair. Only my closest best friend can tell me things and i'll be impulsed by her to abide to her suggestions, and she rarely says anything bad about my updos. But yes, i get plenty of comments every week actually, kind of annoying because i just want to wear my hair up neatly and NOT notice it anymore and leave it be instead of thinking about it every 30 minutes.

My brother grew his hair out to shoulder length when he was about 18, then was scared to cut it because it'd be such a change. He used to get 'you should cut your hair' all the time, which made him really conscious of it and as much as he wanted to put his hair up, often just because of the heat or for a change or something, he was scared he'd be then picked on for having it in a pony tail or a bun. :(

Just wanted to say it's nice to know you let most peoples comments roll off your back. As you said, its your hair to do with what you want. Comments can be way more damaging than people seem to think.

Pierre
March 8th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I went to the chiropractor's office the other day with the two braids' ends clipped to each other's bases, instead of each braid folded into a bunlet. "You cut your hair!" exclaimed the receptionist. No I didn't - I turned around to show her. "Did you do that in a mirror?" No, I just did each one down the side. I also showed her the Flexis, but her hair is too short for them.

CarpeDM
March 8th, 2011, 06:52 AM
It is funny because I actually get the opposite comments. Only when I wear my hair down do I ever get any comments or compliments from people. People always tell me they like my hair down more than up?!

selderon
March 8th, 2011, 06:55 AM
DH apparently likes my hair up. He comments that it makes my face look slimmer and that I'm "not a short hair person". I loved my short hair and thought it looked great.

MaiCarInMtl
March 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
People don't really comment about my hair other than my husband - He likes it when I have it down at home (so he can play with it) so he belly aches a bit or sighs when he goes to play with my hair only to notice it's up. Otherwise though, whatever I do to my hair, he likes it, often telling me that my side ponytails are cute. I've told him I'll teach him how to braid my hair - he's willing to learn. The only time he said something even slightly negative was this one time I did 2 buns (one above the other) and he said I looked Amish or like a Quaker (something of the sort). He got an annoyed look from me but I took it out since I wasn't feeling too hot about it anyway.

I do remember a co-worker where I used to work (she had amazing curly, naturally red hair) saw me go in my office with my hair down and come out later with a French braid. She asked how I was able to do it on my own. I took a few minutes that week to give her a quick demo so she could try it out herself. It worked and she was happy because she never really had any options for putting her hair up other than her usual mini hair clips.

elbow chic
March 8th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I think updos often definitely look "old fashioned" but I don't consider that a bad thing at all.

When is the last time most American women had hair long enough for a braided bun? 1910? :p It's all been downhill from there, folks. (in my best George Carlin voice)

Lielananna
March 8th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I usually don't get any comments when my hair is up in a bun. Every once in a while DH will comment and say that he really likes my hair in a certain bun. I only really get comments on my hair when I wear it down, which is generally "your hair is so long..." type of comments, or when its in braids down my back which is generally a combination of the hair down comments and "how long did that take you to do?" type.

I think the only comments I've gotten from my family is my mom telling me she's envious that I know so many different ways of wearing my hair since all she knew was wearing it down when her's was hip length (which is the one of the main reasons she cut it short) and my aunt a few years ago constantly telling me that a single English braid was her favorite hairstyle that I wore.

enfys
March 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Most people know me for about four years minimum before they comment on my hair. I have had a couple of comments on hair forks in uni, but none on styles. One friend said my hair was "obviously long because of (my) massively huge bun". I like that.

Braided styles get more attention than buns, but buns are quicker and easier. I think a change of hairstyle gets more comments that the style itself. For example, if I re-do my hair to go out with my friends, that will get a comment where turning up with it down in the same style already wouldn't have.

People are more impressed that I am able to put my hair up in different ways quickly.

Carolyn
March 8th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I don't get comments or reactions on my hair up or down :shrug: I think the last comment I got was a couple years ago. A woman at a county fair said she liked my hair do. It was in some kind of a bun that day. I don't think anyone I know is interested enough in hair to notice or comment about it. People where I live don't tend to compliment each other much. Wouldn't want to "spoil" someone with compliments ya know! I like my buns as messy as possible. I love wispies and escaping hairs. I try really hard to get them to escape but they just won't do it. I like my hair to look like I just wadded it up and stick something in it to keep it up. It's hard to manage that which straightish, silky hair.

freckles
March 8th, 2011, 09:10 AM
A couple of observations ...

1. Most of the people in my life think that 'up' is 'up', and rarely notice one bun over another. They see my face, hair pulled back, no dangling hair visible at the front, and every style that looks like this is the same to them, they don't notice whether it's a braided bun, or a lazy wrap, whether I'm using spin pins or a large hairstick, whether I have a massive bun or a small bun. I'm not complaining about this, I'm actually quite happy that my hair doesn't get so much attention. One time when I wore a braid and hadn't in a while, a friend said to me, "you changed your hair today!". I just said yeah, but I kind of wanted to say "I change my hair everyday! It's been in a different style every day this week!"

2. Round here, there seems to be a generation rift about updos. My grandma thinks that hair up is beautiful, but people my own age (if they wear their hair up at all) wear hair up to go to work or Uni or do sport or stay at home because it's easy, but wouldn't wear hair up to a party or clubbing or a date. If I'm at Uni with my hair neatly up, very few people think it's odd, they just think it's because I like it out of the way to work or whatever. But if I go to a party or a bar, I am often the only person there with my hair up, because 'doing' your hair to look nice down is the fashionable thing. I've largely given up on being fashionable!

3. When I first learned to use hairsticks, I felt self conscious wearing hairsticks outside my house because I thought people might think it looked weird, or that I was appropriating asian culture (I know hairsticks have roots in all sorts of cultures ... but I don't expect most people outside of LHC to know that!), or that I was being overly showy. I preferred to wear braids, because other people wore them. But I have never received a comment about wearing hairsticks from anyone other than people close to me, so now I don't even think about putting them in in the morning. I genuinely think most people don't even notice, or don't care, what my hair does. Now, I worry about wearing double buns, or a crown braid, or pigtails, outside the house, because people might judge me -- but most likely, if I did, nobody would notice. I notice hair, so it's kind of weird to me that nobody else seems to unless it's down. But it's pretty liberating, too.

tinti
March 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
When I had one lenght hair and could do braids and stuff (ok, not too much, my hair was BSL but I still had more options than I have now) and I did braided updos or whatever to bitthday partys with my family (who's hair-crazy, 2 is hairdressers and then there's me:p) I allways got a lot of nice compliments on my updos and "braiding skill". Once I did a half up with two Dutch braids that I had combined into one and everyone was all "How did you do that?!" hehe.

einna
March 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I only know two buns so far, the messy bun and the sock bun. My SO dosent like my sock bun, he said it looked like "granny hair". But he has never commented on my messy bun in a big pink scrunchy, that I recently started wearing at home, soo I`m not really distressed, haha.
I only hope its just the sock bun, and not buns in general he dosent like...

jojo
March 8th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Ive called a "fuddy duddy" but mainly my buns get positive attention. I wear a different hair stick to work and people normally say they like them. Though one incident where a younger girl, who I can' stand anyway said why do you always wear a bun? I hate buns! I just replied well I like them!

Calanthe
March 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I don't get any. Reactions, I mean. When I have to re-do a style because it came down(ish) during the day people may wonder that I don't need a mirror or a brush/comb to re-do it.

wvgemini
March 8th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I don't get too many comments other than one friend in my building who will notice from time to time and tell me my hair looks pretty :flower: I like that.

eshta
March 8th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Every so often someone complements/notices my hair toys, decorated sticks and forks are kind of unusual around here I guess. Buns or braid not so much. Most people close to me only notice my hair when it down but that's because I wear it up or contained 99% of the time.

noelgirl
March 8th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I usually do ponytails or half-ups for work, but one day I had left my hair in its bun from dance class and a coworker seemed disappointed that my hair wasn't "flowing" as usual. Another time, I was getting carded buying some wine, and my hair is down in my license picture but it was in a bun that night. The cashier asked, "Where did all that beautiful hair go?" I told him it was just up, and he made me turn around to show him!

heidihug
March 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I've only had one comment on my hair while it was up in the past year, and that was when a co-worker was walking down the stairwell in back of me, and said, "I wish I could do pretty updos with my hair!" She had her shoulder-length hair up in a cute, stubby little pony, and I said, "But you do!" with a smile.

Other than that, people are just utterly oblivious about my hair. Up is completely out of sight for most people around here as short (shoulder-length and up) hair is the norm. If it's not down, it can't possibly be long, right? ;)

Rosalaun
March 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
My mum hates my hair up - about once a week or so she'll tell me to stop tying it up and wear it down, straightened (because apparently my naturally slightly-wavy hair looks too 'scruffy' to wear natural 0.o). However one of my teachers mentioned that she quite likes seeing what I've done differently to my hair every time she sees me, and my friends often stop me to ask how I've done certain things. I went to the hair dressers a few days ago and one of them seemed amazed by the dutch crown braid I was wearing xD

Lemur_Catta
March 8th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Two years ago I had my hair up in a single bun, but all you could see from the front was my fringe and my chin length face framing layers, and from a distance it looked like I had cut my hair in a bob. A friend of mine walked towards me and when he got closer he said he had been afraid I had cut my hair, and was glad I hadn't :D

Generally people don't comment much on my hair when it's up, especially because most people see me with my hair mostly up, except my family and boyfriend.
My hair is generally up or in a braid when I practice Tae Kwon Do, so one time when I arrived at the gym with my hair down (I was going to put it up there because I had been in a hurry) people commented on how long and straight it was :D It happens every time I wear my hair down or in a ponytail there, which is not often of course.
My friends at uni mostly see my hair up, but they don't really care about the styles. One of them is a guy, he has curly hair and often asks me for advice, but only about shampoo and hair care not updos :)

Dina L.
March 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I just mentioned my boyfriend today, that I haven't seen a nice bun here in Budapest for ages. The usual hairdo is let down or worn in a pony tail. Very boring. Also the longest hair I saw was midback-length. :(

RavennaNight
March 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I've had someone ask me if my braided bun was a clip-on-bun from the beauty supply store. Even though she knew, and acknowledged, that I have really long hair. :confused:

DH calls me "Teacher!" He doesn't like my hair up at all. Neither do I, but sometimes situations just don't allow loose happy hair.

I usually don't get comments about updos otherwise.

babybabycat
March 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
My neighbor's kids started asking me to french braid their hair. When they see me in the back yard I usually hear them call my name, begging for braids. I guess they like my hair-dos!

Jeno86
March 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Everytime I put my hair up I get "you cut your hair". :confused: But then again, the woman that tells me this is a bit off.

Kathie
March 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I’ve only every had my boyfriend comment my hairsticks... both times it was because I was only wearing one stick instead of two: “Oh, just one stick today” It shows that he’s quietly noticing.

But, I’ve caught a co-working looking intriguingly at wrap bun I had done... but she didn’t say anything :shrug:

charalito
March 8th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I've gotten the "granny hair" comment as well while wearing a sock bun. It was a male coworker I don't see often and I shrugged and dismissed the comment... Guess he doesn't have eyes for all the lovely hairbuns at awards and fashion shows.

Shany
March 8th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I get lots of compliments from my classmates when I do a laced dutch braid headband (once behind my ear, I finish it with an english braid). DBF hates buns (granny hair comment) and flexi-8s :( . He prefers my hair down, in half-ups, in a simple ponytail or braided. At waist length, I'm going to wear it in a bun at work anyway.

gthlvrmx
March 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM
My brother grew his hair out to shoulder length when he was about 18, then was scared to cut it because it'd be such a change. He used to get 'you should cut your hair' all the time, which made him really conscious of it and as much as he wanted to put his hair up, often just because of the heat or for a change or something, he was scared he'd be then picked on for having it in a pony tail or a bun. :(

Just wanted to say it's nice to know you let most peoples comments roll off your back. As you said, its your hair to do with what you want. Comments can be way more damaging than people seem to think.

ohhhh thats not nice :( i really dont like that modern view of how men "should" have their hair. I mean really, in the end its just hair! Only a few nhundred years ago, men wore long cujrly locksm wigs for heavan sakes, and with colorful white ribbons to display their high position. I did the xact same thing as your brother though inj middle school, i never let it get past my shoulders because i was so afraid of beiung teased after being told so many negative things constantly but now i just don't care and enjoy their jealousy, and my family has grown to love it more. Im sure if he just lets go and be happy with his own choices people around him will catch on to thayt and be happy too :D if he does still have long hair or wants to :P

Sheltie_Momma
March 8th, 2011, 07:01 PM
You're an oddity in the world of change. Just smile and say you're happy with it, and it's important to be happy. Kiss and mom guilt, "You know mom your love helped me reach goal. Thank you.

My mother in aw clams up right away. She cutes hair, but my careful back with honest compliments woks,so far.

Brilliant!

Twarg
March 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
2. Round here, there seems to be a generation rift about updos. My grandma thinks that hair up is beautiful, but people my own age (if they wear their hair up at all) wear hair up to go to work or Uni or do sport or stay at home because it's easy, but wouldn't wear hair up to a party or clubbing or a date. If I'm at Uni with my hair neatly up, very few people think it's odd, they just think it's because I like it out of the way to work or whatever. But if I go to a party or a bar, I am often the only person there with my hair up, because 'doing' your hair to look nice down is the fashionable thing. I've largely given up on being fashionable!

I too have noticed this! I've mostly given up on fashion as well. A new dress now and then is about as far as I'll extend it, and to be honest, if you look nice and well put-together, then the fashion doesn't matter anyway.

I think up-dos can look really elegant and sophisticated. You see more up-dos in up-market cocktail bars around here than you do at nightclubs designed for people in their early 20's.

Yamainu
March 9th, 2011, 07:22 AM
My husband always notices and comments - he loves it when my hair's up (he says it makes me look elegant) and he's pretty vocal about which styles he prefers over others.

No one else notices. :(

Actually, I got my first comment just last week; a girl sitting behind us in church said my hair looked really pretty! I was ecstatic. It was just a buned rope braid, held with a flexi, but my husband pointed out that the vast majority of people around here've probably never even SEEN a rope braid, much less know how to do one, so it looks way more complicated than an english braided bun would be.