PDA

View Full Version : Ends breaking off from brushing

BeachBabe91
March 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
The other day, my hair became extremely tangled from being outside in the wind and just from basically existing. :? It really tangles into awful clumps around the nape of my neck (my hair falls into the mid- back/BSL category), and is overall quite damaged from dyes, etc, in the past. So anyway, I noticed the extreme tangles and clumps my hair was gathering in, and frustratedly brushed it out with a brush. I noticed afterward how many broken ends came flying off. :(
Do you think it's counterproductive to not cut my hair, yet expect it to get longer after the ends keep breaking? I am strictly against any sort of trims as I am growing my hair long. Of course once I reach my goal and can "afford" to lose an inch or two, I'll get rid of some of the dry ends...
Sorry for ranting :P

spidermom
March 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Each can choose as she or he wishes, of course. I got lots and lots of trims while I was growing out my hair from pixie length because I can't tolerate how snarly the ends get with damage - like Velcro. Also, I only use a brush after I've combed out the tangles, AND I wear my hair up most of the time, especially when I'm out and about, and most especially when it's windy.

I hope you achieve the length of your dreams, but you may need to change some of your habits.

McFearless
March 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hmm..are the broken hairs from brushing too harshly or are there white dots near your ends? If there are you should trim them off. For years I tried to grow my hair long but the ends were breaking faster than the roots were growing. But if its a one time thing you shouldn't worry about it.

HintOfMint
March 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Oh dear, welcome to my life (it's under control now, save for the occasional foray into a strong gale with loose hair).

Number one, do NOT use a brush to detangle. Use fingers in conjunction with a comb. When you feel resistance, gently pick it apart. Number two, have a pair of sharp haircutting scissors for S&D. Number three, oil helps, immensely.

You may have to seriously consider getting rid of some length to avoid more tangling and more damage. Damaged hair is rough and tangles more and more tangles lead to more damage. The hair that grows from the nape of my neck is the bane of my existence and routinely sustains the most damage, so I keep that layer a bit shorter through S&Ds that turn into micro-trims. Fortunately, the rest of my hair is thick so it hides the unevenness.

jaine
March 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I think first it's imporant to verify if these are shed hairs or broken hairs. Inspect some hairs from your brush - do they have a white bulb at the root? If so they are shed hairs and probably 100% normal - please don't cut for that! If there's no white bulb, they're broken hairs and it might be time to switch to updo mode so it doesn't get so tangled.