PDA

View Full Version : Over 40 and growing

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I wanted to start a thread for those of us who are over 40 and decided to grow - or already have long hair - when society tell us we need to cut it short to look young! Who is with me?

What about those who are 40 growing and going grey like me?

Let support each other on this journey!

How old are you?

When did you start growing?

What is your goal?

What is your cir?

Favorite products?

Routine?

How long do you plan to go?

1953Diygal
March 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Weelllll.......
I'm 40 and 1/2 years old, so I guess I qualify for the "senior discount" (ha ha).
Count me in!

Oh, P.S.,
I finally got my first "cut your hair" comment from my stepmother. When my hair was all jacked up from being sick for so long, she told me, "You're 40 now and might want to start re-thinking the long hair anyway." Ho ho ho. It is to laugh (to quote Daffy Duck).

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the group 1953diygal! Glad to have you on the journey!

Have you ever had short hair?

What is your routine and what is your cir.?

dernhelm
March 7th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I want to join!

I'm not forty yet (36). I am hoping to reach tailbone by the time I'm forty. I feel that these next four years will be crucial in my attempt to spite societal norms. I am hoping for continued hair health in the future so I can one day have long gray hair.

Rocket22
March 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Me too!!! I think long hair can actually make you look younger.. but it all depends on the person the hair etc.. I have only a couple of grays. (this last year I got a couple that are hanging out together but thats all) anyways I'm currently trying for TB and I'll be 43 in three months :)

somehow I missed all the questions... see my old eyes are getting to me

started growing in August (that was my last trim and it was a good 3-4"
Think final goal is TB but going to aim for waist for now
2 1/2" hopefully once all the bleach breakage grows out will be a little thicker (better be) :)
right now favorite product is coconut oil and white vinegar rinse, other than that pretty much anything works
my routine is to try and co and shampoo wash only a few times a week, no bleach and no heat styling and oil ofen as I can

Pumpkin
March 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I am over 40 and loving my long hair journey. I did not realize how much I missed my long hair in my 9 year 'pixie' stage. I am now in my second year of grow ing out that pixie cut.

I plan on growing my hair to my waist. As of last night, after measuring my hair, it just touches the top of my brastrap. :cheese:

CrisDee
March 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
How old are you? 52

When did you start growing? I've had long hair most of my life, except for 3 instances of temporary insanity. I've been re-growing this last time since September '09.

What is your goal? I'm gonna get to waist and see what happens - I think hip will be about all I want to manage.

What is your cir? Hard to say right now, it's about 3", but there are some layers that don't quite reach the ponytail just yet.

Favorite products? I CO wash using a conditioner I used to get at my local Shop Rite (grocery store) - but they seem to be phasing it out. I'll use Suave in place of it.

Routine? I've just started trying the epsom salt thing from this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58854) thread - I like it so far. Henna/cassia 50/50 about once every 3-4 weeks. My job requires my hair to be up, so the "put it up and forget it" thing is easy for me. :)

How long do you plan to go? Does this mean how long do I plan to keep my hair long? Until it becomes more work to care for than I'm capable of.

Cool idea for a thread, cos some of us "old folks" just can't quite accept the Renegray concept just yet. :D

spidermom
March 7th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I'm inching ever closer to age 60, and my hair is getting whiter/more silver by the day.

I wanted long hair all my life but was too impulsive and kept getting hair cuts because I couldn't resist. FINALLY patience came along in my mid-40s and I've been growing that long hair that I've always wanted ever since. My circumference ranges from 3.8 - 4.2 inches, or it was when I bothered to measure. I don't anymore. Whatever will be will be as far as thickness and length are concerned, and I don't care (much). I am at my goal length but don't feel like cutting it back yet, so there! I use a CWC routine with diluted shampoo, full-strength shampoo when I feel I have buildup. My favorite products are Natures Gate and Save Your Hair/Save Your Rainforest, but I'm not loyal. If something else that smells wonderful is on sale, I'll buy it.

Nobody tells me I should cut my hair. The only one who ever said that was my father, but meh! He can cut his hair if he wants short hair (and he does, right down to the scalp). My granddaughter tells me to never cut it, and she thinks it would be awesome if I had hair down to my knees. An 8-year-old who I met on vacation in Bonaire told me "Never cut your hair!" She was quite impressed with it.

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Welcome! So glad to have you and thank you for sharing!

jojo
March 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
How old are you?I will be 42 in May

When did you start growing? December 22nd 25, at approx 11.30am after a stupid hairdresser cut my nearly waist hair, to an uneven bob/pixie....I asked to be trimmed to bsl. I knew as soon as I walked out of the salon, I was going to grow it back. I am presently just past waist length.

What is your goal? Classic length, but who knows I still feel very short at my length now, long hair is kinda addictive! The longest I think I could manage is probably thigh but I think my hair would be hard work, though I love the very long lengths on others but I dont really think I have th genes to go extra long but id be happy with classic!

What is your cir? I dont understand this question, do you mean routine?? I pre oil with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) I add oil lightly on a daily basis to my hair ends. and I CSC cones/coneless whatevers in the bathroom. I use straighteners about once or twice a year but never use a hair drier and I wear my hair up most of the time!

Favorite products? Tigi moisture mainac, CHI serum, EVOO, camillia oil and rose water. Though I have just discovered my hair actually loves coconut milk soaks, which it detested a year or so back. I always am open to trying new things, even stuff my hair previously hated!

I am also getting a few greys ( an inch wide stripe) in my fringe, so I am going to grow my henna out and embrace them. I figure its better to do this with little grey so it looks more natural. My roots are only slightly noticable and I quite like 2 toned hair!

Aww I see cir is circumference doh! mine is 4.5"

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
How old are you?I will be 42 in May

When did you start growing? December 22nd 25, at approx 11.30am after a stupid hairdresser cut my nearly waist hair, to an uneven bob/pixie....I asked to be trimmed to bsl. I knew as soon as I walked out of the salon, I was going to grow it back. I am presently just past waist length.

What is your goal? Classic length, but who knows I still feel very short at my length now, long hair is kinda addictive! The longest I think I could manage is probably thigh but I think my hair would be hard work, though I love the very long lengths on others but I dont really think I have th genes to go extra long but id be happy with classic!

What is your cir? I dont understand this question, do you mean routine?? I pre oil with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) I add oil lightly on a daily basis to my hair ends. and I CSC cones/coneless whatevers in the bathroom. I use straighteners about once or twice a year but never use a hair drier and I wear my hair up most of the time!

Favorite products? Tigi moisture mainac, CHI serum, EVOO, camillia oil and rose water. Though I have just discovered my hair actually loves coconut milk soaks, which it detested a year or so back. I always am open to trying new things, even stuff my hair previously hated!

I am also getting a few greys ( an inch wide stripe) in my fringe, so I am going to grow my henna out and embrace them. I figure its better to do this with little grey so it looks more natural. My roots are only slightly noticable and I quite like 2 toned hair!
Cir...circumference!

I agree with you..I was doing henna at first but decided to embrace my natural hair now rather than later...silver is a color!

vanity_acefake
March 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Can I join? I'm 39 this year.
I started growing my hair from a bob in 2009.
I intend to grow it as long as it will grow.
My cir is 5". My length is almost (but not there yet) waist.
My routine is wash and condition (about every 8 days) with herbal essence "happy ends" (or whatever it is called). Coconut oil, EVOO, sometimes. Henna to cover greys. I got greys late in life but they are appearing like crazy. I am going to indigo this week for the first time as I have a definite line of dyed hair/henna.
My favourite product is coconut oil because it smells so good and my hair loves it.
I fully intend to be an old lady with extra long hair who grows old disgracefully.

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Can I join? I'm 39 this year.
I started growing my hair from a bob in 2009.
I intend to grow it as long as it will grow.
My cir is 5".
My routine is wash and condition with herbal essence "happy ends" (or whatever it is called). Coconut oil, EVOO, sometimes. Henna to cover greys. I got greys late in life but they are appearing like crazy. I am going to indigo this week for the first time as I have a decimate line of dyed hair/henna.
I fully intend to be an old lady with extra long hair who grows old disgracefully.

I love it!

Kelli Kat
March 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
How old are you? - 47

When did you start growing? - I've been on a cycle of cut and grow since I was little, this time around my last cut was in 2003.

What is your goal? Classic - but I think I've reached terminal at BSL

What is your cir? Don't know

Favorite products? One N Only Argan Oil Mask

Routine? Wash every two weeks, wear it up everyday

How long do you plan to go? As long as it will go, but I think I've reached terminal at BSL

Dark40
March 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I love it!
I am 39 and growing. Who tells me to cut my hair? No one. I've wanted long hair all of my life. My goal is hip length. My routine is washing two or three times a week, deep conditioning once a week or however often as needed. My favorite products are Pantene Pro-V Nature Fosion shampoo and conditioner, and Cholestrol Deep Conditioning Cream.

Idun
March 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I´m in. :wethree:My hairdressers always said "most people can´t grow past bsl, and you probably can´t either". Well, that´s because of all the horrible things they themselves do to peoples hair, right? So, at first I just sort of let it grow without paying much attention to it. At one point I started lurking here, while gradually improving my haircare routines, and eventually I joined up.

After that I have stopped dying my hair chemically and started doing henna/cassia instead. My goal is to grow out all the previously dyed/damaged hair and to get to almost classic or classic. I suspect that perhaps I will only achieve the lenght after my old hair is gone. But who knows.

I am strictly no-cone now, using shampoobars and acv rinses. And I wash my hair once a week. This has helped me to achieve softer shinier tresses without the plastic feeling, and a much healthier scalp that doesn´t itch. I keep my hair bunned pretty much always as I am a cluts who would otherwise get tangled up in ...everything. Not many people comment on my hair unless I wear it down. I religiously eat the right vitamins for a week or two each year. My circumference is 9-10 cm.

redwoman
March 7th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I'm in. I'll be 45 in July. I don't know my circ. I use cheap suave shampoo and conditioner. Coconut oil on the length and ends especially. The only person to suggest cutting my hair was my sister who said "Enjoy it now because soon you will be grey and have to cut it." LOL. I'm going to be that little old lady with the white braid down her back.

jasper
March 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I turned 43 last week. People told me I don't look my age or that they wouldn't have guessed it. I wonder if that is partly because I haven't gone in for that "age appropriate" hair cut.

I have had long or long-ish hair since I was about 25. I got it bobbed off in 2004 but no major cuts since then. My goal is just to see how long it will get or how soon it will be too long for me.

I don't have favorite products, but i am currently using suave naturals and liking how inexpensive it is since it gets the job done. I like shea butter better than any other oil i have tried.

I am getting gray too, but having light colored hair to start with it isn't a big contrast so i usually ignore it.

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Welcome!

What is your favorite updo?

Favorite oil?

Cowgirl16
March 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I'm 48 and I'm in:cheese:

I 've had long hair (past shoulders to tbl) for 10 years. Along the way I have endured a HORRIBLE dye job; I kept my hair BSL for 2 years just to grow it out. A BAD cut; bad because my hair WAS TBL and she "trimmed" it to BSL. The "TRIM" was May 2008 and I consider that my "how long have you been growing your hair" point:)

I have changed my goal to terminal and I think my cir is 4-5

I dont have a favorite product I use whatever sounds good; suave moisturizing/shea butter conditioner, Garnier triple nutrition or Loreal.
I wash my hair about 2 times a week with Bed Head Self Absorbed shampoo and condition with Loreal or a SMT mix. I use Africas Best oil on the ends and like to deep oil with Sweet almond oil and Honey mixed, put on my ends and left for a couple hours prior to a wash (I really like this)

I don't plan on coloring my hair (see HORRIBLE above), I earned those greys!

1953Diygal
March 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM
How old are you?
I'll be 41 in Aug.

I've had short hair virtually all of my life. The shortest it's ever been was shaved almost bald when I was in high school. I started growing it out from bob-length when I was 27. It was at shoulder-length for years. I joined TLHC when I was 34-ish and it's been at BSL for what seems like years. I was nearly at WL but a severe health crisis has set me back somewhat on my length and circumferance.

What is your goal?
My goal length is 36 inches. I'm stalled at around 32.

What is your cir?
I don't know that I'm ready to measure that. I had oceans and oceans of hair before I got sick. I think I may have stalled my shedding, which is a good sign, but even my DBF commented the other day that my hair feels "lighter" than it used to, which I guess was a nice way of saying "thinner."

Favorite products?
I love the "It's a 10" conditioning line. I'm also loving the Enjoy Luxury shampoo and conditioner. Both are super-coney, but my hair likes cones. I also like DevaCurl No Poo and One Condition from time to time. I love coconut oil and cocoa butter. Oh, and anything from Oyin is awesome.....Whipped Pudding, Burnt Sugar Pomade....yum!

Routine?
I'm back on the henna wagon. My hair already feels stronger and shinier. I'm trying the Monistat routine 3x a week, which I think may have stopped my shedding. I oil when my hair needs it and use Nexxus Emergencee when it feels like it needs protein. I CO when I feel like it. I'm back on the GNC UltraNourisHair. Other than that, I'm just a basic shampoo and conditioner kind of gal.

I'd like to eventually shoot for TB, but I want to improve on my circumferance first.

silverjen
March 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
How old are you? I just turned 40. Ignore my posted age, I never post my real birth date on the Internet. I just started going really gray this year. The areas behind my ears and on my left temple are about 80% gray. I'm embracing it. Too damn lazy to dye, keeping up with roots is hell.

When did you start growing? Two years ago, from a 1" buzz cut. I'm a reformed shortie.

What is your goal? Right now all I can imagine is having it long enough to put up. Anything beyond that is so far outside my experience that I can't really grasp what it might be like.

What is your cir? Don't know, I can't make a full ponytail yet.

Favorite products? Shampoo bars! And coconut oil, my hair thrives on it.

Routine? 3x a week: Prewash oiling, then shampoo bar, then white vinegar rinse. Nightblooming's Panacaea on the ends.

How long do you plan to go? I really have no idea. It's all an adventure. I'm happier keeping it open ended.

FallHare
March 7th, 2011, 07:18 PM
If no one minds, I'll cheer from the bleachers for a few months till I can officially join. I just turned 39.

There is No WAY I am going to ever go for the "age appropriate" short hair. I haven't cut my hair other than a (rare) trim since I graduated high school in 19*mumble*mumble*. I always wanted long hair and the minute I was out of my mother's house, by the gods, that's what I have! I'm not going to listen to anyone who tells me I should cut it. Or dye it. :boxer: :D

How long? Well I was pretty much steady at just past hip for about 10 years, but I recently found LHC and realized how bad I was treating my hair. After a trim to tidy up the ends and much better habits, I've started to gain length and am now trying to see if I can grow to Classic.

My circumference at pony length is about 4/4.5 inches, but I have a serious taper from my years of abuse.

I generally wash 1-2 times per week. LHC influenced me to try shampoo bars, and I really like the ones I bought from CV. But my favorite tip I learned was ACV rinses. Between that and my new non-coney conditioner, my hair has never felt so soft and sleek.

Fairlight63
March 7th, 2011, 07:34 PM
How old are you?
I will be 66 this month.

I have had short & dyed hair most of my life. Quit coloring it & let it grow in 2007.

What is your goal?
waist - I am there now, so I am trimming every month to thicken up the ends now. I wear it up most of the time.

What is you cir.?
It is about 2 1/2"

Favorite Products?
Since Jan. I am using the Nioxin products to see if they will work for me. So far I don't see any improvements, it is about the same.
My hair loves cones, without them I can't get a comb, fingers or anything through my hair.

Routine?
I wash 2 times a wk.

How long will you go?
I plan on keeping it this length or maybe tail bone length if I can get it thicker. When I see all of the beautiful long gray hair on LHC it makes me want to keep my hair long also. They look so much prettier & classier than the short gray hair poodle do's.

akuamoonmaui
March 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM
How old are you? I'll be 43 in June. Geez, how did that happen??

When did you start growing? I've almost always had long-ish hair. As a kid it was bsl (before b's), I've had 2 or 3 really short cuts, but usually my hair has been APL. I started to grow my hair to my current goal (30-36) when I got divorced. So often how we treat our hair is a reflection of our emotions. I think I was finally "free" and voila! it was easy to just let it grow.

What is your goal? Waist to tail bone.

What is your cir? Not sure.

Favorite products? Coconut oil, organix vanilla silk & coconut milk, pantene conditioners, biosilk and dove 'poos

Routine? I co-wash daily, poo 2-3x a week. Oil my hair daily (bottom 1/4), flat iron my bangs into submission, usually wear my hair in a pony tail or bun with a stick. I've been using henna and henna/cassia glosses and love 'em, I also dye my hair to get the "right" color. I finger comb my dry hair, and have a wide tooth comb for when its wet. Wide as in disproportionally huge.

How long do you plan to go? I plan to keep my long hair and don't see cutting it. My hair doesn't like conventional styles or styling, it never looks like its supposed to. I'm getting grays and am not handling it well. I will admit I'm vain about my hair color and can't see grays as sparkles or any other positive association, although I know I should.

islandboo
March 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM

How old are you? mid40s

When did you start growing? I've been reasonably long (APL+) for most of my life. I got a pixie cut on my honeymoon in 2002 and donated the hair to Locks for Love (seemed romantic, LOL) and it has been growing (albeit with regular trims) since.

What is your goal? To get back to hip and then maybe see where terminal is on me

What is your cir? 1.75" (sigh)

Favorite products? coconut oil!

Routine? CWC with a weekly deep condition/overnight oiling

How long do you plan to go? It will either be forever or until my hair gets so thin and wispy that I decide to shave it all off :rolleyes:

summerjade
March 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I definitely want to join this group. I am 56 and growing my hair. Right now it is almost bra length. I want to grow it to waist length. No one has said anything to me yet about my hair length for my age. I have had long hair most of my life, but have never gotten as long as I want it. I have always trimmed too much at the hairdressers because they wanted to do it. But I decided a year ago after a hairdresser was trimming my hair, and she got excited talking to her ex's wife , the louder she got the faster and shorter she cut my hair until I had a bob about shoulder length. Never again!! I decided it's now or never to grow my hair out reallly long and I am determined to do it. My routine varies from shampoo to shampoo. My hair likes coconut oil, I sometimes use jojoba oil, it loves that because its not that heavy, and sometimes moonlight anointing oil. I use different shampoos. Right now my favorites are Sebastion Light shampoo and conditioner, Godiva shampoo bar from Lush. I love and almost always do an ACV rinse. After shampooing and rinsing, I dilute vinegar and pour over my scalp and hair, then add my conditioner and finger comb through my hair and then rinse out after a couple of minutes. After getting out of the shower I put a drop or two of oil in the palm of my hand and run through hair from ears down and thats it. It makes my hair very shiny. Of course, I have almost white hair!! But I color the roots about every 6 weeks. I would love to go natural, but I would have such a dramatic line of demarcation I don't know how I would do it?? Any suggestions? I can't cut it and start over or I will never get the length I want because my hair doesn't grow fast at all. Only about a 1/4 of an inch a month from what I can tell from my measurements. I love long hair .

Madora
March 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM

started growing: have had long hair for many years

goal: 50 inches

circumference: about 2 to 2-1/2 inches

fav. products: George Michael Pink Shampoo
George Michael conditioner
Goodby pure boar bristle brush

routine: Wash - once a month

Every morning 100 strokes in the bent position with my bbb (right after getting up)

akuamoonmaui
March 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Summerjade:
But I decided a year ago after a hairdresser was trimming my hair, and she got excited talking to her ex's wife , the louder she got the faster and shorter she cut my hair until I had a bob about shoulder length. Never again!!

I had something like this happen to me, too. The woman had given me a really nice cut before, but this time her daughter's friend?, niece? ~ I don't remember, had just gotten arrested for shoplifting and she'd just gotten the call. She was telling her co-worker as she was cutting my hair. The picture I brought in was shoulder length with gradual layers. I ended up with 1/2" almost all over. Luckily (Ha!) she left the top barely long enough that I didn't look like I was in the military. I seriously almost bought a wig.

Pierre
March 7th, 2011, 09:55 PM
What about those who are 40 growing and going grey like me?

How old are you? 47

When did you start growing? A few months before I joined LHC, I think, but I don't remember now.

What is your goal? I don't have one. I passed my last goal and kept growing.

What is your cir? Don't know. After washing, I rebraid it as soon as I can.

Favorite products? Henna and jojoba.

Routine? WO maybe twice a week, henna about once a month, jojoba every day unless I decide to wear just henna attar, and keep it up when I'm not washing.

How long do you plan to go? I have no plans to stop.

SurprisingWoman
March 7th, 2011, 10:16 PM
"TLHC means never having to ask: Is that really how my hair looks from the back?"

This is without a doubt the BEST signature line... EVER I would totally steal it from you but no one else would get it and you already have it. Dang it! :p

How old am I? I will be 50 in less than a month. I am seriously thinking about just sticking with 49 though. I have loved my 40's.

When did I start growing? I cut off my "semi-perm" color after letting my natural color get to my shoulders in April 2005. I have done a couple of major trims, 6+ inches since then but I haven't done one since October 2007. My last 3" trim was last February until just a few days ago when my husband gave me another trim. I haven't taken new pics yet.

I don't know what my goal is. I thought it was terminal but I like having it down enough that having it too long isn't going to work for me. I am working through that issue now.

My circ? I have no idea. I haven't checked it since I joined LHC years ago. I don't really care. It is what it is. My hair had a greater circ when I colored it and the cuticle was rough and it wasn't all natural and smooth. I know I have thick hair and I have been blessed.

My routine is benign neglect, shampoo and condition twice a week, use my dollar store brush once a day, use a chopstick to do a bun'ish kind of thing most days and leave my hair down waaay more than I should. My husband likes it and that makes me like it more than ever.

My favorite products are the ones on sale. I shop at Costco and use the coupons so usually Pantene. I don't like Kirkland brand or Dove though. Smell is very important to me. My hair hates baking soda,protein, aloe... so many things.

Discover your own process and don't assume what other like is necessary... be true to your hair.

Debra83
March 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM
How old are you? 46

When did you start growing? This time, October 2008.

What is your goal? Waist for sure, perhaps beyond.

What is your cir? Don't know, my hair is fine, but there is lots

Favorite products? Henna, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner.

Routine? CWC everyday (just about), Henna once every 3-4 weeks.

How long do you plan to go? Until I'm not happy at a certain stage, then I'll back up to last landmark and maintain.

:cheese: Cool thread!

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 11:58 PM
"TLHC means never having to ask: Is that really how my hair looks from the back?"

This is without a doubt the BEST signature line... EVER I would totally steal it from you but no one else would get it and you already have it. Dang it! :p

How old am I? I will be 50 in less than a month. I am seriously thinking about just sticking with 49 though. I have loved my 40's.

When did I start growing? I cut off my "semi-perm" color after letting my natural color get to my shoulders in April 2005. I have done a couple of major trims, 6+ inches since then but I haven't done one since October 2007. My last 3" trim was last February until just a few days ago when my husband gave me another trim. I haven't taken new pics yet.

I don't know what my goal is. I thought it was terminal but I like having it down enough that having it too long isn't going to work for me. I am working through that issue now.

My circ? I have no idea. I haven't checked it since I joined LHC years ago. I don't really care. It is what it is. My hair had a greater circ when I colored it and the cuticle was rough and it wasn't all natural and smooth. I know I have thick hair and I have been blessed.

My routine is benign neglect, shampoo and condition twice a week, use my dollar store brush once a day, use a chopstick to do a bun'ish kind of thing most days and leave my hair down waaay more than I should. My husband likes it and that makes me like it more than ever.

My favorite products are the ones on sale. I shop at Costco and use the coupons so usually Pantene. I don't like Kirkland brand or Dove though. Smell is very important to me. My hair hates baking soda,protein, aloe... so many things.

Discover your own process and don't assume what other like is necessary... be true to your hair.
WOW...your hair is gorgeous!

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Welcome to all of you wonderful ladies and thank you for sharing! :cheese:

Mesmerise
March 8th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Okay, I'm not over 40, but I won't get to my goal length until I'm at least 40 so does that count?? :D

My current "goal" if you will is to get to waist length and maintain my hair at waist length for AT LEAST a year... by then I'll be 39 and a bit, so my goal is hip by 40, cause hip is really only a few inches past waist!

My biggest problem is that massive shedding last year has left my hair very thin, especially at the ends. The circ of my ponytail is about 2.5" or so, but it tapers very fast (I think the ponytail is now getting some of my regrowth in it, but it's definitely still waaaay thinner than it used to be... I just have no idea how big it was because I never measured it before!).

I have been growing my hair on and off for most of my life. This time I started about November 2008 after chopping off a lot of damage and getting it back to about shoulder length (although it curled up more and sat above my shoulders). It's now about mid-back. I've had a few trims (1 to 2" at a time) since I had the major cut, mostly because of the thinness at the ends!

I am trying oil shampoo at the moment, although I did CWC this morning as my hair felt sort of saturated (which is weird... but I think it's because I hennaed at the start of last week, and it's not penetrating properly).

I am now using castor oil on my roots to promote more hair growth and faster hair growth, and am going to start taking some vitamins for my hair soon too!

hanne jensen
March 8th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I'm 51.

I started growing my hair in late Nov. 2008.

I don't really have any favorite products except coconut oil.

My current hair routine is Ktani's Movie Star Shampoo Method with Urtekram No Perfume Shampoo mixed with melted coconut oil. No conditioners. DH dusts me every 6-8 weeks. Other than that, I put my hair up and forget about it.

My goal length is terminal just out of curiosity. I'm hoping that it will be at least knee.

All my friends ask me if it isn't a lot of trouble to take care of all this hair. I just laugh and tell them that I have long hair because I'm very lazy. I also tell them how much cheaper it is to have long hair. They don't believe me!

Theobroma
March 8th, 2011, 02:38 AM
How old are you? Over 40

When did you start growing? Hard to say; I've had long hair to varying degrees almost all my life, except for a pixie cut I got when I was 13 and promptly grew straight out again because it taught me, once and for all, that short hair just isn't me. But I suppose I could say that I made a conscious decision to grow out, not trim, and protect my hair as much as possible just over a year ago, so let's go with that for present purposes. :)

What is your goal? Currently leaning towards classic. I used to think I'd be happy with tailbone, but I had classic length hair when I was twelve, the more I think about it, the more I want that length back.

What is your cir? Not sure exactly. It's tricky to measure accurately and I don't really care enough to make the effort, but I'd say about three inches.

Favorite products? As little product of any kind as possible, really, and the more natural the better. No cones, ever, as my hair hates them.

Routine? CO with organic condish, Garnier Triple Nutrition as a leave-in, and as much coconut oil on non-wash days as my hair cares to soak up.

How long do you plan to go? For life. I love having my hair long, and I have no intention of cutting it, ever.

Othala
March 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM
How old are you?

45, will be 46 in June

Well I srated in 2001, but then I henna'd and had a big cut to get rid of my dyed hair in 2008, 2009 and last year. So, officially, I am on a no-cut journey from 2011 onwards.

What is your goal?

I would be happy with classic, but hope to grow longer.

What is your cir?

I don't know. Will report later when I can find a tape measure.

Favorite products?

Shikakai, Methi. coconut oil. sesame oil, Nexxuss Theratin shampoo and Philip Kingsley Elasticizer.

Routine?

Wash every third day. Oil the day before. Sometimes condition and sometimes oil after washing.

Allthe way.

jackiesjottings
March 8th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Oh yes, I am with you :)) I am 50, will be 51 in July. I used to have classic length hair and cut it in 1995 when I was 35. For a few years I was happy with a bob though I did sometimes wistfully wonder if how long my hair would be if I hadn't cut it. At the beginning of 2005 I suddenly decided, I want my hair long again. I've been growing it ever since. It was not quite shoulder length when I started and now the longest parts of my faery tale ends are at classic :)) Going silver too and I love it, I love the idea of one day having long all silver hair.

So far no-one has told me I am too old to have long hair but if they do I will ask them, quiet simply "why"? Long hair is for anyone who wants it I say :))

I love having my hair long again, I feel as if I came out of a shell where I was trying to find myself and am back to who I really am :)

bte
March 8th, 2011, 05:27 AM
How old are you?
56 in a few days' time

At 39 , in 1994, I decided I was too old to have short hair, and I have not cut or trimmed it since.

What is your goal?
Having reached terminal length before I wanted to, I won't ever reach the sort of goal I wanted, so I am aiming to go without a trim for at least a total of 39 years, when I am 78.

What is your cir?
Only about an inxh and a half

Favorite products?
Any quality products on buy one get one free!

Routine?
Brush a few times a day (I tried finger combingonly for a year or two). Braid at night, ponytail most of the day.

See above.

Good luck everybody. And remember, 40 isn't old if you have long hair.

DavidN
March 8th, 2011, 05:38 AM
What a great thread, wahmof9, and thank you for starting it. One is never too old for long hair. I hope you don't mind an older man joining in.

I will be 58 years old in August, so I am probably one of the oldest folks here.

I have been growing since early 2004, with a couple of small trims along the way. My hair is probably the slowest growing hair on the planet, but I have to make do, I guess. I would love to achieve waist length, but am not sure if I will get there. My hair does surprise me though, and just when I think it has stopped growing, I gain another inch or two.

My hair is not that thick, and I admit I haven't measured my ponytail or anything, but I am reasonably satisfied with what I have for an older guy.

Cheers to everyone in this group, and all the best in all your long hair journeys!

CurlyCyndi
March 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I just wanted to stop by to praise you ladies for standing against the "CUT YOUR HAIR" I had no clue why anyone would say shorter hair makes you look younger! I don't get it... Keep those beautiful manes!

Have a great day!

kitschy
March 8th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I'm 54 and started growing my hair in May of 2009. I'm shooting for hip length, but I just got another darned trim - I guess I'm addicted to trims. At this rate, I'll be hip in 2013.

Theobroma
March 8th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I just wanted to stop by to praise you ladies for standing against the "CUT YOUR HAIR" I had no clue why anyone would say shorter hair makes you look younger!

I have no clue either. And nor do I have any clue why so many people in the English-speaking world seem to think they have any business telling other women what to do with their hair!

I have to say, though, that this has never happened either to me or to my mother, who's 70 and has gorgeous hip-length salt-and-pepper hair. But then I don't live in a culture where those kinds of personal remarks would be considered even remotely socially acceptable.

Delila
March 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
How old are you? 48

When did you start growing? ten or twelve years ago? Had a pixie in about 1998-9, and decided it was the last one ever. Took forever to get it all grown out, and another eternity to get my bangs grown out.

What is your goal? Not sure. I think I'm near my old goal (fingertip), which I'd thought was impossible, but I'm honestly not sure I even have a hair goal anymore. I just like having it long.

What is your cir? 2-2 1/2"

Favorite products? George Michael (Biolage, if GM's not available)

Routine? Wash my hair two or three times a week, condition and leave it alone.

How long do you plan to go? Not sure. I'm at my old goal I think, but I don't have any plan to maintain here.

GRU
March 8th, 2011, 09:01 AM
How old are you?
I'll be 42yo next month.

Age 10, when I finally was too big for my mom to bully into a boy cut. Didn't start actively going for length until about 7 years ago -- had mostly APL/BSL prior to then.

What is your goal?
I'd like to be a blunt hem at waist when dry, which would probably be about classic length when pulled straight.

What is your cir?
Just a skosh shy of 4".

Favorite products?
Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner; oils (grapeseed and sweet almond are top choices, but have also used coconut and jojoba)

Routine?
Too lazy to type it up again... my routine is in this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1504647#post1504647).

Until I die. Long hair is way easier to maintain than short hair! :D

jojo
March 8th, 2011, 09:03 AM
[/color]
Cir...circumference!

I agree with you..I was doing henna at first but decided to embrace my natural hair now rather than later...silver is a color! I think this is a good plan, got the cir thing doh! im so slow at times its 4.5"

wahmof9
March 8th, 2011, 09:12 AM
What a great thread, wahmof9, and thank you for starting it. One is never too old for long hair. I hope you don't mind an older man joining in.

I will be 58 years old in August, so I am probably one of the oldest folks here.

I have been growing since early 2004, with a couple of small trims along the way. My hair is probably the slowest growing hair on the planet, but I have to make do, I guess. I would love to achieve waist length, but am not sure if I will get there. My hair does surprise me though, and just when I think it has stopped growing, I gain another inch or two.

My hair is not that thick, and I admit I haven't measured my ponytail or anything, but I am reasonably satisfied with what I have for an older guy.

Cheers to everyone in this group, and all the best in all your long hair journeys!

Welcome, glad to have you

spidermom
March 8th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Dropped back in to add that lately I've been using coconut oil on clean, damp hair followed by CHI Silk Infusion (coney serum). I'm very impressed with the results. I was having a tangle problem before I went for vacation in the Caribbean. I started a routine of sweet almond oil (because I was sharing a bed with daughter, who is violently allergic to coconut) applied generously, followed by CHI Silk Infusion, then braiding. It protected my hair from the sun and sea so well that I decided to continue, except coconut oil applied lightly, then the CHI. To my surprise, this has almost completely resolved my tangling problem.

LunaMoon
March 8th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Can I join?:flower: I m a newbie here in the LHC!

How old are you? I will be 40 next month (April)

When did you start growing? Most of my life I had short hair, and came from a "short hair lovers" family.
I started "thinking about" 5 years ago, was almost "there", but had to cut it back (quimical damage) last year. I can say I started growing from APL, about 1 year ago.

What is your goal? Waist.

What is your cir? About 4,5''

Favorite products? Coconut oil and monoil oil. I am always changing shampoos' brands. I "try" to avoid cones. I really love Kerastase products, but they are too expensive for me.

Routine? Before joining LHC: Coconut oil or Monoi oil before washing, every 3 days. Just small amount of some good shampoo mixed with water and a very ligh "after-shampoo" to balance the PH.
After washing:Leave-on products and a few drops of Monoi oil just on my ends to keep the moisture.
Every 2 weeks: deep moisture treatment (at home).
Every month: clarifing shampoo or little Sodium bicarbonatum mixed with my shampoo.
Aftter joining LHC: trying the CWC routine using the products I still have. Stoped with oils and leave-ons. (just trying..)

How long do you plan to go? Who knows...

Miss Misha
March 8th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Ooo, me! Pick me next!

How old are you? Turned 50 last November. Still wondering where the last 20 years went.....maybe that's the first sign of senior dementia? :D

When did you start growing? February of 2010, after the long layer cut debacle. Why do hairdressers think that long layers are the answer for fine hair? One ends up looking like a head of greasy string!

What is your goal? Waist from shoulder. Currently at BSL and trying to even out the layers with micro trims every 6 months or so.

What is your cir? Tiny. Too depressing to measure. I've always had baby fine hair and in answering the first question, you know I haven't been a baby for a long, long time.

Favorite products? I lurv to mix coconut oil into diluted shampoo - I end up with soft, manageable hair. I also use honey and olive oil to condition. Yes, I am a Ktani groupie, why do you ask? :D:D:cheese:
Routine? I use EO French Lavender shampoo and conditioner, both are sulfate and cone free. Also use coconut oil on my damp ends and mixed into my shampoo. My hair can be a grease pit if I don't wash every few days. I CO the ends most days, too. I tried going poo-free and WO; it was a disaster!

How long do you plan to go? Probably waist or tailbone. I want to have a long braid down my back like several others mentioned.

moonlight
March 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM
My turn!

How old are you? Turned 50 last November 28th.

When did you start growing? My last cut (just longer then shoulder) was Oct 2009 and I think my last trim (did myself) was Fall 2010

What is your goal? BCL

What is your cir? hmmm 2" I think?

Favorite products? Just started using Olive Oil on the ends every night and I love it! Also use Infusium 21 on soaking wet hair before I mini-plop for a little cone to protect from the mild heat of the diffuser dryer.

Routine? I CO wash with Suave every night, then Olive Oil on the ends. Let it half dry by air, then braid to bed. In the morning before work, I wet my hair, spray on Infusium 23, blot/mini plop with a flour-sack towel, then dry with a diffuser for lots of waves

How long do you plan to go? I want my hair, when dry and wavy, to graze my tailbone :) Eventually, I'll want to quit the henna and grow out my gray (I'm full gray in the front, heavily salted in the back), so I might come back up to shoulder or shorter if I can't tolerate the roots. Also, I've always loved dreads, so I might do that before I cut because really long dreads are so cool looking....I'll be a little old lady with dreads that are half silver, half fire engine red down to my butt. THAT will make people look! :)

wahmof9
March 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Do you Henna or cassia?

I did henna until it realized I did not want roots when my grey grew in...so now I am doing cassia...

jasper
March 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Feel free to borrow it :p Is that really how your hair looks from the back in your sig? It looks amazing!

I am looking forward to 50. I hope you have a great birthday!

jackiesjottings
March 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I forgot to answer the questions so here goes :)

How old are you? 50

When did you start growing? Jan 2005, but I had had long hair until 1995

What is your goal? Knee or terminal whichever comes first. Currently classic

What is your cir? About 2.5" which is thicker than I thought.

Favorite products? Urtekram shampoo and Jasons conditioners

Routine? I wash twice a week, using mainly Urtekram shampoo (a Danish brand which is pretty easy to get in the UK). Condition from the shoulders down and my fave conditoner is Jasons in various flavours. I put my hair up a lot for work, and when doing things round the house but love to let it all hang free too. I braid over one shoulder at night and fasten the end by braiding ribbon into my hair, wrapping that round and tying it.

How long do you plan to go? I would love to get to knee, and I plan to keep my hair long forever if I can :)

Love love love this thread :))))

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I'm 55 and started growing my hair again (I had long hair in the 70's) at the age of 40. I have no set routine. I'm a product junkie who is always looking for my holy grail. I'm having great success with the oil shampoo method right now, so I will be sticking with that, even though I use different shampoos and conditioners all the time. Some misguided women at work tried to tell me to cut my hair for a few years, but finally gave up.

GrowingGlory
March 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Hi, I am happy to join this thread.

How old are you? 45
When did you start growing? In 2008, I think, after a year of sporting a crew cut.
What is your goal? Terminal length, whatever that may be.
What is your circumference? Over 4", but I'm not sure exactly.
Favorite Products? Love Night Bloomings' Triple Moon Anointing Oil and her Panacea Hair Salve - Winter Blend. Love my WIDU Bamboo brush and adore my Mason Pearson Large Extra BBB.

Thanks for a unique and unusual thread. Now we have our own niche!

Superfine
March 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'm 65. I started growing in '07 from a pixie. I'm now kind of holding at BSL but may get lazy & just let it grow more. I wear it up most all the time anyway. I brush every day, gently wash about 2x/week & condition ends. Sometimes jojoba oil on ends if they seem dry. I had BSL hair in the 70s for a short time. My sister was living with me & she's always had long hair. She was a good influence. Other friends later encouraged me to cut. So.. Now I'm doing it for myself & I love the ease & look of it. I don't anticipate having short hair again. I'm finally allowing myself to have long hair that I've admired on others. Yay!

KateMcC
March 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM
How old are you? I will be 42 on Sunday

When did you start growing? In my early 30s

What is your goal? Classic Length (is that hips or tailbone?)

Cir? 3 and 3/4 inches almost a "iii" in Feye's hairtyping lingo. Woo-Hoo! Almost 1/2 my hair fell out due to illness/medication a few years ago, so this is great improvement!

Favorite products? White Rain Extra Body Hair Conditioner and Giovanni products, but the WR is really hard to find.

Routine? CO mostly. I wash every 3 days, or so. Once a month or so I might use shampoo. I use a microfiber towel, and then air dry. No hair dryers or straighteners. I do hide the gray (I started going gray at 20, and now am over 50% gray) with Natural Instincts- Medium Brown/Hazelnut, but I only do root treatments and I spread them out as far apart as I can. I average four to five root jobs a year.

I, too, am tired of people suggesting I cut my hair to "look younger" which is really funny because no one ever guesses I'm as old as I am. Thanks for starting the thread.

KateMcC
March 8th, 2011, 06:05 PM
My routine is benign neglect, [...]
... be true to your hair.

I think "benign neglect" is indeed the best way to grow out one's hair. I just realized mine has grown over 4 inches in less than a year, and that included quite a few trims to even up layers. Whoo-Hoo!!! When I was measuring every month and finding a routine that worked for me, I didn't think my hair would ever grow.

"Be true to your hair" Fabulous Advice! That ought to become a motto here.

Vintagecoilylocks
March 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I want to join.

How old are you? I will be 55 next week.

When did you start growing? Tried as far back as I can remember but did not know how. Finally after a life of trial an error, every wives tale (including being told a straightening perm will make your hair grow) and some realization to the true nature of my hair I can say I officially started on a journey of growing my hair long in 2003. I suffered some major set backs the last 5 years with shedding and a stressing life but I have again officially started to finish this journey as of Feb 15 2011.

What is your goal? Recover from shedding and breakage. Even out the layers that I have and keep going to goal of my divine portion, Golden measure or what I call the Renisance length.

What is your cir? I think I would cry if I knew.

Favorite products? Have returned to all natural homemade products except my Suave peach and green apple conditioners. When all gone will use a homemade recipe to replace them.

Routine? Use the moon chart to determine wash days and what type of conditioner or treatment to use. Makes the journey interesting for me and eliminated the guess work of when to protein or not and what type of pre poo and after conditioner to use. Where my hair in braided buns.

How long do you plan to go? I will let my hair grow as long as it can because I just cannot bring my self to ever use scissors on it again.

wahmof9
March 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
How old are you? I will be 42 on Sunday

When did you start growing? In my early 30s

What is your goal? Classic Length (is that hips or tailbone?)

Cir? 3 and 3/4 inches almost a "iii" in Feye's hairtyping lingo. Woo-Hoo! Almost 1/2 my hair fell out due to illness/medication a few years ago, so this is great improvement!

Favorite products? White Rain Extra Body Hair Conditioner and Giovanni products, but the WR is really hard to find.

Routine? CO mostly. I wash every 3 days, or so. Once a month or so I might use shampoo. I use a microfiber towel, and then air dry. No hair dryers or straighteners. I do hide the gray (I started going gray at 20, and now am over 50% gray) with Natural Instincts- Medium Brown/Hazelnut, but I only do root treatments and I spread them out as far apart as I can. I average four to five root jobs a year.

I, too, am tired of people suggesting I cut my hair to "look younger" which is really funny because no one ever guesses I'm as old as I am. Thanks for starting the thread.
Happy birthday!:D

wahmof9
March 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
What da ya think?

Organix serum versus chi serum?

Sherwood
March 8th, 2011, 11:46 PM
May I join in?
Do people really tell other people they should cut their hair? Can't say it has ever happened to me, but then I would ignore it anyway.
I am 59.
I have had long hair most of my life, except for a period in my late teens early twenties (OK, that was my mother telling me that I was too old to have braids, so I guess that my last statement was wrong LOL). At about 27 it was finally long enough again to braid, and has never been shorter since then. I have only been to hairdressers perhaps 6 times in my life, and have only been happy with the result once. One of the reasons why I have long hair; but it is long mostly because I like it that way.
My hair is at about classic now; I intend to see just how far it will grow.
Don't know the circ., but do know that it is thinning somewhat, and so won't measure it.
Products? I use Trader Joe's cheap shampoo, but also coconut oil, and my hair feels great.
I have been oiling my hair with coconut oil the night before washing - every 4-5 days. Lately - about the last month - I have been using coconut oil impregnated with amla on my scalp to try to combat my thinning problems; I have some other Indian herbs on order, and will add them when they arrive. Don't know if it is helping, but my hair feels great, and my scalp feels tingly when I massage it in. Even if it doesn't help with the thinning I will probably continue with this just because it feels good. LOL Oh, and I also use a wooden comb that I bought years ago, and put aside, and recently found again; less static than with the plastic comb.

Dina L.
March 9th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I have been oiling my hair with coconut oil the night before washing - every 4-5 days. Lately - about the last month - I have been using coconut oil impregnated with amla on my scalp to try to combat my thinning problems; I have some other Indian herbs on order, and will add them when they arrive. Don't know if it is helping, but my hair feels great, and my scalp feels tingly when I massage it in. Even if it doesn't help with the thinning I will probably continue with this just because it feels good. LOL Oh, and I also use a wooden comb that I bought years ago, and put aside, and recently found again; less static than with the plastic comb.

Have you tried castor oil? It encourages hair growth: either speed or baby hair..

And for all the ladies here! I'm so proud of you even if I don't know you personally. I was in the subway the other day and I noticed how undemanding the women are about their hair here in Budapest. No braids, no buns. The most complicated updos where the pony tails. The longest hair was to midback. The "normal" long hair is about shoulder length, maybe 2-3" below it. Otherwise... horrible statistics... :)
It is so good for my soul to read about long hair. :bow:

Sherwood
March 9th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Have you tried castor oil? It encourages hair growth: either speed or baby hair..

And for all the ladies here! I'm so proud of you even if I don't know you personally. I was in the subway the other day and I noticed how undemanding the women are about their hair here in Budapest. No braids, no buns. The most complicated updos where the pony tails. The longest hair was to midback. The "normal" long hair is about shoulder length, maybe 2-3" below it. Otherwise... horrible statistics... :)
It is so good for my soul to read about long hair. :bow:
I think I'll let the Indian herbs have some time to prove themselves (or not), but I'll keep castor oil in mind for later. Thanks!

mrs_coffee
March 9th, 2011, 02:50 AM
How old are you? I'll be 41 next month.

When did you start growing? Started contemplating it when I turned 40.

What is your goal? Waist is my first goal. We'll see where it goes from there.

What is your cir? It's layered and just past chin length, so I don't really have a circumference to measure yet.

Favorite products? I'm not picky. My hair prefers coney conditioners, and I oil my ends with camellia oil when they feel like they need it.

Routine? I CWC 2-3 times a week and oil the ends when necessary. That's about it.

How long do you plan to go? Ultimately? No idea.

wahmof9
March 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Welcome...what a great group you guys make!:cheese:

UP Lisa
March 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hi. I'm 50. Still can't believe it. Started growing my hair out at 42, after many years of having short hair. Hadn't had it long since I was a teenager. I always thought my hair was too fine and thin to have it long. And too tangly.

I always loved and admired long hair on other people. Finally decided to try one more time for long hair. I figured I could always cut it if it didn't work out. My goal was Waist; didn't know if it would ever grow past BSL. Made it to Tailbone, and have cut back to Hip since then in an effort to thicken up the ends.

My major problem with my hair is the tangles, and the fact that I still have to wash my oily scalp every other day. Always had my natural color till last year when I wanted to try Red. Loved it, and plan to color it again this Spring.

My circumference was 3". Not that much now, since I've lost some due to knots that I couldn't get out. Hope to get back to 3".

All my life I thougth my hair was straight, and I've had many perms. Started to see waves after joining LHC, and I love them!!!

jlw9222
March 9th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I can definitely join this group. :)

How old are you? I will be 41 on Saturday.

When did you start growing? I officially swore off hairdressers (cutting) October 2009 after I went in for a micro trim (I was approx. BSL) and left with hair a couple inches past my collarbone. I was fed up with the couple inches past collarbone length that every hairdresser seemed to be determined to keep me. I have always wanted really long hair and never have succeeded...until now. ;)

What's your goal? I have switched my goal at least three times. Currently, I want BCL. I promise to stop then. ;)

What is your cir.? It's a little shy of three inches. I think I'll have a solid three inches once my sides catch up with the rest of my length...I just love those shorter pieces. They do love to challenge me.

Favorite products? I love, love, love coconut oil and Suave Green Apple/Waterfall Mist/Wild Cherry Blossom conditioners.

Routine? I'm now doing CO washes. I love them. I use one of the above mentioned Suave conditioners for my scalp and grab one of my other moisturinzing conditioners for the ends. I rinse, then, I use another conditioner (sometimes blended with honey) on the length down to the ends. I let that concoction sit for a couple minutes. I also put a little regular conditioner on the ends after final rinse as a leave in. Wow! It's like a science experiment just to wash my hair! :)

How long do you plan to go? I'm hoping I can stop at BCL...I'm about hip length now. It's amazing how fast hair can and will grow if you don't cut it. :)

kmoc123
March 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I am 50 and my hair is 39.5 inches....I am growing to my knees....I love my hair looooong! I started growing it really long about 10 years ago for a second time. It was waist length and I chopped it off GI Jane length...ugh!!! My products are Tresseme Anti Breakage and Aragon Oil....

Athena's Owl
March 9th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm 41 and I set a goal length at hip in 2005, but I had been trying to grow my hair back from a forced haircut at 14. I'm past that goal length now and trying to decide what to do next, but I don't think growing any longer is in my goals. I haven't measured circumference so I don't know the answer. I conditioner wash and my favorite brand is suave naturals.

jenhow
March 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
It's so good to find this thread! Exactly what I need. I have always wanted to grow my hair long but for some reason never really got past BSL before getting it cut. I am determined now, though and while i don't think anyone's ever told me I'm too old for long hair, I do get the feeling that it's not really kosher in this society!

I'm 45 and have been growing seriously since May 2010. It's about armpit length when wet.

My routine is wash, condition twice a week- henna every 6 weeks or so (henna gloss in between if too busy). I don't use cones. I coconut oil my hair once a week. I mostly wear my hair up. My goal is waist length so I've got a few years to go but am really enjoying growing - not just for the length but I love the fact I'm nurturing my hair and showing it the respect it deserves after years of neglect!

Thank you all for teaching me so much.

Pierre
March 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM
My products are Tresseme Anti Breakage and Aragon Oil....
Can you make Castile soap out of Aragon oil? :D

wahmof9
March 9th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Is aragon oil the same as as argan oil?

sycamoreboutiqu
March 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Over 56 here. I have had my hair relatively long for the past 6,7, 8 years or so (can't really recall) but I think it was after I stumbled upon the LHC that I got the notion that it might be FUN to grow as long as I could - especially since it would be expected that I would do the opposite and chop it off.

Oddly, my daughter - now 29 - had also been growing her hair long without really planning to, she just decided she didn't want to chop it again. So we began an "unofficial" contest to see who could get the longest , as we were pretty much at the same length.

She has straight, blonde hair whereas I have wavy auburn (henna, thank you) so there is quite a contrast. Her hair has been getting thicker as she gets older (a good thing) and I am hoping mine gets a bit thinner as I get older, also a good thing. My mom still has thick hair at 80 so I guess I may have to just deal with.

I am loving having waist length hair on my way towards 60, hoping to get to hip or classic as by then - may go longer - just depends.

I have to say that hair care at this length is far EASIER following the LHC recommendations than it was a few years ago at only shoulder length doing the usual frequent washing, blowdrying, brushing - followed by all the time spent trying to reduce the frizz and damage. What a relief !

Who knew ???

sycamoreboutiqu
March 9th, 2011, 11:27 PM
True Castile is supposed to be made with Olive oil only, but the description has changed in recent years to include natural soaps with a combo of Olive and Coconut or Palm oils.

That would be expensive soap, unless the Argan were just a small portion of the base oils.

Idun
March 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Can you make Castile soap out of Aragon oil? :D

That´s funny! :laugh:

wahmof9
March 10th, 2011, 11:24 PM
What does your hair routine look like?

moonlight
March 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Do you Henna or cassia?

I did henna until it realized I did not want roots when my grey grew in...so now I am doing cassia...

My mix is half henna, half Cassia. by the time I switched to henna from regular dye (about 6 years ago), I was already very gray, and didn't want to be. But my sister has never colored and went gray just like I did...huge streaks in front. It looks so cool and I'm jealous that I can't grow mine out now.

sneakybea
March 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM
What a fun survey! I'll play!

How old are you? I'll be 42 in September

When did you start growing? Around age 10 or 11 or so

What is your goal? Not sure if I have one. I like my hair the length it is now; I'm just trying to keep the ends full and healthy looking.

What is your cir? Somewhere around 3.5-3.75. It tends to shrink when my hair is dirtier.

Favorite products? Right now I'm using Cocoa Pink's Princess 'Poo (hate that name) and Shine Sweety, using up Aussie's Cleanse and Mend. I have also used and liked Neutrogena's Triple Moist and Aubrey Organics GPB and JAY (but those are too pricey for me to use regularly).

Routine? Shampoo and condition every 2-3 days, letting it air dry (sometimes in an updo).

How long do you plan to go? Right now I'm not planning to go any longer; my hair is below waist length.

I'm getting grey, particularly in the bangs area. Sometimes I like it--it's kind of a ghostly gray, and I have cool coloring, which I think can pull off grey pretty successfully. However, sometimes I hate it, particularly since, aside from the grey, I tend to look younger than I am. No one has told me yet I should cut my hair because of my age.

SheaLynne
March 11th, 2011, 01:09 PM
How old are you? Will be 41 this summer

When did you start growing? Officially since dd was born and I cut it off in early 2005 when she was 3 mo due to the massive shed going on, but cut to shoulder length and layered in 2007 and after that headed for longer for sure. Saw hairdressers twice after that and decided I never wanted to spend that kind of money to be unhappy again, and have gained length since Jan 2009, beginning self trims in fall 2009.

What is your goal? All natural, undamaged length at classic, but will probably try it longer than that to see how far I can go and how I like it. Trimming monthly 1/4 inch to gradually get rid of damaged ends while gaining length.

What is your cir? About 4.25 inches

Favorite products? Still struggling with this. CO washed with Suave naturals for about a year, but recently began scalp washes with Suave clarifying or VO5. Use coconut oil on length, and have been adding it to the shampoo.

Routine? Wash about 3 times a week, airdry, NO heat styling, scalp wash and CO length, coconut oil on damp length and daily on dry length

How long do you plan to go? Until I decide it is too long, or until I know I liked another length more and I'm okay with not knowing if it could go longer.

wahmof9
March 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Thank you for sharing so readily...I am enjoying reading all your posts

KLin
March 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
How old are you? 42

When did you start growing? college 1988, then after youngest son in 2002

What is your goal? currently wanting hip

What is your cir? 3"

Favorite products? Tressame Nautral conditioner, ACV

Routine? CO, ACV with rosewater, jojoba oil

How long do you plan to go? On and on and on...

Fizz
March 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM
How old are you?

Been growing and cutting since childhood!
In the last 18 years my hair length has been: shoulder, waist, short bob, layered bob, then back to waist again. Currently heading to tailbone!

What is your cir?

About 4" I think

What is your goal?

Will probably keep going until I run out of patience.

Favorite products?

Charles Worthington at the moment. But also Herbal Essences or The Body Shop.

Routine?

Wash 6 days out of 7. I'm a baaaad girl :o
Don't own a brush, only wide tooth comb.
Never comb when wet. Blow dry as last resort.
I like coconut oil treatments.

SurprisingWoman
March 11th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Woah, this thread has grown. How awesome!

I had my DH trim my hair about 3" the last time I shampooed. Loved it.

Tried to get him to cut another couple of inches yesterday when I shampooed and he wouldn't. He likes it long and he thinks it's too fast. I guess he has his own two week rule. ;)

I LOVE my hair three inches shorter. It is back to being swooshable. It is still just past classic and I am going to maintain here for a while.

The ends look much better now too so it's all good.

Just wanted to give y'all an update.

Misti
March 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM
How old are you? Way, way past 40. ;)

When did you start growing? I have had long hair most of the time since I turned 12, in reaction against a permanent pixie up until then. But I have had three cuts since then, most recently to the shoulder in December 2000.

What is your goal? Not sure -- terminal, perhaps.

What is your cir? Very, very, very small. I have never measure it, but my braids are tiny.

Favorite products? baking Soda, Apple cider vinegar, rosemary oil, jojoba oil.

Routine? BS/ACV and oil most days.

How long do you plan to go? Currently pondering a trim (I have had one in the last 10+ years) but I don't really foresee stopping.

jennyjb
March 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM
How old are you? 44

When did you start growing? When I was about 14, so it's been fairly long for my whole adult life - I had it heavily layered for about the first 10 years and used lots of product on it, then started to let the layers grow out - I haven't been to a hairdresser for about 15 or 20 years. Sometime last year I discovered LHC, decided to grow out my fringe and stop using straighteners on it, and to let the rest grow as long as I can get it.

What is your goal? To see how long it will grow.

What is your cir? Haven't a clue, hold on a minute while I find the tape measure......oh, its about 3 inches (but the ex-fringe isn't in the ponytail yet)

Favorite products? Coconut oil

Routine? Wash and condition about once a week (coney stuff seems to work best for me), coconut oil between washes to smooth the frizz, clarify and touch up the roots once a month (level 2 semipermanent) - I don't feel ready to be silver yet. Trim the ends about 1/4 inch each month or so to try and get the hemline to thicken up. No blowdrying or heat. I wear it up or in a french braid most of the time.

How long do you plan to go? As long as it will get. And when I retire I'm going to let it go silver and then dye it fun colours and be a crazy-haired old woman:D.

wahmof9
March 12th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Tried to get him to cut another couple of inches yesterday when I shampooed and he wouldn't. He likes it long and he thinks it's too fast. I guess he has his own two week rule. ;)

I LOVE my hair three inches shorter. It is back to being swooshable. It is still just past classic and I am going to maintain here for a while.

Thank you for the update!

shelleybean
March 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Thought I'd join in as I've recently turned 40. :)

How old are you? 40 as of January 2011

When did you start growing? I started regrowing in 2004 from a pixie cut so for 7 years. I had previously had long hair as a little kid and in high school. I spent most of my 20s with all sorts of hairstyles mostly shorter than shoulder length. I grew it out to shoulders with the intention of growing it long and joined LHC in 2001 but ended up cutting it back to a pixie because my partner didn't like the long hair. In 2004 I decided I wanted it long whatever anyone else thought about it!

What is your goal? My original goal was waist length but I've passed that a while ago and I'm at tailbone currently. I've decided I want to see what classic length is like especially since the partner who disliked my hair is finally history and my new sweetie loves my hair. Thank goodness!!

What is your cir? 3", I did just have a massive shed a few months ago. I believe it was a stress related shed (getting divorced). It's finally slowed down to a normal amount of daily shedding. For which I am totally grateful!!

Favorite products? Chagrin Valley Whipped cocoa butter, Toadstool shampoo & conditioner, Camelia oil, Aubrey Organics and Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I'm a product junkie but mostly stick to natural products.

Routine? These days it's the Toadstool Shampoo, daily, followed by the leave-in conditioner. I use a wide tooth comb to detangle and occasional brushing with a BBB. I sleep with my hair in a silk sleep cap most nights and wear my hair up in buns most of the time. Before bed I usually smooth cocoa butter or some oil in my length then throw it up in my sleep cap.

How long do you plan to go? I'm not sure. Just when I think I won't want to go any further I just don't want to cut. LOL! So I guess we'll see how long I keep that up. LHC has been so inspiring on this front as there are some gorgeous very, very long haired folks here.

Fiferstone
March 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
How old are you? 49 -- will be 5-oh next January...and sorta looking forward to it.

When did you start growing? I have had long hair off and on most of my adult life. I had waist-length hair in college (with bangs), cut it off when I started graduate school into a more "professional" looking shoulder-length blunt cut bob, and thanks to poverty as an editorial assistant, started growing from that point around 1988. For 12 years I never set foot in a salon and trimmed my own bangs/ends myself. :)

What is your goal? Just to see how long it can actually get. Had been mowing it off at waist length before I discovered LHC and figured out that cones really don't do anything good for me ;)

What is your cir? 2.5-3 inches (I think...don't really measure it much because I'm a finey and it's discouraging)

Favorite products? ONE hair biscuit, Lush Trichomania, Lush Karma Comba, Lush Jungle conditioner (I see a pattern)...apple cider vinegar dilution for rinsing, coconut oil for heavy oiling before a full wash, yemeni henna.

Routine? Alternate between scalp washes and full-length washes every 3 days or so, heavy coconut oil the night before a full wash day, 3 days after a full wash day do a scalp-only wash. Henna (yemeni henna) every 2 months.

How long do you plan to go? Until it stops by itself, to quote the song, and I plan to keep it long for the rest of my life, or so long as it's me able to take care of it.

Good luck and happy growing. A couple weeks ago I received my first hair-related compliment. A lady in line behind me at Dunkin Donuts complimented me on my red hair and said she wished she could show it to her colorist so that her colorist would know the exact shade she wanted for herself. Didn't have the heart to tell her it was henna and I do it myself.

julliams
March 12th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I'm turning 38 in a month so I'm not quite allowed to be here but....

I have been deliberating my age and long hair in the last week or so. I went so far as to think about cutting back to BSL and getting rid of my layers. I'm now starting to think that perhaps it is my layers that give my hair a more mature look, since a blunt hemline is often what young children have until they reach their teens.

But honestly, if I didn't have long hair, I know that it would actually be so much more work and I'm just not sure I want to do that. It would also mean going back to heat styling for me since my curl only develops with length.

I do wrestle with this at times.

wahmof9
March 12th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm turning 38 in a month so I'm not quite allowed to be here but....

I have been deliberating my age and long hair in the last week or so. I went so far as to think about cutting back to BSL and getting rid of my layers. I'm now starting to think that perhaps it is my layers that give my hair a more mature look, since a blunt hemline is often what young children have until they reach their teens.

But honestly, if I didn't have long hair, I know that it would actually be so much more work and I'm just not sure I want to do that. It would also mean going back to heat styling for me since my curl only develops with length.

I do wrestle with this at times.

You are more than welcome here :)

Mountaingrrl
March 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM
How old are you? 47

When did you start growing? October 2010

What is your goal? BSL is my next goal.

What is your cir? ~4"

Favorite products? Coconut oil, argan oil, AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner.

Routine? CWC or CO 2-3 times a week. Liberal use of oil. Finger-comb only.

How long do you plan to go? As long as I can, as long as it looks and feels good.

Sooze
March 13th, 2011, 01:41 AM
How old are you? 48

When did you start growing? Also October 2010

What is your goal? Am just on shoulder length now and aiming for APL. Have had long hair almost all of my life with three episodes where I stupidly cut to chin length. Why? 1st time to see what it looked like. 2nd time to please OH. 3rd time as I hadn't discovered LHC and was at my wits end with my hormonal hair, curly frizz and fairy knots!

What is your cir? ~2" :( Thinning every year.

Favorite products? Olive Oil, Burts Bees Avocado pre-wash butter, Linco beer shampoo and Inecto coconut conditioner. Rajasthani henna and cassia mix for colour

Routine? Clarify, heavy oiling, w, c. Brief, cool, blowdry to damp, and pin up. Comb through curls when dry with fingers. Refresh between washes with lavender water spritz and pin. Finger comb when dry.

How long do you plan to go? APL will be my natural end point as my hair just doesn't seem to grow any longer now.

julliams
March 13th, 2011, 01:56 AM
How old are you? 38 :o

When did you start growing? September 2009

What is your goal? Waist was my goal and I'm there!

What is your cir? 5"

Favorite products? Redken Fresh Curls Curl Recovery, coconut oil and milk

Routine? Wash, condition, leave-in every 2 - 3 days. hair treatments (Redken mask, SMT or Coconut milk soak) once a week. Air dry every time to almost dry, then damp bun.

How long do you plan to go? I'm planning to grow to hip, decide whether I want a blunt hemline and go from there.

hootski
March 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
How old are you?

Last month! (Feb 2011)

What is your goal?
My current goal is to get from APL to BSL

What is your cir?
Probably barely 2 1/2". I got it trimmed a few weeks ago and have a lot of layers. My bun majorly shrunk, but it will grow as my layers get longer (I'm going to keep long layers)

Favorite products?
I'm a newbie at treating my hair like an antique lace tablecloth, but my current list would be:
organic cold-pressed coconut oil for my length
Nature Clean 99.9% natural shampoo
Nature Clean 99.9% natural conditioner
Moroccan henna
organic indigo
castor oil for pre-poo scalp treatmentRoutine?
castor oil to my scalp and hour or two before washing
wash about every 3-4 days (shampoo scalp, work the lather to ends; condition a couple of inches down from my scalp)
I curl my hair with de-commissioned velcro rollers (translation: I pulled the velcro off and use the plastic cylinders - with kleenex wrapped around them for a smooth surface - to air-dry my hair. I keep them in with these metal clips that amazingly enough don't catch my hairs 99% of the time :D. Very lightweight and comfortable...I just can't leave the house!)
I blow dry my side-swept bangs with warm air. If I didn't, they'd separate off into another direction. Other than that, I'm experimenting with giving up blow drying my roots with head upside down.
I wear it up with a hair stick around the house
No longer use styling products
I've just switched to a non-SLS shampoo, and a cone-free conditioner
One-step hendigo once a month (I only just started last week)
I've asked for a satin pillow case for my upcoming birthday!How long do you plan to go?
I'm thinking waist length.

hootski
March 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure how the pumpkin got into my post...and I can't seem to edit it! :o

Pixna
March 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
How old are you?
I am currently 57.

I started RE-growing to long after a post-menopausal meltdown in 2007.

What is your goal?
Probably hip. But really, I don't have a specific goal in mind. Just a whole lot longer than it currently is.

What is your cir?
A little over 4 inches.

Favorite products?
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and condish, and Kimberlily's Defrizz spray.

Routine?
Wash with shampoo and condish twice a week, followed by Kimberlily's Defrizz spray. Detangle with my Madora comb, and air dry. That's it -- nothin' fancy.

For the rest of my life. :D

Slinks
March 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
:-) this is where I've, as a newbie, decided to jump in ..

How old are you? I'm 46

When did you start growing? I didn't actually "start growing" it just happened, one day my daughter just said your hair is getting so long .. from there I decided to let it go, it is usually around this time where I will get it cut ASL because I do aerobics, my hair in a pony gets caught under my armpits .. now I wear a hairstick, it was a dear e-mail pal that turned me into a hairstick fan .. Hi girlfriend !! :-)

What is your goal? I don't think my hair will grow very long BUT if I had a choice I would like hip legnth ..

What is your cir? my hair is pretty thin/fine so it's only 2 and a half inches ..

Favorite products? ah, testing right now .. have been using Root Awakening, olive oil, fresh from my garden Aloe Vera and just this morning I bought a bottle of Hemp Seed and Orange oil conditioner .. that one I can't wait to try .. the Aloe Vera made my hair so silky, that is bound to become a favourite .. oh and I "think" I like my dry ends Serum Advanced Techniques from Avon, as I said testing ..

Routine? poo and cond probably 2 x per week, with Serum oil on ends nightly, every other day CO ..

How long do you plan to go? if I had a choice I plan to go hip length but I seriously don't think it will get past my waist ..

Do I dye my hair? No I don't I'm going to let my hair go gray, I have under 10 grays

lol, hope you don't mind my adding the last Q :-)

morningstar
March 14th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I am 46 and have been growing since I was 42. I am currently at waist. I started growing from shoulder length and had lots of damage to cut out. I only use Lush shampoo bars and what ever conditioner I have around. I once in a while do water only washes for a a few weeks to have a thicker head of hair.
I color with Henna. Celebration Henna only these days. I sometimes put some buxus in it or do it after the henna.
I trim my own hair. I never wear it up and mostly I love it. I would love to grow to hip length. Well that's about it. I am very casual about it and do not baby it much. :)

GermanCurl
March 14th, 2011, 08:27 AM
How old are you? Mid-fourties

When did you start growing? November 2009

What is your goal? BSL

What is your cir? About 3 to 3 1/2 inch

Favorite products? Morrocan Oil

Routine? Wash/Condi with Natures Gate Herbal, Flaxseed Gel w/ a dab of Morrocan Oil.

How long do you plan to go? About 6 more months until my goal of BSL

trolleypup
March 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM
How old are you?
45 (checks math)

In my mid teens, to annoy my mom, very shortly figured out that I preferred it long...kept it with bangs and shoulder lengthish until the late 90s when I decided to stop cutting/trimming.

What is your goal?
My goal is sadly beyond my terminal length.

What is your cir?
iii

Favorite products?
Water, white vinegar, minimally scented very dilute shampoo

Routine?
WO with intermittent use of above shampoo on canopy. Too lazy to manage to do WO twice a week which I need for pure WO. Washing every week or so. Vinegar rinse is critical for scalp happiness...hair doesn't care about the routine.

No plans to cut. I have plenty of silvers filtering in.

Do you dye your hair?
Nope. I got my first silver at 17, and it didn't bother me then...maintenance of roots would keep me from doing it even if I did care...I'm just way to lazy for that.

Misti
March 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Slight detour for those over 45...? Did you notice a lot of thinning during and after your 40s? (From the photos, I'd guess it's not universal...)

UP Lisa
March 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Not so far, thank God.

In2wishin
March 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
How old are you?

Around 8th grade when I was old enough to say "No" when my mom wanted me to get another pixie. I ranged from BSL to just above the shoulders until about 5 years ago when I decided to see just how long I can grow it.

What is your goal?
Tailbone but I would be satisfyed if my terminal was waist.

What is your cir?
Currently 2" but it was almost 3" last summer. I had a really high fever that caused me to shed 1/3 of my hair. I think :pray: it is growing back.

Favorite products?
Homemade shampoo, Babassu oil, yak horn comb,

Routine?
Wash 2X a week with oil shampoo. Add a small amount of argan oil to the ends as a leave-in. Braid for sleeping plus sleep on a silk pillowcase.

Until I get tired of it (not likely)

Do you dye your hair?
Not any more. I stopped a year ago and plan to show off my silvers in all their glory.

Viscountess
March 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I will be 46 this June

I started growing my hair about a year and a half ago. I have longish layers that reach BSL , shorter in the front and the longest strands reach my waist.

I'll be happy with waist length but we'll see how long it gets.

I wash 2x a week with Live Clean shampoo/conditioner and finish with their argan oil treatment. I am just starting to experiment with shampoo bars

I henna my hair with LUSH cacca marron and cacca rouge (one square of each) every six weeks or so. I routinely use coconut oil, and sometimes (often) go overboard!

I braid my hair for nightime and for day I keep it up in a figure 8 bun with two spin pins. I'm working on keeping my hair up except on weekends to help keep it healthy.

LaurelSpring
March 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I qualify! I am 48.

I just had my 3 year hair growing anniversary this month. Before I hovered around apl with layers which I shampooed, blowdried and curled every single day. The last 3 inches were white dot city!

I came to LHC from a post on Hennaforhair and when I saw all of the beautiful hair and updos I was hooked and have never looked back. My hair is so beautiful and healthy now. Love it!

I do have silver which I am blending with a Cassia mix. I constantly debate on how long I am going to keep doing this but Im not quite ready to stop yet. It should be an easy transition though because it is very subtle.

My routine has shifted alot and I bounce around. Right now I am shampooing twice a week. I alternate between Indian herbs, a honey shampoo, a gentle sls, or dairy whip (until it runs out) with baking soda. I either condition or mist with my water/oil mixture depending on how it feels. I butter or oil the ends daily.

I am pretty much at TB I think right now and heading to terminal or knee whatever comes first. I am in this for the long haul now. I love my hair all of the time now!!! When it was shorter I was never satisfied.

wahmof9
March 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM
How old are you?
45 (checks math)

In my mid teens, to annoy my mom, very shortly figured out that I preferred it long...kept it with bangs and shoulder lengthish until the late 90s when I decided to stop cutting/trimming.

What is your goal?
My goal is sadly beyond my terminal length.

What is your cir?
iii

Favorite products?
Water, white vinegar, minimally scented very dilute shampoo

Routine?
WO with intermittent use of above shampoo on canopy. Too lazy to manage to do WO twice a week which I need for pure WO. Washing every week or so. Vinegar rinse is critical for scalp happiness...hair doesn't care about the routine.

No plans to cut. I have plenty of silvers filtering in.

Do you dye your hair?
Nope. I got my first silver at 17, and it didn't bother me then...maintenance of roots would keep me from doing it even if I did care...I'm just way to lazy for that.

Same here!

georgia_peach
March 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
How old are you?

November 13, 2010 was my last hair cut.

What is your goal?
Short term: bottom of my ears
Long term: waist first, but possibly longer

What is your cir?
Can't tell yet as I can't get a ponytail! :)

Favorite products?
J.R. Liggetts or Mehandi shampoo bars

Routine?
Wash with shampoo bar every two or three days,
lightly condition with whatever is in shower,
finger comb and then air dry

LT goal is at least waist but I'd love to see what my terminal length would be. I'm also trying to grow out with no trims at all. Never been prone to splits and I don't do much to my hair that would be damaging.

bytheocean
March 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Let's see:

I'm in my early 40's and the gray's are here. Life it to short to worry about them though.

I started growing my hair from just above shoulder length 5 years ago to give away to LOL. I then found out some stuff and also realized that my hair does/looks much better longer (plus my dh likes it) and so decided to keep it. In that time I've had a few very small trims given by my dh.

My goal is classic, though I've been thinking about fingertip a lot recently. Right now I'm about an inch away from true tbl.

Last time I checked (when I joined) my circumfrance was right on the border of ii/iii exactly.

I don't use products other than OO. I brush, oil the ends, then rinse my hair the next day.

Moonfairy
March 15th, 2011, 06:10 PM
How old are you? 41

When did you start growing? Ive always had longish hair,had tail bone length last year and had a cut,which i needed as it was all messed up due to dyeing& general mistreatment.Its now about 4-5" below bra strap.

Whats your goal? Back to tail bone,possibly waist but mainly improve condition.

Whats your cir? ive lost a lot recently due to low Thyroid its quite thin,just over 2"

favourite products? Coconut oil

Routine? Conditioner only every other day,coconut oil pre wash & shampoo conditioner when it starts feeling icky,Aussie leave in condtoner,finger comb and dry naturally,slick of coconut oil if its bit frizzy.

How long to you plan to go? As long as I can get it

Do you dye your hair? Yes Im currently very bright pillarbox red with bright orange pieces at the front sides.

wahmof9
March 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Let's see:

I'm in my early 40's and the gray's are here. Life it to short to worry about them though.

I started growing my hair from just above shoulder length 5 years ago to give away to LOL. I then found out some stuff and also realized that my hair does/looks much better longer (plus my dh likes it) and so decided to keep it. In that time I've had a few very small trims given by my dh.

My goal is classic, though I've been thinking about fingertip a lot recently. Right now I'm about an inch away from true tbl.

Last time I checked (when I joined) my circumfrance was right on the border of ii/iii exactly.

I don't use products other than OO. I brush, oil the ends, then rinse my hair the next day.

Great attitude...it is all a matter of perspective and what really is important in life

mrs_coffee
March 16th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Moonfairy, the hair in your avatar is fab! I love the color.

GlennaGirl
March 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Moonfairy, the hair in your avatar is fab! I love the color.

I love that color too.

wahmof9
March 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM
So how your ladies doing?

UP Lisa
March 18th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Well, I'm worrying about possible traction alopecia on one side of my hairline. I have never thought it would be a problem, since I can't stand to have anything tight enough to pull.
I have worn my hair in daily updoes for several years, though, so hope I haven't caused a problem. There are two small areas without hair that i don't have on the other side. I'm hoping it's always been that way, but if that were the case, why would I suddenly be noticing it?

wahmof9
March 18th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Well, I'm worrying about possible traction alopecia on one side of my hairline. I have never thought it would be a problem, since I can't stand to have anything tight enough to pull.
I have worn my hair in daily updoes for several years, though, so hope I haven't caused a problem. There are two small areas without hair that i don't have on the other side. I'm hoping it's always been that way, but if that were the case, why would I suddenly be noticing it?

Hummmm...I am sorry to hear that. Maybe ask a friend or Dh and see if they notice anything. HUGS

wahmof9
March 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
According to DH my hair is only about 2 inches from waist! Yeah....well that is stretched....when curly I don't want to know how far it is...it's depressing

cottage46
March 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM
How old are you? Just turned 43

When did you start growing? About 25 years ago. I had long hair as a kid, shoulder length or shorter in HS, then let it grow again out of sheer laziness.

What is your goal? It's waist length now and I'm happy with that. I have an inch or two trimmed off once a year or so.

What is your cir? I think it's around 2" depending on how recently it was washed.

Favorite products? I feel like I'm in a constant state of experimentation. I love coconut oil and use Glisten Shine Drops a lot. My hair likes cones.

Routine? I wash pretty much every day unless I'm not going anywhere. I usually let it go unwashed on the weekends, but my bangs get greasy in a hurry. I put coconut oil on the ends at night if I think of it. I blow dry on cool setting unless I'm wearing it up (about half the time).

How long do you plan to go? Tailbone would be OK.

Do you dye it? I had blond highlights done about 5 years ago and I'm tempted to do it again. I don't love the grays, but on the other hand, I'm really lazy. Also been thinking about trying cassia.

silverjen
March 27th, 2011, 07:18 PM
This thread is inspirational! Thanks to all who have contributed.

MindBeforeMouth
March 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
How old are you?
When I was 13.
What is your goal?
TBL
What is your cir?
I havent mesured it before but I have thin/fine hair.
Favorite products?
I like hair treatments/masks.
Routine?
I wash everyother day I shampoo, use a deep conditioner, and after I use a leave in creme.
I plan to go around TBL probly a little bit longer then that.

CurlyGirlCa
March 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
How old are you? 50

When did you start growing? 2009 - but got sidetracked last year because I decided to stop dyeing.

What is your goal? As long as it will go.

What is your cir?

Favorite products? Argan and Coconut oil, Sudzz FX Cashmere shampoo/Moxie Conditioner, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner (cone :( )

Routine? Wash Tues/Thurs/Sund - try to air dry as much as possible. Try to use sulfate-free and avoid cones (but I love the Mixed Chicks LI Condish)

How long do you plan to go? Even though I'm not coloring I do not want to cut it more than necessary.

andwife
April 13th, 2011, 10:06 AM
How old are you? 40

When did you start growing? I was BSL but made a conscious decision to start growing it out longer sometime in August 2011 after looking through the LHC site and realizing I had never really “grown my hair out”. I then spoke with my husband who said, “you don’t get do-over’s in this life”. I thought what the heck! I turned 40 September 2, 2011. Many friends feel that my hair is too long and wonder what the reasoning is behind my long hair, which I think is really weird. When I look around me I see very few women my age with hair my length. That makes me very cool and special.

What is your goal? I hope to be a lady with long gray hair. I started at 27 inches and I’m at 32. I want to grow my layers out as well.

What is your cir? I think it was 2.5 inches when I started.

Favorite products? I just started with Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars and really like them and I like plain old African Pride Hair Oil despite all the others on my bathroom counter.

Routine? I wash my hair about every 4 days conditioning the ends every time. I do an ACV rinse one shampoo and SMT the next time I shampoo.

How long do you plan to go? Not sure yet. I guess I’ll know when that time comes. I have several friends and my husband in place to tell me when too long is too long. But, then again- I’m in charge :)

AmericanWoman
April 13th, 2011, 10:59 AM
My hair has always been long-ish. (not quite APL) I was 48 or so and decided I wanted to have waist long hair. Natch, before I reached waist, I decided TB was perfect for me. I reached waist 3 years ago and am pretty much maintaining at hip. I have to keep trimming. Too many split ends, but I suppose I might make TB eventually. Not too many almost 55 yo women with hip length hair, so I didn't do too bad. ;)

bella77
April 13th, 2011, 11:26 AM
How old are you?well 38, so technically not 40, but can I qualify being so close???

When did you start growing? always wanted long hair, just could not seem to get there, so I would say after my last child was born I made the promise to myself to have long hair for once in my life.

What is your goal? right now BSL- long term goal- waist

What is your cir? don't know currently

Favorite products? suave coconut condish, CV bars, any poo bars really, my stash changes so much, I don't really have anything I love

Routine? wash 1-2 times a week with cwc, co on other days, no heat styling, let air dry in bun or down and then braid or bun

How long do you plan to go? would love to get to waist, but I am not sure if my fine, thin hair will go that long and still look decent

GRU
April 13th, 2011, 11:47 AM
How old are you?well 38, so technically not 40, but can I qualify being so close???

ABSOLUTELY you can join in! :D

Honestly, given the current culture of "over 30 / at momhood = cut hair short / soccer mom hair", I think the 30s would probably fit right in with this thread.

bella77
April 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
why thank you very much GRU:cheese:

CurlyCreature
April 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I'm not 40... but I plan on being one of you lovely ladies when I am <3

GRU
April 13th, 2011, 06:56 PM
why thank you very much GRU:cheese:

You've very welcome, m'dear! :D

I'm not 40... but I plan on being one of you lovely ladies when I am <3

And we look forward to having you join us! :D

telegraph64
April 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I promise you now, if I were to cut my hair short, I would look at least six years or so, older !!
;)

MissySue
April 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
How old are you? 42

When did you start growing? July '07 I finished a round of chemo and I've been growing since (with a few small cuts).

What is your goal? Waist length

What is your cir? 3"

Favorite products? Coconut oil, White Rain shampoo, Sally's generic version of Matrix Conditioning Balm, and also Finnese Volumizing Conditioner when I need some cones.

Routine? Really simple - shampoo & condition every other day, coconut oil the night before, air dry, wear it up most of the time.

How long do you plan to go? Waist length or maybe tailbone. I've never had hair past midback so I'm not sure I can grow it that long. Please wish me luck, or maybe send long hair vibes my way :).

Earth Angel
April 14th, 2011, 08:17 AM
How old are you? 40 1/2

When did you start growing? forever! seems to have been same length for 10 years but then I did get it trimmed often, had silly layers put in at front and had it highlighted a few years ago, which i've now stopped....so technically I've been 'regrowing' since sept 10

What is your goal? At the moment Waist, but would love to get to tailbone if possible. Haven't had hair longer than mid back so hopefully with all the tips and advice on hair care it will get there ;)

What is your cir? about 2"

Favorite products? at the moment Superdrug Colour Radiance Blonde shampoo & Superdrug Camomile & Honeysuckle conditioner.

Routine? CWC, let air dry and apply some jojoba oil to ends as they can be dry and frizzy (I have very fine wavy hair), once a week will use an intensive treatment, either Superdrug Colour Radiance Blonde Intensive conditioner or VO5 emergency rescue one minute intensive Elixir with Cashmere. Sleep on satin pillowcase or braid hair at night.

How long do you plan to go? as long as possible that looks healthy and managable

CathyEarnshaw
April 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How old are you? - 56

When did you start growing? - A year ago. I had a chin length bob.

What is your goal? BSL

What is your cir? 4 inches

Favorite products? Nexxus Pro Mend line. Moroccan Oil. My hair loves cones.

Routine? wash, condition and leave in, twice weekly. A touch of coconut oil in between washes. I wear hair in a variety of styles.

How long do you plan to go? BSL

SheaLynne
April 14th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I promise you now, if I were to cut my hair short, I would look at least six years or so, older !!
;)

This is an interesting sidebar to this thread...I am routinely told that others think I am much younger than I am. Of course, it may contribute that I have children who are younger, so I get grouped with other younger moms with kids the same age...but at least I do not look like the granny in the group (yet) :p

telegraph64
April 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Oh, just enjoy it while it lasts, why don't you? ;) Stress speeds up aging. Hehe. I meditate, and have meditated since I was in my teens. I miss those days in a way, but looking back on it, it's all just life phases. It's about enjoying what is right now, and planning on how to make for the best, of then and later. :D

ETA- I'll take the survey, it's about time.

How old are you? - 47

When did you start growing? - A handful of years ago, when I cut my knee length hair off to get rid of mechanical damage. I cut to APL.

What is your goal? Back to knee, of course !!

What is your cir? 2" - but with very thick strands.

Favorite products? Oils, I am not a very big product user, but sometimes I use Mane n' Tail products, and sometimes suave.

Routine? Oil, shampoo, light leave in oil, hair always in a braid or braided bun.

How long do you plan to go? Knee, or possibly beyond, for the record of it !!

wahmof9
April 15th, 2011, 11:31 PM

Your hair is breathtaking beautiful!

dragonette@1
April 16th, 2011, 12:27 AM
How old are you? 53

When did you start growing? 2008 from just above the shoulders. Joined LHC in July 2010 at APL, and started loving my hair again.

What is your goal? Waist

What is your cir? Baby fine hair, not sure.

Favorite products? Toadstool shampoos and conditioners, coconut oil, monoi oil, and castor oil.

Routine? Shampoo three times a week, and condition only in between; no blow dryers, no heat styling. I use SMT once or twice a month, and micro trim myself every four weeks using Feye's method after every henna.

How long do you plan to go? Waist, with all old damage trimmed off.

wahmof9
May 24th, 2011, 06:09 PM
How is everyone doing?

Firefly
May 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM
How old are you? 42

When did you start growing? For the most part I've always been long-ish. Started actively growing towards waist 4 years ago.

What is your goal? Originally waist, but I'm here now and want to go to hip at least... possibly tailbone.

What is your cir? about 3" I think... had a little trouble with the measuring tape. :o

Favorite products? unrefined, plain Coconut Oil, Nightblooming Panacea

Routine? Alternate CO with CWC (diluted wash for the "W"), coconut oil on the ends. Occasional DTs, ACV rinses; more detailed info in my blog.

Happy to be here. Looks like I'm in good company! :D

Gypsygirl
May 25th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I've always had long hair and don't intend to hack it off any time soon just because of a silly number.

pixiestar
May 25th, 2011, 01:47 AM
How old are you? 44

When did you start growing? Last cut 10th Nov 2010

What is your goal? Waist hopefully:)

What is your cir? 2 1/4

Favorite products? Tresemme naturals, avg, henna, have been trying lots of products since joining lhc. Love Kimberlilys defrizz spray.

Routine? Pre scalp oil, with castor oil, coconut oil, rose water and filtered water, then CWC. Trying to air dry, not always possible. Henna glosses every 2 weeks, building up to full app:D Want to try catnip rinse's soon.

How long do you plan to go? As long as pos, as long as its healthy:D

UP Lisa
May 25th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Well, I'm just busy trying to keep my hair from tangling, and trying to get the ends thicker. Keeping it at Waist for now.

emeraldshade
May 25th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I just turned 49, and I started growing my hair (yet again) last July. I plan on growing it as long as it will get--not gonna let anyone stop me again, no matter what they say! My hair love's Burt's Bee's sugar beet and grapefruit shampoo and conditioner, and coconut oil.

dulce
May 25th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I am 59, and have almost waist length gray streaked hair,and hope to grow it to tailbone length.Long hair in my opinion is a state of mind not based on age.Unfortunately I don't think society in general agrees with me!

Bunnyhare
May 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Fun thread! i want to join, because i firmly believe that anyone can have long hair ,no matter age!
i am 42(the answer to all questions in the universe LOL) and i have had long hair most of the time in the last 20 years. my first 20-22 years were little boy cut short hair...

i plan to grow terminal, and take what my body will give me! i am holding at about tailbone trimming out layers right now.

i do have some sparkles and i love them dearly! i have worked hard for them , and plan to show them off proudly for as long as i am vertical on this earth!

i don't have a "set in stone" routine, i use Nightbloomings panacea summer salve almost every night, and i wash with Pantene, my hiar loves it and i love how my hair loves it! i have tried all kinds of other stuff, and this works best for me!
Yea 40+

catamonica
July 26th, 2011, 07:34 PM
At age 53 in 09 my hair was about 2 inches past midback. Then I startedn using horse shampoo. Im 55 now & its one inch past my waist. Thats propably as long as it will grow. As
soon as the red dyes gone, it will be allgrey. Used to be natural red. Im going to use white vinegar to lighten it. Red heads who turn grey have darker grey. And it would look better, if
there is more white than pepper. Also afew capfuls of olive oil, in your shampoo & conditioner
makes the hair soft. Maybe two capfuls. And miniced onion in your shampoo makes the hair
thick. No split ends because of the horse shampoo. I havent been to a beauty parlor in 30 years. I would rather trim my own hair. If your older with long hair, they just want to chop it off. And who can afford to go. I wish some one would start a thread about women who quit
going to the beauty parlor.

mrs_coffee
July 27th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I wish some one would start a thread about women who quit going to the beauty parlor.

From what I've seen/read here there are more members who avoid the beauty parlor than embrace it.

UP Lisa
July 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I stopped going about 8 years ago. They are too rough with it. They won't take the time to be gentle. They just rip through my VERY tangly hair. I would never have gotten it nearly this long if I let them touch it.

Earth Angel
July 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I'm in! :-)

How old are you? 40&#190; (41 in September)

When did you start growing? Since September 2010 when I stopped going to hairdressers for trims as had been made redundant from job and couldn't afford it.

What is your goal? At the moment I'm aiming for waist, but would love to get to tailbone length

What is your cir? less than 2"

Favorite products? John Frieda Blonde shampoo & cond, Superdrug blonde shampoo & cond.

Routine? At the moment I'm trying F.A.S.T shampoo & cond, to help speed up the rate of growth ;-) Using it daily as its mild

How long do you plan to go? At the moment its tailbone and when (or if?) I get there would keep it for as long as I can and just maintain to keep it healthy looking

BritHair
July 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Greetings All. I have been lurking for quite some time, absorbing all this wonderful information, and decided to jump in. Here goes....

How old are you? I am 49 and 1/2 years young.

When did you start growing? I had long hair up until I had cancer 11 years ago. When my hair grew in I kept it short for a few years, so I guess officially I started in 2005.

What is your goal? I would like to try for classic length. It is just below hip at present. My true goal is to have truly healthy and happy hair.

Favorite products? Hmmm.....so many of them. Suave clarifying shampoo, Kenra shampoo, Herbal Essence, Suave coconut conditioner, L'Oreal mega moisture, coconut oil, jojoba oil.

Routine? CWC. Shampoo every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, with CO and oiling in between.

How long do you plan to go? I would like classic just to see if I can, otherwise waist length is a nice maneagible length for me:D

Heartwillfollow
July 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
How old are you? (45)

When did you start growing? (last cut to chin was Nov 2010)

What is your goal? (waist)

What is your cir? (41/2)

Favorite products? (sauve , olive oil, castor oil , henna, cassia)

Routine? (CWC once a week, air dry, french twist, or down , ignore until next wash) (am on a no comb kick right now, no reason for the madness)

How long do you plan to go? ( no time limit to stop)

:)

embee
July 27th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Why have I not seen this thread before now??? (out to lunch?)

* How old are you?

I'm in my 60s! (never thought I'd live this long)

* When did you start growing?

Always wanted long hair, stopped cutting/trimming (except for one terrible lapse) in 1990. Did an 8 inch chop in 2005 hours before discovering LHC. Bummer.

* What is your goal?

classic (terminal seems to be what I'm reaching though...)

* What is your cir?

med/thin

* Favorite products?

My Denman brush and wide tooth comb and my MeiFa sticks. (they're not products but they're what I use...)

* Routine?

This year I'm NW/SO. So far so good. Last year I was WO and it was ok too, but I dread washing hair in winter - so cold with wet hair hanging down...

* How long do you plan to go?

Forever. If it grew another 6 inches I'd be pleased (and amazed). If it grew thicker I'd be delighted, but that might require some genetic engineering!

Madora
July 27th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Started growing in 1958

Goal: 50 inches..or longer, if my mobility issues permit

Favorite Products: George Michael Pink Shampoo
Tresemme Naturals Conditioner wAloe/Avocado (no sillicones)
Goody pure boar bristle brush
wide tooth comb

Routine: 100 strokes with my bbb every morning when I get up
Wash once a month
EVOO once a month
Hair is always up and braided

I belileve in less is more!

Rtzgrl
July 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I turned 50 this year, so strange because most of the time I still feel 12.

My hair has yoyo-ed between shoulder length and waist length since I cut it short after college. It was tailbone length at the time, and I really wanted a change. I wound up getting the shortest haircut I'd ever had, plus a spiral perm. Never Again!

I started growing it out from shoulder length this last time after I retired from being a nanny five years ago. It is now at about hip length, and I think I'm going to leave it long this time.

I only use shampoo, (good old Suave) because I discovered that my hair really doesn't like conditioners. They weigh it down and make it stringy. I only wash about twice a week now, and it seems to be doing really well.

So far I haven't been getting any remarks about being too old for long hair, but I do wear it up in a bun most of the time, so most people don't realize just how long it is. I wouldn't listen to them if they did tell me to cut it. It's my hair, not theirs!

I have quite a few silvers now, some the full length of my hair, but they don't show up very well yet. I have to be out in full sunlight to really see them, and it can be a bit of a shock if I haven't looked for awhile, because they are multiplying fast. :eek:

Oh, and by the way, I haven't stepped foot in a salon since 1989.

IanB
July 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Err, just a tad over 40! Had long hair in the 60's, then again in the 90's and early 00's Then in January this year decided it was time for no more trims, so been growing ever since!

georgia_peach
July 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM
How old are you? 44

When did you start growing? after getting pixie cut in October 2010

What is your goal? waist or possibly hip length

What is your cir? too short to tell right now

Favorite products? Mehandi shampoo bars, Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner

Routine? Currently wash and condition every other day but will start stretching my washes further as my hair gets past neck length. Comb gently and airdry. Use little claw clips to create some variety in my styles.

How long do you plan to go? Once I get to waist, I'll evaluate and see if I want to go even longer.

archel
July 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I just turned 40 in May and I look a little younger from having to wear sunscreen my whole life (yay for that Irish pallor). I have a few grays that are mostly stained auburn from the henna I started a few months ago. I'm a person who always goes between the chin length bob and then growing out again to about waist. This time I may go longer. I'm not sure I'll ever cut it short again though.

I have fine hair but TONS of it, so sort of thick and fine at the same time. It's not sure if it's wurly or not. I'm using low poo Giovanni shampoos (usually Smooth As Silk but I will occasionally clarify with 50:50) and the 50:50 Hydrating/Calming conditioner which is awesome. I oil with Ojon (mostly palm/jojoba I think) and sometimes EVOO. I just made a castor oil and grapeseed oil mix with a little lavender/vanilla EO for a scalp rub to get some more good growth going. I have ditched all cones and SLS. I sometimes CO if it just needs freshened up, but I can't do it all the time without going lanky. I try to only use my BBB and I just ordered 2 wood combs. I think I may get a tangle teezer. I'm trying to be gentler after decades of abusing my hair (I was a teen in the 80s, after all).

long gone
August 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Threads like this one are why I joined...
How old?--I am 48. When I started Growing? 2006. --Great Story-- I married a man ten years younger than myself. I started going white in high school with one monster streak on the right side above my temple. I planned on not coloring my hair, but did not want it to look like my husband had married his grandmother, so I caved. After five years of marriage and a parade of hair colors--I basically cut my hair to less than an inch-and started over. I am wl, and uncolored, my hair has not been this 'virgin' since way before I was still 'virgin'. I have never lied about my age, but when my dh was still 29 and I was turning 40, I made HIM lie, and tell everyone that he was 32. To this day he is not sure how old he is.
I let it keep growing because I thought short grey hair was sooo aging. I got so much grief from everyone-too young to be grey, you can't rob the cradle and think you could get away with not coloring? Grey hair is not stylish. (What do they know) Why is it so long, it is not suitable on a woman your age, or my favorite slight--you are too mature for long hair. Favorite product. I do not buy any commercial hair products, ever.
Routine--borax+baking soda shampoo once every 2 weeks followed by a white vinegar rinse (acv deposits color on the white). Moisture spray daily--distilled water+sea salt+rosemary oil-makes my frizzy hair a 2c or 3a) Oiled ends daily--castor+evoo+glycerin. My hair is 33". And at this age I am finally mastering the messy hairstyle. (I could have been so much cooler if I had figured all of this out when young, sigh) Yes, I am too old to be measuring my hair, it's crazy. I have not measured the circumf. but it's stupid thick. I spend more time on this website than I do on my hair, you ladies are not only inspiring but great company as well. Goofy hair tip: I take cuff bracelets, yeah-like the big native american kind-or steampunk, and pin them into my messy updo's.

Misti
August 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Threads like this one are why I joined...

Welcome! :p

I am too old to be measuring my hair, it's crazy.

Nope. Never too old for that.

What you may be getting a little to old for is worrying about what you're too old for. :D

long gone
August 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Misti, you're absolutely right! A good, smart thing to do seems to be timeless. Thanks for the welcome, the websites a great deal of fun, but I have also learned more in the last few weeks about hair than in a lifetime of searching and struggling to find answers.

Ardellis
August 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
What a great thread!

How old are you? 46

When did you start growing? My hair's always been between shoulder and BSL (I'm told I had a pageboy when I was 3, but my father hated it). I thought I'd pretty much hit terminal length at BSL but then I found LHC recently, so officially I guess the answer to this is about three weeks.

What is your goal? so I'm going to see if I can get to waist after all. After that, we'll see.

What is your cir? About 2.75"

Favorite products? Still working on that. I've already developed a fondness for EVOO.

Routine? I've been an every-other-day S&Cer for years, but I'm trying to alternate S&C with CO on that schedule. We'll see how it goes.

How long do you plan to go? I don't ever see myself with short hair; not as long as I can care for it.

UP Lisa
August 3rd, 2011, 05:45 AM
That's the scary part. Getting to a point where we can't care for our hair.

What a great thread!

How old are you? 46

When did you start growing? My hair's always been between shoulder and BSL (I'm told I had a pageboy when I was 3, but my father hated it). I thought I'd pretty much hit terminal length at BSL but then I found LHC recently, so officially I guess the answer to this is about three weeks.

What is your goal? so I'm going to see if I can get to waist after all. After that, we'll see.

What is your cir? About 2.75"

Favorite products? Still working on that. I've already developed a fondness for EVOO.

Routine? I've been an every-other-day S&Cer for years, but I'm trying to alternate S&C with CO on that schedule. We'll see how it goes.

How long do you plan to go? I don't ever see myself with short hair; not as long as I can care for it.

Vintagecoilylocks
August 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM
That's the scary part. Getting to a point where we can't care for our hair.

I am training my daughter how to care for my hair . I keep a journal with my regimine and recipes and starting to save money for my old age for a private nurse.:) I just finished caring for my elderly mother. I actually got her hair to grow longer than it ever was. Then she had to spend time in a nursing home and lost it all again. Thats when my daughter assured me that they would make sure if that happened my funds would be spent to care for me and my hair.:D

One800mom
August 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM
How old are you? 43

When did you start growing? Except for one experimental buzz cut in high school, I have always had at least shoulder-length hair. I have just determined to grow it longer, ever since noticing that my stylist's "trims" have been making it shorter and shorter every 6-8 weeks.

What is your goal? BSL, with no layers

What is your circumference? 3 1/2 inches - I have lost quite a bit of hair volume with major shedding over the last year. The emotional and physical stress of a chronically ill child, lead to hair loss.

Favorite products? I like the V05 blackberry sage tea conditioner, Suave coconut conditioner, making SMT potions for my hair, and my daughters' hair.

Routine? Every other day CWC - currently trying to stretch washes with a CO once per week. SMT and clarifying as needed.

How long do you plan to go? Once I get to bsl, then grow about 4-5 inches of layers out, I'll re-evaluate to see if I want to grow longer.

Eden Iris
August 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Ooh, can I join? I've been away from LHC for awhile, so this seems like a good place to jump back in.

How old are you? 42

When did you start growing? October 2007, with one real cut and some self trims since then.

What is your goal? Honestly, I'd be thrilled to get all my hair to BSL. My kids brought home a lice infestation this year, and I got a little obsessive with the nit comb, which ripped out tons of my very fine hair. I've got a serious taper happening, and my buns are tiny.

What is your cir? 3" -- thicker than I thought it was!

Favorite products? HennaSooq Yemeni henna, a wide tooth wooden comb, Giovanni Triple Treat S&C

Routine? S&C once a week, henna four times a year, aloe gel as a leave in and styling aid, coconut or olive oil on the ends when I think about it.

How long do you plan to go? No idea -- that depends on my hair. If it grows, it can stay. I only have a few white hairs now, and the henna makes them copper/strawberry blonde. If I get a lot more of them, I may have to let them shine.

redcelticcurls
August 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
How old are you? 41

When did you start growing? I'm not sure if I call myself a grower. I've gone back and forth between short and long and probably will. I'm more curl focused than length focused.

What is your goal? Right now, I like the BSL to mid back range. I've hit waist a couple of times, and I don't like my hair at that length. I've also just lost 30 pounds, and I don't want to hide my new found figure.

What is your circumference? It was 6 inches today, but the dewpoints have been pretty high for a few weeks. It'll be back to 4 or so in the winter.

Favorite products? Kinky Curly Knot Today, Curling Custard, Come Clean, and Pomade. Curl Junkie Daily Fix, Curl Rehab, and Repair Me. Mango oil. Castor oil.

Routine? My summer routine.
Wash: Daily Fix, Come Clean, or a blend of the two.
Detangle: Knot Today. I finger detangle.
Condition: dew points are high so I can handle a good but of protein. I use Repair Me as my rinse out.
Leave-in: Knot Today
Seal: mango or castor oil
Gel: KC Curling Custard

Air dry in the summer. I may put in some jaw clips at the roots to keep them from being flat while drying.

When dry. Scrunch out any crunch.

2nd, 3rd day hair etc. Sleep in a cap. Use pomade a necessary in the morning to replace any wayward curls.

How long do I plan to go? No longer than mid back.

redcelticcurls
August 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I forgot the last question. I get my hair dyed at a salon.

How old are you? 41

When did you start growing? I'm not sure if I call myself a grower. I've gone back and forth between short and long and probably will. I'm more curl focused than length focused.

What is your goal? Right now, I like the BSL to mid back range. I've hit waist a couple of times, and I don't like my hair at that length. I've also just lost 30 pounds, and I don't want to hide my new found figure.

What is your circumference? It was 6 inches today, but the dewpoints have been pretty high for a few weeks. It'll be back to 4 or so in the winter.

Favorite products? Kinky Curly Knot Today, Curling Custard, Come Clean, and Pomade. Curl Junkie Daily Fix, Curl Rehab, and Repair Me. Mango oil. Castor oil.

Routine? My summer routine.
Wash: Daily Fix, Come Clean, or a blend of the two.
Detangle: Knot Today. I finger detangle.
Condition: dew points are high so I can handle a good but of protein. I use Repair Me as my rinse out.
Leave-in: Knot Today
Seal: mango or castor oil
Gel: KC Curling Custard

Air dry in the summer. I may put in some jaw clips at the roots to keep them from being flat while drying.

When dry. Scrunch out any crunch.

2nd, 3rd day hair etc. Sleep in a cap. Use pomade a necessary in the morning to replace any wayward curls.

How long do I plan to go? No longer than mid back.

raishalini11
August 17th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Hello every one..fairly new here and enjoying the wealth of information.

Well I recently turned 41 (11th August). To start with I had long and thick hair in my 20s (Waist length) but you know sometimes you get bitten by latest trend so same happened to me and in a day from waist length I went to shoulder length:rolleyes:..

After that started the experiment with hair colors and shampoos which made things worst on top of PCOS. My hair never grew beyond shoulder length:(

I felt the need of desperate measures when started shedding like anything and could see my scalp:mad:. Thankfully came across this community and decided to go shampoo free..turned back to henna which used to be my weekly thing in my 20s and praying for my lost hair to grow back..

Though I know will never be able to achieve that thickness ..still took the right path but bit late ..or too late???:confused:

Mymagicfairy
August 17th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I am turning 40 in feb ...and I am growing my hair
I had longer hair passed my shoulders as a teenager
Back then I ruined it with sun in...which gave me tons of split ends
My hair got more thinner...after having three kids in my twenties
Then in my mid thirties...I colored it to no end...between blonde and brunette
Kept it short....
Went through some medical issues....which caused more hair loss
Now that I have turned to homeopath medicine
As well as proper care of my hair
I henna as well....I am growing ...and hoping for three years ..of no cutting
I don't know how long it will be...but my starting point was in march...a super short pixxie cut
Now I am at the ugly mullet stage
Lol

GnGirl
August 17th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Thank you all, this post made me feel better. I just turned 40 in 2010 and was feeling like I was to old for long hair, but after reading all the posts I'm just gonna keep growing. Thanks again girls :)

dulce
August 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'll be 60 next year!! You're never too old to have long hair!And there are gals older than me here with gorgeous long hair!