PDA

View Full Version : Did I just do something stupid?

musicallberrii
March 7th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen my previous thread about the dry, stiff ends.. I have really been slacking on my hair care lately because life has been so hectic. I decided to oil my hair since I will be clarifying tonight, and the only oil I could find was baby oil.. Yes, I put it in my hair :confused: Did I just do something stupid? Does baby oil even moisturize hair at all? I didn't use a ton, but mostly used it on the ends and a light brushing through the rest of the hair..

Anje
March 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
There are people who like it to hold in moisture, but mineral oil generally doesn't absorb into hair or moisturize it at all.

Make sure you work plenty of conditioner into your ends, and it should wash right out. Next time, go down to the kitchen and grab an oil you can eat. Olive oil is known to be particularly good.

selderon
March 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
That doesn't sound too bad. It's not like you took the hedge clippers to your hair and, say, lopped off an ear. ;)

chopandchange
March 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Oh, don't worry! If your hair is the kind of hair that responds well to oiling, you should be fine! Most people don't like mineral oil because of it not being "natural" but after all mineral oil is in most conditioners and lip balms etc! Personally I don't use it on my lips but lots of people do! ETA: isn't it dug out of the ground? Why isn't it "natural," then?

The only issue you might have is that it might not wash out so well, perhaps.

There's a member on here who oils her hair regularly with baby oil, and it's beautifully shiny. I can't remember her username - Raven somebody.

jojo
March 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I tried baby oil many moons ago wayyyyyy before LHC and my hair if I remember rightly came to no harm! just ae sure to add only conditioner (no water) and leave for a good 5 minutes before rinsing.

wvgemini
March 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I've gotten it in my hair before (used to use it as moisturizer) and it didn't do any harm. You should be fine!

That doesn't sound too bad. It's not like you took the hedge clippers to your hair and, say, lopped off an ear. ;)
That made me laugh harder than it should have.

musicallberrii
March 7th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Lol, thanks everyone for the replies! I am going to leave it in for fun and see if it does anything to help my hair or affects it at all :) I was scared I ruined my hair!

DuckyDot
March 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I used to use it, but I didn't like it. It won't do any damage though!

tigr
March 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I used it once as a hot oil treatment. I slathered it in my hair and then got a towel wet with as hot of water as i could stand and wrapped my hair up. After the towel cooled off, I washed the oil out. It really helped my hair recover from the straw-like texture it had developed from a week of swimming in the ocean.

So it's not the worst thing in the world to put in your hair :)