PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Dry, Stiff Ends?

musicallberrii
March 7th, 2011, 12:09 PM
The last 2 ends of my hair are really dry and stiff. If I pick up my ends and hold them up in the air, they stick straight up! I think this is from previous damage, but I really don't want to cut it all off and lose length.. I think if I have to cut my hair, I will feel discouraged and end up cutting it all off short. Has anyone else had this issue and did anything work to help your hair? I am trying to grow it to atleast waist and then maintain and get rid of the ends..

enfys
March 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Have you tried clarifying? Before cutting, it is always worth clarifying as sometimes build up will act in odd ways.

When my ends are having a particularly bad day, I will apply a coney serum to them. If they are dry but don't feel fluffy and fuzzy I will oil the ends fairly heavily before braiding for bed and that always softens them.

skyblue
March 7th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Put a dab of coconut oil or which ever oil you like best on them, then just do little micro trims on your ends maybe once month or every other month, this way your hair can still grow and you will cut the damage away a little at a time til its gone, also do a search on google for SMT (Snowys Moisture Treatment) I have better luck with google then trying to search here for some reason lol and try that and see how you like it and do it at least once a week, I know I'm new here but it has worked wonders for me so hope it helps you ;)

Debra83
March 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joico chelating shampoo will work wonders. Also, you should check out my ends in the pics after I used GF Triple Nutrition (coneless) conditioner. Night and day.

musicallberrii
March 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM
enfys, I have clarified recently, a couple weeks ago.. I might try clarifying just the ends tonight and see if it helps any. I am awful about consistently using oil, usually I just wash my hair and let it do what it may, but I need to do something to moisturize more..

skyblue, I have never done a SMT before and have been dying to try coconut oil as well.. I will have to give both a try this coming week and see what it does for me

Thanks to you both for your replies :)

Anje
March 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
First I would suggest clarifying, then soaking in some conditioner for a while for more moisture.

Are they rough, or just stiff and dry? Mine get stiff, dry, and rough when I run my fingers over them if I use a protein conditioner for more than a wash or two, so I stay protein-free most of the time. Consider that as a potential problem before you trim them off.

musicallberrii
March 7th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Debra83, I will have to try the Garnier next time I buy shampoo and conditioner.. I am not a big fan of the smell, but if it works for my hair I would definitely use it!

Anje, thanks for the tip.. I will soak in conditioner tonight as well after I clarify.. hopefully it will help some!