PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo only?

gypsymoth
March 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hi there! This is my first time starting a new thread so hopefully I don't mess up!

I'm wondering if many people here use only shampoo when they wash their hair (opposed to CO, CWC, WO, etc. methods). Or is that just blasphemous in the hair care world?
If you do or have in the past, what sort of experiences have you had?
What kind of shampoo did/do you use, and how often did/do you use it? How did/does it fit into the rest of your routine?

I haven't used conditioner for a few months and I'm still not sure what to think.
Hair-wise, I feel in limbo! :confused:

Hopefully this thread is in the right spot or isn't just repitition of another one...

Kathie
March 6th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Shampoo- bars are so gentle that it is possible to use them without conditioner, I wouldn’t use a SLS based shampoo without conditioner though.... on my hair anyways. How is yours reacting?? What sort of shampoo are you using?

Amraann
March 6th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I would think that using only shampoo would be drying.
At least it is for me.

Fufu
March 6th, 2011, 08:48 PM
If it works fine for your hair, it shouldn't be any issues. I definitely need to use conditioner, my hair feels weird without them.

gypsymoth
March 6th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Shampoo- bars are so gentle that it is possible to use them without conditioner, I wouldn’t use a SLS based shampoo without conditioner though.... on my hair anyways. How is yours reacting?? What sort of shampoo are you using?

I've just been using the SLS shampoo I had when I first joined LHC. I only use it every 2-3 days, sometimes longer. I'm not sure if it's just my hair type, but my ends end up feeling kind of dry and my scalp seems greasy after the 3rd day of no washing. Obviously I need to change something!

Hmm, maybe I'll try out a shampoo bar.

gypsymoth
March 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM
If it works fine for your hair, it shouldn't be any issues. I definitely need to use conditioner, my hair feels weird without them.

I'm afraid if I start using conditioner-only or even just add conditioner, I'll feel more greasy. :(

Lianna
March 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
If your hair isn't dry, I don't see why you should stop/change routine if you don't want to. I know some people with waist length hair that just uses shampoo. I could get away with it for a while, and have tried for about three weeks, after this my hair was starting to get dry, but I was using SLS everyday and just a bit of olive oil as "anti-frizz" agent. Considering my hair is bleached and dyed (and quite wavy, bit curly), I thought it was pretty cool that I could do it, even if I just did for three weeks.

gypsymoth
March 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM
If your hair isn't dry, I don't see why you should stop/change routine if you don't want to. I know some people with waist length hair that just uses shampoo. I could get away with it for a while, and have tried for about three weeks, after this my hair was starting to get dry, but I was using SLS everyday and just a bit of olive oil as "anti-frizz" agent. Considering my hair is bleached and dyed (and quite wavy, bit curly), I thought it was pretty cool that I could do it, even if I just did for three weeks.

Wow, everyday?!
I can't imagine going back to doing that, haha. But I suppose it truly is different for everyone.

Lianna
March 6th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Wow, everyday?!
I can't imagine going back to doing that, haha. But I suppose it truly is different for everyone.

Today is shampoo and conditioner everyday. Something I always did and shouldn't have changed, as a newbie here I tried a lot of new things, including CO and water only. Water only for two months, CO several months, and I really thought it was going nicely, but then I noticed that my hair didn't grow as much as usual in all those months. Nothing changed but that, so back to shampooing everyday and my hair grows normally again.

The everyday SLS doesn't "dry out" my hair, if I didn't, I'd have natural oils to my tips by the third day of no washing. My hair likes touching water everyday (have all my life), even more my scalp because I live in a very hot weather all year around. I do oil my hair everyday too, mostly with EVOO, which helps with moisture retention and softness.

I do think that just shampoo and oil is a good routine though, sometimes conditioner can make your head itch, or makes the drying time take forever. You could also just shampoo, towel dry and apply some leave-in conditioner, then lightly oil, which is my current experimental routine since I need to buy some more conditioner, but this is going pretty good so far. :)

ETA: I enjoyed your thread idea, since I like things simple. I hope more people talk about their experiences.

gthlvrmx
March 6th, 2011, 10:05 PM
it used to be all i needed for me, because even two days after or three, people used to notice how greazy my hair was. That was 3 years ago. My hair was fine until i started wearing my hair in pony tails and using gels and products to style, thats when i needed to take off damage and use conditioner. The ends are usualy drier, but it's usually never a bother. I don't think it'll be so bad for your hair, but it all depeneds on what you see. Everyone's scalp is different

ericthegreat
March 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Everyone's hair is different, so everyone will also have different hair needs. Also, depending on how long your hair is, its natural texture, and also what you do or have done to your hair in the past (like coloring, highlights, straightening, heat styling) will play a huge factor in what products your hair needs.

But in general, shampooing only usually works best for people who have short hair and intend on keeping their hair short (like pixie length, bob length or above shoulder length). When the hair is that short, your natural scalp oils can easily and quickly travel down to coat those hair strands. However, once hair gets significantly longer, the vast majority of people will find that their ends will get much drier, because the hair is too long and their natural scalp oils can't travel all the way down to their ends. This is where you will usually start needing conditioner or applying an outside oil to those ends.

I see that right now, your hair is still not quite that long at only 25 inches. But you are planning on growing much longer than that, so it would be a good idea for you to go out and buy a conditioner and try it out on your ends only. There are obviously a million different brands out there, but since you are using a standard SLS shampoo right now, your best bet would be buying a coney conditioner. Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine is one of my favorites in terms of the coney conditioners I've tried. I myself don't use shampoo or coney conditioners...................I currently follow the CO routine, so I only use a conefree conditioner to wash my hair.

Kathie
March 7th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I've just been using the SLS shampoo I had when I first joined LHC. I only use it every 2-3 days, sometimes longer. I'm not sure if it's just my hair type, but my ends end up feeling kind of dry and my scalp seems greasy after the 3rd day of no washing. Obviously I need to change something!

Hmm, maybe I'll try out a shampoo bar.

Sometimes a person’s scalp can produce more oil than usual because of the SLS. Also, if you've just recently increased the day’s in-between washes it can take a while for your scalp to adjust.
With the CO method I've read that it can take a while for your scalp to stop producing as much oil as it use to when stimulated by SLS, but after the adjustment period their scalps calm down.

You need to take care of your ends though, so I agree with ericthegreat, at least start conditioning your ends, or oiling them... if they are feeling dry they need some attention :flower:

One other thought... what about using a BBB to help distribute the oils along the hair shaft?

Lianna
March 7th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure if it's just my hair type, but my ends end up feeling kind of dry and my scalp seems greasy after the 3rd day of no washing. Obviously I need to change something!

Sometimes a person’s scalp can produce more oil than usual because of the SLS.

I agree, Kathie, but that wasn't the way for me. I was CO for several months, and still had to CO everyday, or everyother day (looking a bit greasy this day). Could I not wash? Sure, but I rather look very clean all the time.

You don't need to "change something", gypsymoth. There's nothing wrong with washing your head, specially on the 3rd day, which I think is the most common need in the real world.

I suggest you do a little testing to see if SLS is causing you overproduction of oils, if not, it's just the way you are. And it's fine.

gypsymoth
March 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Sometimes a person’s scalp can produce more oil than usual because of the SLS. Also, if you've just recently increased the day’s in-between washes it can take a while for your scalp to adjust.
With the CO method I've read that it can take a while for your scalp to stop producing as much oil as it use to when stimulated by SLS, but after the adjustment period their scalps calm down.

You need to take care of your ends though, so I agree with ericthegreat, at least start conditioning your ends, or oiling them... if they are feeling dry they need some attention :flower:

One other thought... what about using a BBB to help distribute the oils along the hair shaft?

I conditioned my ends today and it made SUCH a difference. I am definitely going to try the CO method. I also bought a BBB recently, so hopefully that will help!

Kathie
March 7th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Sounds like you have everything under control :D

kittensoupnrice
March 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM
FWIW, when I first grew my hair out to classic, before I knew about LHC, I never used conditioner, and my hair was just fine. The silicones in most conditioners was worse for my hair than not using any conditioner at all, although I didn't realize it was the cones causing the problems. All I could see, at the time, were the limp, lank, greasy clumps of hair that formed after a week of using conditioner, so I figured the stuff was just pure evil.

Now that I'm on LHC, I use shampoo bars, since I found out I'm sensitive to the sulfates in shampoo. I generally don't use conditioner with my shampoo bars, but I do occasionally use a cone free conditioner.

If you are finding you are getting good results with just shampoo, great! I'd look for a shampoo, though, that is gentle on your hair, and would steer clear of any of the "combination" bottles of shampoo + conditioner in one. If you'd like a little bit of "slip" to your hair, you could use a light conditioning spray or you could try a light oiling to your ends and canopy. A popular oil here is coconut oil, which could help make brushing/combing easier as well as help control any flyaways.

Moon Doggie
March 11th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Slightly off-topic:
I used to be part of a dreadlock forum (haha, never had the courage to get dreads myself) and they are very pro-shampoo only.
But of course, the goal in this forum is to have hair opposite of dreads :D

Othala
March 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM
When I had short hair, by which I mean shoulder length and above, I only used a mild shampoo and nothing else in the way of hair products. My hairkept on splitting and I had to have regular hair trims to remove them. When my har got longer, the natural scalp oils could not travel all the way down the hair shaft and so oils and conditioners became a necessity for preserving longer lengths of hair without splits or breakage.

Sunny_side_up
March 11th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I alternate with weeks using only shampoo and coconut oil on the wet ends after the wash, but now im finding as my hair is gaining length i feel i like to occasionally put conditioner on.

I enjoy the scent and the manageability of my hair when its treated to a conditioning (with cones) But find this does result in me having to wash sooner as my hair feels weighted down, greasy and sometimes itchy if left too long inbetween washes. Brushing my hair feels so much nicer when its dried after conditioning.

IndigoAsh
March 11th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I shampoo with only organic chemical free shampoos, I get mine at Target they have the best selection, on my scalp only and use almond oil on the ends of my hair.

sunnyhope
March 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I'm afraid if I start using conditioner-only or even just add conditioner, I'll feel more greasy. :(

You need to find the right conditioner I think.

It is a reason that we all should use conditioner, when we wash our hair, regardless if we use shampoos or herbs etc that will open the hair shaft and if we don't close it in one way it will make the hair more fragile and more open to get damaged.

Even when you use a deep conditioning treatment you should use a conditioner afterwards as the shampoo opens the hair shaft, the deep treatment(or oil) will wanna penetrated and go as deep in the hair as possible and for the hair to keep all those goodies it gets we again it needs to be closed.

You can use a leave in or a wash out, as long as it closes the hair shaft.

Using a conditioner is my top top tip as a hairdresser actually: it really doesn't matter if your hair is oily or normal or dry.
When you have long hair(especially and meaning anything longer than 5 inches from the scalp) We need to close The hair shaft.

Misti
March 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Gypsy, when I joined LHC, I used shampoo only. I had to wash my hair every single day -- sometimes twice, if I was going uot, because although my ends were seriosuly dry and crispy, my scalp was a real grease pit.

After I'd been here a while, I added conditioner and then tried CO and CSC and all kinds of things. Eventually, I decided that I wanetd to use less shampoo to see if i could salvage my poor ends. I started putting the shampoo in a squirt bottle and filling it up with water. Over the course of a couple of years, I used less and less and less shampoo until I was using none, just vinegar.

Now I use baking soda to get the dirt out of my hair ever once in a while and mostly use apple cider vinegar.

Oddly enough, my hair looks cleaner after two days now than it used to by dinner when I used shampoo. It could be that you're forcing your scalp to produce more oils to recover because you're stripping it too thoroughly when you wash...maybe?

I know my chronically itchy scalp and perpetual "snowstorm" pretty much ended when I stopped using shampoo. It's been almost two and half years now.

Grejs
March 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I used to only wash my hair with shampoo the second time my hair was really long (almost waistlength). Mostly, I did it because I was lazy. It didn't do anything negative to my hair, infact my hair was in pretty good condition.

This time I "have" to use conditioners tho, otherwise my hair gets really tangled. Not sure why.

dmitri
March 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
A little while back I was only using shampoo (Organix teatree mint), but I was also putting a little olive oil in my hair at that time too. I stopped this to try going conditioner only, which I liked at first. but I ultimately decided I had turned into a greaseball.

Currently... I use both shampoo and conditioner (Organix pomegranate green tea, and VO5 Pomegranate grapeseed respectively) approximately every other day. Some more, some less. I tend to not wash my hair over the weekend. But there are days when I get too oily that I only use shampoo.

Side note: I found a different shampoo at Wal-mart today! It's called Simply U. It's sulfate and paraben free like Organix, but it's cheaper! I picked up the moisturizing and smoothing version to try when my Organix runs out. Of course, now I notice two chemicals almost at the end of the ingredient list that look suspiciously like silicones (very long words that start with "methyl" and end with "linone")... >_< Oh well... I'll try it anyway. There shouldn't be too much in there.

christine1989
March 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I've been trying this too. I have found that ALL shampoos make my hair dry and frizzy if I use them alone EXCEPT the Aubrey organics brand camellia oil shampoo for dry hair. It cleans yet is moisturizing enough to keep the frizz away.

Lianna
March 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Of course, now I notice two chemicals almost at the end of the ingredient list that look suspiciously like silicones (very long words that start with "methyl" and end with "linone")... >_< Oh well... I'll try it anyway. There shouldn't be too much in there.

They're preservatives.

teela1978
March 11th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I've not used conditioner for a week or so at a time (e.g. using SLS based shampoo only), my hair seemed fine. It looked alright, didn't end up with loads of split ends... but it was awful to detangle. If I wore it down for any length of time I'd be fighting with it for much longer than I do with conditioner.

I don't find that conditioner makes my scalp greasy, I only apply it from my nape down really so my length is happy and my scalp is happy.

Kaelee
March 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I use only shampoo except I use a deep conditioner (3MM) once a week. Regular 'every day' conditioner makes my hair freak out! I use a small amount of oil as a leave in instead of conditioner. :)

dmitri
March 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks Lianna!

jasper
March 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Shampoo only was my method for years. It wasn't a method so much as laziness. Also, I thought it made my hair limp. My hair didn't like shampoo only much after growing past bsl. It got to looking pretty ratty.

Now I put conditioner in the length before shampooing, and i shampoo scalp only.

gypsymoth
March 11th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Oddly enough, my hair looks cleaner after two days now than it used to by dinner when I used shampoo. It could be that you're forcing your scalp to produce more oils to recover because you're stripping it too thoroughly when you wash...maybe?

I definitely think it's that. Last year I tried to follow the WO method, during which I of course became a total grease ball. I tried waiting for it to all even out but I was too impatient, even though I understood that when using shampoos as frequently as I was, my hair was overproducing oils and whatnot.
I just get so impatient! Plus, it's hard to stick to an initially greasy routine when you want to look decent for school or work, but I guess that's pretty obvious.

I'd really like to try a shampoo bar like the ones recommended in the official shampoo bar thread, but the shipping prices are so not in my budget.

mrs carol
March 11th, 2011, 08:25 PM
My hair is oily on top and I shampoo only every other day and use acv rinse. Works well for me.

teela1978
March 11th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I definitely think it's that. Last year I tried to follow the WO method, during which I of course became a total grease ball. I tried waiting for it to all even out but I was too impatient, even though I understood that when using shampoos as frequently as I was, my hair was overproducing oils and whatnot.
I just get so impatient! Plus, it's hard to stick to an initially greasy routine when you want to look decent for school or work, but I guess that's pretty obvious.

I'd really like to try a shampoo bar like the ones recommended in the official shampoo bar thread, but the shipping prices are so not in my budget.
Some people seem to have scalps that are irritated by the usual detergents used in shampoos, and like you described above, their scalps produce loads of oil. Not every oily head of hair is due to irritation though. I've tried to stretch washes for very long periods of time and never got anywhere with reducing oil production. Some of us just need to wash more.

x0h_bother
March 11th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I had done shampoo only for years and had the shiniest hair. I needed to stop due to flat ironing every day and the damage. I plan on going back to this method. I thought I posted a thread on this? Glad you did.

lapushka
March 12th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I think it was up until my late twenties, that I used shampoo only, and this for hair ranging from about an inch to between APL & BSL. I did use a silicone shampoo, though (Garnier Fructis). I had no problems detangling, which made conditioner seem pointless and a waste of money. I used to think conditioner made my hair greasy. A lot of the time my hair was just too short to use conditioner (oily hair), anyway.

perkidanman
March 15th, 2011, 11:31 AM
My best friend has BSL hair and only uses shampoo (her hair is very oily). She also blow dries her hair to style it and her hair is glorious. Not one split end and it's always been very healthy. I, on the other hand, would damage my hair to the point where I'd need a buzz cut if I followed the same routine. It's all just a matter of finding what works for your hair. If you don't want to deal with a greasy scalp it might work to just add some conditioner to your tips?

x0h_bother
March 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM
My best friend has BSL hair and only uses shampoo (her hair is very oily). She also blow dries her hair to style it and her hair is glorious. Not one split end and it's always been very healthy. I, on the other hand, would damage my hair to the point where I'd need a buzz cut if I followed the same routine. It's all just a matter of finding what works for your hair. If you don't want to deal with a greasy scalp it might work to just add some conditioner to your tips?
I have an oily scalp and I use to do shampoo only. I didn't add conditioner because a) I didn't need it- it wasn't dry or flyaway or frizzy, and b) it made my hair feel "build up" and sticky right away. Like you said, hair has different needs (and for different routines at different times in life).

x0h_bother
October 31st, 2011, 10:09 AM
I had done shampoo only for years and had the shiniest hair. I needed to stop due to flat ironing every day and the damage. I plan on going back to this method. I thought I posted a thread on this? Glad you did.

So I am officially fit to be tide with my current routine (sc with a billion conditiners and clarifying every 3 days) so if I'm gonna buildup and tangle anyways I may as well return to doing shampoo only and seeing how it goes. I have no plans for leave ins but they are not off the table.
Today is day two, yesterday I clarified to get a clean start, and my tangles were rediculous. But today I didn't tangle as much and was suprised. My length feels dry but I think once it gets used to being able to breathe and not be suffocated by conditioners it may gain more moisture. I also may not wash my hair daily, as was the case in the "old days" of shampoo only.

Vanilla
October 31st, 2011, 11:03 AM
I knew an Asian girl with thick, coarse and straight TBL hair. She never used conditioner in her hair ever. She had very beautiful hair, despite using only shampoo.

If only shampoo works for you, then do what you know works. You had indicated your ends are dry. Maybe try a light detangler and see if that helps at all.

MissCoco
October 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM
For many, many years I only used SLS, coney shampoo's without conditioner, and blowfried/straightened along the way, and I still grew my hair past waist- twice. The only issues I ever encountered were dandruff and combination hair. Thankfully, they quickly went away... in 2009, I started to oil my hair with coconut oil, but still continued to do the rest and no conditioner. After my arrival at LHC in 2010 and a lot of experimenting, conditioner still doesn't work well with my hair, but I've cut out heat to only once or twice a year (except for this year; I was in the no heat challenge :D) and I only use organic shampoo's now, which are much more conditioning. Also, I use Indian herbs, so I don't know if that counts as 'Shampoo Only'.

In any case, maybe conditioner would've worked in the past, but everytime I've tried it in recent months, it makes my thick wurly hair flat, greasy looking and dull colored. So I'm sticking to my SO (that's for Shampoo Only, not Sebum Only :p) + Indian herbs! :D

lapushka
October 31st, 2011, 12:37 PM
What kind of shampoo did/do you use, and how often did/do you use it? How did/does it fit into the rest of your routine?

As a teen I used shampoo only (twice a week). It was some Garnier Fructis shampoo with lots of silicones. I didn't need conditioner. My hair varied in length upto APL/BSL.

nobeltonya
October 31st, 2011, 02:26 PM
I used to only shampoo, and lather it first in the shower and leave it on the whole time I washed everything else, then rinse it last. Yep, my hair was dry... :eek: Now, I shampoo my scalp every day and length every other day, and only leave on for 2 minutes. Much better. Then, I condition the length [from like shoulders down] and leave it on for the duration of my shower and rinse well. Then, spray leave-in on the "underhair" from nape to a few inches from the end. And, I oil my scalp every day [just because it's cold and it's getting dry] and length every other day, and I'm trying to alternate oils because the mixed ones I have all have lemon in them [seems to be overly drying this time of year.. in the summer didn't have an issue]. I like Sunsilk shampoos [loved <3 LOVED thick and long, currently on black shine and don't like it as much..]. Next I'm trying Nyle herbals for the first time in like 1-2 years.. I'd tried it before with decent results, but before I really knew how to take care of it.

Chetanlaiho
October 31st, 2011, 02:33 PM

But aren't a lot of shampoo bars just dehydrated SLS shampoos? O_o

Mayflower
November 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
I only shampoo my hair, have almost never used conditioner.
Now I do sometimes use a LUSH-conditioner when it gets static-y in winter, and I have a poppyseed deep conditioner from The Body Shop that I use from time to time.
But, in general, I wash my hair every 2 to 3 days with Klorane shampoo (which has the milder sulfate Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in it), I wash twice, scalp only. When I get out of the shower I use a little Redken Anti-Snap, a protein leave-in conditioner.
My hair is happy and shiny and has a lot of body and volume. Maybe I'll find a cone-free conditioner some day that I'll agree with :p. But for now my hair's fine!

Kamir0
November 1st, 2011, 10:25 AM
I used shampoo only for years and it's all I needed because:
1) I used to have really greasy hair so conditioner was unnecessary
2) I only wash(ed) the roots with vegan, non-SLS, natural shampoo.

My length never suffered from it (a few flyaways but nothing major). I have to mention that my hair was about waist-length most of the time.

I have decided to reduce (and possibly stop) using shampoo because I have very sensitive scalp and used to get HUGE dry flakes in spite of greasiness after a few days (fortunately that's over not that I only wash my hair once/twice a week), and it was (sometimes still is) quite itchy.

I now occasionally use LAVERA Basis Sensitiv shampoo on my roots only, but I would rather CO-wash, although I have yet to find my dream conditioner. ;)

If you prefer washing your hair with shampoo, why not try a moisturizing, SLS-free shampoo (only on your roots)?

Some have been raving about shampoo bars. I tried a few ones from LUSH and they all turned my hair to hay! I have no idea why...

There also seem to be people who use other types of detergents such as castille soap and soap nuts. Since castille soap is the only soap I can safely use on my face, why not?
I haven't tried it on my hair though...

Hope this helps! :D

blondie9912
November 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM
I would get tons of flyaways in the winter if I did that

I feel like healthy, un-coloured hair wouldn't have this problem, because I sometimes wash my little sister's hair with only shampoo and it looks as glorious as ever when it dries

irishlady
November 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM
I know of some members here who certainly do use shampoo only the majority of the time.

Personally I can't do that exclusively, but I do use shampoo only every now and then.

celebriangel
November 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
I must admit that my own 2c/3a hair SOAKS UP moisture like crazy. Yes, even though I used to be a total greaseball and wash every day.

I never use shampoo anymore, my greasies have calmed down so I can use heavy conditioner and a boatload and oils, and my hair is the best it has ever been.

I think shampoo only is probably not such a great idea for curly hair.

x0h_bother
November 2nd, 2011, 11:20 PM
Makes sense, celebriangel.
Yesterday my leavein spray was a mistake. Today I felt like my hair was tangly to the point of damaging so I used a cone free cond. Ill go back to poo only tomorrow, but if the dreadlock trend continues Ill have to accept that my hair in these past years is too damaged to return to poo only.

Lilli
November 3rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
My hair feels and looks better without any conditioner b/c it is very fine and blonde and mostly straight, but the ends are very dry and damaged from flatironing a bob, so I need conditioner to keep them from breaking. I think when I get to BSL, I might maintain at that length for a year to grow out the damage and try diluted gentle shampoo only.

strawberryfine
September 24th, 2022, 11:56 AM
I use SO, can go 3 days between shampoos. I use Phytojoba shampoo. I shampoo twice as directed and rinse, rinse, rinse until my roots squeak. I detangle very carefully with a wide tooth comb, detangling one section at a time, bottom to top, of course, starting at the nape. I spend a lot of time doing this.
My hair is shiny and feels light with some volume. My hair type is 1c/F/ii.
If I put any type of conditioner on it, it loses it's shine and looks weighed down. SO works best for me and I've tried every method imaginable. I'm growing for length right now but used this same shampoo (only) to grow my hair to waist length a few years ago.
Everyone's hair is different, just like a fingerprint.
I'm just saying that it's not wrong to SO just because it doesn't work for others.
Happy growing
Update on January 19, 2023:
I'm returning to my routine as outlined above because everything else I've tried has left my hair in a terrible state. Curly girly method just messes my hair up something fierce. I've tried curly hair recommendations for 21 years, off and on. I always return to my routine as above and it always works for me. I'm pretty much over curly girl; my hair just does not respond to it favorably.

Duroniel
September 25th, 2022, 03:45 PM
For 34 years my hair never saw conditioner and I had classic+ length. I was planning on continuing that way since I thought less water=less loss of hair colour. Until I started with regular trims and my hairdresser told me I should use conditioner as well. So I have been using shampoo and conditioner for a whole of like two months now :P

lapushka
September 25th, 2022, 04:08 PM
For 34 years my hair never saw conditioner and I had classic+ length. I was planning on continuing that way since I thought less water=less loss of hair colour. Until I started with regular trims and my hairdresser told me I should use conditioner as well. So I have been using shampoo and conditioner for a whole of like two months now :P

I didn't even have conditioner in my teens, they did not sell it like they do now. It was not a "thing". I am 50 years old, so that was... a long time ago.

Obsidian
September 25th, 2022, 05:42 PM
I can't really comment since my hair is so short its almost non existent but my mom has hip length spider web fine hair and she never uses conditioner. She does use anything besides shampoo, maybe a drop or two of oil a couple times a year.
She wears her hair down at times and its so fine it almost floats, I don't know how it doesn't tangle.