PDA

View Full Version : Taming the frizzies?

Cinnamoon
March 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I love wearing my hair down. I love how it makes me feel, the compliments I get, and how it looks. But there's one thing about it that I don't love, and that makes me wear it down very rarely.
The frizzies.
You see, I'm not a curly girl. I have a great awe for the curlies, but my hair is as straight as a stick. Except for one layer. I have a very thin layer, maybe three hairs deep, on the very outside of my hair, that's curly. Most of it is just deep waves, but I've seen plenty of single hair corkscrews there as well. I get a halo all around my hair if I wear it down when it's dry.
I'd really like to tame the frizzies, because they make me feel not as great about my hair. They reduce the shine, and sort of make it stick together a bit, into one mass instead of a shiny, swingy, thing. Does anyone have any ideas on what could help stop the frizz? Currently I shampoo and condition (cone free), but that's it. What might make my hair more swingy and smooth and less frizzy?

Dizzy_zzz
March 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Oh, I had a pretty similar problem and tried EVERYTHING I could think of (oil, gels, mousses, sprays, etc.) but nothing worked. Seriously, the frizz in my hair was so thick you could barely tell it was hair and not some sort of fluff glued to my head. Horrible stuff. Last week, I slept with my hair in a silk scarf, and in the morning, there was absolutely no frizz whatsoever.
I don't know if this will work for you, but I hope it helps!

jaine
March 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Drying my hair in a bun with gel does the trick for me ... I also have these random curly hairs that don't fit the rest of my wave pattern.
The only downside is - if my hair gets wet it reverts back to its original state. Oh well...

Zefyra
March 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I have mostly straight, very frizzy hair. Mostly cuz I had it razor cut about a year ago and the resulting uneveness is still growing out (grr) But Ive found that wrapping my hair in a towel (not rubbing with the towel!!), using a leave-in (with cones though so take it for what its worth...) and waiting till my hair is about 50% dry before I bother combing has helped.
I dont use gels and such though so I cant give suggestions on that....
HTH

spidermom
March 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Put a ponytail on top of your head at night and roll the ends with large curlers - works wonders.

I use product such as styling gel or creme smoothed over the surface of my hair. Natures Gate Styling Putty worked the best, and a little went a very long way, but I can't find that product any more.

sibiryachka
March 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Satin pillowcases, if you're not already using them, might help.

CarpeDM
March 7th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Oh, I had a pretty similar problem and tried EVERYTHING I could think of (oil, gels, mousses, sprays, etc.) but nothing worked. Seriously, the frizz in my hair was so thick you could barely tell it was hair and not some sort of fluff glued to my head. Horrible stuff. Last week, I slept with my hair in a silk scarf, and in the morning, there was absolutely no frizz whatsoever.
I don't know if this will work for you, but I hope it helps!

I would second this, when I sleep in a silk or satin scarf or cap, in the morning the frizzies tend to lie flat...worth a try!

SurprisingWoman
March 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have something similar to this the first day I wash my hair. It's better the second day so I always consider that when I am scheduling my washes with my social schedule. ;)

chopandchange
March 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Probably not the answer you want, so I'd go with the other posters instead, but the way I deal with my frizz is by just reluctantly accepting it as a reality! :(

krissykins
March 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Have you tried smoothing it down with aloe vera gel or possibly Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277)?

Debra83
March 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM
A small amount of coconut oil spread over my canopy, or OJON, works wonders for me. Even better is if I french braid it for awhile after having done the oil. It makes it SOOO soft and frizzless. And, believe me, my hair can go frizzy!

jojo
March 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Pre oil shampoos (i use EVOO) have been the only thing (apart from serum) which have tamed my frizzies!