PDA

View Full Version : what else provides slip?

proo
March 6th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Does anything provide slip like cones? How about silica?

Hala
March 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Camellia oil is pretty awesome for slip and getting rid of frizz and static.

Dizzy_zzz
March 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Head and Shoulders did it for me

Lianna
March 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I use cones, and I still prefer olive oil for slip.

haibane
March 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Quats. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_ammonium_cation )
They're usually found in conditioners, but there can be more of less of them. Look for Quaternium, Polyquaternium, or "-onium chloride" in the ingredients, especially early in the list of ingredients.

I use two quat-heavy conditioners as a leave-in, and my hair is ridiculously slippy even when I use no cones at all.

pepperminttea
March 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I like a light oiling for a little bit of slip (I use 'cones on the length too). It does attract lint though.

Madame J
March 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Grapeseed oil does it for me.

Anje
March 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Cationic surfactants. Like behentrimonium methosulfate/chloride.

jojo
March 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Rose water sprayed on damp hair works very well, as do serums if you dont mind cones!

proo
March 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Thank you o knowledgable ones. This is all quite fascinating to me - in my perfect world I'd get moisture and protection as well as slip . . .

K_Angel
March 8th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Quats. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_ammonium_cation )
They're usually found in conditioners, but there can be more of less of them. Look for Quaternium, Polyquaternium, or "-onium chloride" in the ingredients, especially early in the list of ingredients.

I use two quat-heavy conditioners as a leave-in, and my hair is ridiculously slippy even when I use no cones at all.

Are the two quat-heavy conditioners Sweden only brands? Or something we can get easily here in the states?

TIA! :flower:

sunshine80
March 8th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I love jojoba I put it on right after the shower...

x0h_bother
March 8th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Head and Shoulders did it for me

Cationic surfactants. Like behentrimonium methosulfate/chloride.

Please explain!! :confused: :) Surfactants and H&S??

haibane
March 8th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Are the two quat-heavy conditioners Sweden only brands? Or something we can get easily here in the states?

TIA! :flower:
The first one I use is the common Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner, which seems to be readily available most anywhere.

The second conditioner is a bit trickier though, and I'm not sure it's easy to find outside of Europe. But this one provides more slip than anything else I've used, including cones. I get it here in Sweden as "Garner Respons Argan Oil and Cranberry" but googling around, it seems it's sold elsewhere as "Garner Ultra Naturals", "Garner Natural Care" and "Garner Ultra Doux" but always with the argan and cranberry, and always in a red bottle.
I found a good review on here that has a picture of the bottle too: http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php?product=585

K_Angel
March 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM
The first one I use is the common Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner, which seems to be readily available most anywhere.

The second conditioner is a bit trickier though, and I'm not sure it's easy to find outside of Europe. But this one provides more slip than anything else I've used, including cones. I get it here in Sweden as "Garner Respons Argan Oil and Cranberry" but googling around, it seems it's sold elsewhere as "Garner Ultra Naturals", "Garner Natural Care" and "Garner Ultra Doux" but always with the argan and cranberry, and always in a red bottle.
I found a good review on here that has a picture of the bottle too: http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php?product=585
Thank you very much! I will look that up to see where it is available locally! :cheese:

Anje
March 8th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Please explain!! :confused: :) Surfactants and H&S??
Behentrimonium and stearalkonium are a few of the gentle cationic surfactants. They're found in many conditioners where they help mix the oil and water phases together. They also stick to hair and make it slippery. They generally aren't drying.

monsterna
March 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
To be honest, ACV rinses give me slip. I still use conditioner after, with cones, but ACV does give me slip.

hybrise
March 9th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I have a bottle of Giovanni no-frizz serum that looks like it's mostly silicones and rosemary, nettle and thyme oils. It makes my hair super slippery, I have trouble keeping my hands out of it because I love feeling how it runs through my fingers.

GeoJ
March 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I'd love to try the second one, but it doesn't seem to be available in the US. I did find it on one on-line company, but their shipping info is in a language I don't know. I guess I'll be hunting for it on my next trip to Europe.

I got slip from a hotel conditioner in Japan, but I don't know what the ingredients were (the ingredients list had a sticker with Japanese translation covering them). I think the brand was Sothys? It probably had cones, and the water was soft in that hotel (soft water always improves my hair texture).

x0h_bother
March 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Behentrimonium and stearalkonium are a few of the gentle cationic surfactants. They're found in many conditioners where they help mix the oil and water phases together. They also stick to hair and make it slippery. They generally aren't drying.
You are SO right. I am getting a big science book out of the library about it. Want to know more! :cheese:

Firefox7275
March 17th, 2011, 07:59 AM

I *think* I read that behetrimonium is used as an anti-static agent (not contradicting, adding to your knowledge). :)

Quaternium-87 is the second ingredient in Gliss Oil Nutritive Conditioner, which gets 9/10 in the LHC Reviews. I haven't used mine yet but it sinks right into my hand, read of people on another hair forum using it as a leave-in instead of wash out. It does have cones tho.
http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/592/cat/all

Also the Schwarzkopf Live XXL conditioner - which is awesome and coneless - has Quaternium-87 as the second ingredient. The same size/ shape (20ml) single use intensives can be found on eBay branded Gliss but not for cheap. It would make sense that it's part of their standard range in Germany rather than a special product developed for hair dye. I think the US has a greater range of Gliss than the UK so this might be worth researching?

In2wishin
March 17th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I didn't pay much attention to it until someone else started a thread but guar gives slip. It is a common ingredient in shampoos and conditioners to thicken, emulsify, and stabilize. It also moisturizes hair and adds slip.

proo
March 17th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks everyone - I'm quite intrigued by guar.

In2wishin
March 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone - I'm quite intrigued by guar.

The good thing about it is that it is cheap and easily found. It is often used in gluten-free baking so any natural foods store (and some mainstream food stores) will have it.

x0h_bother
March 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I didn't pay much attention to it until someone else started a thread but guar gives slip. It is a common ingredient in shampoos and conditioners to thicken, emulsify, and stabilize. It also moisturizes hair and adds slip.
Yes Guar! It is in my 2 in 1 shampoo :)

K_Angel
March 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Yes Guar! It is in my 2 in 1 shampoo :)

How are you preparing the Guar? Do you just add it to the existing conditioner? Or do you mix it up separately?

jasper
July 3rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
I am thinking I must be wanting some slip. I can't practice/learn French braiding because I am pulling through tangles the whole time, no matter how combed, tangle free my hair is before I start.

So, I read this thread about slip and went looking for the Garnier product in the red bottle.

I didn't find it, because the red bottle was something for protecting color, but I did find something labeled "new" Garnier Pure Clean smoothing cream 24 hour frizz control. So I remembered reading about the no-frizz product above and turned this over to see what was in it. A bunch of stuff including guar, which has been mentioned here. It also has in big letters "zero silicones-zero paragons -zero dyes" which caught my attention because it is usually a bit of a mystery whether a product has cones or not. It also claims to be 98% naturally derived, which is just funny. What about the other 2%, eh?

Well, I will give it a try.

BlazingHeart
July 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
I find coconut oil makes my hair a bit more slippy than it usually is, but I'm very slippy to begin with.

torrilin
July 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM

Yep, this is my favoritest stuff. They won't lather well with hard water, but the conditioning effects are still good.

Madora
July 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
EVOO! ! ! Provides fantastic slip for would be braiders!

I use Bertolli's Extra Virgin Olive Oil and apply it on freshly washed and fully dried hair.

I learned today (my 2nd EVOO treatment) that I used too much EVOO yesterday (my hair was too damp with the oil) so I used Tresemme Naturals Conditioner (no sillicones) with Aloe and Avocado and was able to get rid of the excess EVOO.

Anyway, EVOO is the last word for your hair when you're braiding! I adore it! Your hair feels wonderful and there is no olive oil after scent. The slip EVOO provides is fabulous..there's no other word for it! Thanks again, JOJO, for the EVOO recommendation!

Zesty
July 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
For me, oil provides as much slip as cones when applied to moisturized hair (e.g. after an SMT). I use jojoba oil and will soon see about following Madora's advice on the EVOO. :)

battles
July 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I just tried olive oil earlier. I freaked out a little because I read that it took some people days to wash it out.. while it was already on my head. Luckily, it washed out alright and my hair feels amazing now! I prefer this to coconut oil. :D

haibane
July 7th, 2011, 06:28 AM
So, I read this thread about slip and went looking for the Garnier product in the red bottle.

I didn't find it, because the red bottle was something for protecting color
That's exactly what my red garnier conditioner says, "for colored/highligthed hair". Just check if it has argan oil/cranberry, that's the stuff. :)

jasper
July 7th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Well, I can say that the Pure Clean Frizz Control stuff doesn't feel pure or clean on my hair. It feels sticky and that is close to the opposite of slip, eh?

I think there was a berry involved in the red labeled stuff, but I forget which.

littlenvy
July 7th, 2011, 06:52 AM
:) OK. I haven't said anything yet because I'm still beta testing .. but...

I've decided to do my own henna conditioner that would give me the benefits of henna without the colour. And after few errors it looks like I've got it. Instant detangler!! And I MEAN IT! Its like my hair untangles itself and stays that way. Slip, sleek and shin!!
What I do is make a senna/henna tea. I only put a spoon full of each in a cup, cover and let it sit for 24 hours. Then I take a empty bottle of conditioner, add maybe 3 tablespoons of conditioner of choice and the rest with the tea. I try not to put in the sediment in, just leave it in the cup, but you don't have to worry if some gets in, it will all wash away. The result is quite a water down conditioner. Heck, its very water down :p
NOW, the major key factor. You have to let the thing sit for a minimum of 72 hours, the longer the better. The Henna tea has to have time to combine with the conditioner fully. You may shake it up every 12 to 20 hours, but you don't have to.

Once its ready, you use it like any conditioner. The only slight difference is that its very liquidy so I just pour it right over my head. Usually about 1/3 of the whole mixture.
The results are just amazinig.

I wouldn't mind if anyone else would like to try this, just to see how it works on other types of hair.

If anyone is interested, please let me know. :)

x0h_bother
July 9th, 2011, 11:45 AM
How are you preparing the Guar? Do you just add it to the existing conditioner? Or do you mix it up separately?
Oopsies I meant that is is ALREADY an ingredient in that conditioner. My grammar mistake :o

K_Angel
July 13th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Oopsies I meant that is is ALREADY an ingredient in that conditioner. My grammar mistake :o
Oh ok, thank you for letting me know. :)

dawnss
July 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM
When I get single strand knots and when my hair gets matted, I use coconut oil, but I have to use a lot. When I use coconut oil to detangle my hair, it does the job like cones do without the really annoying film that they leave on my hair and as another added bonus I have already pre pooed my hair.

free_hug
July 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Off-topicing: Gosh, greatest hair geek ever!!! :thud:

This should be quoted in the "Only and LHCer" thread :D

Anje
July 13th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Off-topicing: Gosh, greatest hair geek ever!!! :thud:

This should be quoted in the "Only and LHCer" thread :D
Thanks, I think. :o

That's what happens when you get a scientist interested in hair stuff... We get all caught up in the geeky aspects of it. Or when you get a scientist interested in anything, for that matter....

x0h_bother
July 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks, I think. :o

That's what happens when you get a scientist interested in hair stuff... We get all caught up in the geeky aspects of it. Or when you get a scientist interested in anything, for that matter....

Well you really helped me. I'm no scientist but this thread has made me investigate more :p

Idjit
July 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I like to use Tresemme Naturals conditioner when I need slip. I don't know what is in it that does it but it's very slippy for me.

There are three different ones and non of them contain cones as long as it says naturals on it. They all seem to work the same for me.