PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction to Argan oil. :(

vanity_acefake
March 6th, 2011, 04:19 AM
As some of you may know I have been using Argan oil on my face with amazing results. My skin has honestly never looked better.
However I have been plagued by what I thought was tonsillitis including a sore throat and a swollen tongue. I am prone to tonsillitis and am anaemic so I never thought much about it but my swollen tongue was unusual and it did seem to be lasting an awful long time so I looked it up on google. To my dismay I have realised that it is an allergic reaction to the Argan oil. I am not allergic to nuts or anything but it must be this as I stopped using the oil and my sore throat and swollen tongue have gone.
I'm really upset as it was doing wonders for my skin.
I am anaemic just now and am on 600mg iron from the dr so I will try the oil again after I have the all clear on the anaemia.
Just thought you guys might want to know in case any of you have been experiencing the same reaction and like me have not put 2+2 together on the cause.

ktani
March 6th, 2011, 06:32 AM
As some of you may know I have been using Argan oil on my face with amazing results. My skin has honestly never looked better.
However I have been plagued by what I thought was tonsillitis including a sore throat and a swollen tongue. I am prone to tonsillitis and am anaemic so I never thought much about it but my swollen tongue was unusual and it did seem to be lasting an awful long time so I looked it up on google. To my dismay I have realised that it is an allergic reaction to the Argan oil. I am not allergic to nuts or anything but it must be this as I stopped using the oil and my sore throat and swollen tongue have gone.
I'm really upset as it was doing wonders for my skin.
I am anaemic just now and am on 600mg iron from the dr so I will try the oil again after I have the all clear on the anaemia.
Just thought you guys might want to know in case any of you have been experiencing the same reaction and like me have not put 2+2 together on the cause.

I am sorry to hear about your reaction to argan oil. It can make the skin sun sensitive used during the day and is recommended to be used on skin at night and washed off in the morning.

What happened to you though sounds like a serious enough allergic reaction that I strongly suggest that you clear it with your doctor first before trying to use the oil again. Nothing is worth the risk of a serious reaction like the one you describe happening again or becoming worse.

jaine
March 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I wonder if a different oil would be better - MountainRoseHerbs.com has lots of choices with many organic oils and they're all very high quality. That's where I get my oils. One of my favorite skin oils is macadamia nut oil - it absorbs very quickly and doesn't look shiny. I've also read very good things about rosehip seed oil to reduce scars and even out skin tone so I'm trying that one next since I have a scar that I would like to get rid of.

spidermom
March 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM
It happens. My daughter is violently allergic to all things coconut, so while we were on vacation together and sharing a bed, I switched from my beloved coconut oil to sweet almond oil. It did a good job of protecting my hair from the drying effects of sun and sea.