PDA

View Full Version : My buns always "poke" out

Nymph
March 6th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Basically, when I do a standard bun (twist the hair and coil it around itself) they look like a stack of three hoops of hair and give me this weird mini piggy-tail of two-three inches sticking out at the back of my head. I'd like to make it lie flat and just have the hair spiral around itself without it creeping under the previous spiral. Up to some point I guess it's normal to have this effect, since my hair is thicker at the start than at the end of the length, but a less poke-y and more flat effect would be nice.

Anyone knows of this problem? And what did you do to remedy it?

enfys
March 6th, 2011, 04:29 AM
It is turning into a beebutt bun. There are two solutions; one is to coil more loosely and holding it all in place flat to your head before securing with a fork or whatever. The other is to pin as you go so the coils can't slip under.

pepperminttea
March 6th, 2011, 05:42 AM
What enfys said. I hold one hand over the bun when I'm forming it so it stays flat, rather than 'popping' up.

halo_tightens
March 6th, 2011, 08:36 AM
What enfys said. I hold one hand over the bun when I'm forming it so it stays flat, rather than 'popping' up.

Yes, that's what I do too. If I don't keep it pressed flat during the coiling process, my cinnabun will turn into a bee-butt bun too. It's not too hard to alternate hands to press it flat, once you get used to it.

Phexlyn
March 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I have come used to pinning it down while making the coils, it's far more secure that way for me and it stays perfectly flat. However, the other suggestion of just pressing down on the bun does also work, it just needs a bit of practice :)

spidermom
March 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I stretch the innermost coils over the outermost coils, then fork it down. (the Gibralter bun) It's much flatter and holds better that way.

rags
March 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM
(Before I chopped) I always pinned each coil at a time. I never could get the hang of just holding it down - I'm uncoordinated! :p

camara
March 6th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I pin as I go, otherwise I get the bee butt effect, too.