PDA

View Full Version : Packing Hair Stuff

doodlesmart
June 12th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I have a bunch of travel coming up and I will need to be taking most of my hair care stuff. My main concern is over the liquid vs solid stuff since I won't have enough other stuff to warrant checking a bag, I'd rather not.

I use poo bars, so that's easy. I also use ACV, not so easy. I went out today and got some citric acid to try instead, since I can transport that in solid form. My concern here is that if I take it, I will be carrying around a moderate sized quantity of mysterious white powder. I could see this causing problems. Does anyone have any experience in transporting such things (internationally) without being stopped for drug trafficking? Or am I just paranoid?

My other question is coconut oil...does it count as a solid?

Also, if anyone has any brilliant suggestions on how to safely transport hairtoys I would greatly appreciated them. Right now I just shove them all into a hairtoy sized box with a buff for padding.

Nevermore
June 12th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Can you buy ACV where you're going? That's what I'd do, as it's fairly cheap. I also wouldn't bring citric acid, that's just asking for trouble. I've never flown, but mysterious white powder is just a bad thing to bring with you.

Riot Crrl
June 12th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Can you buy ACV where you're going? That's what I'd do, as it's fairly cheap. I also wouldn't bring citric acid, that's just asking for trouble. I've never flown, but mysterious white powder is just a bad thing to bring with you.

Ditto. Also, it may not necessarily have to be ACV. If you can get by with citric acid, you can probably get by with any kind of cheapo vinegar that is there.

morgwn
June 12th, 2008, 01:26 AM
If you're travelling internationally, I would *strongly* suggest that you check your bag, no matter what the size is. From both personal experience as well as others', I know that passengers with unchecked bags ring huge alarm bells, not just with customs but with security. They are more than twice as likely to pull you aside and severely question you and/or search your bags if they feel that you are in any way, shape or form suspicious, particularly now that the paranoia from 9-11 has taken over airports much more. And getting searched is NOT fun and takes much longer than just picking up a bag. Even my dad who absolutely hates checking baggage now does on all of his business trips. Just my :twocents:.

With regard to packing, my suggestion is to invest in a few travel bottles. They're smaller and more likely to stay closed than the full-sized ones. And a shampoo and soap-bar holder is a good investment, too, to keep them from getting damp at all. For hair toys, the ones that are breakable I suggest wrapping in your clothes and/or underwear. This saves space for not having to put in anything additional and also protects the hair toys.

Hope that helps a bit and that you have fun travelling! :)

k_hepburn
June 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I don't know where you are going, but I too would suggest that vinegar is such a basic kitchen ingredient, you should easily be able to track it down in a local supermarket. At about 1 $ a bottle, I certaily wouldn't risk getting questioned by customs over mysterious white powders :D. If, upon arriving, for some reason at all you can't find apple cider vinegar, just go with (depending on your hair colour) red or white wine vinegar - for my first ever vinegar rinse I just used some red wine vinegar from the kitchen cupboard, and really, if I hadn't adopted ACV for culinary purposes by now I'd probably have switched back to red wine vinegar, since the effect was every bit as good, if not better.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

katharine

Mely
June 12th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow (by car), and I just packed a lot of hair toys in a roll that I sewed. I posted pics on thread about hair toy storage:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=146434&postcount=26

susiemw
June 12th, 2008, 05:01 AM
since I won't have enough other stuff to warrant checking a bag, I'd rather not.

(edited for brevity)
citric acid to try instead, since I can transport that in solid form. My concern here is that if I take it, I will be carrying around a moderate sized quantity of mysterious white powder.

I'm with you... I never check bags unless I absolutely having to ( like on the way home from a trip and I've bought too much!). Even flying internationally that hasn't ever been a problem for me. Lost luggage has been a problem for me on more than one occassion, so I'd rather have the TSA ask me a few extra questions than have the airline lose my luggage.

For the white powder... take the label that is on the original packaging. Preferably take the original packaging but if it's in too large a container take the label off and take it with you or
if you will be able to get to a store easily at your destination
just buy vinegar there. You are going to want to scope out the hair toys where you're going anyway so just do that on the first day and pick up some acv at the same time!

Have a great trip.

Where are you going?

Susan

Magdalene
June 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I would also recommend taking wooden, rather than metal hairtoys if possible, to avoid having them confiscated. I also wouldn't take your absolute favorites with you.

Last time I flew I sent a few things ahead by FedEx- that might be an option depending on where you are travelling to. With the 3-1-1 rule it was easier for me to send ahead sunscreen and stuff, but in retrospect I would probably just buy it locally next time. (I'm just really picky about my lotions)

I try never to check my bags, either. The only time I've ever gotten special attention was shortly after I had foot surgery and was wearing a big walking cast. Even then, they just wanded me, they didn't bother with my bags.

physicschick
June 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Coconut oil might melt if it's hot, so it definitely has the risk of being counted a liquid. I transport solid-ish oils in a screw cap pot that's intended for lip balm.

Carrying your hairtoys in a box is safer than anything I've done with mine. Sounds like a good method to continue.

For ACV, why not get a very small (1 oz) container and transport it in that?

jojo
June 12th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Ive been thinking about this too, Im going to Thailand next February and want to continue with my herbal rinses, Im worried they will either think im a weirdo with my herbs, sieve and bowl as well as the herbs, especially with it being Thailand too.

I should be OK if there in my suitcase yes?