PDA

View Full Version : I broke another pony tail holder today... (type iii hair)

carojane
March 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Maybe I'm too much of a newbie to be posting a new thread, but I couldn't find the Type iii hair support group! :D My ponytail measures at 5" in circumference, with at least another inch in layers and bangs that don't fit into it right now.

I've never not had the hair dresser comment: "wow, you have a lot of hair."
I could never wear clips in my hair because they wouldn't even fit around half pony tails.
So many hair toys, clips and elastic bands have broken in my hair. :mad:
My hair would never hold a curl or updo well because it was so heavy.
My head sometimes hurts just from having long hair - meaning past chin length!
Instead of growing longer, my hair grows wider.
Sometimes my hair is still damp when I go to bed from the shower I had that morning.

Does that sound familiar? Vent your frustrations about Type iii

I know many out there covet the rope thick braid sported by lucky Type iii-ers, but many of us chop our locks long before we can ever reach that stage. I'm not going to lie - I love having thick hair :cool:, but if one more elastic band breaks in my hands... :steam

UltraBella
March 6th, 2011, 12:08 AM
My hair is currently 5.9" in circumference and that is without my bangs. My hair is hip length and I have never had a headache or neck ache because of my hair. My hair holds curl very well.
I guess you and I don't have much in common hair wise even though we both have thick hair ! I have always viewed my thickness as a blessing and I don't mind a broken hair toy now and then. It happens. You will find that there are MANY here with hair as thick as yours, or thicker, who have grown it very long. They might chime in with some suggestions for you !

Bonny
March 6th, 2011, 12:09 AM
My hair isn't as thick as yours, but I can sympathize... when I was younger and my hair was thicker, I had similar problems.

There's a thread called "Thick haired folk, unite!" here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020). :flower:

orangeskye
March 6th, 2011, 12:43 AM
use scrunchies instead! <3 they never break :D

lunache
March 6th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I can totally sympathize since I spent most of my life frustrated at my hair thickness.

Now, though (thanks to the LHC!) I've learned to manage it, found a great stylist and can honestly say I've totally loving thick hair and curls!

BTW - check out the Flexi-8's in large and mega. I've never found clips that work but these two are superb - painless and hold all day!

BranwenWolf
March 6th, 2011, 02:02 AM
My hair has thinned significantly but I have all the problems the OP has. I've learned to embrace them as quirks of my hair.
I use scrunchies almost exclusively for ponytails and such. I only use the regular elastics for the end of a braid where my hair is thinned out.
If I don't have at least 6 hours of drying time (usually when I'm sleeping) my hair is still wet.

ETA: interesting trick for the cute barettes and such that won't hold your hair... if you can find an elastic that works, use that on your ponytail and put the clip for the barette through only half the mass of your hair, and buckle it.

julliams
March 6th, 2011, 03:28 AM
May I suggest Flexi-8? You should check them out.

Nera
March 6th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I have the same problem. Braids are nice to wear, but they are difficult to make in my hair (my hair tangles so badly that you can't even separate it into sections properly).
Also, long and solid hairforks are nice, but buns do get heavy after a while, so often I redo them in one day.

I found that instead of elastics, those elestic headbands are really nice to use for a ponytail.
Goodluck with this!

chopandchange
March 6th, 2011, 05:37 AM
If you are having headaches and your hair is only chin length, I VERY much doubt they are caused by your hair. Hair does not weigh enough at that length to give you a headache so there might be a medical reason for your headaches and maybe you should go to a doctor.

Unless perhaps you're referring to wearing your hair up. Wearing thick hair up can cause headaches unless you hit on a style that distributes the weight and doesn't pull.

GRU
March 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Ah yes, the "retention system failure" is something that has been joked about in my house for years.

Back when I used to wear "banana clips" the big joke among friends was to not stand/sit too close on either side. Once I was riding in a pickup truck with two male friends. Being typical American males (:rolleyes:) they couldn't sit next to each other on the bench seat -- I had to sit between them. They were concerned that if my retention system failed, I'd take both of them out in a single blow. :lol:

jil
March 6th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I agree with posters re: headaches. I only get headaches when my bun is too high on my head. I have also had good experiences with flexi-8s.

jaine
March 6th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I agree that the headaches are probably not from your hair at chin length. Maybe a doctor can help you figure out what it is. Keep a food log to see if there are any patterns. I am also suffering from frequent headaches and my food log made me realize that the headaches happen immediately after eating out at certain restaurants.

selderon
March 6th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I get headaches fairly often and had assumed they came from my hair because my head hurt near where the ponytail or bun was secured. I've since concluded that they're actually tension headaches, caused by poor posture and/or spinal alignment and aggravated by failure to invest time in proper stretching. Yoga, massage and core exercises seem to help prevent or relieve these headaches.