PDA

View Full Version : Ever tried using Zero products/oil ?

Luna12345
March 5th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has tried not using any leave in products on hair at all, no leave in conditioner, no serum, no gel, no oil.

I am thinking of trying this out.
I mean i will shampoo and use conditioner and probably try deep moisture treatments....once in a while but not use any leave in products or oils at all.

Is this ok to do or do you thin k it will be bad for my hair?

DTsgirl
March 5th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I occasionally do this. It does not affect my hair's health, but the leave ins do make it easier to detangle. If you have very straight, sleek hair, like Luxepiggy, you can probably do it, but my hair has just enough wave to make it frizzy and tangly without a bit of slip - imparting product. So, I suppose you'll just have to try it and see!

Jeno86
March 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I've never used any of these and my hair seems to be healthy, granted my hair has some static but I can deal with that :P

GrowingGlory
March 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
That is what I usually do. This Winter I used Night Blooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil and Panacea Winter Blend hair salve. They helped to keep my ends from drying out, but I am of the opinion that for my hair, nothing beats a good conditioning brushing with my BBB. HTH.

spidermom
March 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I did that just yesterday - washed and conditioned, nothing else. I've been using lots of oil and a coney serum while in the Caribbean and wanted a break from "stuff" in my hair.

Lianna
March 5th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I've done this most my life, just shampoo and condition. Now I added oil, but I don't walk around with (lightly) oiled hair everyday, while I do oil it everyday/every other day as pre-poo. My hair doesn't like creamy leave-ins, it just gets stuck. I do try some new ones sometimes, specially if given to me (which just happened two days ago). I'd say try it! :flower:

PrincessTieflin
March 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I have tried, but I get fuzzy LOL.... good luck with your experiment :)

EbonyCurls
March 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, and my curls thanked me by being extra static-y and knotting itself up into tiny, undetangleable (I don't care if that's not a word :D) knots.

tinywife
March 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Ever since hennaing I haven't used a leave-in. I tried my normal honey-and-shea mix, but it left it so greasy. Oddly, my hair seems just fine. Guess it's the henna?

Luna12345
March 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM
WEll....I think I'm going to try it out tomorrow and see how my hair turns out. =) I might post a picture just for fun.
My hair is very curly so this should be interesting.:)

Islandgrrl
March 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I don't usually use a leave-in product. I oil sometimes, but not with any regularity.

sugarpixie10988
March 5th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I do this most of the time. The only thing I put in my hair is oil, and I often forget to do so, or just don't feel like it. My hair seems fine with this.

teela1978
March 5th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Um... I do pre-wash oilings once in a while... and I like to use a little coney serum on occasion...

But I easily go months only shampooing and conditioning when I'm preoccupied with other stuff. Most days I'd say I go with zero products/oil. Is that uncommon?!?!

orangeskye
March 6th, 2011, 01:19 AM
i was wondering the same thing Teela! I ususally just wash/condition and let air dry, no leave in's or oils for me.. especially if it's just going up in a do-up anyway..

HintOfMint
March 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I use such little oil as a leave-in I often wonder if it does any good at all, so every once in a while I stop and just damp bun. It turns out that the tiny amount actually does make a difference for me. Go figure.

Gilly
March 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has tried not using any leave in products on hair at all, no leave in conditioner, no serum, no gel, no oil.

I am thinking of trying this out.
I mean i will shampoo and use conditioner and probably try deep moisture treatments....once in a while but not use any leave in products or oils at all.

Is this ok to do or do you thin k it will be bad for my hair?

Its pretty much all I ever do! I have brief goes at trying other things but basically my hair hates having stuff in it!

Chamy
March 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I have tried it. But dont like it. It really feels dry, i alway use oils to tame my hair since its kind of dry all by itself.

Anje
March 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
That's basically what I did my entire life pre-LHC. I often, but not always leave oil in now post-wash, but that's about it. Putting much in between washes just leaves my hair feeling coated and weird.

Mountaingrrl
March 7th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I wouldn't try this in the winter, but maybe in the springtime.

miss_purple
March 7th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I'm not using any leave in products on hair at all, no leave in conditioner, no serum, no gel, no oil. My hair seems to be pretty happy without them. :)

brickworld13
March 7th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I'm trying that now, and everything is going well. My hair is just about as straight as possible. I usually end up with a giant ball of frizzy fluff when I use shampoo, conditioner and lot of leave ins. Conditioner only when its feeling dry, a bit of oil for the dry ends until I can get them cut off, and lots of water. My hair likes it own oils, so I'm going to let them have free reign. Seems to be working for me. I've only been doing this for about 10 days though.

jasper
March 7th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I normally use no leave-ins.

Isilme
March 7th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Most of the time I don't use any leave ins at all, or oils. I might use some conditioner mixed with water in a spray bottle if my hair feels dry, or use some Ultra Bland (Lush) on my ends or nape.

enfys
March 7th, 2011, 06:39 AM
The only leave in I usually use is oil, because my hair is very floaty and that leads to nasty tangles.

I use coney serums as a last resort if oil didn't do it for me, and gel is only if I am trying to trick my hair into pincurls.

If my hair is feeling a bit weighted from the conditioner I used, I will leave it as is, but that's a rare thing.

SurprisingWoman
March 7th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I have purchased several leave ins but my hair doesn't care for them. The latest I purchased was some Aussie Mega stuff and it's not terrible but it doesn't make it better.

If something doesn't impact my hair really nicely I can't see the point of spending the money.

One thing my hair does LOVE is called Biosilk Silk Therapy but it's so expensive and not really necessary so I don't bother.

Intransigentia
March 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I don't leave anything in my hair either. Actually I don't even use conditioner. Just oil shampoo and a lemon rinse. But I'm another straight-hair type.

ooo
March 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Maybe not on the board, but in general I guess that only the minority of beauty concious people use leave in.

BrightEyes7
March 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I always use some leave-in, either a bit of oil or a serum.

I've tried using nothing a few times, I don't notice much of a difference. I have less frizz with leave-ins so I use them.

HeatherG
March 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I used to do this all the time, before I decided to bleach my hair and have been nursing it back to health, but pre bleach job I never used anything in my hair, but shampoo and conditioner.

Messyhair
March 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Personally, I don't like using any kind of leave-in or even deep-conditioning treatments and I'm lazy, so I don't bother. Hee hee! My hair doesn't seem to suffer for it. It made it to hip no problem with that hair care routine. I do use some Shea Butter Super Grow balm now and then on it but only if I'm going to bed right away and washing the next morning because I really don't like anything being in my hair. :o

JellyBene
March 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Yes, this was me for years! i used to use tons of product and oils and stuff until one day my family and I were looking at some old photos of me as a small child with my long flowing beautiful heair and it occured to me I used NOTHING on it. Think about it have you ever seen a little girl with bad hair? I went product free for a loooong time and the results were amazing but I missed pampering my hair. I think it's best to find a happy mdium.

Lianna
March 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Is it just me or all children's hair look nicer? Does anyone know actual differences between children and adult's hair? I've just heard it's finer.

Fufu
March 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I do this too to my hair at times, no serum no oil, I figure that my hair needs some rest at times.

Monkie
March 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I don't like to use a lot of leave-ins on my hair, because then I figure I would never know what kind of condition it's in.

Luna12345
March 7th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Ok so i tried this. I took a shower yesterday and put nothing in....OH God! My hair was too frizzy and dry. I guess with my curls it isn't good idea. This cold winter weather doen't help either, I might try when the weather is warmer.

irisheyes
March 8th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I don't use any styling products at all. No leave in, no gel, no sprays, etc. And I used to think I couldn't live without them! They make my hair dirty and cause massive build up. Now I use bobby pins, hair nets, and side combs to smooth my hair. My Caruso hair setter takes care of the frizzies. I think if I had a special occasion, I would certainly use hairspray for a polished look, but otherwise I have just gotten used to dealing with my natural hair.

FluffSpider
March 8th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Kids have better hair because they don't heat style, chemically treat hair, brush it all day long, tease it, fluff it, spray it, don't wash as often ( I used to wash my hair once every 2 weeks as a kid, and had comercial-worthy hair... never really remember having a bad hair day.) AND they aren't stressed by their life. Enough reasons?
I have tried using nothing other than shampoo and conditioner. Now, it leaves my hair slightly frizzy and dry. The big difference in my haircare regime during the years was discovering conditioner( thought I couldnt use it due to my oily scalp) . Now THAT made a difference...

Lianna
March 8th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Kids have better hair because they don't heat style, chemically treat hair, brush it all day long, tease it, fluff it, spray it, don't wash as often ( I used to wash my hair once every 2 weeks as a kid, and had comercial-worthy hair... never really remember having a bad hair day.) AND they aren't stressed by their life. Enough reasons?

I'm sorry to disagree. A lot of people don't do all that, and their childhood hair was still different. I would agree adults have more stress (generally), but everyday stress alone wouldn't change that much.

The fact that someone won't "heat style, chemically treat hair, brush it all day long, tease it, fluff it, spray it...." whatever have you, does not mean they will have perfect "every strand in place, frizzless" shiny, soft, uniform hair. That's mainly a hair texture thing.

smileycat
March 8th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Late last spring/early summer I went through a phase of shampoo only (no conditioner, leave in, any other product). This phase lasted a few weeks because MY HAIR WAS FANTASTIC! I fully intend to try this again once the weather warms up and becomes more humid again, however I am skeptical that my ends will take it now that my hair is longer. Still, that was the best my hair looked and felt in years.

My hair was barely shoulder length at the time, and also keep in mind I have fine, super slippery hair that is weighed down easily. I could never do it during the winter. Too much static. I live in an area with extreme weather conditions between winter and summer. I CWC most often now, but I have to clarify pretty regularly.

anilov
March 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I used to only schampoo my hair, no conditioning, no products, for years and my hair looked and felt really good. But then I never used a hairdryer, and I went to have my hair kept at APL all the time. Now, when I'm close to waist I need more maintenance especially in the wintertime. So I've switched to CO and deep treatments, but still don't use leave-ins. It works, as long as I don't braid my hair, since using hairties (even scrunchies) makes my ends tangle and break like crazy. I never leave my hair down either, if I did I would need some leave-ins.

Copasetic
March 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I tried not using leave ins once to see what my hair would look like, and I didn't like the results at all. My hair was a frizzy mess. I need leave ins for curly clumping and definition.