PDA

View Full Version : Can you take too many hair vitamins?

Kat Girl
March 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I currently take a pretty good women's multi-vitamin and it includes a "hair, skin and nail complex." Since I have started taking it I think it has made a difference. But I want to grow out healthy hair faster, and I'm wondering if it would help me to take another hair or hair/skin/nail vitamin, or would it make no difference as I'm already getting the vitamins?

Panth
March 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
If you can, check out Igor's blog post on the dangers of overdosing on supplements.

tl;dr : yes, be careful *hugs*

RancheroTheBee
March 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I would advise against doubling recommended doses. It's very possible to overdose on certain vitamins (biotin, for instance; Igor wrote a blog post about it, but I can't remember where it is) and taking too much of certain vitamins and minerals can cause health issues. Even if something is considered water-soluble should be consumed with some caution. I would refer to your doctor to find out safe levels of vitamins.

Also, bear in mind that taking more than the maximum of vitamins may not make you grow hair faster; you have a genetically predetermined monthly limit that is difficult to change.

ETA: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74

There's Igor's article about supplements.

dreamerx6
March 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Definitely check out the recommended dosages for the supplements you're taking and side effects. I thought that taking 10,000mcg of Biotin, like some people are doing, would be okay for me.. Unfortunately it made me break out ALL over (face, back, chest)... it was NOT pretty.

CaityBear
March 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Taking a whole pile of vitamins will not help your hair grow faster. PATIENCE. You will get there. Just keep taking the multi and treating your hair like lace and you'll get there soon enough.

leandrahime
March 5th, 2011, 03:19 PM
ALL vitamins and minerals are toxic at a certain dose, some far lower than others. Did you know you body NEEDS a certain amount of arsenic? In any case, Caitybear is right: take the recommended dose only, treat it like antique lace, and PATIENCE!!!!!

deepsuperficial
April 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't recommend it - not only can it be unsafe but your liver and kidneys have to process it all which puts a strain on them. Not worth it IMO.

xxaimsxx
April 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I think so. Too much isnt supposed to be good.
I just take a multivitamin now. I feel much better too for taking them. Not just my hair but i feel much more energetic and healthy :)
They are the bassetts vitamins ones.