PDA

View Full Version : Important things for newbies to know?

krissykins
March 4th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Hey ladies and gents ;) I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me.

See, when we talk to newbies, we tell them to peek around and get a feel for the site. You know, research to see what knowledge is lying around. So I wanted to know a couple of things:

1) What do you think are the key hair-related things a newbie should learn about when they first start at LHC? (ie, wash methods, deep treatments, basic hairstyles, etc)
2) What were the most important things you learned about hair from LHC?
3) What helped you the most when you first started at LHC? (this could be anything. Really. I'm open to ideas.)

Thanks so much for your help! I might not check on this thread until tomorrow because I must participate in dangerously chocolate-y activities right now (baking brownies, oh my!), but I wanted to put the idea out there. :D

Lianna
March 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
1) What do you think are the key hair-related things a newbie should learn about when they first start at LHC? (ie, wash methods, deep treatments, basic hairstyles, etc)

First of all, I think the article section should have more advertising. :D I think they should know about CWC/CO, diluting shampoo and water only because these seems to be some things that work for a lot of people. I think they should know about build up, because a lot of hair is chopped when it could be just a build up problem. They should know about the SLS/cones debate, reasons why it could be harmful, and why it won't be harmful such as, cones will probably hurt you if they build up on you (same as other things), cones itself won't hurt. You could have build-up with just 3 applications, for instance, my hair builds up fast, but that doesn't mean I'm calling certain substances "evil". SLS is not bad for everyone's scalp and hair, some do need it and enjoy it. Be careful with protein, your hair could get stiff and brake off (do moisture treatments after protein). Not everyone needs conditioner (yep), not everyone with chemically altered hair has damaged hair, not everyone needs to trim, not everyone trims because of hair condition only, henna is permanent but could fade a little, specially if it's the first application. Cassia is not permanent, you might get green hair if you bleach indigo. If you mix honey with conditioner you will probably lighten your hair overtime. I think they should know what a trim is and what a dust is. I think they should seek hairstyle options for their hair length, no matter what it is, no matter thickness or texture. There are ways to get your hair curly, wavy or straight without heat. Washing frequency is a delicate subject, for some could be 2 weeks, for others 12 hours, let's respect and learn about their reasons. You have the right to love your hair color and texture, or not, you also have the right to change them as you please. Baking soda and vinegar should not be done at the same application, one, then the other, please. Cold water rinses may or may not help increase shine. Coconut oil will help protect your hair if you dare to dye/bleach it. Straight and fine hairs can experiment with oil too, there are lighter oils around, yet, not every oil will work for everyone. Long hair needs care, but it doesn't mean you have to stop doing everything you like to do with it. I'm probably leaving out tons of stuff, though, there's a lot to learn here, so read, read, read! :cheese: Until you find the history of cheese. :D

People's hair is different and we shouldn't judge, thinking there's some universal rules that leads to healthy or damaged hair. Light damp oilings do wonders if done consistently in my hair, I used to do them sporadically before I came here with lesser results. :D

3) What helped you the most when you first started at LHC? (this could be anything. Really. I'm open to ideas.)

It helped to know that there were other "shorties" around, and the lovely super-shortie thread for us. :D LHC actually made me like updos more, and see more beauty in my wavy hair. Since it could be anything, I loved to learn about color analysis (http://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FColor_a nalysis&rct=j&q=color%20analysis&ei=xY9xTcKKJovpgQfd54VG&usg=AFQjCNGGChIyMArfbsUITVLfD-RRmz4K4Q&sig2=LurGF9D2dtQh5uHl04ay5g&cad=rja), lol, I'm a summer! :D

Stub
March 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'm totally a newbie and here's what shocked me: yesterday after reading on the forums for a couple hours and looking at photos, I looked in the mirror and thought my BSL hair was SHORT. Before that I totally thought my hair was finally getting long! Haha. :)

RavennaNight
March 4th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I found the articles section to be extremely helpful when I first started here. I would recommend all newbies visit the articles. Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice also very helpful.

Reading. I did tons of reading on the site before I started posting.

The most important thing I learned about here was to stop heat styling, or at least if one didn't want to stop heat styling to atleast know it can be damaging if done wrong. Oiling and washing methods, also very important.

Anywhere
March 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I find that the VIT(very important thread) list (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7804) stickied in the forum was very helpful for me as a newbie. I tend to try and fit that into posts to newbies.

jil
March 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I am currently a newbie! :) I have found the most helpful reading I've done here so far has been in the threads that are specific to my hair type (the wavy thread, the coarse hair thread etc.)

PraiseCheeses
March 4th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I was new not so long ago, so maybe I can help. :)

It’s difficult to put together a definitive guide for newbies because everyone comes here for different reasons and will thus be looking for different things. Some people come here with long and healthy hair and just want to learn styles and could benefit from an up-to-date pictorial style guide and tutorials. Some people come here with damaged hair and want to know how to fix it and will be most interested in learning about different moisture and protein treatments. Some people come here after a chop and want to “grow long hair fast” and would prefer information on supplements and scalp stimulation techniques, even though what they really need is “patience.” And of course, myriad other situations exist, and I don’t know if it would be possible to put together a newbie-links page that is complete enough and yet succinct enough to not be as intimidating as the main site, driving newbies to the main page to ask questions that have been answered before. (I’m not trying to newbie-bash at all here, just acknowledge that it happens and that there are good reasons for it.)

I found Ursula's standard newbie advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) to be a great universal approach, but I don’t think it offers much in terms of specific advice on things to try (and it would be impractical to do so for the aforementioned reasons). I can imagine a lot of people check it out hoping for specific advice they can implement immediately and are discouraged when it’s not what they were expecting. A lot of the Very Important Threads contain broken links (Style Dictionary, I’m looking at you!:mad:) and there have been a lot more threads recently that I feel should be more accessible, like the recently closed (and now buried) oil shampoo thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025).

When I came here, I had already been on baking soda and vinegar washes with leave-in jojoba oil for quite some months because I was trying to live As Cheaply As Possible. I found the site through a link in a comment on Essential Day Spa when I was researching the oil cleansing method. I was really focused on eschewing commercial products and cutting costs as my main motivations.

I lurked for quite a while before I registered. I’m one of those weirdos who loves reading rules and regulations and advice, so reading is pretty much what I did for a few weeks (to the detriment of sleep and real life). It’s hard to say what I focused on first, but I know my first LHC-inspired purchase was a jar of virgin coconut oil to replace the jojoba.

My focus was first on changes that could be made and evaluated most quickly – my wash routine. Thus I was most interested in reading about different oils (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=66), different (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com./showthread.php?t=3412) wash (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) methods (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1212), different treatments for moisture (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com./showthread.php?t=128) and protein, and different products. I think this would hold true for many people as well – we’re eager to start doing *something* right away that will yield results, and that is the most important and immediate step one can take to neutralize damage and prevent further damage. While I was experimenting with this, I was reading about supplements and nutritional information for more long-term results. My second purchase was MSM after reading all the threads I could find. I *just* got a canister of DE and started trying that too, after reading the entire thread, doing some extraneous research, and otherwise carefully considering what I put into my body. I loved Nightshade’s article on damaged hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com./vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) (the only thing better than reading about rules and regulations is reading about…dun dun duunnnn… CONSEQUENCES!!!) and found the information there to be incredibly valuable and influential in shaping my decisions for what I would do for my hair. I think that should be one of the first things people read, because many of us come here thinking something like, “I’m going to have long, thick, healthy hair – but I can’t give up the flatiron!” and we’re still deluded by mass media.

My first posts were mostly on those conversational, fun threads like “What was your worst hair mistake?” I didn’t know enough yet to contribute to the really interesting discussions, and these threads are good ways for new people to establish themselves as non-creepazoids and yes, build up their post count. Posting in the “New” section is great, but that board is very isolated from the main community. What percentage of members regularly post in the “New” board? (Could it be because posts don’t count?) Really, what can you do before you can see pictures? Oftentimes you can’t contribute to a discussion because it revolves around pictures from somebody’s album. I think the problem is when we get too many “What advice would you give to your younger self?” threads on the main page, because the wording is always slightly different and they tend to elude the grasping of this search engine. Those threads and their ilk are great for newbies though, because here they have relevant experiences to contribute and can establish themselves amongst the larger community while they earn privileges. We can also learn it’s not as acceptable as we think to insult all hairdressers because we had a bad experience when our LHC stylists come in and slap us down and remind us of our manners! :patrol:

The issue that dawned on me only very slowly was just how seriously potential stalkers and f*t*sh*ts shudder: are taken, and I wish that had been more clear early on. I had no idea that you had to blank out the word to prevent search engines from finding LHC. With the reaction to the latest troll and many albums and blogs being made private, I realized just how thin a line it is here. We’re all excited about becoming full-fledged members, but I guess it’s something that’s not completely acceptable to admit. I certainly understand and respect the reasons for the post counts and user permissions and I'm glad they are in place, but the reasons aren't readily apparent to new members. I realize most of the issue was that this particular troll was brazen and offensive, but I think it would be helpful to elucidate in the beginning about just how sensitive our communal privacy is, rather than let social conditioning take its course.

Some specific threads that newcomers might be most interested in, and how I would personally divide it up:

Threads that pertain to their current length and goals - like the super shortie thread, shoulder to APL, APL to BSL, BSL to waist, waist to tailbone, tailbone to classic, classic to knee, knee and beyond. This gives them people with whom they can commiserate and style ideas.

Wash methods threads - water only, sebum only, conditioner only, no poo, shampoo bars, Indian herbs, oil shampoo. This would put all the methods out there together for easy comparison.

Supplements thread - castor oil for growth, DE, MSM, biotin, prenatals, hair nutrition through diet, all in one place.

Color threads - cassia thread, honey thread, henna thread.

Moisture treatment threads

Protein treatment threads

Articles: the damaged hair article, the hair diagnosis article, the oil article.

(I'll try and come back to edit this with links for the threads and articles, but my cat just knocked over a lamp and wants to tromp around on broken glass. Thus ends the novella.)

krissykins
March 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Thank you to everyone who has contributed thus far! (I know I said I wouldn't be back for awhile, but I just got too curious. Mm, brownies...)

PraiseCheeses, your post is great! Especially when you pointed out how sensitive our community is. I had forgotten that until I realized how sensitive I was to the whole situation. I think it's interesting that you bring up the point of having "no definitive guide for newbies," which is completely true, but maybe this thread will inspire more guides being put together for each of those areas. I know that my intention was to figure out where I could point newbies instead of the ole "learn how to use the search tool or just look around til something interesting smacks you across the face."

jil, Stub, welcome to LHC! I hope you find what you're looking for :flower:

Anywhere, I had forgotten about the VIT! Thank you! RavennaNight, I'm glad that you found Ursula's advice so helpful, since I often point newbies there. At least it's helpful, even if it's not the first thing newbies wanted to hear!

Lianna, I know I haven't gotten to the history of cheese quite yet, although I do know the story. Guess I better get back to reading. Thanks for the link to the color analysis, that's really cool!

Cleopatra18
March 5th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Lol I just wanted to add that since LHC is SO enabling,please don't go out and buy every hair product in the markets.I did this when I first joined thinking "oh didnt someone post something nice about this?" and now over a year later I'm still stuck with mountains of stuff that I will probably not use.
Think carefully about your hair type and needs and don't try to copy routines.What works for someone may not work for you.:twocents:

RancheroTheBee
March 5th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hey ladies and gents ;) I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me.

See, when we talk to newbies, we tell them to peek around and get a feel for the site. You know, research to see what knowledge is lying around. So I wanted to know a couple of things:

Thanks so much for your help! I might not check on this thread until tomorrow because I must participate in dangerously chocolate-y activities right now (baking brownies, oh my!), but I wanted to put the idea out there. :D

1) I think the most important thing is to determine what someone's goal is (longer hair, healthier scalp, damage control, etc) and work backwards from there. The articles section, as others have mentioned, is a wonderful help; the one about damaged hair was a huge help to me a few years back when I was trying to baby crunchy, overdyed hair. No matter what you want to achieve, there's someone who has gone through the same thing.
2) What works for others may not work for me, and the value of patience.
3) Lurking! For weeks, I lurked like a madwoman, going through completely ancient threads and open blogs, trying to decide what was best for me. :p Of course, I tried everything anyway.

krissykins
March 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Cleopatra18, you are absolutely right. We need to warn newbies of the collective power of LHC enabling ;)

RancheroTheBee, thank you. I think patience can be undervalued when newbies see such amazing heads of hair here. Some want it NOW--and those gorgeous heads of hair may have taken years to get to that state!

CAPA7
March 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I am still very much a newbie, however this is what I found useful:
Doing tons of reading - I lurked for long time before even registering, then I lurked some more before my first post. There is a wealth of advice on LHC, and doing some research definitely paid off.
Even though I read lots of threads, The "articles" section was also really useful as it contained targeted, specific information: not just advice but "knowledge", if you see what I mean. However, it took me a while to actually browse the articles, so I agree with whoever said that it should be better advertised!
The first thing I learnt on LHC was about coconut oil, which I tried straight away. Seeing the good results, I then went on reading about other things which had at first looked a little "adventurous" to me (CO, ACV rinses, etc).
What I think newbies need to learn about hair (I include myself there!) is that you should experiment until you find what works for you, bearing in mind that quantities affect results almost just as much as the actual products you use.
Finally, I also think that knowing how to choose proper hair toys/tools is a skill you need to learn, and LHC is a great place for that. On the other hand, it means you'll end up spending all you hard-earned cash because this forum is SO enabling!

Panth
March 5th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I think they should learn this (though how to get them to is another question!):

Some things you do to hair are more damaging that others and YMMV always applies - but no matter what you do, be it a one-off or every day, is a "sin" and "evil" and "bad" and will get you chucked out of LHC or shunned or hated or whatever.

Seriously, the amount of "Oh, LHC, I've been so bad, don't kill me..." threads is ridiculous.

If you want to use heat, use heat. If you want to dye, dye. If you want to brush, brush. If you want to use cones, do so. Etc., etc., etc. Just if you chose to do those things and you know that they damage *YOUR* hair, remember that you are making a choice, a compromise: you are going to add some damage but if you like your hair better that way, then that's fine. It's a compromise.
E.g. on my hair, I had a choice - protective updos or it won't grow past classic. I chose the updos. But if I'd chosen to keep my hair loose all the time, that'd be ok too - it's my choice, it's not wrong. Now, it would be if I wore it loose and then moaned to everyone who would hear about how my hair wouldn't grow past classic and was unhappy with myself because it had stalled... but that's different.

There'd be a lot less self-hate if newbies realised that. The self-hate kinda gets me down sometimes...

(The other thing I think they all should read is Igor's blog post about biotin megadosing. Because that is something that could be causing people serious medical problems. It's rather more serious than hair.)

krissykins
March 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM
CAPA7, thank you for your input. I love hearing from newbies about what works :D there is definitely a LOT of advice, and it does take a lot of work to figure some stuff out. Reading the forums voraciously and asking questions when you are confused is the best possible way to take advantage of LHC ^_^

Panth, the self-hate gets me down too! I know that one may feel they are sacrificing something for heat styling/cones/hair coloring, but ultimately it is YOUR hair. Do what YOU want with it. If it makes you feel guilty/sad, then stop! If it makes you happy, then keep doing it! Listen to your hair and your heart.

I'm loving the replies so far :) thank you to everyone who has answered!

Blandine
March 5th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I think it's most important to know that you have just entered a whole new world. This world takes time to explore. You are starting an expedition.
In other words, patience. There is no spoonful of essential wisdom that can be swallowed in an instant. Start reading and exploring here and there. There is no right or wrong place or topc to start with. You'll make more and more discoveries, and this is part of the fun.

As second most important point, I'd like to mention that everybody's hair is different. There are very few general rules and there is a whole lot of items and methods to try, observe, and see whether they work for YOU and YOUR hair or not. This is also part of the expedition, and the fun.

islandboo
March 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM
The issue that dawned on me only very slowly was just how seriously potential stalkers and f*t*sh*ts are taken, and I wish that had been more clear early on. I had no idea that you had to blank out the word to prevent search engines from finding LHC.

Umm - relative newbie here. I apparently had the good fortune to miss out on some major drama before I joined. What word is it we are supposed to be blanking out and when should we do so? That sounds like a faux pas I would hate to make, but I am completely clueless about what is being discussed here and I suspect I may not be the only one. (I don't need details on the drama, just what actions are expected of me as a member here)

ericthegreat
March 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Lol I just wanted to add that since LHC is SO enabling,please don't go out and buy every hair product in the markets.I did this when I first joined thinking "oh didnt someone post something nice about this?" and now over a year later I'm still stuck with mountains of stuff that I will probably not use.
Think carefully about your hair type and needs and don't try to copy routines.What works for someone may not work for you.:twocents:

I second, third, even quadruple this point. I know, its almost inevitable that when new members come here, they will almost certainly be inundated with all the mountains of different haircare advice, and they suddenly think to themselves that what they've been doing to their hair before was all wrong and they now have to go out and buy all these new products. When the truth is, we all have radically different hairtypes and hair needs, so something that works magic for one person would be complete disaster for someone else!

The best thing to do if you're a new member here is actually stop and ask yourself what expectations that YOU personally have for your hair. Just because you see a thread that raves about a certain product or routine, doesn't mean that its necessarily right for you. It could and often does turns out that what you've been doing before was right all along, or that you only need to change only a few small things rather than doing a whole 180.

sibiryachka
March 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I second, third, even quadruple this point. I know, its almost inevitable that when new members come here, they will almost certainly be inundated with all the mountains of different haircare advice, and they suddenly think to themselves that what they've been doing to their hair before was all wrong and they now have to go out and buy all these new products. When the truth is, we all have radically different hairtypes and hair needs, so something that works magic for one person would be complete disaster for someone else!

The best thing to do if you're a new member here is actually stop and ask yourself what expectations that YOU personally have for your hair. Just because you see a thread that raves about a certain product or routine, doesn't mean that its necessarily right for you. It could and often does turns out that what you've been doing before was right all along, or that you only need to change only a few small things rather than doing a whole 180.

To these I would add: Pay attention, when thinking about whether to jump on a particular bandwagon, to the hair types of the people already on it. What does wonders to define curls for a 3b may well be way too intense for a 2a - ask me how I know this, and why it took me so long to figure it out :rolleyes:

By the same token, when filling out your profile info, please include those details for the good of those who will come after you.

princessp
March 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
-How to search the site
-How important it is to read the VIT first
-How to use the features (for instance, I didn't know we could ignore. I still haven't used the feature but anyway it would have been nice to know I had that option)
-Post counts and permissions
-Maybe a blurb on f*tish and banning and all the things noobs seem to worry about

Not that you are asking, but I'll offer some suggestions to the mods too:

-It would be great if we had one thread called "hair type me" so a new thread is not generated each time a noob gets here and is trying to figure it out.

-Also, someone recently started a thread looking for a "hair mentor". I was thinking this would be great if we actually had hair mentors. These would be folks who volunteer to answer the questions of noobs (maybe it is a commitment of 3 months because by then most people know the ropes around here). Mentors could offer one on one guidance about general hair stuff and questions about the site (having a mentor would not be mandatory, rather this would be offered only if requested). Maybe that is a crazy idea, but it might just eliminate a lot of the repeat threads and questions we've all answered a gazillion times. I envision this as a sticky thread in the "new start here" section where noobs could request a mentor, a member would accept and off they would go.

-It would also be great to be able to search by hair type (I know we can scroll through member lists, but I wish we had an easier way to do this).

-I also wish we had a subforum under mane forum specifically dedicated to updos with stickies at the top for all the awesome video links/pictures/tutorials. I think it would be great to have a designated area for this. Maybe we already have this, I don't know. I've been here a year and I'm still learning new stuff and figuring out how this place is organized.

tigr
March 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
The issue that dawned on me only very slowly was just how seriously potential stalkers and f*t*sh*ts are taken, and I wish that had been more clear early on. I had no idea that you had to blank out the word to prevent search engines from finding LHC.I am completely clueless about what is being discussed here and I suspect I may not be the only one.
I'm trying to think of a way to say this that will be as clear as possible while still being vague enough for our younger members. So I'm not trying to talk down to you.

There are people who like to try to make babies after seeing pictures of women's hair - instead of as an expression of love for their spouse/beloved.

Sad but true.

princessp
March 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I'm trying to think of a way to say this that will be as clear as possible while still being vague enough for our younger members. So I'm not trying to talk down to you.

There are people who like to try to make babies after seeing pictures of women's hair - instead of as an expression of love for their spouse/beloved.

Sad but true.

Haha, yeah but aren't they sort of "wasting their babies" because they are, um, solo? Or are they actually going out and being intimate with their beloved with these images in mind? I guess I'm not too sure myself. But it is something like that right?

Iylivarae
March 5th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Haha, yeah but aren't they sort of "wasting their babies" because they are, um, solo? Or are they actually going out and being intimate with their beloved with these images in mind? I guess I'm not too sure myself. But it is something like that right?

True f*t*shists usually can't even get in the right mood without their "object". So... even if they are in a relationship, they'll either need a partner that matches their f*t*sh, or they need to strongly think about it. Most of them usually are solo, due to problems finding partners that are ok with subordinating themselves to the f*t*sh...

RancheroTheBee
March 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM

"Wasting their babies" is the best thing I've heard all day. :laugh:

islandboo
March 5th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Sad but true.

Um, yeah - I got that part - so it is the f word that describes those people that we are supposed to avoid ever using?

Iylivarae
March 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Um, yeah - I got that part - so it is the f word that describes those people that we are supposed to avoid ever using?

Yes. Otherwise if they search for "hair f*t*sh" on google they'll find this site. We'd like to avoid that.

krissykins
March 5th, 2011, 08:54 PM
-It would also be great to be able to search by hair type (I know we can scroll through member lists, but I wish we had an easier way to do this).

If you go to the members list, click search, then click "advanced search", you can search by hair type or whatever other qualifiers you'd like :flower:

Well, since I don't like talking about wasting potential children, I think we should get this thread back on track :cool: thanks so much to everyone who has contributed so far! :D

ETA: islandboo, I would suggest avoiding it as it would lead anyone who googled that word to LHC, since this website ranks really high on google.

islandboo
March 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
<hangs head in shame for opening can of worms>

Umm- this isn't a hair knowledge thing but I find that I still have trouble using the search function which is frustrating because I am usually pretty good with such things. Often I want to look for a 3 letter word and it won't let me (a hair toy search is a different critter than a hair search but it won't let me do toy). Also, I don't know how to do a Boolean search and that limits the usefulness of the search feature as well because I have to sift through tons of threads. Often established members will suggest a newbie search for a given topic so having clear instructions of how to do so in the New section would be helpful.

krissykins
March 6th, 2011, 09:39 AM
<hangs head in shame for opening can of worms>

Umm- this isn't a hair knowledge thing but I find that I still have trouble using the search function which is frustrating because I am usually pretty good with such things. Often I want to look for a 3 letter word and it won't let me (a hair toy search is a different critter than a hair search but it won't let me do toy). Also, I don't know how to do a Boolean search and that limits the usefulness of the search feature as well because I have to sift through tons of threads. Often established members will suggest a newbie search for a given topic so having clear instructions of how to do so in the New section would be helpful.

Don't feel bad :) it was an important topic to bring up for sure! Many newbies didn't know what people like about our hair shudder:

Have you checked this thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64449) for help searching? :)

HairStickler
March 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I am a newbie who is mostly interested in (read: addicted to) hair toys. I think the thread about self-made hair toys is just fantastic, but it is almost 400 pages long. Every 10 pages or so, somebody will ask where to find pre-drilled hairsticks because it is really daunting to read through 400 pages of posts. There are other frequently-asked questions, such as how to turn found branches into hair sticks, what type of glue is best, how to seal wood, how to color wood, where to find findings, how to make faux flexis, how to use knitting needles, etc.

Since there appears to be a lot of interest in making hairtoys, and since non-newbies are even having trouble finding the information, maybe there could be a way to distill the information in that epic thread into some articles or into some sticky posts in the hair-toy section. I would personally love to see the information in a more accessible format.

krissykins
March 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I am a newbie who is mostly interested in (read: addicted to) hair toys. I think the thread about self-made hair toys is just fantastic, but it is almost 400 pages long. Every 10 pages or so, somebody will ask where to find pre-drilled hairsticks because it is really daunting to read through 400 pages of posts. There are other frequently-asked questions, such as how to turn found branches into hair sticks, what type of glue is best, how to seal wood, how to color wood, where to find findings, how to make faux flexis, how to use knitting needles, etc.

Since there appears to be a lot of interest in making hairtoys, and since non-newbies are even having trouble finding the information, maybe there could be a way to distill the information in that epic thread into some articles or into some sticky posts in the hair-toy section. I would personally love to see the information in a more accessible format.

To be quite honest, this is a problem for a lot of threads. The self-made hairtoys thread is just one of the massive topics we have here at LHC. The only way to summarize those threads would be to have someone read through, page by page, and write down all the important points in the thread. Frustrating, I know, but if anyone wants to do it, I salute you.

Welcome to LHC, by the way! :)

HairStickler
March 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks, krissykins. Yes, that would be a huge project! Maybe someone has a good memory and won't have to review all the posts.... :)

Edda
March 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Mine is pretty much a pixie compared to everyone here! I have a long way to go.

krissykins
March 6th, 2011, 09:38 PM

Welcome to LHC, Edda! Don't worry--I felt inferior with my APL hair when I first started here. Now I have a gorgeous head of waist length curls for others to adore the way I adored other members' hair. The time passes fast! ^_^ I hope this thread has helped you :)

Lianna
March 6th, 2011, 09:52 PM

Join us in the Any Super-Shorties Out There??? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405) thread. :)

islandboo
March 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Have you checked this thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64449) for help searching? :)

That is exactly what I was hoping for! Any chance it could go in the VIT sticky?

krissykins
March 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Hmm, I think the mods were going to put it there. I'll ask them if they haven't done that already. :)

Firefox7275
March 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I am a newbie who found the "New Start Here!" right away - the advice not to try everything at once is excellent (Ursula's) and the acronyms are very helpful. :D Maybe the exact same "New Start Here!" sticky on all the main hair boards? Some people might not know what the 'User CP' is for, also the Articles section is not glaringly obvious.

I struggled to analyse my hair even with the guide, if your hair has been chemically treated or is very short its natural curl or strand thickness can be concealed. :o Maybe an early emphasis on analysing your water quality, lifestyle/ routine, or current stash of hair products? This might slow newbies down from trying everything in the first week or getting overwhelmed.

But the absolute best thing was finding that LHC is a friendly place where people really want to help. :)

ETA: As someone who knows plenty about nutrition (healthcare is my livelihood) it really worries me how many posts there are asking about, giving advice on or recommending specific 'vitamins' - many of which are not vitamins at all. I do mean recommending, many only state what supplements they take but suggesting or advocating a particular regime happens regularly. I've also seen completely wrong medical advice on the 'Health' board to the point I am staying away as I don't want to appear argumentative. That is a bigger issue than just alerting newbies tho.

krissykins
March 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I am a newbie who found the "New Start Here!" right away - the advice not to try everything at once is excellent (Ursula's) and the acronyms are very helpful. :D Maybe the exact same "New Start Here!" sticky on all the main hair boards? Some people might not know what the 'User CP' is for, also the Articles section is not glaringly obvious.

I struggled to analyse my hair even with the guide, if your hair has been chemically treated or is very short its natural curl or strand thickness can be concealed. :o Maybe an early emphasis on analysing your water quality, lifestyle/ routine, or current stash of hair products? This might slow newbies down from trying everything in the first week or getting overwhelmed.

But the absolute best thing was finding that LHC is a friendly place where people really want to help. :)

ETA: As someone who knows plenty about nutrition (healthcare is my livelihood) it really worries me how many posts there are asking about, giving advice on or recommending specific 'vitamins' - many of which are not vitamins at all. I do mean recommending, many only state what supplements they take but suggesting or advocating a particular regime happens regularly. I've also seen completely wrong medical advice on the 'Health' board to the point I am staying away as I don't want to appear argumentative. That is a bigger issue than just alerting newbies tho.

Wow, I think that is EXCELLENT advice! Thanks :)

As for the Health & Body Beautiful board, I don't think you should stay away. Maybe just strongly suggest they consult a professional :)

Laurenji
March 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I would love to help write articles, condense information, and make the article area more newbie friendly. I don't know if you have to have a certain number of posts to write articles, though. I would be more than willing to go through some of the massive threads and write articles on them, or write up articles on the cones/SLS debates, or something like that. I just always assumed you had to be super-active...I'm not much of a chatterbox, so my post count isn't high, but if there's one thing a university education has taught me, it's how to research massive amounts of reading and write articles on it.

I'd also totally be down with the Hair Mentor thing. It'd be kind of fun to help get a newbie on their feet, especially if they have the same type of hair as mine so that I'd know how to help them.

I have a suggestion for the "hair styles" section of the article page: maybe it could be organized by hair length. I have a hard time knowing how much length it takes to do certain styles, and so I always find ones I want to try, but don't have the length for it, or have too much.

Firefox7275
March 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Wow, I think that is EXCELLENT advice! Thanks :)

As for the Health & Body Beautiful board, I don't think you should stay away. Maybe just strongly suggest they consult a professional :)

Glad to be able to put something back into the community. :o

It's not just the Health board it's the Hair boards too with all the vitamin talk. I guess I am just used to places where they are super strict (= too strict) about giving health-related advice. I don't means to sound critical of how things are run here, and I totally understand that many discussions might come over as innocuous unless healthcare was your thing. I can't be everywhere and I don't want to end up looking like an amateur mod or party pooper. :(

Maybe when I've been around for a few months I might be able to add to the articles section? Hair health is not exactly my specialist subject. :p

HairStickler
March 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I would love to help write articles, condense information, and make the article area more newbie friendly. I don't know if you have to have a certain number of posts to write articles, though. I would be more than willing to go through some of the massive threads and write articles on them, or write up articles on the cones/SLS debates, or something like that. I just always assumed you had to be super-active...I'm not much of a chatterbox, so my post count isn't high, but if there's one thing a university education has taught me, it's how to research massive amounts of reading and write articles on it.
That is great!:cheese:

Lianna
March 17th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Permission to write articles here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1658

krissykins
March 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM
@ Laurenji: You can submit articles when you have 60+ posts/100 days, so go ahead and give it a shot ;)

The problem with organizing hairstyles by length is that everyone's hair varies. I still cannot do a lot of buns that are very popular, like the Nautilus and Spidermom's bun and a whole host of other fun ones. Thick hair is mean sometimes :(

@ Firefox7275: The vitamin talks scares me too, especially when fat soluble vitamins are being taken at high doses. Even the water soluble ones shouldn't be taken at 20x the RDA (I'm looking at you, biotin!) But I definitely think you should speak up on what is harmful to a person's health. I'd rather be healthy and safe, so I'd want to know if I was doing something stupid for long hair :flower:

Firefox7275
March 18th, 2011, 11:55 AM
@ Firefox7275: The vitamin talks scares me too, especially when fat soluble vitamins are being taken at high doses. Even the water soluble ones shouldn't be taken at 20x the RDA (I'm looking at you, biotin!) But I definitely think you should speak up on what is harmful to a person's health. I'd rather be healthy and safe, so I'd want to know if I was doing something stupid for long hair :flower:

I am trying to speak up, but I feel like I am on my own. In some instances the human body down-regulates it's uptake of nutrients, thus it's possible to get rebound scurvy from abruptly ceasing high dose Vitamin C! Nine portions of fruit and veg a day is the HG of nutrition, but you don't eat 700g of raw baby spinach each morning. :brickwall Maybe I will blog on it at some point.

What are the hoping to do with the results of this thread? :)

krissykins
March 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I am trying to speak up, but I feel like I am on my own. In some instances the human body down-regulates it's uptake of nutrients, thus it's possible to get rebound scurvy from abruptly ceasing high dose Vitamin C! Nine portions of fruit and veg a day is the HG of nutrition, but you don't eat 700g of raw baby spinach each morning. :brickwall Maybe I will blog on it at some point.

What are the hoping to do with the results of this thread? :)

Don't worry. If you speak up, others will too! I believe in you :cheer: I'm really interested in nutrition, so I love hearing your opinion.

As for the results of this thread... well, several people have been wondering if I'm writing an article. The original reason for this thread was to kind of get a feel for what *I* should be saying/recommending to newbies, because I love to help, but I often feel like I pop into those threads and add something completely irrelevant. It makes me feel good when something I say actually helps. Plus, directing someone to what has helped previous members who have successfully found a routine to stick with is one way of helping new people with their first steps.

To address the article thing though, yes, I'm working on a very rough version of the basics of LHC. The articles section doesn't provide a lot of information on some of the things that a lot of people swear by. It's all very general and when this site was smaller, that was effective. LHC is a huge source of information now, and it would be very helpful to condense a lot of it into the basics and provide sources of more in-depth detail.

I'm building a series of articles with basic explanations to wash methods, oiling, basic styling techniques, and whatever other bits I pull up when I'm searching for popular things on LHC. Looking at members' routines has been helpful.

So now this thread is basically a plea for whatever contributions others want to add :flower: it would be super helpful as I'm short on time and am still in the research stage.

deko
March 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM
My 2cents:

- Don't heat style. Ever.
- Do one minor change to your hair care routine and see how it affects your hair. Don't change everything at once. If your hair doesn't like the changes you made then deep cleanse and try a different one.
- My hair loves the CWC and Hybrid wash, you should try these if you haven't already. Read more on the articles section.
- Always follow the "two week rule".
- If your hair likes cones, use them. Don't be ashamed of it. Just remember to use sulfate shampoos once in a while and your hair will be fine. Cones are not The Evil Thing.
- Protect your ends if you want to grow a long healthy hair!

Laurenji
March 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'd really like to help with the articles too! I'm already working on the self-made hairtoys thread as was suggested earlier, but I was getting all sorts of ideas about good information to put into newbie-friendly articles.

One of the ideas I had for an article was "Things you can start doing right away (without buying anything) that will improve the condition of your hair." Since a lot of newbies want to DO something right away, I thought this could be a good one. It could include things like:

-Diluting your shampoo
-Using the "press your conditioner into your hair" method that popped up on a recent thread (the "how to improve your hair in 300 seconds a day" or something thread.)

Then, for the more adventurous:
-recipes for hair treatments that include common household items, like EVOO or bananas or whatever else it is people use. (I don't really do a lot of the "food" treatments, so I'm not really sure about all of the things you could use, but I know there's a lot of things you can do with common household ingredients.)

freckles
March 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread earlier, it's a great idea krissykins! :)

-Also, someone recently started a thread looking for a "hair mentor". I was thinking this would be great if we actually had hair mentors. These would be folks who volunteer to answer the questions of noobs (maybe it is a commitment of 3 months because by then most people know the ropes around here). Mentors could offer one on one guidance about general hair stuff and questions about the site (having a mentor would not be mandatory, rather this would be offered only if requested). Maybe that is a crazy idea, but it might just eliminate a lot of the repeat threads and questions we've all answered a gazillion times. I envision this as a sticky thread in the "new start here" section where noobs could request a mentor, a member would accept and off they would go.
That is an awesome idea! Seriously, seriously cool :) as well as helping newbies actually find information, sometimes when you're new to a forum you can feel a bit small and invisible since nobody knows you, and with a mentor you at least know that one person knows and cares who you are. I'm not like a hair goddess or anything so getting me might be the short straw, but I would definitely be up for mentoring a newbie. I'm on here so much anyway. :lol: However, I can see this might be difficult considering newbies don't have profile/PM privileges. I guess it would have to be through email or something? Or maybe something like formspring, which would mean that all the help you've given to your newbie is public and therefore maybe could be used for future information?

You can do this already! Memberslist -> Search Members -> Advanced Search. here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/memberlist.php?do=search).

krissykins
March 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks freckles :D

I think that a mentor thing is a good idea, but there are lots of kinks to work out. Either way, we should suggest it to the mods!

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Don't worry. If you speak up, others will too! I believe in you :cheer: I'm really interested in nutrition, so I love hearing your opinion.

As for the results of this thread... well, several people have been wondering if I'm writing an article. The original reason for this thread was to kind of get a feel for what *I* should be saying/recommending to newbies, because I love to help, but I often feel like I pop into those threads and add something completely irrelevant. It makes me feel good when something I say actually helps. Plus, directing someone to what has helped previous members who have successfully found a routine to stick with is one way of helping new people with their first steps.

I appreciated your input earlier today on the biotin thing, thanks. :) One of the things that helps is just posting on a newbies thread, it helps them feel welcome and not like their questions are stupid.

To address the article thing though, yes, I'm working on a very rough version of the basics of LHC. The articles section doesn't provide a lot of information on some of the things that a lot of people swear by. It's all very general and when this site was smaller, that was effective. LHC is a huge source of information now, and it would be very helpful to condense a lot of it into the basics and provide sources of more in-depth detail.

I'm building a series of articles with basic explanations to wash methods, oiling, basic styling techniques, and whatever other bits I pull up when I'm searching for popular things on LHC. Looking at members' routines has been helpful.

So now this thread is basically a plea for whatever contributions others want to add :flower: it would be super helpful as I'm short on time and am still in the research stage.

Not really sure what I can do to help as I still finding my way around and don't have a lot of hair knowledge, but I am willing.

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'd really like to help with the articles too! I'm already working on the self-made hairtoys thread as was suggested earlier, but I was getting all sorts of ideas about good information to put into newbie-friendly articles.

One of the ideas I had for an article was "Things you can start doing right away (without buying anything) that will improve the condition of your hair." Since a lot of newbies want to DO something right away, I thought this could be a good one. It could include things like:

-Diluting your shampoo
-Using the "press your conditioner into your hair" method that popped up on a recent thread (the "how to improve your hair in 300 seconds a day" or something thread.)

Then, for the more adventurous:
-recipes for hair treatments that include common household items, like EVOO or bananas or whatever else it is people use. (I don't really do a lot of the "food" treatments, so I'm not really sure about all of the things you could use, but I know there's a lot of things you can do with common household ingredients.)

That's a great idea! :cool: You could add in stuff about how to avoid mechanical damage - brushing/ combing/ hairtoys, when to tie your hair back so it doesn't get tangles, turn the heat down on your blow fryer or flat iron, clean your hairbrush to remove lint and old product, don't rub with a towel.

Household treatments could include diluted vinegar/ lemon juice/ club soda/ tea/ beer for rinsing, honey/ syrup, any oils, baking soda for clarifying, aloe vera gel, eggs, banana, avocado, coconut milk, mayonnaise for masks, epsom salts, corn flour as a dry shampoo, coffee for darkening, cinnamon for lightening. Then there are gentle hair ties from hosiery, sock buns from holey socks, old t-shirt for wrapping/ plopping as your hair dries, heat treatments wrapped in cling film (?saran wrap) and a towel.

okiesarah
April 11th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Oooh, this thread has already helped a bunch! All the info in one place is a huge task though, as there is just SO MUCH information on here......
A hair mentor sounds cool though :D

krissykins
April 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm glad it helped :) it's given me a lot of ideas for sure. I'm starting using shampoo bars because I was reading the massive thread so I could condense it into an article :o

There's definitely a lot of information here, which is why I called on LHCers to help me out! haha

Rhockstarr
April 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm totally a newbie and here's what shocked me: yesterday after reading on the forums for a couple hours and looking at photos, I looked in the mirror and thought my BSL hair was SHORT. Before that I totally thought my hair was finally getting long! Haha. :)

This is my first quote, but I concur! I'm about bsl too and this site makes me feel like my hair is SHORT!!!

Miss Catrina
April 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I think the most important things are that:

- "Squeaky clean" hair is not necessarily the best thing. Newbies should definitely be aware of SLS-free shampoos and the difference they make for some people, conditioner-only washing, and CWC.
- There's not much you can do to make hair grow faster, so it's more important to baby what you have and help it keep growing in healthy with S&D, good combing techniques, oiling, nutrition, etc.
- Never assume something that works for someone else will work for you, or that something that doesn't work for someone else won't work for you. A few years ago I went to the Livejournal equivalent of this community, when I was younger and dumber, and just plain explained my haircare routine and asked what was wrong with it! I looked ridiculous and no one really knew what to say, because SLS shampoo is fine for some people, brushes are fine for some people, etc.

chenille
April 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I am a complete and total noob, I was having a great time reading all the forum threads and never noticed the articles section until now! Good thing I didn't have anything particular planned for tonight, I will be over here reading...

krissykins
April 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Welcome to LHC, Rhockstarr and chenille! :flower:

I think the most important things are that:

- "Squeaky clean" hair is not necessarily the best thing. Newbies should definitely be aware of SLS-free shampoos and the difference they make for some people, conditioner-only washing, and CWC.
- There's not much you can do to make hair grow faster, so it's more important to baby what you have and help it keep growing in healthy with S&D, good combing techniques, oiling, nutrition, etc.
- Never assume something that works for someone else will work for you, or that something that doesn't work for someone else won't work for you. A few years ago I went to the Livejournal equivalent of this community, when I was younger and dumber, and just plain explained my haircare routine and asked what was wrong with it! I looked ridiculous and no one really knew what to say, because SLS shampoo is fine for some people, brushes are fine for some people, etc.

These are excellent points, but I do want to point out that some people have methods that they believe help them grow hair faster, such as applying Monistat to one's scalp. That's not something I'm going to venture into though ;)

okiesarah
April 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Not necessarily something to know, but what would be really great is if there was a post thread for noobs where we could just go post random nonesense until we hit the number of posts it takes to see albums. I get so bummed when I can't see hairstyle pictures!

Firefox7275
April 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Not necessarily something to know, but what would be really great is if there was a post thread for noobs where we could just go post random nonesense until we hit the number of posts it takes to see albums. I get so bummed when I can't see hairstyle pictures!

The reason it is this way is because of creeps who have a f*t*sh (unhealthy interest) for long hair. I starred out the vowels so there is no Google hit and because there are youngsters reading LHC. The idea is the need for 25 quality posts screens out the trolls and creeps, I found it super frustrating BUT it really does seem to work. :D

okiesarah
April 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Well I'm glad there's a good reason, but it is still frustrating! I'm more of a lurker than a commenter but I guess I'll have to find more things to say something about :)

krissykins
April 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Well I'm glad there's a good reason, but it is still frustrating! I'm more of a lurker than a commenter but I guess I'll have to find more things to say something about :)

Keep in mind that the posts need to be "quality" posts, ie, not random jabber. The post count is definitely there for a reason. There are plenty of threads to contribute on without needing to be an expert (like this one ;)), and when in doubt, ask a question!

Welcome to LHC! :waving:

chopandchange
April 12th, 2011, 06:04 PM

This is known as the "LHC effect." ;)

My hair is now at tailbone length, and it still looks short to me. When I look in the mirror I am mentally comparing it to the hair of the ladies I've seen on here who have hair down to their knees or calves.

Meanwhile, the real-life people around us are mentally comparing our hair to theirs, and thinking we have some sort of self-image distortion for constantly insisting our hair is still short. LOL

Mojavewolf
April 13th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I found the articles section to be extremely helpful when I first started here. I would recommend all newbies visit the articles. Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice also very helpful.

Reading. I did tons of reading on the site before I started posting.

The most important thing I learned about here was to stop heat styling, or at least if one didn't want to stop heat styling to atleast know it can be damaging if done wrong. Oiling and washing methods, also very important.

Hey can you send the url to that site...I want to read it too..

krissykins
April 13th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Which site are you referring to? :confused: LHC or the articles section? Or something else? Haha :p

Mountaingrrl
April 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39