PDA

View Full Version : I thought wearing your hair up all the time was bad?

et--cetera
March 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I remember reading and hearing this before I found LHC and I just wanted your weight in on this idea.

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 04:30 PM
For me, wearing it down would be worse. My hair gets into everything. It has even managed to snag itself into that little gap between the back of the light switch cover and the wall. Ow; pulled out hairs! And how about open flames? I had to use a gas stove while on vacation, but not before I securely put my hair up or at least braided it back.

Anything you do short of putting hair under glass in a darkened room has the potential to cause damage, and I think wearing it down is more damaging than wearing it up for most people.

julliams
March 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM
If you wore your hair in a ponytail, tying it in the same place over and over and ripping the elastic with metal on it out of your hair every time, you would see breakage in that area. That's possibly the type of thing you might have heard in the past???

What you will learn from reading the threads, is that with your ends tucked under and using something non-damaging like a hairstick or flexi-8, you can protect your length.

You may already know but updos are great for those times when you need to throw it up quickly ie cooking or when you are obsessing about length, and need to not think about it for a while, when you want to do a treatment and leave it in for hours but you need to go out (as well as many other reasons of course).

I also wear my hair up to work because I work with children and I can't stand the idea of getting head-lice, plus it looks more professional in my field.

Madora
March 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Wearing your hair up all the time is not bad. The "bad" part happens when you place the hairsticks in the same place day after day, or you ponytail at the same place all the time.

The hairs that are constantly used the same way are weakened over time and your scalp will suffer the consequences.

Wearing your hair up is beneficial. It's all in HOW you wear it up.

et--cetera
March 4th, 2011, 04:47 PM
So does anyone have any suggestion on where to start for good hair up practice so I don't keep doing ponytails for quick and easy?

Lianna
March 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I kinda hate when people say "you can't wear your hair up while damp". Damp bunning is a great way to keep moisture in your hair longer, smooths frizz and gives lovely waves (for some). Plus you don't have wet hair sticking to your body, which is great for someone who washes everyday and finds that very annoying (like me!).

MissEarlGrey
March 4th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I kinda hate when people say "you can't wear your hair up while damp". Damp bunning is a great way to keep moisture in your hair longer, smooths frizz and gives lovely waves (for some). Plus you don't have wet hair sticking to your body, which is great for someone who washes everyday and finds that very annoying (like me!).

I always heard you shouldn't do this because your hair could grow "mold".

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I think you'd have to be in a constantly humid and hot climate to get mold from damp bunning.

et--cetera
March 4th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I always heard you shouldn't do this because your hair could grow "mold".

Oh my gosh, that is the funniest thing I have heard this week.:D
I usually wear my hair in a bun when it is wet because its wavy anyways so it doesn't matter. But I also live in a dry and humidless place so no mold for me!

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Look in the articles section; lots of hair styles to try. YouTube is another good place to search for hair styles with how-to instructions. Good luck!

Lianna
March 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I've been damp bunning in a hot humid climate since the day I could bun (few months ago). Nothing bad happened so far, just smooth waves and no frizz whatsoever! :D I actually "clean" my hair everyday so I don't see why anything would grow in there (everyday SLS washer).

I've also seen lots of video/advice on this, because it's a protective style, I'm not the only one doing it!

Beets
March 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM
You know, I live in a really humid climate, and I have noticed that my hair gets a musty funk if I wear it in a bun wet for two days or more. (My hair's on the thicker side, and I have coarse hairs mixed in with my mediums, so it takes a long, long time to dry under even the driest and warmest conditions.) I never knew that was a "thing," but I'm glad to know my nose wasn't just playing tricks on me!

Also, I didn't know that wearing your hair up in the same way even with hairsticks was a no-no. I think I wear a Nautilus bun at least 50% of the time! Woops. Off to reaquaint myself with the styles section... :p

Fufu
March 4th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Personally I think it is finding the balance, sometimes wear hair up, sometimes wear hair down.

ScarlettAdelle
March 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I've been damp bunning my hair consistently for over 10 years and not once had a mildew incident, and I had an ocean view and kept my windows open 24 - 7 for 7 of those years.

HintOfMint
March 5th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I think that wearing hair up in a tight updo repeatedly could cause traction alopecia, and tying it in the same place could cause damage where the elastic is, but other than that, I don't think there is anything bad. As long as you're using safe methods to tie your hair and aren't doing tight styles that stress out your roots, you should be fine.

Aveyronnaise
March 5th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I think you'd have to be in a constantly humid and hot climate to get mold from damp bunning.
I got ' moldy smelling head ' when I lived in Portland once but it took like a week and a half of walking around with a wet updo'ed head. My hair is really thick too so it never ever dried. It went away after washing it once and letting it dry down once.

enfys
March 5th, 2011, 03:32 AM
On top of what has been said, fashion magazines etc that talk about this often show updo instructions that are full of backcombing and hairspray. Following their style guides daily would be bad for your hair!

I wear mine up daily, mixing up styles and how/where I secure it. No problems for me.

Lady-Djenevre
March 5th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Well if you think about it in the olden days when most women had long hair they always wore it up. In mg grandma's young day only young girls wore their hair down and putting it up was the sign you had become a "woman". Respectable women wore it up all the time except when they were at home and very informal. You only have to look at some of the pictures of Victorian women with long hair to see that it did them no harm.

My grandma took hers down every night and brushed it with 100 strokes before going to bed.