PDA

View Full Version : DIY Conditioner/Humecant + Oil burns hair?

brokensticker
March 4th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Hello!

I've found some DIY conditioner recipies on other websites but I can't seem to find the ones in the archive. I'm also looking for a Humecant, oil doesn't seem to be adding much moisture to my hair.

If I use too much oil does it have a drying effect as opposed to moisturizing?
I've recently been using Jojoba, but I've also used EVOO and Coconut Oil and haven't felt like its helped much with tangling or moisture. My hair is gets curlier towards the ends and tangles easily.

A hairstylist told me yesterday that putting oil on my hair was a bad idea because it would burn in the sun? Any thoughts on that?

thanks!

Anje
March 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM
For a humectant, how about glycerin/glycerol (pick your spelling)?

I haven't heard any complaints about oils causing hair to burn in the sun, but I know a few people have reported bad results from oiling and then heat styling. Of course, the temperatures involved really aren't comparable. I do know that a good thorough pre-oiling has made a world of difference in the condition of my hair at the end of a hot day wearing it loose.

Kaelee
March 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I oil my hair almost every day, have done so for a couple years now and it's in great condition. Never noticed any sun damage. :)

Now, if you put oil on your SKIN and go out in the sun, it's a different story...

danacc
March 5th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Check out The much-recommended SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) for a moisturizing treatment.

Oil doesn't technically moisturize, but most likely what you're after is suppleness, and it can definitely help with that. Too much oil can make your hair oily. It won't make it drier. Different hair likes different oil, so if what you're using isn't working for you right now, you might want to try a different one.

rogue_psyche
March 5th, 2011, 02:43 AM
It's unfortunate how *some* hairstylists love to spread lies about haircare, even as they work in salons that reek of burned hair from their flat irons and hair dryers.

Here at the LHC I've heard some pretty far out stories (egg treatments cooking in the shower, for example), but I've never heard of one instance where the sun cooked the oil in someone's hair. The Articles section would have more info on how oils work, and which aren't so good in your hair.

Edited to add: Oh, and there's studies that showed that Coconut oil has properties that protect against sun damage. Can't remember where the exact link is, but I'm guessing it would be on one of Ktani's threads, possibly the "Possible way to protect hair from Peroxide Damage" one.