PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Hair Down A lot and Damage....

PhillyGirl1978@
March 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Ok, so I know I leave my hair down more than is generally advisable here. But I just love long hair and I like to show it off every chance I get. I love tossing it out of my eyes, I love having it blow in the wind and I love how it shines in the sun. Now...I know that this is gonna cause damage. I recently got a lot of damage cut off. And that part really felt like velcro...it was awful. It is so soft and healthy feeling now so I am trying to keep it that from happening again. When it grows back this time I want to keep it feeling healthy.

So, for quite some time I had been off Cones...I really think that with the "super-curls " that I have, I really need them. I also don't know that the part that was cut-off, (which was hennaed over and over again) I somehow think that may have kept the moisture out. But anyway, now I am back back on cones. I am wondering, do you think that cones are needed to protect hair when I wear it down like I do?

I'm thinking like frizz-serum, some of those cone laden things that may help my hair slide against stuff without getting caught on stuff and tangled. Any thoughts?

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
My thought is that you're better off wearing it up if you don't have the time to watch out for your hair.

I use both oil and a coney serum on my damp ends, oil applied first. It seems to really help retain moisture for me.

perkidanman
March 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I'm the same way with my hair as far as leaving it down (and making other people jelous, haha) but honestly my hair was worse with cones. I'm doing the no-poo thing and that plus being more conciensious of how i brush and take care of my hair has left it much less damaged.

That being said, hair care is a lot like skin care. What works for me might not work for you. Your hair might benefit from the cones or it might get by fine with a bit of oil (and maybe a more protective style that still shows it off, like a braid).

pepperminttea
March 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
If you're curious about trying 'cones again, I'd go the serum/leave-in route too. It's not as heavy as using a 'cone-y shampoo or conditioner, but just gives you that bit of slip. Post-wash on 60-70% dry hair, I detangle, comb, use a pea or two of NB panacea (or you could use a favoured oil or leave-in), and then a smidge of 'cone-y serum on the top. It really helps keep my ends happy when I use 'cones. :)

Having said that, if you do try 'cones again, and then months later you get the crunchy ends of doom - clarify before you trim. 'Cone build-up and damage can feel quite similar.

3azza
March 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Yes frizz serum is good. I like to keep my hair down most of the time too. I even find it healthier than updos because my hairs break due to weight and when i section it for braiding.

Jenn of Pence
March 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Having said that, if you do try 'cones again, and then months later you get the crunchy ends of doom - clarify before you trim. 'Cone build-up and damage can feel quite similar.

Yes, clarify just in case! I had to learn that. I think cones are fine, as long as one's hair approves; just be aware of that. But, as far as wearing it down, I like to do so as well, but I've had to learn to be careful...keeping it from catching under shoulder straps, letting it blow and tangle in the wind, trapping it between my back and a chair. I am making constant adjustments to try to avoid those. If it's windy, I pull it back really fast or, if it's a quick trip outside, just hold onto the ends so they won't tangle. Even cones won't prevent damage from repeated wind exposure or other environmental effects...

ericthegreat
March 4th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I can't stress enough how great coconut oil is! Its what kept my hair damage free and healthy while I bleached it to blonde. If you haven't already, go out and buy coconut oil (I know you recently went to WholeFoods you can definitely find it there) and apply it as a leave-in.

As for going back to cones, if you know that your hair likes them then by all means use them! Different people have different hair which have different needs. Some hate cones, some love cones. Just remember that you will need to clarify with a proper shampoo. If you do want to use a coney serum, do follow spidermom's suggestion and make sure your hair is lightly oiled first before you put the serum on top of it.

And I know that you prefer to wear it down a lot, but just maybe you might want to consider putting it up quickly in a casual bun or braid when you are outside but not going anywhere special? If only to keep your hair protected more often so you can prevent more damage from happening.

Debra83
March 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I wear my hair down 95% of the time since joining LHC. The most damage I've caused to my hair since joining, I just found out 3 weeks ago, is from the ponytails I've been putting my hair in occasionally. I've even made a point of no elastics, but use the scrunchies, and knit hair ties! It's very frustrating.

Roseate
March 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I've been flirting with cones again, and I find it works best for me if I do one coney product at a time. So if I use a coney conditioner I use a conefree leave-in, or the other way around. This lets me get the slippery-shiny benefits of cones without as much of the negatives.

Tigermama
March 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
3azza, you are my hair idol! I am going to try some serums. Do you recommend one in particular? When I was younger my hair had the same texture as yours, before I ruined it with abuse. I am going for waist length virgin hair and slowly cutting off the damage now. Your hair is so beautiful!!! Mine seems to take forever to grow, due to the curls. I can get spirals or waves, depending on what I put in it and how it dries. I am going to try leaving my hair down and be careful for a little while. I notice a lot of shedding when it is up for too long due to pulling.

Lianna
March 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Your ends could feel that way because of protein overload too, so check your coneless conditioners (they usually have protein). Personally I have no problem with cones, as long they aren't built up! Although I wear my hair up quite a lot, most women in my country don't, and most of them have long and pretty hair. So I wouldn't say wearing it down a lot would keep you from growing healthy long hair.

PhillyGirl1978@
March 5th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'm the same way with my hair as far as leaving it down (and making other people jelous, haha) but honestly my hair was worse with cones. I'm doing the no-poo thing and that plus being more conciensious of how i brush and take care of my hair has left it much less damaged.

That being said, hair care is a lot like skin care. What works for me might not work for you. Your hair might benefit from the cones or it might get by fine with a bit of oil (and maybe a more protective style that still shows it off, like a braid).

Yes....definitely making people jealous! lol I did the no cone for a while and my hair did grow fast, ( I think that may have also had to do with my diet and the fact that I stopped blow drying and relaxing) But while it was loooong....it felt awful. SO I know I can grow hair fast, I think maybe the cones will help with the snarls...I guess we'll see.

PhillyGirl1978@
March 5th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I can't stress enough how great coconut oil is! Its what kept my hair damage free and healthy while I bleached it to blonde. If you haven't already, go out and buy coconut oil (I know you recently went to WholeFoods you can definitely find it there) and apply it as a leave-in.

As for going back to cones, if you know that your hair likes them then by all means use them! Different people have different hair which have different needs. Some hate cones, some love cones. Just remember that you will need to clarify with a proper shampoo. If you do want to use a coney serum, do follow spidermom's suggestion and make sure your hair is lightly oiled first before you put the serum on top of it.

And I know that you prefer to wear it down a lot, but just maybe you might want to consider putting it up quickly in a casual bun or braid when you are outside but not going anywhere special? If only to keep your hair protected more often so you can prevent more damage from happening.

Thanks...I have some Palmers Coconut oil, and some Africa's Best Herbal Oil...I will be washing today with 365 and then conditioning with non coney moisturizing conditioner. I'll let that sit a while...later I will condition with coney conditioner.. and use some coney shine serum. Before I was though...I will spritz with water and oil my ends.

PhillyGirl1978@
March 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Your ends could feel that way because of protein overload too, so check your coneless conditioners (they usually have protein). Personally I have no problem with cones, as long they aren't built up! Although I wear my hair up quite a lot, most women in my country don't, and most of them have long and pretty hair. So I wouldn't say wearing it down a lot would keep you from growing healthy long hair.

I think that may have been it...or most of it. I had hennaed (over and over and over) and the ends were more hennaed than the rest. So I think that might have made them crunchy and feel awful...unfortunately in that sitch I had to cut. But I think that really made it feel as crunchy and damaged as it did beings I am trying to grow all the henna out and start over, it's not really a loss...beings I would have had to do it anyway.

3azza
March 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
3azza, you are my hair idol! I am going to try some serums. Do you recommend one in particular? When I was younger my hair had the same texture as yours, before I ruined it with abuse. I am going for waist length virgin hair and slowly cutting off the damage now. Your hair is so beautiful!!! Mine seems to take forever to grow, due to the curls. I can get spirals or waves, depending on what I put in it and how it dries. I am going to try leaving my hair down and be careful for a little while. I notice a lot of shedding when it is up for too long due to pulling.
Thanks tigermama. :D I don't know what's available where you live but i use coney stuff like pertplus leave ins or ultra do from garnier, the one with avocado oil and shea butter. My hair hates pantene.

Firefox7275
March 19th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I am trying to cut back on cones, not because I think they are 'evil' but because I am learning there are ways to nourish AND protect your hair simultaneously. :) Apparently both coconut oil and shea butter have a modest SPF - Fox's Conditioning Cream contains both, the recipe should come up if you run a search.