PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion about two toned hair?

juliaxena
March 4th, 2011, 09:02 AM
When someone is growing out their natural hair color, do you find the roots and lenght color difference horrible or tolerable? I have about 4 inches of natural hair now and feel like I let go of myself when I see the two different tones. Like I have not cared about my look for some time, do you know what I mean? But the thing is temporary dye on my lenght is just too much work because I have to redo it every two weeks. I am contemplating just giving up the temporary dye and have two toned hair for the next 3 or 4 years but it sounds creepy to me. So is it or is it just my perception is a bit too strict?

Photokissa
March 4th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I'm sort of weird about this...when I see other people with two toned hair I just kind of shrug and think "oh they're growing out their hair dye." On ME...I absolutely cannot stand it. lol. It's very bizarre, I know :)

oktobergoud
March 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM
It reaaaally depends on the colour and length and everything. On some people it looks like a bit of 'ombre hair' which I think is AWESOME. If it's just a few inches than.. well.. I honestly find it not so awesome. But most of the time I don't really mind, really. I always wonder if they're either too lazy to dye it again or wanting to grow it out and why hehe. It just makes me wonder, I'm a curious person haha :P

littlenvy
March 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
On myself, I HATE IT! I can't stand having anything but one uniform colour. I even hate highlights. It probably comes from the fact that my hair is very thin and that shows even more when the colour is not even.
I hate the two tone so much that when I decided to grow out the dye I actually went and dyed my hair my natural colour (had to creat my own mix) so it would all blend together. But this time I did use a better and more hair friendly dye for this :)

akka naeda
March 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I've never thought anything of it apart from "that person's growing out dye".

I am now 2+ years into growing out henna over salt and pepper hair, and I'm not bothered about it on myself either.

elbow chic
March 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Depends. I once saw a lady with waist-length hair that was half silver and half a chestnut brown with a pretty clear line of demarkation, obviously growing out dyed hair.

If I were her I'd have just cut off the dyed part once it got to chin and started over.

But I've seen other grow-outs that I thought actually looked cooler than the natural hair would by itself.

Black hair with deep cherry red? cool. Mid-brown growing out honey blonde? pretty, too.

Anje
March 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I tend to see it as a necessary evil, but I only really notice it if the colors are really in stark contrast to each other, and that's only a necessary step for people with light colored hair who have dyed it dark. Hair that has been lightened can pretty easily be darkened to be at least similar to the natural color, so you don't tend to see a whole lot of two-tone folks on that side.

I don't see a lot of 2-toned folks, honestly. Probably because I'm surrounded by college students. :)

Angeletti
March 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
When I start to get noticeable roots coming in I run for the hair dye because I think it looks horrible on myself. As for others I might not like the look, but it's their hair so I could care less.

spidermom
March 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
It doesn't bother me. Sometimes it looks pretty cool, actually.

Every time I have colored and decided to stop, I just let it grow out. I always thought I'd only be asking for more trouble/damage by trying to color correct.

LadyCelestina
March 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
...It really depends how much does the difference between the two colours burn my eyes.Which is mostly never,I mostly just get to the "Oh,growing out dye,good luck" thought and no further.

But Iīve seen a few "OhmygodpleasenonoNO!!!" examples of two toned hair too.Guess they were more like failed hair experiments,but it certainly wasnīt pretty in my eyes.

...A lot also depends on the overall condition of the hair,if I see healthy hair,two toned or not,itīs beautiful.

selderon
March 4th, 2011, 09:40 AM
It depends on the difference in color and whether it looks intentional.

If you're really bothered by the difference you might see a good colorist about coloring the ends to match (or more gently transition from) the newer growth.

ladylovecraft
March 4th, 2011, 10:33 AM
It depends. Once it gets past a certain point and has that ombre hair effect, I always think it looks good. However, if the hair was previously darkened and the roots are lighter, it always looks weird to me. The other way around looks kind of good, I think.

But I never judge anyone with massive roots either way. Even if it's not a look I admire, I never think "that's gross" or anything to that effect. It's just someone who hasn't had the time to update their roots or is intentionally growing out dye. *shrug*

SurprisingWoman
March 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I just bit the bullet and lived with it. I cut it off as soon as it was long enough though. Pics are in my album.

When I see someone else I know what they are doing there because I have been there. I feel for them but I admire them for having the stones to grow their hair out.

I am not a huge fan of the demarcation line when it's long enough to cut but that's just me. I know a lot of people here are growing out color and have the grow out line that is quite long. I think that's good too. It's your hair, make yourself happy.

BrightEyes7
March 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'm currently growing out dye. I have about 4-5 inches of roots now.

My natural color is dark blonde/light brown. I dyed my hair dark brown but it has faded to a golden dark blonde. I kinda like how it looks. It blends ok, and at times the line is kinda noticeable but for the most part it looks ok. I've been tempted to dye my hair again, but then I remind myself how much better my hair quality has been since I stopped coloring it.

And besides, I'm really curious as to what my hair color will look like once it's grown out. It lightens as it gets longer, and I haven't seen my natural color since I was like 11.

Rocket22
March 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I like it if it's not too drastic. I like a soft fade throughout the hair I think it looks very cool and natural

pepperminttea
March 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
On others I just think "ah, they're growing out" but on me, I really hated the harsh line. I think if I was growing out dye these days I'd get highlights on the virgin hair just for a few inches to blend it more, or dye the length to match my roots. Back in the day however, these bright ideas didn't occur to me, and I sported the two-toned look for a long while. :p

BabyRay33
March 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I dont really think badly of anyone who has this, but on me, it is struggle to avoid the dye. I'm doing well avoiding it, I had highlights done in late October and have resisted since then, but I can see the line, and I wish I couldn't. But I am going to be stong and avoid ruining the progress I made by throwing more dye in the mix. If when it is BSL or so and I dont like it, then I'll think about doing all over color maybe.

paleogirl
March 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I am right there with you! I have light brown hair growing out a dark red. Love the red but it was making me shed. So we shall see if I can stand it.

NouvelleNymphe2
March 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM
doesn't bother me, i was rather two toned when i decided to stop using chemicals. i had a pixie at the time and just chopped the darker color out little by little. of course it didn't take that long as i had cut back to pixie. either way i just think that someone is in the process of growing out their natural hair.

MandyBeth
March 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Mine isn't a hard line, but it's the henna shade is SO horrible and awful, I can't stand it. So until it's to a length I can cut it off, I'm dying over it to my natural color.

vanillabones
March 4th, 2011, 02:00 PM
When I had blonde hair it took me about 2 months before I had to do the roots, my hair grows painfully slow and I really didn't mind getting a cm or 2 of roots, I kind of even liked it hehe. But I absolutely hate seeing it on other people. I think it looks... kind of trashy :( but that would correspond with their wardrobe as well.

Before this site when I saw people with massive roots I never once considered that they were growing it out! I just assumed they were lazy and I was so internally tempted to point it out to them that "uhhh you haven't done your roots in a year!" ~_~ I understand it now.

However I think growing out a drastic bleach job with dark brown roots is just unforgivable. The blown out cuticles of the bleach always show a drastic change in the texture of the hair and there are MULTIPLE non-damaging ways to darken the bleach even a few shades to get it closer to brown. Even red could be excused. I just hate the bleach blonde with dark roots it drives me absolutely crazy :(

Roseate
March 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I've never thought anything of it apart from "that person's growing out dye".

That's about it. I don't spend much more time on it than that.

It's a necessary step on the way to getting your natural color back, doesn't bother me to see it. Sometimes it looks really cool, sometimes not so much, but it's just a means to an end. (It really did drive me nuts on my own head though, I know how you feel there!)

Lianna
March 4th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I always liked Sarah Jessica Parker's intentional two (http://images.imagensdeposito.com/fotos/w/wallpaper_de_sarah_jessica_parker-34029.jpg) tone (http://beautyeditor.ca/wp-content/uploads/Sarah-Jessica-Parker-Ombre-hair.jpg) hair. :p

Defined one inch roots I don't like so much, but it would be only for a while until it grows out a little bit.

On myself, I like my dyed light roots.

leslissocool
March 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Depends. I once saw a lady with waist-length hair that was half silver and half a chestnut brown with a pretty clear line of demarkation, obviously growing out dyed hair.

If I were her I'd have just cut off the dyed part once it got to chin and started over.

But I've seen other grow-outs that I thought actually looked cooler than the natural hair would by itself.

Black hair with deep cherry red? cool. Mid-brown growing out honey blonde? pretty, too.

That's exactly what I think... Some colors just look cool to grow out :)

IcarusBride
March 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I don't think it's a big deal. It's obvious if you are growing out your natural hair and have a demarcation line, or if you are intentionally having two-toned hair. I really really hate the look of intentionally two-toned hair, though!
What I did was dye all of my hair to my natural color and then stop dyeing from then on. By now I've cut off all the previously dyed hair already.

Tatybird
March 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I guess I can't give an objective answer as I've been growing out my natural hair for over a year now. And as a result, I have two-toned hair:o
If I see someone like me now, I feel sorry for this person. Also I try to imagine how long this person has been growing out her hair (I've never seen guys with two-toned hair:o ). I've definitely changed my opinion about two-toned hair since I gave up the dye. Before I really disliked it. I couldn't understand that and always thought that a person with such hair simply didn't care about the way she looked. Now I feel bad about the way I thought and consider it to be just a juvenile ignorance:o

RecklessCharlie
March 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Well I have two-toned hair but it isn't because of dye. My hair just lightens drastically at the ends, I think it has to do with sun exposure and being 'old' hair. It looks subtle when my hair is down but if you hold the ends against the crown there's a huge difference. I don't mind, it shakes things up a bit :)

McFearless
March 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I love it, work it baby.

gypsymoth
March 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I think it depends. If it looks very natural or seems like the person is trying to grow their hair out, I don't think it's bad. But whenever I see someone with dark brown hair and bleach blonde highlights, I think it makes their hair look kind of...Greasy. :?

Some color combinations are pretty cool and some people can pull them off really well. Others, not so much.

Fufu
March 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Txwo tone is fine for me because I have three tone coloure on my head now, my black regrown roots, blonde streaks and medium ash Boone hair color on my head. I do intend to color my hair next month shall see what my hairstylist recommends

knoxkatie
March 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM
honestly i'm not a huge fan of two-toned hair, even of the ombre hair fad. when i quit coloring my hair i just dyed it one last time to something close to my natural hair color. that way i didn't have to hate my hair for 2 years. i had been dying my hair every several months for years so one last time wasn't going to make much of a difference.

rhosyn_du
March 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I actually really like two-toned hair in most cases, once the roots are longer than a couple inches. The only time I'm not fond of it is when the roots are notably more/less red than the rest, which is why I keep putting off growing out my henna, even though I've been considering it for quite a while. As long as the colors are in the same warmth/coolness range, though, it can look anywhere from fairly natural (if the shades are close) to neat (if the shades are clearly separate, but still in same "category," such as blonde or brown) to funky (if the shades are totally disparate, like someone with silver or very pale blonde hair growing out black dye, which I think is a fantastic look).

walterSCAN
March 4th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Well, I've currently got 3-tone hair going on! Heh, natural light-light brown roots for maybe an inch, henna for 11-12 inches, then dark brown chemical dye for the rest... It's actually blending much better than I had any reason to expect at the moment, as I just haven't had time to re-do my henna in a while. The henna/dark brown fades pretty seamlessly into each other, I think. So, it's not bothering me much because it's a surprisingly not-stark contrast.

As regards other people's hair, I've never really cared much. I usually just assume they are growing it out. :shrug:

rogue_psyche
March 5th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I'm a two-toner. I bleached my hair and dyed it green and then magenta in 2009, and am still growing out the bleach with the help of henna). It was most annoying to me when the dye started at the eyebrow to chin length. Once passed chin it was almost believable that it is just sun bleaching. I'm at my goal now so I'm just trimming growth and watching the bleach disappear an inch at a time...

I don't really notice it on other people, unless the colors vary drastically. Then I just sympathize with them because I've been in their place.

Noula
March 5th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I think it's great when people let their hair be what it is so it makes me a little happy whenever I see someone who looks like they're growing out their natural hair.

rosek
March 5th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Over time, the dye will fade and the colours will blend better. I also find wearing it up all the time helps me not notice it/worry about it!

Lady-Djenevre
March 5th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I think someone with bleached hair and dark roots showing looks trashy and lower class. If that was me and growing it out I would wear a wig until the dark roots were a decent length then cut off all the blonde and start again. At least my hair would be all the one colour and I wouldnt look like a bag lady.

jayde9
March 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I am in the process of growing out Dye, hate having two toned hair on myslef. But I dont think it looks bad on others!

ilovelonghair
March 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I am kind of wondering if I should grow my henna out or keep on henna-ing. I did my last henna about 7 or 8 weeks ago and there is a huge outgrow so I can see what my natural hair color really is like haha, wasn't so sure what color it was. My partner likes my natural color, so that made me wonder, but to have to wait 4 years to grow it out... a bit long!

Mine isn't a hard line, but it's the henna shade is SO horrible and awful, I can't stand it. So until it's to a length I can cut it off, I'm dying over it to my natural color.

Is that possible to dye it back to your own color over henna? I am medium-dark blond and my henna is coppery-red.

GlennaGirl
March 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have always simply assumed the person was growing out. That's probably from my personal experience -- I've grown colors out so many times that I've been two-toned quite a bit.

Mesmerise
March 7th, 2011, 02:29 PM
When I see it on other people it depends... sometimes it looks like they haven't yet got around to retouching their roots (this is the case if there's only a couple of inches of root), and if there's more root, I'd assume they were growing it out.

Do I like the look? Well...no... I think when I get to the stage that I decide to let my hair go grey, I'll just shave off the henna and start again, cause I really don't think bright red length and grey roots is gonna be a hot look, and there's no way I'm going to look like that for several YEARS while it grows out!! While I hate "starting from scratch" with my hair, I think I'll just do it then and like shave it all off!!!

However, for other hair colours... not henna going to grey which I think would be really hard to fix... If I was going from blonde to brown for example, I'd just dye the blonde closer to my natural colour. If I was going from darker hair back to lighter, I'd get the ends stripped of their dye and if necessary again redyed closer to natural. It really, really also depends on the extent of difference... sometimes the dye has already faded and the hair blends fairly well, in that case it's no big deal to just grow it out.

HeatherG
March 7th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I have had two toned hair for as long as I can remember from when I started dying my hair and I have come love it, It makes things interesting and your never stuck with one color, but my opinion may be biased since I have come to love it haha

juliaxena
March 7th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Ok, thanks for your opinions although they might be discouraging by some. I am really unhappy about my hair since I started the natural route and the long hair journey seems not very pleasant sofar. It will take 4 years with my growth rate to grow out the dye. Sigh...

GypsyGoddess
March 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
On me, two toned hair happens naturally. My ends are always much lighter than my roots and the longer my hair has been the more obvious the color difference became. When I was at BSL/midback my roots were a nice ashy deep brown and my ends were dark blonde. I'm hoping better hair care will eliminate some if it this time around (plus not using the acne products that were lightning hair around the face) but it happens.

When you said two-toned hair, I thought you meant people who dye the crown a different color than the nape, and sometimes that looks cool, but it really depends on how it is done. Sometimes it looks very indie-rocker and sometimes it makes me think of a skunk.

Lianna
March 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I just have to share this beautiful photo (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CGLdqJeAlws/TS46lEnT8DI/AAAAAAAAAuU/ubIRNAZtq7Y/s320/ombre+hair.jpg). :D I'm actually thinking about dyeing 3-4 inches of roots golden brown (http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/hair-colour/all-over-color/excellence/golden-brown.aspx), and have a little intentional ombre going on. :cheese:

lyria
March 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I think it really does depend on the colors. In college there was this girl who was growing out her dark brown hair dye. Her natural color was ash blonde. Unfortunately, from across a room, it just looked like she was balding! She ended up dying everything red anyway, but a more gradual transition between the dark brown and ash blonde might have been a good idea! (I am usually not a fan of intentionally two toned like "ombre".)

ilovelonghair
March 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I love that picture! In that case it looks really good. But how long does it take till the outgrow is there!

Lianna
March 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I love that picture! In that case it looks really good. But how long does it take till the outgrow is there!

If somebody doesn't wanna wait to the outgrow, they can do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zgorzId6c). The results were actually really nice. I plan to do it later this week.

Would be much less agony while starting the growing out process. I'm not planning to go all virgin someday, but I wanna try the ombre look, even though my hair is short. I like Sarah Jessica Parker's look in particular because there's a few highlights near the face.

Phexlyn
March 9th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I think the first few inches are the hardest to live with because it tends to look like you've just missed your last colouring appointment (no offense). I've seen photos around here of glorious two-toned hair, for example a henna-red bun against brown virgin hair on the head which looked pretty and unique. I'm not sure I could grow out my own hair with a sharp demarcation line, I'd probably try to soften things out a bit, but apart from that?
Nothing wrong with growing out dye, and that's what I think of it on other people's heads as well :)

RedheadMistress
March 9th, 2011, 06:02 AM
- I love it, even on my own hair and others .

I like hair that is more than two tones too, like my own .

One of my friends had black hair but bleached her roots and dyed pink so it's pink bleeding into black, so beautiful .

didrash
March 9th, 2011, 06:36 AM
For me it depends on the difference in colors. I really do not like very dark natural hair with bleached ends, for example. Dark natural and red dye or lighter natural and darker dye do not bother me.

paleogirl
March 9th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I asked my husband about the "line". He says that they are pretty close in color so it isn't very noticeable. Which I am glad of bc I am going virgin and didn't want to try and match or get closer to my natural. I don't think they make semi-boring brown in dye colors anyway.

I am excited bc I measure my virgin growth 2.25" which means I have grown .25" since starting with the LHC. Cool.

I will probably be able to cut/trim at the end of this year to bring it up a bit closer to the line. Right now I am doing the no trim in 2011 challenge too.

juliaxena
March 9th, 2011, 07:46 AM
If somebody doesn't wanna wait to the outgrow, they can do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zgorzId6c). The results were actually really nice. I plan to do it later this week.

Would be much less agony while starting the growing out process. I'm not planning to go all virgin someday, but I wanna try the ombre look, even though my hair is short. I like Sarah Jessica Parker's look in particular because there's a few highlights near the face.

That's genious! Thanks!