PDA

View Full Version : Curlies going straight in wedding movies

julliams
March 4th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I'm currently watching two wedding movies back to back - Kate Hudson in Bride Wars and Debra Messing in The Wedding Date (only watching the opening at this point - it might get curly later). Both girls are known for having curly/wavy locks but for some reason in these movies, both actresses have straightned hair. And in both movies their hair looks dryer than normal and a bit overdone which is honestly how I feel my own hair goes when I try to straighten it.

I can't help wondering if the stylists don't know how to "do" a natural curly look when it can't be air-dried and I'm presuming they just don't have 4 hours to kill waiting for it to dry. I know when I go to a hairdresser, the assumption is that I want it to be straightened.

Or is it because they are wedding movies and the idea of "perfection" is in order so they have gone for straight hair.

Don't get me wrong, I love straight hair but I can't help wondering why they wouldn't have gone with these girls natural hair.

Just thinking out loud really - got a bit of time on my hands - lol

pepperminttea
March 4th, 2011, 04:55 AM
The weird thing is, whenever I see brides (in movies or IRL), they always have their hair curled.

julliams
March 4th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I guess this is the "organising the wedding" part that I'm talking about - sorry, should have been clear about that. For the actual wedding Kate had her hair up. Still watching Debra and it's straight as can be at this point. Maybe it gets curly for the wedding as a kind of "reveal"?

I'm sure my original post has no point actually. I blame it on watching too much television this evening and being a little bored.

julliams
March 4th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Ok Debra's hair just got curly but it's curling iron curly.

enfys
March 4th, 2011, 06:23 AM
The storyline bit is interesting, that they straigtened their hair. For weddings, most people go for curling iron curly to ensure their hair is uniform I assumed so that's believeable.

Maybe it was so the wedding day updo would stand out more? "Oooh lovely curls" rather than them being the norm?

elbow chic
March 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Maybe that straight look is easier to maintain uniformly over multiple days of shooting?

You know how wavy/curly hair never looks exactly the same from one day to the next-- it would be weird to watch a movie and suddenly the actress has wurls halfway through a scene that she didn't have at the beginning of it.

morecowbell
March 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM
You know, I was thinking about this yesterday while watching TV. On the episode of Scrubs where Turk and Carla get married, Carla straightens her amazing curls for the rehearsal dinner, but is heat styled curly for the wedding... weird coincidence, OP :D
I think some of it has to do with having different hair for a special occasion. I've been known to try and curl my straight hair for date nights and whatnot. :)

Photokissa
March 4th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I think they end up curling hair with a curling iron because they can better "control" the curls. Plus we all have to look like the same exact bride, ya know! :D When I was planning my wedding I always joked about the "bridal uniform" of which includes the sleek and curling ironed updo. I really wish individuality was treasured more...I really do.

luxepiggy
March 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Maybe that straight look is easier to maintain uniformly over multiple days of shooting?

You know how wavy/curly hair never looks exactly the same from one day to the next-- it would be weird to watch a movie and suddenly the actress has wurls halfway through a scene that she didn't have at the beginning of it.

This was my first thought too - that it's easier to achieve the same look over and over with straight hair, to maintain consistency within scenes that may need to be shot in pieces over several days.